What if Roosevelt admired Germany instead of disliking it/ How much do leaders influence the policies of their countries?

Franklin Roosevelt disliked Germany. He developed his dislike for the country in his childhood when he visited it with his parents and lived there for a few months and because of his parents that were Germanophobic. Once President he pursued a hostile policy towards Germany based on his antipathy. But what if Roosevelt had developed a liking towards Germany instead of an antipathy? Would the US still have enacted Cash and Carry and Lend Lease and hunted German Uboats in the Atlantic? Or would it have remained neutral? How much would it have mattered if the President had actually liked Germany?

It would seem that the attitudes of Leaders towards another country are extremely important in shaping the policy of their country: When Empress Elizabeth of Russia was succeeded by her nephew Peter he swiftly reversed Elizabeth's war policy and negotiated peace with Prussia, with an armistice in March and a treaty of peace and friendship signed.

Franklin Roosevelt disliked Germany. He developed his dislike for the country in his childhood when he visited it with his parents and lived there for a few months and because of his parents that were Germanophobic. Once President he pursued a hostile policy towards Germany based on his antipathy. But what if Roosevelt had developed a liking towards Germany instead of an antipathy? Would the US still have enacted Cash and Carry and Lend Lease and hunted German Uboats in the Atlantic? Or would it have remained neutral? How much would it have mattered if the President had actually liked Germany?

It would seem that the attitudes of Leaders towards another country are extremely important in shaping the policy of their country: When Empress Elizabeth of Russia was succeeded by her nephew Peter he swiftly reversed Elizabeth's war policy and negotiated peace with Prussia, with an armistice in March and a treaty of peace and friendship signed.
What is the evidence for the early dislike of Germany (as opposed to after fighting a war against them when they were sinking American ships?)

What is the evidence for the early dislike of Germany (as opposed to after fighting a war against them when they were sinking American ships?)
As I have written: His Parents were Germanophobic and Roosevelt spent - I think 3 Months - in Germany where he went to a public school and didnt like it because normally he went into private schools.

As I have written: His Parents were Germanophobic and Roosevelt spent - I think 3 Months - in Germany where he went to a public school and didnt like it because normally he went into private schools.
Source for his Germanophobia over and above "I said so"? Why would his "Germanophobic" parents choose to teach him German if they hated the country? Why would they choose to eroll him at a German school when they could have continued to educate him privately? Why was he described as engaging and polite at that school if he was already Germanophobic?
Willing to be corrected if there is evidence.

Sara Roosevelt employed several tutors to teach Franklin mathematics, history, Latin, French and German. His most important teacher was a young Swiss woman named Jeanne Rosat-Sandoz, who not only taught him modern languages but attempted to instill a sense of social responsibility. He later wrote to her, "I have often thought that it was you, more than anyone else, who laid the foundation for my education." (8)

The family spent a lot of time travelling in Europe. The first school he attended was in Bad Nauheim. Sara insisted that nine-year-old Franklin be enrolled in the local school to improve his German. His schoolmaster, Christian Bommersheim, later commented: "His parents put him in my class and he impressed me very quickly as an unusually bright young fellow. He had such an engaging manner, and he was always so polite that he was soon one of the most popular children in the school." (11)

A lot of people had problems with Germany and for good reason! And that's setting aside how the Germany of the 1890s was not the Germany of the 1930s and 40s. There's much more evidence that FDR had beef with the Japanese going back quite awhile with corresponding actions taken during their invasion of China.

I imagine any dislike FDR had of Germany as President might have had something to do with the Nazi dictatorship in charge of it.

Garrison

Donor
Roosevelt's actions were not defined by him being a Germanophobe or an Anglophile, if they had been he would never have been able to get his plans past congress. The fact was Nazi Germany was an aggressive, expansionist power and posed a genuine threat. Britain was a friendly power and if it was forced to capitulate to the Nazis the threat from Germany would increase exponentially.

I have to doubt that Roosevelt and his family were absolute Germanophobes.

Naziphobes. Definitely. Wilhelmineophobes probably/maybe more than likely.

Being from a pre-revolutionary family it's probably more than likely the Roosevelt family had a touch of German themselves.

And if they were so Germanophobic why did he appoint the likes of Eisenhower to so senior a position? Nimitz anyone?

Probably because he didn't associate ethnicity with the current or recent politics of the 'homeland'.

Besides, wouldn't it have been political suicide to be so Germanophobe in a country where those of German ancestry are the largest ethnic ancestry of the white Americans?

And most of those 'German'-Americans didn't fit the Nazi/Wilhemine mold. Most of the pre-revolutionary stock had mixed into the British nationalities - only the surnames remained. The next surge following the 1848 revolutions were of a liberal bent and overwhelmingly fought against the Confederacy.

Those that followed were again escaping the suffocation of imperialist states.

So I don't think this charge of Germanophobia has any grounding.

What FDR thinks of Germany pre Dec 6 is not tgat important.
On Dec 7th the War comes to the US. Period
And Unless things change a LOT Germany probably still DOWs the US soon thereafter. Even if they dont. At some point Congress will DOW Germany, it is simply when.
The big difference is if FDR changes his instructions to the Navy and avoids the undeclared war at sea. But i doubt he will. FDR was to involved with the Navy in WW1 to not be upset about the subs Germany is using in WW2. So his past experience was likly going to override everything else and as a result he still mostly likely orders the Navy to do what it did and we still get Germany DOWing the US and thus WW2 does not change much if any at all.

For as much as folks seam to think about Germany when talking about WW2 (i often wonder if this is because GB writes so many of the nooks on the war and they understandably consider that the more important theater) For the US WW2 was a result of Japan. And FDR could have been Hitlers Brother and that will still not change the way the US was pulled into the war. So the war is happening. And odds are Germany still declaira war on the US right on schedule. As AH was a moron.

Well it matters a lot more in countries where the government is controlled primarily by one person or a small group of people, like your example of Russia, it could also apply to dictatorships. Although not every leader is going to put their personal views on a country first, it just depends how they think