What if Qatar lost the rights to host the World Cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if FIFA took away Qatar's rights to host the World Cup after they used slave workers to build their stadiums? It's not likely to have been possible, but still, just think about it.

Scenario 1: All other countries (except Iran) host three or four home games. Eligible countries in Groups A and B will host four (with Iran having major political tensions) while those in Groups C through H will host three.
Scenario 2: Each group will play their games in select European countries represented in each group, with the final being held in London.
Scenario 3: The World Cup altogether moves to another country.

Scenario 3.

Had FIFA acted on the Garcia Report right around the time the DoJ hurled the book at Blatter et al in 2015 it could have been moved somewhere that could have been ready to host on quick notice. If you want to keep it in AFC you’ve got Japan, Korea or even Australia right there to go, which is probably the likeliest route - one of those three

Scenario 1
Assuming Scenario 1 will happen (as if it will ever happen, which I think is impossible), these might have been the stadiums.

In Group A, we have the one and only ArenA in Amsterdam, alongside venues in Dakar and Guayaquil. All three countries would be first-time hosts.
1669863410582.png

In Group B are three legendary venues, two of which hosted the World Cup Final (one did so in its original incarnation). I would expect to hear some loud singing of the Welsh national anthem from the Welsh fans. Meanwhile, with the Rose Bowl, I would've chosen Atlanta, New York, or even Ann Arbor (just imagine the atmosphere of a World Cup game at Michigan Stadium in front of over 100,000 fans!), but I ultimately chose perhaps the most legendary ground in America.
1669863872650.png

In Group C, we also have some legends, with legendary players playing in them. Could Messi, Ochoa, and Lewandowski please their fans?
1669863996659.png

In Group D, we obviously have the home stadium of the world champions, which also won at the same stadium in 1998. Meanwhile, the Socceroos could pull off with a big win at their most notable ground as they did in 2005 against Uruguay.
1669864117964.png

In Group E lies two historic stadiums, playing host to some of the game's most legendary stars. Meanwhile, Saitama would be honoured to have World Cup hosting duties as they did in 2002.
1669864408340.png

In Group F are some not-so-well-known venues. Despite this, I'd still have the chance to fly all the way to Vancouver to watch my country play in the World Cup after 36 long years. But hey, what can you do? This is a what if scenario, after all. It will not happen ever, unless FIFA somehow makes that decision.
1669864510240.png

In Group E, the one and only Maracanã is back eight years after hosting the 2014 World Cup Final and six years after the Olympics. Meanwhile, Belgrade could be seeing some unbelievable atmosphere, while Yaoundé, just months after the 2022 AFCON Final, would already be hosting significant games.
1669864628496.png

And finally, in Group H, the World Cup is back in Uruguay after 96 years! It has also been 20 years since Seoul last saw World Cup action. Meanwhile, Ronaldo would be thrilled to play in front of his home fans, especially when they shout "SIUUUUUUU!!!"
1669864806964.png

Again, this is only a what if scenario. And the most unrealistic of the three I mentioned.

I believe the US was the runner up for the 2022 World Cup. Is it possible for FIFA to reward the second place winner in the voting in the event the first place selection is revoked? Or if the US remains committed to 2026 then South Korea (which came in third place) may step in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.