What If: Norway holds Iceland, Faroerne and Greenland

abc123

Banned
So, what if, danish king in 1814., after beeing a ally of Napoleo, is forced to cede Norway with Greenland, Iceland and Faroerne to Sweden?
And so, today Norway has Iceland, Faroerne and Groenland?

Well, all of them would be probably get indepentent after Nazi occupation of Norway, just like in Denmark OTL.

All were occupied by the Allies OTL-that wouldn't change. Iceland would presumably follow the same course as OTL, but I don't think the Faeroes would be a viable independent state. Certainly Greenland would not. Both would return to Norway.

You do realize that this POD would butterfly away the Nazis, right? ;):rolleyes:

In any case, if Norway's North Atlantic possessions were still attached to it, this creates a pretty interesting situation at home. Would the Storting actually be called the Alting in imitation of Iceland, for example? Would Norway become a republic with all of its possessions? How would the Riksmål-Bokmål/Landsmål-Nynorsk-Høgsnorsk dispute be handled in this case (i.e. would Ivar Aasen heavily borrow more from Icelandic/Faroese for Nynorsk, or would Knud Knudsen recommend his spelling reforms)?

Just some ideas to throw out there.

Would the Storting actually be called the Alting in imitation of Iceland, for example? Not very likely as the Allting was dissolved between 1799 and 1844 in otl, and Stortinget is from 1814. Btw a Allting is in Norwegian contex a specific typ of Ting, so Storting work better.

Would Norway become a republic with all of its possessions?
The population is too of said areas are too small to have any say in that vote.

How would the Riksmål-Bokmål/Landsmål-Nynorsk-Høgsnorsk dispute be handled in this case (i.e. would Ivar Aasen heavily borrow more from Icelandic/Faroese for Nynorsk, or would Knud Knudsen recommend his spelling reforms)?
They wont dont change the Landsmål vs Rigsmål conflict in the 1800`s, Aasens construct might be use more Norse but i doubt it. He did not actually bas it on how talked in otl.

Again the population of those areas is not large enought to do anything when the Samnorsk debates starts in the 50`s.

The problem of Samnorsk would if anything be worse.

You do realize that this POD would butterfly away the Nazis, right? ;):rolleyes:

Yeah, yeah, no butterfly nets here... good riddance anyway.:) I think, whatever weird turns history takes, Greenland and the Faeroe Islands are likely to remain with whatever state has them (except possibly in some Cold War-esque strategic situation). Iceland can go it alone and probably will when it gets a chance (as happened OTL).

My grandmother is from Iceland. Tell me how her people would prevent the Nazis.

Indeed, I see the butterfly effect thrown around a lot, and half the time it isn't exactly reasonable to assume anything. Iceland, Greenland and the Faroes being handed over to another power post Napoleon doesn't exactly have any links to WWI, the rise of fascism or WWII. Especially seeing as Norway was more or less neutral in the entire era until it was invaded. Why should Norway having Denmark's OTL colonies butterfly away any of the 20th Century?

Indeed, I see the butterfly effect thrown around a lot, and half the time it isn't exactly reasonable to assume anything. Iceland, Greenland and the Faroes being handed over to another power post Napoleon doesn't exactly have any links to WWI, the rise of fascism or WWII. Especially seeing as Norway was more or less neutral in the entire era until it was invaded. Why should Norway having Denmark's OTL colonies butterfly away any of the 20th Century?
I don't think you understand the butterfly effect. The butterfly effect means that a small effect (like a butterfly clapping its wings in Asia) can create a large effect somewhere else (like a storm in the Americas). This is a pretty large effect. A lack of Iceland Faroes and Greenland will mean major changes within Danish politics. Beacause of the Schleswick-Holstein wars this can have major influences on German unification, which could lead to a different Germany in whicg there will never be a Nazi party (or even no first world war or Franco-Prussian/German war).

I don't think you understand the butterfly effect. The butterfly effect means that a small effect (like a butterfly clapping its wings in Asia) can create a large effect somewhere else (like a storm in the Americas). This is a pretty large effect. A lack of Iceland Faroes and Greenland will mean major changes within Danish politics. Beacause of the Schleswick-Holstein wars this can have major influences on German unification, which could lead to a different Germany in whicg there will never be a Nazi party (or even no first world war or Franco-Prussian/German war).
In particular, the chances of any particular sperm hitting an egg is miniscule, and pretty darn random.

Just 'replaying' the universe with NO changes will start getting different people pretty soon. After a PoD, you will very quickly get 'new' people. Cultural changes (absent a Great Man), are not going to happen much on the far side of the world until people/ideas start moving around, but immediately after the PoD, different sperm start hitting eggs, and your people are different. If your PoD is in Australia (pre-contact), Europeans will start being conceived with different genders, e.g., within seconds. If 'Charlemagne' is born as Charlotte, she won't be great, and history will be hugely different - even if there's no chance of cultural diffusion from Australia at that point (which there wouldn't be).

So, ya. Within months or years, you pretty much have to assume that EVERY person conceived is a different person in the ATL than they would have been in OTL.

With significant national changes, you're going to get people moving around in different ways, and that will make other changes.

So, ya, ANY change in the 1300s is going to mean no Nazi party and no Hitler.