What if Newton Baker or William Gibbs McAdoo were elected POTUS in 1932?

How could either of them be nominated and elected?

Was there any way McAdoo could make a comeback?

If elected, how would either have governed?

marathag

Banned
had this gem
McAdoo was not only a supporter of the New Deal domestically but a strong supporter of FDR's foreign policy in 1939-41: "In correspondence with Cordell Hull, McAdoo praised the Roosevelt policy of “armed neutrality” that was put into force in 1939, and was even more effusive about the “destroyers for bases” plan that was prominent in 1940.907 In fact, McAdoo suggested that the United States should request bases at Singapore and Hong Kong as well, since the security offered by our Pearl Harbor facility was so questionable!"
Don't think that's ever been covered, with USA in control of Singapore after 1940.
Would need some real armtwisting on Churchill to get that.

Would McAdoo ask for Australian and NZ troops to garrison until US forces could move in? I bet Menzies would rather have Oz troops there, than sent to the MTO

had this gem

Don't think that's ever been covered, with USA in control of Singapore after 1940.
Would need some real armtwisting on Churchill to get that.

Would McAdoo ask for Australian and NZ troops to garrison until US forces could move in? I bet Menzies would rather have Oz troops there, than sent to the MTO

Gosh - I know the US had a reputation for being less isolationist toward Asia than Europe, but taking on bases in Singapore and Hongkong in 1940 is a pretty forward-leaning policy! Especially Hongkong. And, alot of isolationist sentiment toward Europe was related towards Anglophobia, and this plan certainly does tie the US up in commitments with the British Empire.