This is an idea that's invaded my brain recently and one I just can't quite shake off. So basically what if Margaret Beaufort, otl Mother of Henry VII, was born a boy? Let's say Henry Beaufort, is born in 1443 and a year later inherits his Father's Duchy and is competent like his OTL counterpart, what now? How does this affect the Wars of the Roses? Does Edmund Beaufort still become a favourite of Henry VI? If he does could the Wars of the Roses start earlier since Richard of York will feel even more hard done by? Could Henry Beaufort become King of England?

PS. Can we try and avoid the Beaufort legitimacy/claim debacle, since that seems to be a "Whatever floats your boat" issue

Deleted member 161180

SAVE_20210409_162607.jpg

This is an idea that's invaded my brain recently and one I just can't quite shake off. So basically what if Margaret Beaufort, otl Mother of Henry VII, was born a boy? Let's say Henry Beaufort, is born in 1443 and a year later inherits his Father's Duchy and is competent like his OTL counterpart, what now? How does this affect the Wars of the Roses? Does Edmund Beaufort still become a favourite of Henry VI? If he does could the Wars of the Roses start earlier since Richard of York will feel even more hard done by? Could Henry Beaufort become King of England?

PS. Can we try and avoid the Beaufort legitimacy/claim debacle, since that seems to be a "Whatever floats your boat" issue
Tbh I don’t know if too much would change. Butterflies probably prevent ‘Johnny’ b and his descendants from being in serious consideration as pretenders to the throne.

Tbh I don’t know if too much would change. Butterflies probably prevent ‘Johnny’ b and his descendants from being in serious consideration as pretenders to the throne.
A lot would change IMO. If Edmund Beaufort is still a favourite of Henry VI it could make York feel even more hard done by because Beaufort isn’t even a Duke, which could lead to an earlier WOTR.

In terms of Henry Beaufort's upbringing and development, wouldn't a lot depend on who he is warded out to? That could effect his marriage, also.

Would he just be in his uncle's custody?

ATL Henry Beaufort would be a ward of the King, who would be free to the keep the wardship for himself or sold it to someone of his favorites. If his ATL warden has an available daughter of appropriate age she and Henry will be married.
Having the Somerset titles remaining with the lands can help to keep the situation under control, unless the Earl/Marquess of Dorset is still the greatest favorite of Henry VI and able to make damage as OTL (and push York and the Nevilles to break with the Crown). Henry VI likely will not have a rich heiress available at the right moment for his brother (but is likely who the Tudor brothers would still receive young Beaufort’s wardship and benefit from it)

Last edited: