What if Lincoln lost New York

Thande

Donor
You may found this useful: a map of the election by county. I never fail to be astonished at the media you can find on the Armenian Genocide.

I assume the grey areas mean no data (did someone burn down South Carolina's archives building during the US Civil War?)

1860prescountymap.PNG

Thanks for that map. I think that South Carolina was excluded for seceding when they did. The other grey counties I assume just didn't have polls.

South Carolina was Old School

Thanks for that map. I think that South Carolina was excluded for seceding when they did. The other grey counties I assume just didn't have polls.

Actually, South Carolina was the last state to hold on to the ORIGINAL method of choosing Electoral Votes: having the State Legislature assign the Electors. The state figured it could always be the Deciding Factor some day, I suppose.

Grey means that basically nobody lived in those counties to vote.

That map really shows interesting things for California and Oregon I must say; the least populous counties went for Breckenridge while the cities voted Lincoln and the middle-ground voted Douglas.

Plus I notice what others said earlier about the North-South split in Illinois and other parts of the Midwest.

Those counties all have their modern borders. I would suspect that a large number of the grey counties simply didn't exist at the time.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_of_the_Woods_County>

Edit: Which of course changes your map a bit, since those counties should probably be the same color as the county which they were part of at the time... and it's possible that at least a few counties existed which don't exist now (for example: they were split in two and neither kept the original name).