What If Jerry Brown in 76?

I do wonder as Jonathan has pointed out in his list of possible running mates one that I don't see brought up is Mike Gravel who was still in the Senate I believe could he be a good pick for Jerry? Also, would Jimmy accept a role in Jerry's cabinet or would he accept nothing less than being Vice President?
Mike Gravel is a Senator, holding office since 1969, but I didn’t include him as Alaska isn’t a strong state or region for the ticket. But could still be plausible.

I believe Carter would prefer a cabinet position with more powers rather than just the Vice President.

Mike Gravel is a Senator, holding office since 1969, but I didn’t include him as Alaska isn’t a strong state or region for the ticket. But could still be plausible.

I believe Carter would prefer a cabinet position with more powers rather than just the Vice President.
Could Mike Gravel help the ticket or would Jerry be better off with someone like Terry Sanford who could help him take parts of the south while keeping an outsider image? Also could Gravel put Alaska in play? Also, I'm surprised there's no Mike Gravel in 76, was there a chance for him in 1976? he did read out the pentagon papers.

Last edited:
Could Mike Gravel help the ticket or would Jerry be better off with someone like Terry Sanford who could help him take parts of the south while keeping an outsider image?
I don’t think Terry Sanford would add much to the ticket either. He hasn’t held political office since 1965, plus by the time his term was over Sanford was very unpopular in North Carolina.
Also could Gravel put Alaska in play?
The issue with Alaska is that it doesn’t bring much to the ticket. Alaska since it’s statehood had (and to date) only voted Democratic once, which was for Lyndon B. Johnson in 1964 and in the 1972 election, the whole state had less than 100,000 voters.
Also, I'm surprised there's no Mike Gravel in 76, was there a chance for him in 1976? he did read out the pentagon papers.
He is an interesting member of American politics, but I don’t know if he stands up against the other members on the list.

I don’t think Terry Sanford would add much to the ticket either. He hasn’t held political office since 1965, plus by the time his term was over Sanford was very unpopular in North Carolina.

The issue with Alaska is that it doesn’t bring much to the ticket. Alaska since it’s statehood had (and to date) only voted Democratic once, which was for Lyndon B. Johnson in 1964 and in the 1972 election, the whole state had less than 100,000 voters.

He is an interesting member of American politics, but I don’t know if he stands up against the other members on the list.
Hmmm, would Cliff Finch be a good pick? he was Governor of Mississippi at the time I believe. Also, could President Brown be reelected against Reagan or would Reagan have to be out of the picture for him to stand a chance at reelection?

Hmmm, would Cliff Finch be a good pick? he was Governor of Mississippi at the time I believe. Also, could President Brown be reelected against Reagan or would Reagan have to be out of the picture for him to stand a chance at reelection?
Finch had only been in office since January 20th of that year, Jerry has only been in high office for a year longer.
Similar to Barack Obama, Jerry Brown will need a more experienced running mate to assist with his term in office, having two fresh faces may be seen as unqualified and easy to manipulate, especially compared to Gerald Ford and Bob Dole. A Senator will know how the role of Vice President works in the Senate.

Finch had only been in office since January 20th of that year, Jerry has only been in high office for a year longer.
Similar to Barack Obama, Jerry Brown will need a more experienced running mate to assist with his term in office, having two fresh faces may be seen as unqualified and easy to manipulate, especially compared to Gerald Ford and Bob Dole. A Senator will know how the role of Vice President works in the Senate.
Hmmm, thanks also could Brown get reelected against Reagan, or would Reagan have to be taken out of the picture come 1980?

Hmmm, thanks also could Brown get reelected against Reagan, or would Reagan have to be taken out of the picture come 1980?
Two Californians would be an interesting match. It all depends on Brown’s first term.
If Brown’s approval ratings are high Reagan may wait until 1984, after losing the nomination in 1976, Reagan may decide to enter the senate against incumbent Democratic U.S. Senator John V. Tunney.

Two Californians would be an interesting match. It all depends on Brown’s first term.
If Brown’s approval ratings are high Reagan may wait until 1984, after losing the nomination in 1976, Reagan may decide to enter the senate against incumbent Democratic U.S. Senator John V. Tunney.
Interesting though I think Jerry would be a bit weak going into 1980 he could narrowly win reelection. Also right now I'm leaning towards Mike Gravel getting the nod as Gravel is a Senator but still has that outsider flair to him, how might he do in a debate with Dole? I'd say he crushes Dole pretty easily (and I like Bob Dole) as Gravel as a Trump-like debate style.

Read this:

So I know it's been a while and I've been writing a short story (or what I hope is a short story) about Brown winning in 1976 and I just wanted to know if this cabinet is a good one or not.
President: Jerry Brown
Vice President: Mike Gravel/Adlai Stevenson III
Secretary of State: Edmond Muskie
Secretary of the Treasury: Russell B. Long/Jimmy Carter
Secretary of Defense: Mike Mansfield
Attorney General: Frank Church/Mike Gravel
Secretary of the Interior: Walter Mondale/Eugene McCarthy
Secretary of Agriculture: Jimmy Carter/Eugene McCarthy
Secretary of Commerce: Milton Sapp
Secretary of Labor: Walter Mondale/Hubert Humphrey
Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare: Abraham Ribicoff
Secretary of Health and Human Services: Hubert Humphrey/???
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: George McGovern
Secretary of Transportation: Jennings Randolph
Secretary of Energy: Fred Harris
Secretary of Education: Terry Sanford
Director of the Office of Management and Budget: Reubin Askew
United States Trade Representative: ???
Ambassador to the United Nations: Adlai Stevenson III/Ted Kennedy
National Security Advisor: Daniel James Jr.
So what do you think tell me who you would put in the cabinet spot if you don't like who is were.

marktaha

Banned
When my parents got married, my father was two months away from turning 40 while my mother had just turned 38. According to my parents, even as fairly ordinary working class people they endured a not insignificant amount of social stigma for still being single while they were both close to middle age. (This was before they started dating). My father especially would get a lot of dirty looks and nasty comments from people who seriously balked at the idea of an unmarried man in his late 30s.

Of course, this is incredibly shallow and judgemental behavior. Your personal life is nobody else's business. But this was the mid 1990s, when attitudes toward romantic relationships were more relaxed than in the 1970s. If the POTUS was an unmarried man dating a singer, that would cause problems with a lot of people. It shouldn't cause problems, but it would nonetheless.
He could just tough it out.

Particularly In 1976, I'm not sure that the only people in America who dislike having a bachelor president with a singer girlfriend are going to be the "sour-faced church crowd." I'm not even entirely sure that the French would have accepted such a thing in 1976.
Britain had a bachelor PM in the seventies, and in Heath's case, unlike Brown's, he was very much a bachelor - emphasis euphemism. Heath was also in his fifties, not his thirties. I certainly don't think the UK in the early seventies was a substantially more liberal society than either the US or France.

Worth pointing out that America would have a divorcee president four years after 1976 who was elected quite comfortably, and the 1980 electorate would have contained a significant majority of people who grew up with divorce as a big stigma.

Last edited:
3 pages and not one mention of Governor Moonbeam or his spiritual advisor/campaign manager Jaques Barzaghi?

In 1976 you're looking at the culture wars intensifying and likely a Barzaghi related scandal showing up. Man had both sexual harassment and undeclared income issues when working for Brown when he was mayor of Oakland

If he gets in as Chief of Staff or Special Adviser to the President he won't be able to contain himself.

Last edited:

Vidal

Donor
Damn so in reality Jerry would end up like Jimmy Carter. Although I wonder how Jerry would deal with inflation? Do we see some tax cuts for the middle class? Also once Brown gains some momentum could we see a stop Brown movement? If the primary looks like it's headed toward Jerry vs Jimmy could we see a stop Jerry and Jimmy movement?

On domestic issues, yes, but foreign policy would be completely different.

When it came to the Shah, Carter decided to allow him entry because he was persuaded it was the humanitarian thing to do. That’s not a decision every president would make — I think you could argue both sides of the coin in Brown’s case.

Also, Volcker. While Brown may have appreciated Volcker’s ideology, every adviser would’ve told him what Carter’s told him: You are entrusting this man with your re-election, and there’s no reason to believe he’ll play ball. Brown may choose to value re-election over that.

He could just tough it out.

Maybe. It's a lot easier to explain than adultery. I think Clinton's example shows that while many people do care about a politician's personal life, many people will also respond to the argument that it is secondary to that politician's ideas and policies.

IMO Brown's personal life would be the subject of controversy but it would hardly make him unelectable.

So I know it's been a while and I've been writing a short story (or what I hope is a short story) about Brown winning in 1976 and I just wanted to know if this cabinet is a good one or not.
So what do you think tell me who you would put in the cabinet spot if you don't like who is were.
VP: Mike Gravel
Sec State: Ed Muskie
Treasury: Russel B Long
Defense: Mike Mansfield
Att Gen: Frank Church
Interior: Eugene McCarthy
Agriculture: Jimmy Carter
Commerce: Milton Sapp
Labour: Walter Mondale
Welfare: Abraham Ribicoff
Health: Hubert Humphrey
Housing: George McGovern
Transport: Jennings Randolph
Energy: Fred Harris
Education: Terry Sanford
Budget: Reubin Askew
Trade: Wilbur Ross
UN: Ted Kennedy
Security: Daniel James Jr

Last edited:
Would Brown live in the White House? How would he handle diplomatic relations with South Africa, Taiwan, Republic of Korea, Japan, Philippines?

I would think Brown would put Patricia Roberts Harris at HEW & maybe put Andrew Young in some cabinet or Ambassadorship role. You know the Congressional Black Caucus would be hounding Brown on no diversity in the Cabinet.

dcharles

Banned
He did this as a beginning governor in California

This kind of no-nonsense approach tends to get people behind you no matter what you want to do.

Behind you with knives, I think you mean.

Carter tried something very much like this OTL--called "zero-based budgeting," every penny had to be justified anew, every year.

Turned pretty much the entire non-political executive branch against him. Moves like that were a big reason Carter did not..ahem...accomplish much.