What if Hollywood dies by the late 1970's?

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
maybe less (?) post-modern movies that jump all around time sequence, which occasionally works out, but usually doesn’t

And more movies with regular stories that have a beginning, middle, and end. :)

It might help to define "Hollywood" here.

Do you mean "the film studios that are headquartered in Hollywood California", or "the American film industry", or "the American commercial film industry", or "any English-language film made in any country with personnel associated with the American film industry[which would include eg. Cronenberg's films]" or...?

It might help to define "Hollywood" here.

Do you mean "the film studios that are headquartered in Hollywood California", or "the American film industry", or "the American commercial film industry", or "any English-language film made in any country with personnel associated with the American film industry[which would include eg. Cronenberg's films]" or...?

I mean the American film industry.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
I mean the American film industry.
Okay, there’s a merger of a couple of the big Hollywood studios, and a mismanaged merger at that, and some bad luck along the way.

And then the Canadian film industry has a surprisingly good run.

Or, pick another country, even a non-English speaking country, for example Brazil, who starts producing really first-rate movie and, yes, the characters speak English! :)

And then the Canadian film industry has a surprisingly good run.

I've been told that the movie Meatballs was sort of the Avro Arrow of the Canadian film industry. Apparently, Reitman tried to get some sort of government financing for it, but the government said no, so he took it to the US. I gather people in-the-know consider this to have been a major setback for Canadian film.

The Canadian government at the time did have a track-record of supporting, mostly via tax-breaks, some pretty lowbrow stuff(anyone remember My Bloody Valentine and Terror Train; this was before the vogue for ironic remakes), so I'm guessing their reason for backing away from Meatballs was the salary of one particular original cast SNL actor.