What if Henry VIII's children by his first three wives had had children/gotten married?

What would happen? Of course this would require Elizabeth to not be sexually abused by Katherine Parr's new husband, in order for her to even consider marriage (and she still might not, who knows). What if Henry had arranged marriages/betrothals for Mary and Elizabeth before his death? Mary was about 31 and Elizabeth 14 when he died, but maybe he does it once he realizes he cannot sire any more children (perhaps by 1544 or 45, since by this point he'd have clearly been too gout ridden to get Katherine Parr pregnant). Who would Mary and Elizabeth marry? I imagine Henry wouldn't be too keen on having Mary get married to Philip of Spain, since he was the grand-nephew of the wife he spent so much time trying to divorce, Mary's tragic Spanish mother. Would these marriages help the survival of the Tudor dynasty? Or at least Henry's bloodline? I'd be interested to see if they can keep the Tudor red hair as well since it's a staple for them. Who would Edward marry as well? He was too young to make any marriage arrangements, so it's anyones guess

Well, his daughters were legally bastards. So, they can't be paired with anyone too high ranking. Elizabeth and Robert Dudley, then, but a lot earlier. I think Mary could go with the Bavarian duke that courted her a few years ago?

Either Philip, the Duke of Palatinate-Neuburg, or Luis of Portugal, Duke of Baja could marry Mary (IIRC her cousin Charles V promised Luis and Mary the duchy of Milan if they wed)

Either Philip, the Duke of Palatinate-Neuburg, or Luis of Portugal, Duke of Baja could marry Mary (IIRC her cousin Charles V promised Luis and Mary the duchy of Milan if they wed)
Which is exactly why Henry will NOT let Mary marry into Portugal as he feared powerful foreign husbands trying to put her on the throne (Charles never agreed with Mary being a bastard) whereas Philip was poorer than Henry and had shown interest in Mary herself as he courted her when she was still a bastard in the eyes of England

Which is exactly why Henry will NOT let Mary marry into Portugal as he feared powerful foreign husbands trying to put her on the throne (Charles never agreed with Mary being a bastard) whereas Philip was poorer than Henry and had shown interest in Mary herself as he courted her when she was still a bastard in the eyes of England
how romantic of Philip XD certainly more so than her otl husband, who abandoned her immediately once it was clear she was barren

while Luis is tempting, I suppose good points were made about Philip, especially that Henry would probably refuse to let Mary wed Luis. Who should Edward marry? Ideally a protestant girl of some kind so any french princesses are out

while Luis is tempting, I suppose good points were made about Philip, especially that Henry would probably refuse to let Mary wed Luis. Who should Edward marry? Ideally a protestant girl of some kind so any french princesses are out
There is no French princess around his age anyway. Catherine de Medici's oldest daughter was eight years younger. Henry would wish for his son to start making sons STAT. Perhaps Jane Grey, for irony's sake?

There is no French princess around his age anyway. Catherine de Medici's oldest daughter was eight years younger. Henry would wish for his son to start making sons STAT. Perhaps Jane Grey, for irony's sake?
all jokes aside, she's a good marriage candidate besides the whole being his cousin thing XD I would say her or one of her sisters

She should've married a different Philip IOTL, certainly
definitely. Philip had issues having surviving children with his later wifes anyway because of his habsburg-ness, so that plus Mary's age didn't help the situation either. It was also a weird choice. What if their kid had inherited England and Spain? That would have been bad news XD

definitely. Philip had issues having surviving children with his later wifes anyway because of his habsburg-ness, so that plus Mary's age didn't help the situation either. It was also a weird choice. What if their kid had inherited England and Spain? That would have been bad news XD
To be fair, Philip already had a son before marrying Mary. So, Mary's child would've only gotten England and the Netherlands

I mean, Henry did try to secure betrothals for Mary and Elizabeth while they were his heirs presumptive, it's just that his efforts were half-hearted and his own attitude was so flippant that he couldn't be bothered to make any of them stick before he moved on to the next thing.

Also bear in mind that, at the time Elizabeth is born, very few people who Henry VIII would consider 'good enough' for one of his daughters was actually willing to marry one. A husband would be found eventually, surely, but Henry's pride made it so that he wanted the very best of matches; he spent a lot of time chasing after sons of Francis I of France, or Emperor Charles V himself, both of whom had many other options available.

If Henry sets his sights a little lower, and tries to have more realistic expectations (shocking, I know), he might have an easier time securing betrothals or marriages for at least the girls within his lifetime.

If Henry sets his sights a little lower, and tries to have more realistic expectations (shocking, I know), he might have an easier time securing betrothals or marriages for at least the girls within his lifetime.
Who else was there besides sons of Francis and Charles?
And did they even have a lot of other options? Francis' successor married Catherine de Medici, who ranked FAR lower than a princess of England

Who else was there besides sons of Francis and Charles?
And did they even have a lot of other options? Francis' successor married Catherine de Medici, who ranked FAR lower than a princess of England
It's not just about rank, however, it's also about politics (and about having to deal with Henry VIII as an in-law). Staunch Catholics like Francis and Charles simply did not see Elizabeth as legitimate, no matter how much Henry insisted she wasn't, but they also didn't want bet on the seemingly losing horse that was Mary (at least after Elizabeth--and later Edward-- was born).

In terms of who else was politically relevant to Henry? Not very many. But, as far as age-appropriate dynastically suitable husbands are concerned, there had to be at least half a dozen German princes of various religious affiliations that would fit the bill (the aforementioned Philip of the Palatinate being one of them). This is assuming that Henry VIII's main priority is getting grandchildren, of course, rather than... whatever grandiose designs he thought he had OTL.

It's not just about rank, however, it's also about politics (and about having to deal with Henry VIII as an in-law). Staunch Catholics like Francis and Charles simply did not see Elizabeth as legitimate, no matter how much Henry insisted she wasn't, but they also didn't want bet on the seemingly losing horse that was Mary (at least after Elizabeth--and later Edward-- was born).

In terms of who else was politically relevant to Henry? Not very many. But, as far as age-appropriate dynastically suitable husbands are concerned, there had to be at least half a dozen German princes of various religious affiliations that would fit the bill (the aforementioned Philip of the Palatinate being one of them). This is assuming that Henry VIII's main priority is getting grandchildren, of course, rather than... whatever grandiose designs he thought he had OTL.
Philip of the Palatinate was 13 years older than Mary...hardly "age-appropriate", but he's dynastically suitable if Henry wants to keep everyone happy, and he and Mary genuinely liked each other ;-;

Philip of the Palatinate was 13 years older than Mary...hardly "age-appropriate", but he's dynastically suitable if Henry wants to keep everyone happy, and he and Mary genuinely liked each other ;-;
Age appropriate by the standards of Renaissance dynastic politics, anyway. But there are probably people of closer age if one goes digging around in the more obscure branches of the prominent German dynasties of the time. Philip's Simmern cousins, for example, have men who are closer in age to Mary (such as the future Elector Frederick III, who was born in 1515, or even his younger brother Georg, born 1518).

None of these are likely husbands, mind you, nor exactly great matches. But they are available if Henry feels desperate enough.

Age appropriate by the standards of Renaissance dynastic politics, anyway. But there are probably people of closer age if one goes digging around in the more obscure branches of the prominent German dynasties of the time. Philip's Simmern cousins, for example, have men who are closer in age to Mary (such as the future Elector Frederick III, who was born in 1515, or even his younger brother Georg, born 1518).

None of these are likely husbands, mind you, nor exactly great matches. But they are available if Henry feels desperate enough.
That is true. I doubt Henry's THAT desperate - but he really should've been - at this point.

Edward is getting one of the three: Jane Grey, Mary of Scotland or Elisabeth of France.
Elizabeth will get shipped off to either Sweden or Denmark/Norway. Unless Mary decides the marriage, then she's Duchess of Savoy.
Mary herself I'm more dubious on