What if Henry Bolingbroke married Philippa Plantagenet?

What do you think would happen in the timeline where Henry Bolingbroke married his cousin Philippa Plantagenet, Countess of Ulster? Assuming that they get papal approval for this marriage between first cousins, how do you think this marriage would affect history moving forward?

Philippa is 12 years older than Bolingbroke, too old to marry him. If you want to tie up the claims with Bolingbroke, a better way to do it is to have Philippa, die in childbirth in an alt pregnancy in the 1460s or when she is giving birth to Elizabeth Mortimer, who then winds up married to him.

Anyways, in a scenario similar to this, Henry Bolingbroke is pretty much destined to be King, assuming Richard II dies without issue. Richard, might try to name Edmund of Langley his heir, but that would be complicated since the Lancasters are the rightful heirs under Edward I and Edward III's entails, meaning they have the best claims by far.

Last edited:

Deleted member 147978

What do you think would happen in the timeline where Henry Bolingbroke married his cousin Philippa Plantagenet, Countess of Ulster? Assuming that they get papal approval for this marriage between first cousins, how do you think this marriage would affect history moving forward?
I second RedKing's Motion, have Bolingbroke marry Elizabeth Mortimer. In doing so he's sacrificing the De Bohun Inheritance to Thomas, Duke of Gloucester. Ack.

Philippa is 12 years older than Bolingbroke, too old to marry him.
True, but I'm assuming there's something that happened in this scenario which would allow this marriage to happen.
If you want to tie up the claims with Bolingbroke, a better way to do it is to have Philippa, die in childbirth in an alt pregnancy
There's already another thread in this website discussing just that.

I second RedKing's Motion, have Bolingbroke marry Elizabeth Mortimer. In doing so he's sacrificing the De Bohun Inheritance to Thomas, Duke of Gloucester. Ack.
Well he would surely get Ulster and possibly March if Elizabeth‘s father had no surviving son/children by a second wife