What if Alexander Hamilton came out on top in the infamous duel against Aaron Burr and the former vice president is murdered by Hamilton? In OTL Burr's political career was ruined by the duel (only for it to be further ruined by the Burr Conspiracy), however, Hamilton was the one challenged, not the challenger, so perhaps he could get away with murdering Burr and go on to remain a significant voice in politics. This also raises the question about what happens to the Federalist Party with Hamilton still around.

What if Alexander Hamilton came out on top in the infamous duel against Aaron Burr and the former vice president is murdered by Hamilton? In OTL Burr's political career was ruined by the duel (only for it to be further ruined by the Burr Conspiracy), however, Hamilton was the one challenged, not the challenger, so perhaps he could get away with murdering Burr and go on to remain a significant voice in politics. This also raises the question about what happens to the Federalist Party with Hamilton still around.

Andrew Jackson got away with a rather substantial dueling death toll, so i don't see why not. However, i hesitate to say he'd be able to make a strong showing in presidental politics rather than remaining a strong "appointed" figure in Federalist administrations.

Skallagrim

Banned
Hamilton was already totally discredited as a politician by then, both because of the Reynolds scandal and because he had the tendency to pick fights with everyone who disagreed with him about anything. He's driven most of even his staunchest erstwhile allies away, some so far away that they literally went over to Jefferson's camp during the height of the Hamilton-Jefferson rivalry.

Also, Hamilton may have been the one challenged, but he was challenged because he was spreading some pretty insulting slander about Burr, and then haughtily rejected a sincere offer to publicly retract his remarks. If he shoots Burr, he will most certainly look like the villain. A complete jerk who slandered a guy, rejected all chances to make amends, leaving his victim wth only one recourse to keep his honour... and then shot him. (Keep in mind, Hamilton was a soldier, whereas Burr was not. What happened in OTL was likely a complete fluke, and had Hamilton indeed killed Burr, I think nobody would really believe it could hve gone the other way. It would be a case of a marksman shooting a man who rarely ever handled a gun.)

In any event, Hamilton's career was already dead, and after the duel, so is whatever's left of his reputation. I doubt he gets to be the subject of a totally a-historical, overly glorifying musical in this particular ATL.

Andrew Jackson got away with a rather substantial dueling death toll, so i don't see why not. However, i hesitate to say he'd be able to make a strong showing in presidental politics rather than remaining a strong "appointed" figure in Federalist administrations.
You're right, he would most likely maintain the role he did in OTL. However, as the Federalist Party collapses I can see Hamilton attempting to keep it a strong force in American politics. Perhaps if the Federalist Party was really desperate enough they'd nominate Alexander Hamilton, a former member of Washington's cabinet and veteran of the Revolution, for president.

Burr was a soldier as.well.

So Hamilton is further derided. Who is on the USD 10 bill?
Madison?
A lady, Susan B Anthony?

Burr was a soldier as.well.

So Hamilton is further derided. Who is on the USD 10 bill?
Madison?
A lady, Susan B Anthony?
I like the idea of Theodore Roosevelt, although this is all assuming that the butterflies keep history going down the same path.

Meanwhile I could see Burr becoming a Re-
publican Party martyr(perhaps in the future
we’d see the Democrats- this Republican
part’s descendants- holding “Jackson-Burr”
day dinners). Jefferson- who in ITL put up a
bust in Hamilton’s honor @ no less than Montecillo itself- would now do this for Burr, 1800 being conveniently overlooked.

ETG, I really want to add that my hat is off to you- this is just a great idea, & I can’t
believe nobody else(myself included)ever
thought of it first!

Last edited:
You're right, he would most likely maintain the role he did in OTL. However, as the Federalist Party collapses I can see Hamilton attempting to keep it a strong force in American politics. Perhaps if the Federalist Party was really desperate enough they'd nominate Alexander Hamilton, a former member of Washington's cabinet and veteran of the Revolution, for president.

He's certainly try, though I hestitate to say he'd succeed; alot depends on just how long he lives and if he's able to stich his relations with the party establishment back together after his opposition to Adams. Now that I think about it, though, having a reputation as opposing Adams following his scandalious behavior (provided he's willing to condemn things like the Alien and Sedation Act when they're being proposed) COULD result in his faction seizing control of the party apparatus when the President's reputation goes belly up, which might allow them to rebrand along a more populist angle (particularly if Pickeny can pull together a stronger southern wing for the party), though that's not really Hamilton's stance.

Hamilton would be a criminal just like Burr. If anything, had Hamilton lived it would have been worse for the Federalists as they would be associated with the man who murdered the Vice President of the United States.

one thing that people forget is that Hamilton shot first and missed. The big question would be it Burr shoots and misses. Would Hamilton consider that honor is served or would he take a second shot?

Skallagrim

Banned
one thing that people forget is that Hamilton shot first and missed. The big question would be it Burr shoots and misses. Would Hamilton consider that honor is served or would he take a second shot?

Wouldn't the obvious POD be that Hamilton just hits the first time? The notion that Hamilton missed on purpose is based on a severe misunderstanding, namely that purposely 'deloping' was done by shooting 'wide' (as he did; next to the opponent). In reality, that was not the practice: one indicated that one deloped by shooting into the air or (more commonly) into the ground. We may therefore assume that Hamilton intended to hit Burr, but missed by a random fluke (not unrealistic given dueling pistols at the time, and how unreliable they could be).

If Hamilton shoots and misses, and then Burr shoots and misses, they'd have a chance to both reconsider, and it's quite likely they'd both choose to consider honour satisfied. It would be Burr, primarily, deciding this, and he was out to sabe his honour. One shot wold suffice, and then he could call it quits with his head held high and no damage done.

As such, the most viable POD for the OP's scenario is that Hamilton fatally hits Burr with his first shot.

What if ends in mutual kill?

What if ends in mutual kill?
Aside from the legacy of the two, history probably doesn't change much. After the duel Burr didn't do anything of significance so it's not like we're losing any important events from him and Hamilton's dead regardless so aside from butterflies the most I see is the two being viewed a bit comically, at least when it comes to the duel.