What if George Washington ran for a third term?

This is my first attempt at a scenario, and I apologize if this has been done before.

So, what if George Washington, for whatever reason, decided to run for his third term? If he wins, and dies around 1799 like in our world, do other people only serve three terms, or do they keep on running until they are defeated? And if he did run for a third term but lost, would anyone get a third term?

That's a big one. The precedent set by Washington only serving two terms was very important to American democracy.

There's no way he would have lost in 1796. As the great national hero, he would have been president as long as he wanted. If there is no conception of term limits, it could cause the presidency to become more monarchical/dictatorial in character over time. Alternation of party control of the presidency could become rare. This has happened in a number of countries with presidential systems but no term limits for their president.

Even if a precedent does become established of serving "only" three terms, that butterflies away a lot of subsequent presidents.

You may get some rumblings from the Anti-Federalists about Washington becoming more monarchical. But as funnyhat points out, he would have no problem winning the election in 1796; though it may not be unanimous. There will be no change in the U.S. position on French Revolutionary War; neutrality would be maintained. Most likely a third term would look a lot like John Adam's term; though he may not sign the Alien and Sedition acts. He may not even die in 1799 as his death was brought about by a sudden illness (due to the weather) as opposed to a chronic illness. The line of Presidents would definitely look different.

Washington was quite an old man for his time when he decided not to run, and very much tired of the burden of the office. (The John Jay Affair also took a toll on him, according to his journals.) That, on top of his strength of character, it's almost ASB for him to seek a third term IMHO.

Washington was quite an old man for his time when he decided not to run, and very much tired of the burden of the office. (The John Jay Affair also took a toll on him, according to his journals.) That, on top of his strength of character, it's almost ASB for him to seek a third term IMHO.

It's not ASB, it's unlikely. Some major event could come along during his second term that may compel him to run again if he felt it was for the best of the country.

If he ran a third term, it would do similar to what would happen if he had died in his second term. America would eventually end up having a Poland style elective monarch.

Just a thought but there could be a blowback after Washington's death at the next President who attempts a third term.

I don't see why. IOTL, the notion of serving a third term is heretical because Washington stopped at two. In an ATL where Washington himself deems it acceptable to run three times, that should make it legitimate for his successors as well. His dying in office shouldn't change that. Perhaps people would express concern over the toll the office has on its occupant's health, but that would be it.

It's not ASB, it's unlikely. Some major event could come along during his second term that may compel him to run again if he felt it was for the best of the country.

I did say almost ASB, which I thought would be taken as very unlikely. Given his age and general desire to retire, yeah, you'd need a hell of an alternate event to compel him to seek a third term. He's at quite an advanced age for the era and the burden of office had clearly worn on him.

That's a big one. The precedent set by Washington only serving two terms was very important to American democracy.

There's no way he would have lost in 1796. As the great national hero, he would have been president as long as he wanted. If there is no conception of term limits, it could cause the presidency to become more monarchical/dictatorial in character over time. Alternation of party control of the presidency could become rare. This has happened in a number of countries with presidential systems but no term limits for their president.

Even if a precedent does become established of serving "only" three terms, that butterflies away a lot of subsequent presidents.
Washington wanted to set a good example. He KNEW the new Republic needed it. If he DID run for a third term, the whole 'Cincinnatus' meme that built up in early American politics would be blown out of the water, and the US would be a far less stable place, I'm afraid.

So. Can we get something to override this? How about have the XYZ affair blow up earlier and worse, leading to the US being at war with France during his second term (and still being ongoing at the end of that term). So he feels pressured (both by events and by friends) to run again, so US doesn't 'change horses in mid-stream'. Perhaps he expects to resign when the peace is signed, and only serve 1 or 2 years, leaving John Adams in charge then. However, he dies before he gets a chance to resign....

Washington did not avoid another term because he cared about precedent and was an angel-on-high who was defending the checks on power in the republic. He was old and he didn't want to be president. I don't think he even wanted to be president for a second term. It also only became a precedent later. It was one of those things where suddenly 150 years later people act like it was always set in stone and our founders and principles should be aghast at the thought of a third term.

Washington did not avoid another term because he cared about precedent and was an angel-on-high who was defending the checks on power in the republic. He was old and he didn't want to be president. I don't think he even wanted to be president for a second term. It also only became a precedent later. It was one of those things where suddenly 150 years later people act like it was always set in stone and our founders and principles should be aghast at the thought of a third term.
He wasn't THAT old. OTL, he was in pretty good shape until he fell off his horse.

It also only became a precedent later. It was one of those things where suddenly 150 years later people act like it was always set in stone and our founders and principles should be aghast at the thought of a third term.

If I'm not mistaken, no one tried to run for a third presidential term until Teddy Roosevelt in 1912, and yet there were a number of two-term presidents in the meantime. I think a lot of them were conscious of Washington's example.

If I'm not mistaken, no one tried to run for a third presidential term until Teddy Roosevelt in 1912, and yet there were a number of two-term presidents in the meantime. I think a lot of them were conscious of Washington's example.

Grant tried. I think there may have been a smattering of others. The two term precedent was not so much a holy writ as it was that events just never shaped up to allow a president three terms.

Grant tried. I think there may have been a smattering of others. The two term precedent was not so much a holy writ as it was that events just never shaped up to allow a president three terms.

People asked Jackson too, if I recall but he used Washington as an excuse, not the reason. He knew he was an unhealthy man and wanted to retire.

Stolengood

Banned
You're mistaken; Ulysses S. Grant, by dint of his relative youth (at the time) considered running in 1876 (except his Vice President's death in '75 put him off the idea completely) and 1880 (a more concrete effort which was, however, beaten at the convention somewhat unexpectedly).

If Washington ends up serving a third term (since there's no doubt he'd win it) due to war with France, I think he'd live through that term, since he wouldn't have contracted bacterial epiglottitis in the manner or circumstances that he did -- but, once he'd won the war (hypothetically), he would be so worn out that he'd very, VERY willingly step down in 1801. Meaning we get a later President Adams, and the simmering Federalist-DR feud perhaps takes a longer time to boil over... or boils over catastrophically.

You're mistaken; Ulysses S. Grant, by dint of his relative youth (at the time) considered running in 1876 (except his Vice President's death in '75 put him off the idea completely) and 1880 (a more concrete effort which was, however, beaten at the convention somewhat unexpectedly).

Oh yes, I forgot about Grant. But wasn't the fact that he tried for a third term a criticism against him at the time?

(To my own post, I should have noted as well that T. Roosevelt was technically only running for his second full term in 1912, although it was practically a third one.)

Washington died at 67, hardly ancient, hardly "likely to die", even for the time.

The butterflies are so incredible that I can't really add anything of substance to the conversation, unfortunately.

Washington died at 67, hardly ancient, hardly "likely to die", even for the time.

The butterflies are so incredible that I can't really add anything of substance to the conversation, unfortunately.
On the other hand,being president is a highly stressful job,so Washington might kick the bucket earlier.