What if all countries had to use flags with canton and stripes ?

In the tradition of other thread regarding all nations using the same style of flags, What if all countries had to use flags with canton and stripes ? I'm talking here about the US, Greece, Uruguay and others.

To get things started, here is the C&S flag of the Kingdom of France. The canton symbolise the monarchy while the 3 golden stripes represent the 3 Estates.

c&s_fr-roy.png

next: Russia

EDIT: new version, now *more* russian ! the 9 stripes represent the 8 federal districts as well as the federal government itself.

ru-c&s2.png

Last edited:
Australia. The cross with stars is a stylized representation of the southern cross constellation with the horizontal bar joining with the other 6 to mirror the 7 points of the stars which represent the 6 states plus the territories as a group.

au-c&S.png

Last edited:
New Zealand. Like australia, it contains a southern cross and the 9 stripes represent the number of historical provinces at the time when they were abolished and replaced with local councils.

nz-c&S.png

Argentina.

wait a second...

Ah yes, the famous argentinan flag adopted during the falkland war in a bid to confuse the UK into attacking uruguay. The tactic backfired after an uruguayan delegation came on board a british battleship carrying an offer of surrender which included the immediate cession of the state of Santa Cruz as war reparation.

best compromise I could come up to make a C&S that still looks specifically french. blue-white-red are just too common.
I would just change it from vertical to horizontal, double the number of stripes to two of each color separated by white, and have a white canton with an angry rooster inside it.

I would just change it from vertical to horizontal, double the number of stripes to two of each color separated by white, and have a white canton with an angry rooster inside it.

to me, horizontal division of colours would bring to mind either the netherland or yugoslavia. The most distinctive thing about the french flag is the vertical blue-white-red and while the rooster is an emblem sometime used by france, it is not used on flags so I would feel like I was cheating. I may try increasing the number of stripes though

to me, horizontal division of colours would bring to mind either the netherland or yugoslavia. The most distinctive thing about the french flag is the vertical blue-white-red and while the rooster is an emblem sometime used by france, it is not used on flags so I would feel like I was cheating. I may try increasing the number of stripes though
What about something like this, the five stripes representing the five republics.
french_republic_canton_and_stripes.png