What if Aerosmith died on the plane crash that killed Lynyrd Skynyrd?

On October 20, 1977, Convair CV-240 crashed down in Gillsburg, Mississippi on route to Baton Rouge, Louisiana due to a pilot error and malfunction within the plane. That plane carried the members of Lynyrd Skynyrd, one of the iconic rock bands of the '70s, where lead vocalist/founding member Ronnie Van Zant, guitarist and vocalist Steve Gaines, backing vocalist Cassie Gaines, assistant road manager Dean Kilpatrick, pilot Walter McCreary and co-pilot William Gray all died. This tragically cut the band's career short. It did reform 10 years later, but it's basically said to be a glorified cover band.

However, this could've taken a very different turn. The members of Aerosmith were originally going to take the ill-fated flight. However, they saw something wasn't right about it, and turned it down. They cited that it was practically a work of God himself that prevented what could've been certain death. But what if Aerosmith was on that plane, and the same crash happened? The members of Aerosmith tragically die, while Lynyrd Skynyrd continue on?

One thing that happens is that Aerosmith obviously doesn't have the long career they had in OTL. They went through major ups, and major downs, notably fading out in the early '80s because of drugs and turmoil, but making a major comeback after Walk This Way with Run-D.M.C., and they stayed strong in the '90s, even getting their first #1 with I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing from Armageddon. Their career is one well-lived, but none of that would happen here. Hell, it might even slow down the rise of hip-hop since Walk This Way was instrumental to solidifying it as more than a fad.

I do wonder if Lynyrd Skynyrd would've had similar success had they continued. It's hard to say, since the '80s were so different from their sound, but they were huge still. Maybe they could reinvent themselves for MTV, and then have continued success on rock radio formats in the late '80s/early '90s.

Another side note: Liv Tyler would sadly never know her father ITL, having only been born four months before the crash. She'd probably be Liv Rundgren and no one except a select few would ever know that truth.

What do you think would happen in the musical and pop culture world in this timeline?

Well, we'll start with the fact that they either had just finished or were about to finish Draw the Line. Pretty much everything after that is either gone or going to another singer.

Celine Dion might actually record I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing and the song probably wouldn't have the same memetic status as the original as a result and probably would weaken My Heart Will Go On as people would see it as too similar to the first song.

Oh! Revolution X! They'd probably go with Guns N' Roses as the featured band for that game.

Well, we'll start with the fact that they either had just finished or were about to finish Draw the Line. Pretty much everything after that is either gone or going to another singer.

Celine Dion might actually record I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing and the song probably wouldn't have the same memetic status as the original as a result and probably would weaken My Heart Will Go On as people would see it as too similar to the first song.

Oh! Revolution X! They'd probably go with Guns N' Roses as the featured band for that game.
Good points. Also, what do you think would happen with Run-DMC?

I will admit that a timeline where they collaborate with Lynyrd Skynyrd sounds a bit unlikely. But so was the Aerosmith crossover when you think about it. Maybe they do a rap rock version of Free Bird.