What happens if Al Smith wins the nomination again in 1932?

Let's say Roosevelt dies of polio before he can enter national politics, and Smith manages to cinch the 1932 nomination to face Hoover in a rematch. Does he win the general? What does his Presidency look like?

Probably Democrats should find really horrible candidate that he would lost against Hoover. So Smith pretty surely would win Hoover pretty easily.

He probally beats Hoover it might be a little closer. I don't know what is Presidency would look like bit I expect maybe a wattered down New Deal.

Garrison

Donor
He probally beats Hoover it might be a little closer. I don't know what is Presidency would look like bit I expect maybe a wattered down New Deal.
I think 1932 is one of those election years where the incumbent is probably going to lose whoever their opponent is.

Going to set aside how FDR helped Smith at the 1924 convention to set him up for the 1928 run....FDR won New York by .6 in 1928 while Al Smith lost it by 2.4...about a 3% difference there. If you apply that same swing to the 1932 election than Hoover wins New Jersey and Ohio while still losing the election by a lot. Democrats win 2 fewer Senate races and probably a handful fewer House races.

The real question, IMO, is whether Al Smith was actually opposed to the New Deal on principle or just spiteful.

Although he was sore at his old buddy for not fighting him a spot. Smith was a reformer, in the Truman douglas tradition. He felt concentration of power in one man was not a good idea. He probably would have created national insurance but not the alphabet agencies

Going to set aside how FDR helped Smith at the 1924 convention to set him up for the 1928 run....FDR won New York by .6 in 1928 while Al Smith lost it by 2.4...about a 3% difference there. If you apply that same swing to the 1932 election than Hoover wins New Jersey and Ohio while still losing the election by a lot. Democrats win 2 fewer Senate races and probably a handful fewer House races.

The real question, IMO, is whether Al Smith was actually opposed to the New Deal on principle or just spiteful.
Well then, that begs the question: what does 1932-1936 look like if Smith chooses to run a conservative-ish administration? It could make an opening for Long or someone from the radical left to dethrone Smith. The Catholic thing doesn't help him, either.