What happened if indonesia become a monarchy?

Something i learned in history class is that sukarno the first president was adviced by the japanese to become a monarch but was adviced by hatta (the vp) to not do it as it could possibly endanger the nation stability (favouring one ethnicity over the other).

I wonder what will be the impact of an indonesian monarchy

-Hatta becomes more important to the political equation. OTL he was seen as the Non-Javanese's representation in the national leadership (He was from Sumatra) and within weeks after his resignation as VP because of what he saw as Soekarno's increasing authoritarianism, we've got councils forming in Sumatra led by disgruntled Army officers asking for more autonomy in the regions and equitable development. If Hatta somehow gets pushed aside in this TL, I wonder how dangerous things will be for Indonesia.

-OTOH there's probably more onus to develop the regions more equitably (instead of focusing on Java) to disprove the notion that one ethnicity is favored over the other. There would be a definite quota of cabinet seats for islands.

-We'd be looking at Guntur Soekarnoputra as King Soekarno II

-Would it be Emperor instead of King? considering that there are still kings and sultans around the archipelago and this new king is supposed to be more powerful than them.

Last edited:
-Hatta becomes more important to the political equation. OTL he was seen as the Non-Javanese's representation in the national leadership (He was from Sumatra) and within weeks after his resignation as VP because of what he saw as Soekarno's increasing authoritarianism, we've got councils forming in Sumatra led by disgruntled Army officers asking for more autonomy in the regions and equitable development. If Hatta somehow gets pushed aside in this TL, I wonder how dangerous things will be for Indonesia.

-OTOH there's probably more onus to develop the regions more equitably (instead of focusing on Java) to disprove the notion that one ethnicity is favored over the other.

-We'd be looking at Guntur Soekarnoputra as King Soekarno II
So the PRRI coup becomes much more dangerous? What about the G30S stuff will that still gonna happen in a monarchy indonesia?

Interesting i thought guntur isnt interested in politics

I think the japanese said king/monarch not sure about emperor though it might implied that the javanese conquer every other people

Last edited:
We all know what happened to dictators who declared themselves monarchs Like this guy Bokassa, most likely what would happen is they would destabilize indondesia and make them worse off .

Yeah probably being the whole country gonna be like "hey i have a king too and he should be the one who rule"

So the PRRI coup becomes much more dangerous? What about the G30S stuff will that still gonna happen in a monarchy indonesia?

Interesting i thought guntur isnt interested in politics

I think the japanese said king/monarch not sure about emperor though it might implied that the javanese conquer every other people
I would think so because there would be more sensitivity if the non-Javanese are not represented at the highest level. Expect also that to balance a Javanese Monarch that there would be a requirement, official or otherwise, that the PM would be non-Javanese.

Now the PKI, I'm trying to imagine what would happen to them. OTL, they became very close Soekarno in the final years leading to the G30S. But in this TL, assuming Hatta holds on the prime ministership into the 60s, there's a chance the PKI would be hostile to Soekarno because of Hatta's continued presence and Hatta's hostility towards the PKI. Expect the Army to be even closer to Soekarno than in OTL.

I think Guntur's disinterest in politics is more because he knows he can't do much in Soeharto's political system (https://www.google.co.id/books/edit...tur+pni+election&pg=PA101&printsec=frontcover). Perhaps different circumstances would allow him to be more interested in state affairs?

I would think so because there would be more sensitivity if the non-Javanese are not represented at the highest level. Expect also that to balance a Javanese Monarch that there would be a requirement, official or otherwise, that the PM would be non-Javanese.

Now the PKI, I'm trying to imagine what would happen to them. OTL, they became very close Soekarno in the final years leading to the G30S. But in this TL, assuming Hatta holds on the prime ministership into the 60s, there's a chance the PKI would be hostile to Soekarno because of Hatta's continued presence and Hatta's hostility towards the PKI. Expect the Army to be even closer to Soekarno than in OTL.

I think Guntur's disinterest in politics is more because he knows he can't do much in Soeharto's political system (https://www.google.co.id/books/edit...tur+pni+election&pg=PA101&printsec=frontcover). Perhaps different circumstances would allow him to be more interested in state affairs?
That would mean either soeharto could be pm or he could be a high rankinh general ittl thouvh i think for hatta to be pm you need to make him be interested in politics again as having one pm from 1949 or 1955 if you wanna go the first election route would be seen as dictatorship in some way though ittl some of the former prime ninster are weak though you could say djuanda and ali did some good work

Also how will the yogyakarta and surakarta royal court react to "King soekarno I" ?

Well then again if we goinh by constitusional the king doesnt do anything if we semi then the king have some power this would mean soekarno mighr be like otl but if we go absolute then he might as well be no differenfe than otl

Well, the problem is choosing a royal house that would represent the whole country, and the opposition from the rulers of other princely states

kholieken

Banned
Hamengkubuwono is more acceptable than Sukarno. Monarchy established by random politicians and generals is very difficult to succceed. Not impossible, Pahlavi and Brooke succcessfully do it. But new dynasty always had difficult beginnings to establish legitimacy.

Hamengkubuwono is more acceptable than Sukarno. Monarchy established by random politicians and generals is very difficult to succceed. Not impossible, Pahlavi and Brooke succcessfully do it. But new dynasty always had difficult beginnings to establish legitimacy.
For pahlavi they did have the brits backing them and as for brooke well sarawak is mostly jungle at that tine as for indonesia? I do gotta agree making somethung out of thin air in this case a royal family could be disastrous for the nation and yeah the yogyakartan do have more legitimacy as they are well a monarchy since the 1800s (a more seasoned choice if you will) though only in java outside of java there is plenty like the one in pontianak for example

Though there is a plus for creating a new dynasty in indonesia theu could call it the first true indonesian royal family (unlike the yogyakartan or the pontianak who mostly confided in one space) and make their tradition distincly indonesian not adhering to one ethnicity though yes again its hard and extremely prone to rebellion

The argument against Hamengkubuwono IX being king would be that in 1945, he doesn’t have the credibility that he has for supporting the Republic and allowing it to use Yogyakarta as capital between 1945 and 1949. He would get support in Yogya but unless the King of Indonesia is a symbolic office rather than absolute monarch, I have a hard time imagining him getting acceptance.

Ditto with Pakubuwono XII from Solo, if you want to comsider an alternative, who was even younger and who had only been on the throne for 2 months in August 1945.

Something i learned in history class is that sukarno the first president was adviced by the japanese to become a monarch but was adviced by hatta (the vp) to not do it as it could possibly endanger the nation stability (favouring one ethnicity over the other).

I wonder what will be the impact of an indonesian monarchy
Taking advice from the Japanese? Now the Dutch have actual justification to stay and destroy a “fascist creation”

Taking advice from the Japanese? Now the Dutch have actual justification to stay and destroy a “fascist creation”
Given the fact that OTL Sukarno was pretty much a collaborator of the Japanese anyway, I doubt it would matter.

To me the biggest problem isn't the Indonesian Revolution itself, but its end. Wouldn't this make the Dutch-Indonesian Union impossible to set up? This Union was ofcourse pretty useless in the long run but in the short term it allowed the Dutch a political exit from the conflict.

The argument against Hamengkubuwono IX being king would be that in 1945, he doesn’t have the credibility that he has for supporting the Republic and allowing it to use Yogyakarta as capital between 1945 and 1949. He would get support in Yogya but unless the King of Indonesia is a symbolic office rather than absolute monarch, I have a hard time imagining him getting acceptance.

Ditto with Pakubuwono XII from Solo, if you want to comsider an alternative, who was even younger and who had only been on the throne for 2 months in August 1945.

Besides, Hamengku IX was a Javanese sultan. I think installing him as king of Indonesia will irate non-Javanese more, even more than outright installing Soekarno as a king.