What "Eccentric" states could exist today?

A scenario I posed for the "make alt Drakas" thread was to have a role reversal in China where the Nationalists win the Civil War and the Communists flee to Taiwan
Which would create a Maoist Taiwan that like IOTL claims the whole China and also has the Qing heir as their spokersman(Mao IOTL captured the manchu prince and choosed to spare him rather than have him killed so that he could be "reeducated", and yeah he became a communist) while also being a former japanese colony just like IOTL, but under the CCP instead!
Honestly, a PRC-in-Manchuria would probably be more realistic for that, with the US Navy and all that.

Darzin

Banned
What about a "honest" evil dictatorship?

Like, most authoritarian regimes try to excuse their behaviour with hot takes and propaganda, this regime's explanation for their disregard of human rights would be along the lines of "because yes" and "because we can". Openly engaging in oppression for its own sake, if not straight up boasting about it. Carrying on even when there isn't any economic incentive to the power trip, or even if it's counterproductive, just because doing so is wholesome fun for all the family.

IOTL Democratic Kampuchea came pretty close to this. They presented themselves to the world as a communist state but they often didn't bother to tell their citizens that. The answer to do many things was simply the state demands it. And they had slogans like "to keep you is no benefit to destroy youis no loss"

The RUF in Sierra Leon as well.

Honestly, a PRC-in-Manchuria would probably be more realistic for that, with the US Navy and all that.
Ah, the "Two Chinas". That was part of the background I added for 'Earth Six', a parallel world that I used in gaming. Though it was only referred to by some of the locals and not developed. It concentrated on the hellhole that was Britain.....

Would the Channel Islands (and maybe Isle of Man) count? They are technically independent though closely linked to the UK. Sark sticks in my mind as retaining some feudal-looking laws/practices - eg the right to appeal directly to the local ruler in the street for help.

Isle of Mann was its own kingdom before the Murray clan sold the crown to London in two very large payments. Something like a half-million pounds Stirling or more when it meant literal 90% silver and silver was worth quite a bit more than nowadays.

Thing is, Social Credit has a weird electoral history.
One of the more interesting, if minor, tidbits of that history is that Elon Musk’s grandfather on his mother’s side (Joshua Norman Haldeman) was the chairman of the National Council of the Social Credit Party in Canada and president of the Saskatchewan Social Credit League during the Second World War.

An eccentric man by all accounts. Once spent over a decade flying his family around in a prop plane over the Kalahari desert looking for a supposedly lost ancient city…and he firmly believed the authenticity of the Protocol of the Elders of Zion and allegedly had it read in Parliament. The following is from an article on the relationship between the Social Credit party and anti-semitism:

HaIdeman also discussed publication of the Protocols in Vers Demuin, and argued that when a Swiss court determined that the Protocols were a forgery in 1935, the defence was not permitted to give its case. Moreover, he claimed, whether or not the Protocols were a forgery was not the point, “the point is that the plans laid out in these Protocols has been rapidly unfolding in the period of observation of this generation.” Such was the reasoning Haldeman employed to justify publication of the Protocols.

So yeah, a pretty wild guy..

Last edited:
So we could have a Musk before Musk who was succeed by 'our' Musk as his heir?
Its like the ultimate Elon wank right there!

I've thought of a DBWI called "Give Comtianism The Same 20th Century As Marxism", written from the p.o.v of a timeline where positivism manages to take over a huge chunk of the world, while marxism remains a wacky quasi-religious sect of little numerical or historical significance.

Brazil would obviously be the most plausible candidate for a comtian takeover, maybe they get into an alt-World War II with the US; not sure who corresponds to the Nazis and the Soviets, but in any case it ends up with an Iron Curtain dividing North from South in the western hemisphere.

If there's an alt-McCarthyism sonewhere aimed against comtianism, Sociology departments could be shut down en masse.

Yeah it is - the link takes a bit to load for me but it’s a pdf document so at least for me it takes a minute to fully load in.

Thanks. I read her book Social Discredit(yeah, goofy title) years ago, and I'm guessing it was based at least partly on that thesis. I think I was able to find the article on a McGill University site just now.

I've thought of a DBWI called "Give Comtianism The Same 20th Century As Marxism", written from the p.o.v of a timeline where positivism manages to take over a huge chunk of the world, while marxism remains a wacky quasi-religious sect of little numerical or historical significance.

Brazil would obviously be the most plausible candidate for a comtian takeover, maybe they get into an alt-World War II with the US; not sure who corresponds to the Nazis and the Soviets, but in any case it ends up with an Iron Curtain dividing North from South in the western hemisphere.

If there's an alt-McCarthyism sonewhere aimed against comtianism, Sociology departments could be shut down en masse.
I'd argue the Republic of Brazil was already a comtian take over
Its just that in true brazilian fashion the leaders never bothered to stay true to positivist ideals or make an effort to spread them
Theu just read Comte and were like "see? This is why us the military should take over! We're the enlightened class this guy is talking about and now that Pedro is gone we're the Moderator Power as well!"

*Proceeds to ignore positivist ideology and the Moderator Power concept forever after while estabilishing a catholic military dictatorship*

Now that's a wild card! Pu Yi, could prove even more valuable in a Maoist Taiwan. Perhaps he could be a cabinet minister or propaganda expert, like Weng Sheng was for the Generalismo.

The Welsh settlement in Patagonia fit the mould for a while and even now there's still a bit of distict culture.
Maybe bring in more Welsh speakers into the surrounding areas to effectively become a Welsh speaking province with a tendency to methodism in a Spanish speaking country that's nominally catholic.
Not quite an eccentric state but close

The Welsh settlement in Patagonia fit the mould for a while and even now there's still a bit of distict culture.
Maybe bring in more Welsh speakers into the surrounding areas to effectively become a Welsh speaking province with a tendency to methodism in a Spanish speaking country that's nominally catholic.
Not quite an eccentric state but close
Reminds me of the Aberystwyth books and the Patagonian War.

The 'Ezo Republic' survives on Hokkaido, as a French protectorate: Originally it's a democracy, more or less, although only members of the Samurai class have the vote. Imperial Japan annexes it in the late 1930s, triggering a war with France that Japan wins and from which Japan also gains either Tonkin or Cochin-China (I haven't decided which...). This in turn triggers a greater drive towards military improvement in France, but that's too late to do the country much good before Hitler -- encouraged by the apparent weakness that France had shown (defeated by a bunch of Asiatics!) -- starts WW2 more-or-lesson "on [OTL] schedule" anyway. There are some minor effects on the course of WW2, but this still ends with an Allied victory. Afterwards, France is too busy rebuilding at home & re-establishing control over Indo-China to take much interest in Hokkaido, and the Ezo government-in-exile is returned to power by the WAllies with Stalin (who hadn't been able to organise a "liberation" for that island in time) bought-off by recognition of a Soviet sphere of influence in Manchuria & outright control of Port Arthur. Britain and the USA insist on the republic adopting a more democratic constitution, and it replaces the old unicameral 'Senate' with a bicameral Congress in which the Samurai now control only the "upper" chamber while the "lower" one is elected by universal suffrage instead. This state benefits from hosting American & other "UN" facilities during the Korean War, and even sends a small force to participate during the final year of that conflict, but then declares neutrality in 1955 -- the same year in which it joins the UN -- and refuses to host any further foreign military or naval installations during the Cold War. It does, however, welcome tourists for whose benefit aspects of the traditional Japanese culture are displayed.

(NB: In this timeline the Russo-Japanese War still happens basically as IOTL, but the Kurile Islands belong to Ezo all along --except during the [1930s]-1945 Japanese takeover -- while Russia holds all of Sakhalin.)

Reminds me of the Aberystwyth books and the Patagonian War.
Ah, yes: "Patagonia, the Welsh Vietnam" as that series' protagonist phrases it.