What are some things in culture that never stuck?

Max Headroom.

Yeah, he was hyped to the sky in the 80s, but precisely for that reason, it's notable how little staying-power he's had. I doubt most people who were alive at the time could now tell you if he was from a movie, a TV show, or just a guy in Coke commercials.

And what ever happened to Second Life, that on-line forum where you could walk around as a three-dimensional person? You could tell the people who came up with it were planning for it to be the next big thing, but these days, you hear absolutely NOTHING about it at all. Even though I think it still exists.

marathag

Banned
Max Headroom.

Yeah, he was hyped to the sky in the 80s, but precisely for that reason, it's notable how little staying-power he's had. I doubt most people who were alive at the time could now tell you if he was from a movie, a TV show, or just a guy in Coke commercials.
Yet was a part of the '80s episode for _Agents of SHIELD_

And part of Max Headroom, _Dr. Duncan's Video Symptom Show_ is now real, thanks to cheap reality TV

marathag

Banned
Bell Bottoms/ Flairs
Glad they are gone, along with Disco

Do miss Turtlenecks and Corduroy. I looked sharp in that

Second life has been successfully monetised as v[cam]girls using facial recognition live Mocap (similar tech to deep fakes, it vocaloids.) The particular work may be slumping towards Bethlehem, but the genre is strong.

The Dvorak Keyboard successfully replaces the QWERTY.

If it really is faster and more comfortable it could produce really big butterflies because it would make several tasks more efficient and economical.

@Sam R.

Thanks for the overview.

One thing, if Second Life "slumping toward Bethlehem" is a Yeats reference, that would mean the website is about to achieve world dominance.

marathag

Banned
The Dvorak Keyboard successfully replaces the QWERTY.

If it really is faster and more comfortable it could produce really big butterflies because it would make several tasks more efficient and economical.
I got better use from the old Microsoft split keyboard and a big old trackball
1601268214058.jpeg

Though I used the Kensington trackball back then, and today
Got reall good with trackballs from Missile Command and other Atari games, and it carried over to PCs

@Sam R.

Thanks for the overview.

One thing, if Second Life "slumping toward Bethlehem" is a Yeats reference, that would mean the website is about to achieve world dominance.

I seem to remember a criminal arrest, trial, execution, and then a bunch of Platonists radically changing the content through editing and contextualisation ending up under a central state aiding authority. I guess we should expect Miku clones voiced by underemployed seiyu to support some pretty dodgy caesars while people ferverently await their third life…

more specifically “meme magic” communities and the like engage in the transformation of virtual and actual in cultish ingroup manners resembling a network of cult behaviours and celebrate martyrs regularly.

Got reall good with trackballs from Missile Command and other Atari games, and it carried over to PCs
Yeah, the trackball mouse is a good example. It's an instance of something that looks high-tech and revolutionary but is only marginally better (if at all) than the mass-market good it is meant to replace. I remember using a trackball in a high school video production class - I certainly didn't mind using it and appreciated the novelty of it, but it didn't do anything a normal mouse couldn't.

Another example I can think of are electric instruments outside of the standard guitar and keyboard. Old sci-fi movies (most prominently Star Wars) show people playing an array of bizarre and futuristic instruments, and while there are electric instruments of every kind, they don't catch the attention of young aspiring musicians the way a guitar, piano, or drumset (or my least favorite, the MIDI controller) does. The impact new instruments could have on the musical world would be unfathomable.

Last edited:
I seem to remember a criminal arrest, trial, execution, and then a bunch of Platonists radically changing the content through editing and contextualisation ending up under a central state aiding authority. I guess we should expect Miku clones voiced by underemployed seiyu to support some pretty dodgy caesars while people ferverently await their third life…

more specifically “meme magic” communities and the like engage in the transformation of virtual and actual in cultish ingroup manners resembling a network of cult behaviours and celebrate martyrs regularly.

Well, sounds like everyone was full of passionate intensity, anyway.

Driftless

Donor
Yeah, the trackball mouse is a good example. It's an instance of something that looks high-tech and revolutionary but is only marginally better (if at all) than the mass-market good it is meant to replace. I remember using a trackball in a high school video production class - I certainly didn't mind using it and appreciated the novelty of it, but it didn't do anything a normal mouse couldn't.

Another example I can think of are electric instruments outside of the standard guitar and keyboard. Old sci-fi movies (most prominently Star Wars) show people playing an array of bizarre and futuristic instruments, and while there are electric instruments of every kind, they don't catch the attention of young aspiring musicians the way a guitar, piano, or drumset (or my least favorite, the MIDI controller) does. The impact new instruments could have on the musical world would be unfathomable.

The hook there in the Western World is the fundamental learning infrastructure is all based on music written for existing instruments and largely for music theory that goes back for centuries. Even composers working with synthesizers mostly start from that premise.

On the other side..... different schools of world music have their own musical methodology and - to this point - have geographic niches. Does that change over time and as South and East Asia become more economically dominant?

Soccer(AKA Football everywhere else in the world) in the United States. It has been tried many times but it either failed(NASL) or only has a niche following(MLS).

The MLS is only getting more popular and the quality of play has increased so much in the last five years. The US has a decent generation coming through right now and a good WC perfomance (especially in 2026 when it's in North America) could really make the Big 4 a Big 5.