What alternate history ideas you wish they were used more often?

Would the UK accept a nationalist state controlling the Suez Canal as early as the 1880s? I think they would be the turd in the punch bowl for this version of an Arab state unless they have been satisfied with guarantees that they will be able to move thru it without any fears whatsoever that they'll face interdiction.
Well, the Arab state can try to gather support from the other European powers to defend its right to the Canal:

"Do you prefer that the Canal be managed by ME, since I have no interest in blocking anyone, but rather in having the Canal used by the greatest possible number of ships?

Or do you want the British to manage the Canal? Giving to LONDON the power to decide who can pass through such an important commercial route, who can close it to you at will without problems?"

Bonus points if the British Empire decides that it is a great idea to "show our strength" by blockading the coasts of the Arab State (and therefore the Channel), effectively showing that this is not just Arab State propaganda, but a real threat.