What’s a plausible reason for someone to assasinate James Madison?

Discussion in 'Help and Rules' started by Essence, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Essence New Member

I’m not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I was writing an American timeline. I have a good layout, but I have one problem. My POD was going to be the assasination of Madison. However, I am having trouble finding someone that would have a great reason to do it.

Any ideas?

2. The Plainsman Some call me Bazinga

I think you would have better luck asking this question in the Before 1900 forums.

King_Arthur likes this.
  3. edgeworthy Well-Known Member

Prime Minister Spencer Perceval was assassinated by a disgruntled merchant, impoverished by the war, in 1812.

Its not a gigantic leap to apply the same criteria to the President of the United States.
    (So you might want to go with random angry citizen?)

4. Jasen777 Paid to fake it Donor

Besides which, people don't always need a reason that makes any sense to take a shot at the president.

January First-of-May likes this.
  5. January First-of-May Well-Known Member

I distinctly recall having heard of someone who wanted to assassinate a president, and having not been able to find a good opportunity to shoot the previous president, he ended up shooting the newly elected one, shortly after his inauguration.

Apparently none of the major American presidential assassination attempts fit; I suppose it could have happened in another country (e.g. with the Canadian prime minister).

6. King_Arthur The Once and Present King

Dinkley did that

7. January First-of-May Well-Known Member

It took me some googling to figure out that you were referring to Hinckley (who tried to assassinate Ronald Reagan, though modern medicine saved the day).

King_Arthur likes this.
  8. King_Arthur The Once and Present King

Whoops. Yeah I was. He wanted to shoot Carter but changed his mind.