Western Civilization, Redux: Britain and Britannicus

Foul Spirits ~ Murders ~ Victorious
I've given myself far too much work with this timeline, and am nowhere near finished. However, I feel like I've covered the first five years or so of the timeline to my satisfaction. So without further ado, I present: Vignettes. Too short indiviudally for multiple posts, so spoilered for easy browsing. I apologize if they aren't especially compelling, I've just written them at one in the morning.
Also- this is my first attempt at a timeline. Please bear with me.

The party had been going for quite a while, long enough that some had left and others been removed. Still, the musicians played, and the game of politics continued beneath the surface of pleasant conversations.

“I’d like my wine heated, please.”

The servant nodded deferentially to the adolescent, taking the cup and beginning to move away. The older boy who reclined on the next couch put out a hand to halt him as he gulped the last of his wine.

“More for me, as well,” he said above the clamor of the party.

The servant took the other’s cup and continued walking. The boys talked between themselves, largely ignoring the other guests at the party. This continued for a few minutes, until the servant returned bearing both cups. As he began to hold one out toward the younger boy, the elder snatched it from his fingers and took a large swallow.

“Agh! Hot!” He spat much of it out, slamming the cup on the table. “I grabbed the wrong…”

He bent over, clutching his stomach. “Nngh!”

“What, burned your stomach?” laughed the younger. The older shook his head, then fell to the floor and threw up.

“Titus!” The boy quickly knelt by his elder friend, doing his best to help. A quick glance showed that the servant had made himself scarce. “Somebody call a healer!”

Titus groaned and sat up in bed, putting his palms to his head. “Ugh… have I been kicked by a horse?”

“Nothing so mundane. I think Lucius tried to poison me.” Titus briefly opened his eyes in shock at his friend’s words, then winced and squeezed them shut again.

“And I drank from your cup… gods!”

“Exactly. And since then, your father has had us both under heavy guard.”

“You’re rolling your eyes, Britannicus. I can hear it in your voice.”

“Well, it’s a fine gesture. But Lucius is Princeps. He has a lot of money to work with.” Britannicus crossed his arms and leaned back. “If he truly wants me dead, he can probably manage it.”

Titus slowly opened his eyes. “That depends on whether news of this gets around.”

“What, you think the senators care about yet another poisoning?”

“Not when it succeeds and they can call it an ‘unfortunate accident’. But this attempt failed. Whether they truly care or not, they at least have to pretend to. Besides, your father had a lot of supporters that might not be happy to hear of an attempt on your life.”

“Maybe you’re right. If I can live until I turn fourteen and come of age next month, perhaps I can garner some support.”

“You work on that. I’m going back to sleep.”

Britannicus tapped his chin thoughtfully as he lay on the couch. At eighteen, he had mostly passed from adolescent scrawniness to wiry adulthood. His small following among the senators had not grown appreciably in the past year or two, but at least he had enough supporters that he’d find out about any of Lucius’ attempts on his life before they happened. He’d already discovered and discreetly dealt with two such in the last year; perhaps the lessened number of murder attempts meant Lucius was giving up. On the other hand, he could do without his stepmother’s Agrippina’s overly public endorsements and ringing praise. It wasn’t as if she actually cared for him; she simply hated her son. Seneca and Burrus’ support were much more appreciated; they were quiet about it, but they gave fairly useful advice.

Titus burst into the room, panting. “Britannicus! Agrippina’s dead!

Britannicus quickly sat up. “What? How?”

Titus slid down the wall to sit on the floor. “Drowned. A boating accident, supposedly.”

“Lucius?”

“Probably. In any case, can we afford not to suspect him?”

“Quite.” Britannicus dropped off the couch and joined his friend on the marble floor. “What’s Lucius done since?”

“About what you’d expect. Blamed the boat's craftsmen, waxed poetic, sobbed a bit. Crocodile tears, I’m sure.”

Since Agrippina’s death, Lucius had become increasingly erratic, and more people had begun looking to Britannicus. He wasn’t quite sure how he felt about it.

“Britannicus! Stop looking so glum! Mingle, it’s your party!”

Shaken out of his reverie, he looked over at Titus. “Must I? It’s not that I don’t enjoy these events, but…”

Titus rolled his eyes. “Yeah, yeah. I know, you’d rather be planning clever ways out of murder attempts. And gods forbid you get too far away from your reading. But you know this is important.”

Britannicus sighed. “Yes, I know. If I’m to keep their support I need to show my stability in contrast to Lucius. Your father has said it often enough.”

“Uh-oh.” Titus leaned toward him. “You might find stability a problem. Here comes Marcia.”

Britannicus’ eyes widened. “Marcia Furnilla, the senator’s daughter? Uh- how do I look?”

Titus grinned. “Just as much of a fool as normal, my friend.” Britannicus pushed him good-naturedly as he continued talking. “You’ll wind up being one of those couples that pretend to marry for politics so no-one catches on that you love each other, won’t you?”

“Oh, be quiet.” Britannicus gathered his courage and wove off through the crowd, giving greetings where they were due. Titus smiled faintly.

Boudicca rubbed her fists into her eyes. She and her followers had been on the move for she-wasn’t-sure-how-long. She’d already had to stop them from reveling after their victory at the Roman settlement of Londinium, and again it Verulamium. At least they got to sleep; she’d barely caught an hour here or there while planning for this next strike. She felt far older than her thirty years. But it would all pay off if they could catch up to the Romans before they had time to regroup.

Andraste had smiled upon them. They had outflanked the Romans, boxing them into a narrow gorge, and were perfectly positioned to starve them out. It took a week, but by the end the Romans fell to a man, and Boudicca got some much-needed rest in the meantime while her followers enjoyed themselves by throwing stones at the Romans from atop the cliffs. Or pissing on them. With a rockslide blocking one exit and the Britons the other, the Roman soldiers didn’t have many options for escape.

Now there was a single legion remaining. Boudicca and her followers had left the area of the battle and regrouped a good distance away, around a large hill. As she looked over the camp from the top of it, she saw a few figures drawing near the edge. Then more- perhaps twenty in all. Confused, she called one of the younger men toward her.

“Cunobelin, isn’t it?”

“Yes, ma’am?”

“You’re young and energetic. Run down there to see who’s arrived, would you?”

“Right away.” He took her words at face value, sprinting down the hill and toward the edge of the camp.

He did not return for about fifteen minutes. Just as Boudicca was about to get up and go find out for herself, the young man came slowly back up the hill, a stricken expression on his face.

“Cunobelin?”

“Ma’am- it- they-“

“Come on, spit it out.”

“The Romans, ma’am! They’ve destroyed the groves of Mona! Desecrated it!”

She stared. She knew the Romans were barbarians, no matter how civilized they made themselves out to be; but this was low even for them. Even as she grappled with the fact, wailing and shouts of anger rose from the camp below. She closed her eyes, grimaced, and then opened them again.

“Cunobelin. There will be time for mourning. But first, tell me who those new arrivals were.”

Cunobelin nodded quickly. “They are Brigantes. They say there are others coming. Uh… all of them, actually.”

Boudicca raised an eyebrow. “Cartimandua finally grew a spine?”

“Uh, no. She isn’t coming. The Brigantes came to join you.”

“I see.” Boudicca stood and clapped the young man on the shoulder. “Thank you for your help.” She had a lot of plans to reconsider.

Nero had not had a good day. Ever since he’d made the decision to withdraw the remaining Roman troops in Britain and not attempt to retake it, far too many people had been ridiculing him. Everyone was talking about Britannicus behind his back, he was sure of it. His stepbrother refused to fall victim to any of his plots- he avoided poison somehow, and he kept slipping out of political snares. And the damn man had the nerve to bring up Agrippina as the two of them passed each other earlier. Nero had had her killed, of course, but that didn’t mean Britannicus had any right to say so. No, not say- imply. That was much worse.

He’d decided to go back to the palace and play his lyre. Then the strings broke on the instrument, damn it too. So was it any wonder that he’d slapped Claudia when she asked how his day had gone? No, of course not. It was Britannicus’ fault entirely. If he had just died before he came of age, all this would have been avoided, Nero was sure of it. That man’s sister Claudia deserved that kick, those punches.

She’d said nothing afterward, and little this morning. Never raising her voice, not her.

“Here you are, dear.”

Nero looked up from his couch with a fading sneer. Claudia, always the subservient one. Dear Claudia, bringing him wine even when he’d beaten her the night before. He took the cup she offered and drank it, long and slow. His sneer returned.

“Woman, have you ever stood up for yourself? Ever showed the slightest backbone?”

Claudia smiled. “I'll tell you when you wake up, dear.”

He never did.

So, dear reader, as perhaps you can tell, this is a timeline with two main points of divergence- the failure of Britannicus' assassination, and the success of Boudicca's rebellion. The timeline will mainly follow the effects of these individually, as well as how these divergences interact down the road. This is not due to a lack of interest in other parts of the world, but rather a lack of knowledge which I currently endeavor to rectify.

Last edited:
The Julio-Claudians: A Brief Overview
After Claudius’ death, his step-son Nero became emperor. His reign was brief, and little is known about him; his reign is most notable for the beginning of the Parthian War and his withdrawal of Roman forces from Prydain after the revolt led by Boudicca. He died shortly after. He had been acting erratically for a year or two by that point, so it is likely that he had some illness of the brain. He was succeeded by Claudius’ son, Britannicus, who had gained much favor among the senators.

Supposedly, Britannicus had narrowly survived an assassination attempt by his stepbrother as an adolescent; the story goes that Britannicus and his childhood friend Parthicus confused their cups of wine, and Parthicus nearly died. It is difficult to be certain, however, as most sources that refer to the event date from a decade or so after at the earliest, and thus are quite possibly biased.

The eventful early years of Britannicus’ reign were known for the defeat of the Parthians- the victory which gained Parthicus his name- and the resulting annexation of Mesopotamia. This was roughly concurrent with the Jewish Revolt, which resulted in Domitian’s complete destruction of the city of Jerusalem.

On the tenth anniversary of his crowning, Britannicus issued an edict that gave all free men and women in the Empire Roman citizenship, and the right to use the tria nomina; the goodwill this caused likely accounts for the large number who took his nomen afterward.

In the twentieth year of his reign he employed the philosopher Tiberius Claudius Epictetus to tutor his son Marcus. This resulted in Epictetus writing the famed dialogue, The Way of Principes, which is still read dutifully by many rulers in the modern era.

-Excerpt from “The Julio-Claudians: A Brief Overview.”

Last edited:
Addressing the Senate
10th of January, a.u. 815.

“You should take back Britannia, brother!”

“Are you kidding, Titus? They’d want to give me the name of the province as an honorific- again! ‘Caesar Tiberius Claudius Britannicus Britannicus’? That just sounds silly. Besides, Boudicca may not have realized it, but she helped make me Princeps, and I don’t really feel like avenging Lucius’ defeat. We’ll let them be. But Rome does need a victory, and it would probably help solidify my control anyway.” He thought for a moment. “How does Parthia sound? We’re at war with them anyway. Let’s see just how thoroughly we can win.”

Titus cocked an eyebrow. “And how exactly are we going to manage that?”

“Well, we’ll start by telling the legions there to pull back while we come up with something.”

“You mean to tell me you don’t even have a plan?”

Britannicus shrugged. “I’m sure Mars will grant us something good. Besides, we need time to rebuild the four legions the Britons defeated.”

“I suppose. I just hope you have something by the time you address the senators next week.”

19th of January.

The senators and those legates who were present waited expectantly. Not so much the way a child awaits a gift; more the way a man waits to find out if his child is strong enough to live well and carry on the family, or if he will have to expose it on some hill. Let’s hope I’m not the latter, Britannicus thought uneasily. He took a deep breath, and slowly let it out; this address was important, and he'd only just got them to quiet down after saying Britannia would not be reconquered.

“The way I see it, there are two important points of information. Primarily, there is the problem of keeping Parthia from rising again. No, don’t start that shouting again- we cannot hold the entire region, no matter what national pride says. I don’t like it any more than you, but which looks better- breaking Parthia, or conquering it only to have it rise and throw us out just as Britannia did?”

The officials murmured among each other, but none objected.

“Thank you. So, if we want to destroy Parthia as a threat, we need to do one thing: capture Mesopotamia. If they don’t have access to the fertile land there, they’ll find it much harder to feed their soldiers. Now, the legions disgraced in Britannia have asked to be given a chance to prove themselves again, once they’ve been replenished. If we station them in Mesopotamia, we will have a firm hold on Parthia’s food supply. Then we can simply sit back and watch them destroy themselves.”

“But what of the second point? You said there were two.” That was Titus; Britannicus had asked him to ask the question, of course. His ready answer would hopefully make him seem in control.

“Indeed. We’re withdrawing from Parthia for the time being.”

The senators’ shouts rose again, clamoring for supremacy. Britannicus let them go on for a while, then raised his voice. “I’D LIKE TO FINISH.”

The racket slowly died down. Britannicus noted a few senators giving him sly, how-will-you-get-out-of-this-one grins. He smiled cheerily back. I shan’t give them the satisfaction of seeing how nervous I truly am.

“Parthia has a problem that, I would hope, we are above. In any time of peace, they will manage to bring internal strife. Our own problem has been a tendency to attack when they are strong. But if we withdraw, their losses in this war-” nearly said ‘may’, that would have cost me “-will inevitably tempt a power struggle. That will be our time to strike.”

There was further argument, of course, but Britannicus’ speech had convince enough of the senators that he didn’t need to participate. Instead he relaxed and waited for it to die down.

Afterward, Titus made his way over. “Good speech. Nicely said.”

“Thanks. I just hope to Jove I’m right.”

Last edited:
Unity?
Prydain

Boudicca leaned forward over the table in the co-opted house, her red locks cascading around her elbows. The elders and subchiefs of the various tribes reclined on their cushions, some seeming at ease, others quite nervous. The three druids stood in the corner, two of them quite aloof, one still red-eyed after seeing the destruction of the Holy Isle.
"We cannot stand against the Romans if we do not unite. Is that agreed?"
Assention came, some of it reluctant.
"I have led the people in driving out the Romans. I have studied our faults and the Romans' strengths. If we and our people agree on the changes we need to make, I swear to you, the Romans will never again gain a foothold upon our shores."
"Oh, that's all very well and good, Boudicca, but what kind of 'changes' do you propose?"
This came from Rhun, an old warrior of the Brigantes. He seemed to respect her; but respect and support were very different things.
"We stop fighting each other, for one. If we enter this pact, we will swear to be as one kingdom, with one king. All the lands of the tribe will belong to him and his successors as well as to the people. This-"
That wasn't met well. The assembled leaders began shouting over one another that they would allow no king to dictate what they could do with their land. Boudicca raised her voice and shouted over them: "THE KING IS CHOSEN BY THE TRIBE!"
They stopped; she had a rather loud voice, after all, and it had only been honed by battlefield command.
"The land is the tribe's, and the king is chosen by the consensus of the tribe. No king will rule if the people do not allow it. The king's ownership will help unite the tribes into one people, and give the king a stake in ensuring it remains with the people. Common land and common law will make us strong.
"And just who do you expect will be the king of this union?"
"That is the choice of the people."

Last edited:
Poems ~ Foresight
And lo, the queen of the Iceni
Facing down the Roman horde
Fire-red hair, bright was it shining
She called her followers to battle
She led the warriors to raven-feast
Boudicca, victory her name,
Followed her name, in battle bright
The Romans fly from Prydain,
Never more to foul its' shores

But listen! for her tale is not done!
She must now contend with greater foes
The leaders of men who call themselves wise
Minds set in stone which she must carve
A way will be made on her foundation
So says she, who faced down the Romans
Boudicca, the queen of the Iceni
Drove forever the foe from the Isles
Out of Prydain, a free land once more

-A bardic poem, dating from the founding of the Queendom of Prydain

"The history is coming along well, then, Cadwal?"
The bard started, peering over his shoulder from where he sat on the ground. Boudicca stood behind him, hands on her hips.
"Yes. Although I still need a rhyme for 'apple'."
She raised an eyebrow. "...Do I want to know?"
"You'll hear it eventually. Feast days and so on, when the old-timers want to remember the days of the Roman defeat."
"Hmph. In all honesty, I'd rather stay away from feasts from here on. The Romans are gone, and I can finally relax."
Cadwal stared at her for a moment. "...You have no idea, do you? Oh, this is most definitely going in the poem."
"No idea about what?"
"The people love you, Boudicca. You're a sure bet for queen."
"What? We haven't even decided when to hold the choosing yet!" she said incredulously. "How would you know?"
"I'm a bard, remember? I'm in the business of knowing. At any rate, you may want to pick out a seat of government. You'll be using it soon enough."

I was rooting to see a Britannicus alive and Emperor since... Ever. And this looks indeed great quality stuff.

Interesting to see Octavia grew a backbone TTL enough to kill Nero. Considering what she passed... I wonder who could be her next spouse, surely every senator or general of the Empire would like to get her hand. At least the house of Claudius could live still for a longer shot.

In hindsight, Nero pulling out from Britain couldn't have been a bad move for the long term... But indeed the Empire wouldn't forgive which could have been passed as an act of weakness.

I was rooting to see a Britannicus alive and Emperor since... Ever. And this looks indeed great quality stuff.

Interesting to see Octavia grew a backbone TTL enough to kill Nero. Considering what she passed... I wonder who could be her next spouse, surely every senator or general of the Empire would like to get her hand. At least the house of Claudius could live still for a longer shot.

In hindsight, Nero pulling out from Britain couldn't have been a bad move for the long term... But indeed the Empire wouldn't forgive which could have been passed as an act of weakness.

Thank you! It's been kind of a pet POD of mine for a while, but I never really bothered to sit down and do anything with it.
As for Octavia's options of remarriage... I'll just say 'Spoilers!' and leave it at that for now.

Thank you! It's been kind of a pet POD of mine for a while, but I never really bothered to sit down and do anything with it.
As for Octavia's options of remarriage... I'll just say 'Spoilers!' and leave it at that.

You are welcome! My bets for now are on Titus. A marriage alliance between the Claudian house and the Flavian one may bring stability.

My only nitpick is why you wrote Domitian quelled the Hebrew riot. He was too young, I think Vespasian would have still done it.

You are welcome! My bets for now are on Titus. A marriage alliance between the Claudian house and the Flavian one may bring stability.

My only nitpick is why you wrote Domitian quelled the Hebrew riot. He was too young, I think Vespasian would have still done it.

Again, spoilers! But astute assumptions. Hopefully I'll get the next bit posted tomorrow night, after my college classes.
Well, I say tomorrow, but it's 3 in the morning here, so I suppose that would be tonight. Anyway, expect more soon.

Last edited:
Historiae ~ A Wedding
…soon after his announcement of the temporary Roman withdrawal from Parthia, Britannicus began to show what sort of emperor he was. His first act was to give a stipend to the Praetorian Guard, as his father had before him; this served to both reward and ensure their loyalty. He then took the funds formerly set aside for the upkeep of Roman holdings in Britannia and set them towards public works, such as aqueducts and canals, sorely needed in some parts of the Empire. He also commanded the cessation of treason trials, and with them the network of spies and informants that had been formed. This set the tone of free speech for the remainder of his reign. The event which most emphasized this occurred shortly after, when a satirist parodied the Emperor, not realizing Britannicus would be attending. Far from anger, however, Britannicus was seen by many to be overcome with laughter. This exemplified the friendly manner and lack of pomp for which he was known throughout his reign...

-Tacitus, Historiae

In 815, Britannicus was married to Marcia Furnilla, the daughter of a senator who had greatly supported him, even before the death of Nero. In that same year, Titus was married to Claudia, Nero’s widow. Both were political marriages- the Emperor’s marriage rewarded his supporter’s family and made the promise that other supporters would be rewarded as well; while Titus’ marriage brought together the Flavian and Julio-Claudian houses, and gave him closer ties to his friend Britannicus…

-Tacitus, Historiae

25th of August, 815

“Nervous?” Titus smirked. Britannicus tugged at his formal toga.

“Um. A bit. Marriage is… is a big thing, right?”

Titus shrugged. “I suppose.”

“I hope you plan to change that attitude before you marry my sister next month,” Britannicus said reproachfully.

“Don’t worry, Britannicus. I’ll treat her well. Certainly better than Lucius did, though that isn’t saying much. But why are you still standing here? Go, go! Don’t hold up the ceremony!”

“You have to come too, you’re one of my witnesses!” Britannicus said frantically as Titus pushed him toward the room’s exit.

“I’m right behind you! But you better be there when your wife comes over the threshold!”

A few moments of panic followed, and most of the ceremony was a blur to Britannicus; he mostly smiled at Marcia through her flame-yellow veil and hoped he didn’t look like a complete idiot. At some point, people began to leave the room. The high priest of Jupiter gave a parting nod. Finally Titus made his way out the door, clapping Britannicus on the shoulder. He stopped briefly in the doorway.

“You know, I think you two are allowed to let go now.”

Britannicus realized he was still holding Marcia’s right hand in his own. By her smile, she didn’t seem to mind it any more than he did. So they held hands all the way to the bedroom.

I managed to get this bit done before my class, so I'm posting it early. I might take a bit longer on the next bit, though, as there may be military strategy involved and accuracy could take a little while.

Last edited:
Camulodunun
Prydain. July, 815.

Cadwal had been right, damn him. He usually was. The people of this new realm had chosen Boudicca as their Queen. The realm itself, while still far from stable, was beginning to settle. The War Council had decided to remain together until such time as the queendom's stability was unquestioned. She'd chosen Camulodunun as the new center of government for its central and convenient location, and it was in the process of being rebuilt- though that was a bit of a task, considering it had been burnt to the ground. The other tribes of Prydain remained in their kingdoms and villages, content for now to observe the establishment of the queendom. Now only one issue remained.
How, exactly, does one run a country in time of peace?

Yes, I jumped back a month for this update. Sorry for the confusion. The next segment is taking a little more work to research, and my writer's block and generally hectic schedule aren't helping. But y'all deserve some kind of update.
As for why Camulodunun; I narrowed down locations to three equally sensible options; but Camulodunun sounds like Camelot, which, despite having no bearing on the future of the timeline, was enough to convince me.

War Begins
Rome. March, a.u. 816.

After some searching through the palace, Titus eventually found Britannicus seated on the edge of a fountain in the courtyard.
"You sent a messenger. It must be important."
"Ah, Titus! Actually, yes." Britannicus rummaged through a few parchments on the tiled floor beside him. "Here it is. According to the reports we've gotten, Parthia is in the middle of a civil war." He handed the page to Titus, who scanned it quickly.
"You were right, then?"
"Yes. The time is right to renew the war. And I'm putting you in charge."
"Good. It's about time."

Mesopotamia. June, a.u. 816

Titus wiped the sweat from his forehead as he looked over the soldiers beginning to set up camp. They had so far managed to avoid any real combat, and so hopefully had also evaded detection.
But that was likely to change as they neared the Tigris. Which was probably a good thing; the men were getting restless.
"Sir!"
Titus turned to the voice; it belonged to one of the Roman scouts.
"Speak."
"Sir, there is a Parthian army a few miles away. I followed for a few miles, but could not draw close enough to discern which faction. They were setting camp when I left them, but had been moving due east before then."
Titus nodded as he took in the report. "Thank you, soldier. Go get some food and rest."
The man saluted, then departed for the camp.
Titus looked to the east, where the hills gave way to wide, barren plains. If the army rose early and sped quickly, they might be able to strike from the hills before the Parthian force reached the plains.
Of course, they could always cut to the south and go around the Parthians; but leaving a hostile force behind them was a poor tactical decision, besides the fact that the idea did not sit well with him. Neither did he particularly wish to traverse the swamps to the south.
That settled it, then. He entered the camp to find the legati of the legions under his command, and get a few preliminary orders to the soldiers. They would need to expand on his plan, of course. But before they did, he'd make sure the men knew they'd need to make an early start.

Last edited:
A victory with the Persians would give glory to our characters, and stability in the East for a long time. But would allow the Britannics to further strengthen their unity... I wonder if there would be an Atlantic wall in Roman sauce soon or later.

A victory with the Persians would give glory to our characters, and stability in the East for a long time. But would allow the Britannics to further strengthen their unity... I wonder if there would be an Atlantic wall in Roman sauce soon or later.

Roman... sauce?

I'm still working on this, if anyone cares. I've just had to take some time away to focus on schoolwork. But I hope to update again soon.
In the meantime: What do y'all think of Paltucca as a name for one of Boudicca's daughters (their actual names having been lost to history)? I think it checks out linguistically.