Welsh Independence in The 1900s

What POD is needed for the seeds of Welsh Republicanism/Independence to occur?

Recently learning about the Irish republican movement and learning about the "University of the Revolution" internment camp in Farngoch, Northern Wales has made me think could this place have inspired something similar perhaps in Wales early on and how would that occur.

Obviously as far as my knowledge of Wales at this time is that we were very much staunch Unionist with a vocal minority looking to self rule.

Any help on establishing this POD be it post 1900 or before are greatly appreciated.

Would significant devolution do?

If you can keep the Liberals as a going concern, and strangle Labour in its cradle, you basically have one of the major UK parties with a fetish for constitutional reform... with a power base in Wales.

If you can keep the Liberals as a going concern, and strangle Labour in its cradle, you basically have one of the major UK parties with a fetish for constitutional reform... with a power base in Wales.
Think I'm correct in saying that Welsh was in a lot more common use in the 1900s than it was today. If you can get a devolved assembly going in the early 1900s with similar powers to the one they have now, that might be enough to keep it as a first language for substantial percentage of the population, which would likely increase nationalist sentiment in the long run. Throw in a few other PoDs to make staying the UK look like an increasingly unappealing option, then I think independence is possible by today.

Potentially. I was looking to dip my toes into writing a political TL based around early 20th century Wales and the effects an independent Wales would have going into the century overall and how it would affect the rUK as a result