Well-written Modern WWIII TLs?

(I sincerely hope this is the correct place to post this.)

Most WWIII TLs I've found on this site mainly use a POD that has the Cold War go hot with NATO and the Warsaw Pact duking it out in continental Europe. What I'm looking for are TLs about a WWIII that kicks of in the modern day and the repercussions it has on today's globalized society. I’d prefer ones where the war stays mostly conventional, though is fought with state-of-the-art modern weaponry like drones and such. The effects and ramifications resulting from the existence of social media and the internet in general would also be immensely interesting to see.

Oh, and just to be clear, I'm not just strictly restricting myself to this site. Books and YouTube videos and such are fine too. :)

(I sincerely hope this is the correct place to post this.)

Most WWIII TLs I've found on this site mainly use a POD that has the Cold War go hot with NATO and the Warsaw Pact duking it out in continental Europe. What I'm looking for are TLs about a WWIII that kicks of in the modern day and the repercussions it has on today's globalized society. I’d prefer ones where the war stays mostly conventional, though is fought with state-of-the-art modern weaponry like drones and such. The effects and ramifications resulting from the existence of social media and the internet in general would also be immensely interesting to see.

Oh, and just to be clear, I'm not just strictly restricting myself to this site. Books and YouTube videos and such are fine too. :)

I started one, "A Summer Day in 1999" which you can see below in my signature. Unfortuantley I never completed it, but the plan was finished and I hope to return to it, currently back in full time study so all my AH timelines are on hold atm.

Last edited:
What I'm looking for are TLs about a WWIII that kicks of in the modern day and the repercussions it has on today's globalized society. I’d prefer ones where the war stays mostly conventional, though is fought with state-of-the-art modern weaponry like drones and such. The effects and ramifications resulting from the existence of social media and the internet in general would also be immensely interesting to see.

I have an entire blog that, although having diverged, still has a big amount of World War III books reviewed, from past and present.

For modern, mostly conventional WW3 books, you have James Ronsone's Red Storm series. John Schettler has made two giant contemporary WWIII arcs in his even bigger Kirov series, starting with Homecoming and Condition Zebra. Peter Nealen has also written a contemporary WWIII series with Maelstrom Rising, starting with Escalation. I have varying opinions on some of them, but yours might differ, and they're worth a try.

As far as the latter part goes, I'm sorry to say that I can't think of any right now. Most people writing about the social ramifications of war and conflict will just choose an existing one without feeling the need to make a conventional Third World War that they and most people will (rightfully) consider implausible.