Weirdest Possible Multipolar Cold War

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
Some serious rift in the capitalist world which has nothing to do with democracy vs. fascism.

A larger non-aligned movement among newly developing countries. And I think there’s some potential for a mid-sized block of countries making a conscious decision to develop both their cash and non-cash economies.

xsampa

Banned
What would the weirdest possible multipolar cold war with a POD of 1900 look like?
A surviving unified post-Ottoman state with territory in Africa and Europe and a colonized China (worse Boxer rebellion) and colonized Persia could do — nations like Luristan are rare

Yeah, I like this idea.... the whole concept of a "bi-polar" world based entirely on a difference of opinion over economics has always annoyed me :p
Different ending to WWI and you could see maybe a "quadripolar" world, or even more complexities....

xsampa

Banned
I think a Peshawar Lancer’s Style Event would certainly shake things up a bit — Russian Persia anyone

"Multipolar" requires at least violently incompatible ideologies, of which all but one must be authoritarian or totalitarian. OTL there was liberal democracy and Communism. Fascism and Japanese imperialism existed, but did not survive into the nuclear age, when Cold War happened.

I don't see any other ideology taking control of a country with the potential of becoming a nuclear "Great Power".

The Soviet Union avoided turning East Europe communist, with the exception of, say, Bulgaria. Soviet troops are stationed in Poland, without interfering in the Polish political system. All these arrangements would be in exchange of a permanently divided Germany, into Saxony, Hannover, Hessen, Bavaria, Baden, Austria, and a half of Prussia.

Another half of Prussia would be rewarded to Poland, without ethinically cleansing their German population, this could keep a post war democratic/soft authoritarian Poland occupied, unable to challenge the USSR.

This way, the Cold War wouldn’t start so early. And because there is no Germany, Anglo-French hostilities would resume, leaving the Soviets alone. The Soviet Union could therefore go on exporting their revolution in China, the Arab countries and Iran with all their effort, without much alert from the west.

With more Soviet support earlier on in China, Mao wouldn’t be able to weaken the pro-Soviet faction. Therefore, a Sino-Soviet split would be avoided, and this means China’s “lost” decade (from 1959 to circa 1973) would not be.

For the Middle East, more Soviet resources may prevent the Arab countries from purging their communist elements. With the right twist, a unified Arab state may emerge from the fertile crescent.

We might end up, in the 90s and 00s, with a four-way Cold War: China, the Soviet Union, the Arab countries, and the United States.

Last edited:
Another power in the cold war could be a pan Arab state superstate that includes the entire Arabian peninsula + Iraq. This state alone would account for 51.3% of all proven oil reserves. In addition to that, it would sit at the Suez canal and at the Persian gulf, giving it dominance over trade oil shipments from Iran. As to what different ideology the have, maybe it could an absolute monarchy like OTL Saudi Arabia.

GRAPH OPEC share world crude oil reserves 2018.jpg

Edit: formating

A larger non-aligned movement among newly developing countries. And I think there’s some potential for a mid-sized block of countries making a conscious decision to develop both their cash and non-cash economies.
Agree, always found the idea of essentially two non-aligned movements interesting, one left leaning the other right leaning yet potentially both headed by rising superpowers whose interests diverge from the US and USSR respectively.

Last edited:
An interesting bloc would be a western european bloc of "eurocommunist" countries not alligned with Moscow. It could form in the mid 70s, with Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece and France becoming "Non colectivist communist" through elections, and forming an alliance after leaving NATO. (It would require a different PCP in Portugal, the OTL one being closely linked with Moscow)