Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

Sorry for the delay everyone, my computer broke recently and I'm still without a replacement. Using a mobile device to create the poll thread was difficult and I honestly forgot to do it yesterday while I was busy trying to fix my PC.

Anyways, the POLES ARE OPEN (on the field!)

Additionally, the POLLS ARE OPEN!

Flag Challenge #237: No humans allowed

Seeing how the last challenge was Fantasy inspiried it seems only fitting the next one would be Sci Fi inspiried.

The challenge is to design a flag for a nation or organization that is run solely by non-humans. Anything goes, sentient AIs, robots, aliens, intelligent animals, etc. You can get as creative as you want. Maybe a society of mutants that are mostly human but are not seen as such by normal humans? Or a group of brains that were once human, but chose to ditch their bodies.

The only rule should be that whatever entity you are creating should be sentient, but shouldn't make you think "that's a human" at first glance. (pop culture settings allowed)

Submissions Open
Submissions Close: December 4th

melean.png

The Brock Confederation is the nonhuman polity inhabiting/dominating the Meles star system.
The Meles system is unusual for its highly lagrangian set up with the Gas Giant Meles II-prime having terraformable planets/moons in its lagrangian points and was therefore assigned a priority settlement sleepship following discovery by the Terran Union.
Unfortunately, like most Gamma Class Sleepships the primary AI, the crew, and most of the genestocks, perished on route and the secondary AIs were forced to improvise uplift from their remaining supplies. With the system having the name Meles, badgers were designated the main stock to uplift from.
Successful colonies were established upon the trojans Meles II-L4 "Taxonia" and II-L5 "Wisconsin" which later colonised the remaining terraformed worlds including Meles II-L3 "Antimele" and the future capital moon II-L1 "Milly" which housed most of the AI and tech.

Poleepkwa
Known on Earth by the derogatory term "Prawns", the Poleepkwa made first contact with Humans in 1982, when one of their large carriers arrived over Johannesburg in South Africa. Accepted in South Africa as "interstellar Refugees", the Poleepkwa we allocated housing in an area call "District 9". Unfortunately, the allocated area was little more than a shanty town rife with crime, drugs and cat food. After 20 years living on Earth, the Poleepkwa seemed of have overstayed their welcome, with the local human population demanding they are removed from the city with civil disturbances between humans and the Poleepkwa growing in intensity with Specieist overtones.

In 2002, Christopher Johnson, a native born Poleepkwan manages to repair a dropship using the Poleepkwan "Black Liquid", a mysterious substance and return to their home planet of Poleepkwa and arrange for a rescue mission for his fellow Poleepkwans stranded and mistreated on Earth.

The flag of Poleepkwa is based on the "Black Liquid" with the planet Poleepkwa surrounded by its seven moons. A stylised design of a Poleepkwan is also shown on the planet itself. The text on the right hand side simply says Poleepkwa their native text.

Untitled design (7).png

Union of Uplifted

In the middle of the 21st century there were many advances in genetics and bionics. These advances were used to uplift animals for work, military, and companionship. One of the uplifted was a dog by the name of Dan l75. Grateful for being uplifted, he still realized
that those like him needed rights. Through a group of like minded uplifted he called a union, they would get the rights to be full members of society, instead of just intelligent tools. This was done ten years after his death from accelerated uplift age problems.\

uplift.png

Polls Closed

Congrats @The Professor for winning WFC #237!
View attachment 603187
The Brock Confederation is the nonhuman polity inhabiting/dominating the Meles star system.
The Meles system is unusual for its highly lagrangian set up with the Gas Giant Meles II-prime having terraformable planets/moons in its lagrangian points and was therefore assigned a priority settlement sleepship following discovery by the Terran Union.
Unfortunately, like most Gamma Class Sleepships the primary AI, the crew, and most of the genestocks, perished on route and the secondary AIs were forced to improvise uplift from their remaining supplies. With the system having the name Meles, badgers were designated the main stock to uplift from.
Successful colonies were established upon the trojans Meles II-L4 "Taxonia" and II-L5 "Wisconsin" which later colonised the remaining terraformed worlds including Meles II-L3 "Antimele" and the future capital moon II-L1 "Milly" which housed most of the AI and tech.

Thank you
Flag Challenge 238: The Republic of Cityhaven

Design a flag for a city state that did not exist OTL and that espouses some ideal civic tenet.

Submissions Open
Submissions Close: 18 December 2020, 23.59 GMT
Since the polls will close on Christmas Day festive entries welcome (I couldn't think of a better challenge than the last holiday one!)
Questions and Suggestions welcome - I fear it is too vague!

Umm... for example?...
Well, no "every good Citizen wears a fake head" sort of thing. Unless it obviously springs from their religion of the Big Giant Head of course.
Generally I'm after believable "Good Citizen" ideology even if it's not actually followed like "The American Way" or "Revolutionary Republican" or "Soviet Worker".
Doesn't have to be blatant and can just be mentioned in passing.
Does that sense?

Well, no "every good Citizen wears a fake head" sort of thing. Unless it obviously springs from their religion of the Big Giant Head of course.
Generally I'm after believable "Good Citizen" ideology even if it's not actually followed like "The American Way" or "Revolutionary Republican" or "Soviet Worker".
Doesn't have to be blatant and can just be mentioned in passing.
Does that sense?
I think I understand, I guess, thanks.

Multicultural Free State of Hong Kong

China went bust during Cultural Revolution, and rival revolutionary committees became a bunch of rival states.

The new Chinese confederacy in the 1980s had a steep cultural change, and justified themselves with provincial self-determination.

Hong Kong was not free from the influences on the Mainland. With the influx of refugees, provincial identities became more prominent in Hong Kong as well.

The new free-state of Hong Kong, having gained independence in 1997, had a new flag: with prominant buildings symbolizing Hakka, Hokkien, Hunan, Sze Yip cultures, and the Bombax flower Cantonese culture.
B4569B21-9CDC-42F0-8DFF-63AA7FBEED4B.jpeg