Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

Atlantian Diaspora and the Autonomous Republic of Atlántis (La república autónoma de Atlántis)
(Note: There are references to multiple fictional texts that are either related to Atlantis or inspired by them.)
The Atlantean archipelago is a cluster of small islands located in the Atlantic Ocean. The Atlantean archipelago was originally an island roughly 697,000 km2 in size. It sits on the Antediluvian continent, which broke off from the European Continent during the Paleocene, roughly 60 million years ago. Most of the island's unique flora and fauna died during Eocene–Oligocene extinction event. The first humanoid inhabitants was a group of Neanderthals about 41 thousand years ago. Around 40 thousand years ago, the first homo sapiens arrived on the island. The neanderthal and homo sapiens populations did interbreed, leading the modern descents of the island to contain 6% neanderthal DNA, as opposed to the 1-4% in the rest of Eurasia. Around 2900 BCE, the first cities were founded on the island including Atalantë, Avalon, Dinas Ffaraon, Baltia, Meropis, Norumbega, and Themiscyra. By 2500 BCE, the first Kingdoms are formed including the Kingdom of Atalantë, the Kingdom of Meropis, and the Queendom of Themiscyra. Around the late 1300 BCE, the nation-states on the Atlantean Island collapsed, devolving into civil war. The Bronze Age Collapse would occur in 1200 BCE and groups of people from the Atlantean Island banded together into raiding bands of pirates, collectively known as the "Sea Peoples", began to raid the Mediterranean Sea and the collapsing states on the coasts, including Egypt and Mycenaean Greece, where they would capture some people and bring them back to their home island. By 900 BCE, the "Sea People", some nobility from Atalantë, and a small group of Mycenaean and Egyptian slaves would form a Kingdom of Atlantis, often just called Atlantis. By 743 BCE, they had reunited the entire island under their control, including the ancient city of Atalantë, which was restored and rebuilding into the legendary city that is mentioned in Herodotus' Atlantis.
Atlantis would conquer across the Mediterranean Sea, until they suffered from both a defeat by the Delian League in 461 BCE. In 444 BCE, an earthquake would occur in the ocean somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean, which would cause a massive tsunami to crash into the Island of Atlantis, which sent the entire Kingdom to be washed beneath the waves. Some small cities would survive on the highest parts of the island, what is now the Atlantean Archipelago. While the colonists on the mainland would eventually be assimilated into the surrounding tribes, kingdoms, and city-states, these Atlantians would survive on the island chain, forming a small island confederation that would last until they were conquered by Spanish in 1493, after they were fully rediscovered by Christopher Columbus. The island inhabitants would be dispersed away from their home islands, some ending up in the Spanish colonies in the America, others in Spanish African colonies. The Atlantean colony of Opar, located in Western Africa, would remain a small local power before being "rediscovered" by British Explorer Earl John Clayton Greystoke in 1888.
Due to a large influence of the Mycenaean and Egyptian Slaves brought from their homelands, the religion of the Atlantian people is a mixture of Atleantean, Mycenaean, and Egyptian religions. The religion's main four deities are Poseidon, god of the sea who eventually would become a mythical founder of the city, the war goddess Appollymi, and Thoth, the Egyptian god of writing and knowledge, and a trio of lesser deities that includes Dagon, a corruption of the Mesopotamian fertility god into a deep water god, Mother Hyrda, a multiheaded serpent headed goddess that is said to hunt in the flooded remains of the Kingdom of Atlantis who serves as the goddess of storms, and Cthulhu, a dragon-squid like being that serves as the god of nightmares. During the 1880s, some scholars attempted to rebuild an Atlantean culture that was derived from sources that originated in the city of Opar and the Atlantean Archipelago. By 1900, a small movement of Atlantian descendants began to push for more rights, especially to practice their traditional religion. To this end, a flag was made to unify the movement.
Atlantean Flag.png

The red on the flag represents the tsunami that sunk Atlantis and the blood of those lost, the stars represent the islands that survived the catastrophic event, and the yellow represents a bright future and reunification of the Atlantian peoples around the world.
The movement would gain traction throughout the 20th century, leading to Spain creating the autonomous republic of Atlántis in 1984 which would use the Atlantian diaspora flag. A large amount of Atlantian decedents would return to the island and create an Atlantian Renaissance, with novels, plays, poems, music, paintings, films, and a few cartoons being created from 1984-2012.
While some would historically attribute their survival of the islands during the Flooding of Atlantis to the gods of Atlantis, some modern theorists belief that extraterrestrials saved the few islands, hence why the flags stars seem to show a triangular UFO with a tractor beam pulling seven stars from the sea. This theory is regarded as nonsense by Atlántian historians.

The winner of Challenge № 222 is... drum roll... @UrbanNight - with a resounding 57% of the votes! Congratulations. We look forward to whatever you come up with for the next challenge.

Link to Guide for Winners of the Weekly Flag Challenge
Oh, wow!
Thanks to everyone who voted! And extra thanks to @The Professor and @Born in the USSA for helping me get an entry that I was satisfied with.
I didn't expect my first entry for a long time to actually win.
Unlike the last time I won, I haven't actually thought of anything while the vote was running.
If I can't think of anything by tomorrow, I'll pick one of the ideas posted in the last few pages of discussion.

As I haven't been able to think of anything, I've used @Petike's suggestion from a few pages back, so as not to drag the waiting out any longer

Flag Challenge 223: Flagworld

"We spared no expense ! Boy, do we have a vacation for you !"

Create a corporate flag for a Michael Crighton style futuristic theme park, in one of the three possible variations:
a.) a historically inspired theme park, focusing on a particular historical period and populated by life-like robots
b.) a theme park populated by prehistoric fauna brought back to life via DNA recovery and genetic engineering
c) a theme park populated by collected or captured alien fauna and flora

Submissions Open: Now
Submissions Close: 22:00 GMT 7th May

I'm getting a bit concerned at the lack of entries.
Do you want to extend the deadline by another week? Or should I pick another idea?

I'm getting a bit concerned at the lack of entries.
Do you want to extend the deadline by another week? Or should I pick another idea?
I got nothing. Corporations usually have tacky symbols, often initials, for flags, primarily since their goal is consumer awareness. Not sure what I can do for a Westworld-style flag besides making it just another ad. You should probably use another idea, or modify it to represent a fictional country portrayed in said theme park.

Last edited:
If we haven't gotten any entries by the deadline tonight, then I'll pick a new idea.

If there is only one entry, then I'll extend the deadline to 11th May.

If there are two entries, then we proceed with the voting round.

There's no point in me not being transparent about the decisions I'm making.

EastWar resort flag.png

EastWar

Due to the tightening robotics legislation of many countries worldwide, by the early 21st century, RUR Corp finds itself in a position of weakness and growing public scrutiny. Newly uncovered secret archives, hinting there was a possibility of a robot revolt early in the company's history, or much later records of strange events at the company (referred to cryptically as the "1983 Incident" and "1994 Emergency"), have fueled a growing distrust for the traditional image of Rossum's Universal Robots.

Unable to seek enough willing investors in traditional fields, the new management established in RUR during the alternate 1990s has focused on shedding the old image of the company and making strides into the entertainment industry. The apex of these efforts has been the creation of a special travel and resorts subsidiary. The idea ? Create life-like, simulationist theme parks, populated by animal and human RURs, and entice hard-paying, eager visitors with a vacation unlike any other.

The countries of the Visegrad Union were targeted for this excrutiatingly ambitious entertainment venture due to tax break leniency of their then governments, a policy already criticised by many. A particular territory was chosen and lent to the Corporation by the VU for several decades, with three theme parks – or resorts – beginning construction soon afterward. This was a move that attracted plenty of criticism from many VU citizens. Coupled with later protests and criticism by local branches of robot-rights organisations, citing the history of RUR and its suspicious past lobbying and activities, the birth of the resorts would be anything but easy. However, the VU governments and RUR Corp were adamant that all safety precautions are being taken to ensure the safety and transparency of the resorts. Regardless of the heated politics surrounding the project, the three resorts were eventually completed.

EastWar, HussiteWar and With Fire and Sword await any and all visitors who can afford it.

Premiering in the early 2000s, EastWar is a science fiction detective thriller TV series produced in the Visegrad Union. A direct spiritual sequel to Karel Čapek's 1920 landmark science fiction play, R. U. R., the series is set in an alternate present, where a surviving Rossum's Universal Robots corporation has turned its focus towards the entertainment industry. Creating three different historical theme park resorts, populated by life-like robot humans and animals, the RUR corporation intends to rebrand its image in the public eye, despite criticisms of building expensive spectacles often revolving around combat and violence, rather than just adventure and intrigue. While on a stay at the EastWar resort with his girlfriend, a young investigative journalist comes across a bizarre death of a guest. Though murder is ruled out, particularly by the nervous park administration, the journalist can't leave well enough alone. Soon, the young couple are embroiled in far-reaching events that take them on a perilous adventure through all three resorts, as part of their search for the chilling truth...

The fictional EastWar resort of the series, one of three, is rooted in the highly popular central European genre of Easterns. Somewhat inspired by American Westerns and based on the tumultous events of WWI in Austria-Hungary and eastern Europe and the subsequent Disunion Wars of the early 1920s, the Eastern genre enjoyed decades of success, starting with its first great media boom after the second world war. After a renaissance of the genre led by new creators in the 1960s and 1970s, the genre had also garnered deeper critical appreciation, outside of mainstream success. By the mid-to-late 1990s, science fiction Easterns had gained in popularity as a concept, with the likes of Visegrad Space Guard 2215: Terra Nova, a successful and inventive spinoff of the long-running VSG space opera franchise. Sensing the time was ripe to introduce a brand new science fiction property in the same broad subgenre, EastWar was co-created and written by Křyštof Čapek, Czech script writer and great-grand-nephew of Karel Čapek, and Martin Križanovský, respected Slovak speculative fiction writer. Pitched to one of VU private networks that eventually greenlit the unusual concept, the series became a surprise TV hit of the 2000s.

----

All set in my Sparrow Avengers ATL setting. If Westworld was set in a Russian Civil War or warlord China style setting, but in central and eastern Europe, and with neo-Western stylistic elements. Think "Sergio Leone and Sam Peckinpah teaming up to do a WWI eastern front film" and there you go. ;) Easterns are an actual OTL genre, though a lot more niche than they are in my ATL, where they've become a common literary, film and TV genre, especially in the Visegrad Union and some neighbouring east European states.

Last edited:
If we haven't gotten any entries by the deadline tonight, then I'll pick a new idea.

If there is only one entry, then I'll extend the deadline to 11th May.

If there are two entries, then we proceed with the voting round.

There's no point in me not being transparent about the decisions I'm making.
Logo is sorted. I would like to see if I can fit into a specific resort flag as per the challenge but won't be until tomorrow. Will that be okay? I can post the idea itself if that helps.

Logo is sorted. I would like to see if I can fit into a specific resort flag as per the challenge but won't be until tomorrow. Will that be okay? I can post the idea itself if that helps.
That's fine. We'll go by the second option and extend the deadline to 11th May, just in case anyone else has inspiration strike.

Gennaro Delos International (GDi) is a company of extraordinary renown dedicated to the application of the latest technology in order to educate and entertain. From its founding in 1985 as a merger between cybernetics company Delos [1] and biotech trader Gennaro Incorporated [2] it hit the jackpot by acquiring genetics prodigy Arnold Wu, later Director of Research and CEO, and providing him the resources for his ideas. It was under Wu's influence that focused the growing company onto the toy and pet market, creating safe robots and engineered animals, albeit also benefiting the agricultural industry through automation and improved yields as a sideline.

Originally just a provider for safari and theme parks it was soon able to develop its own following the acquisition in 1996 of the entire Costa Rican island Isla Nublar [3] which enabled expansion close to one of its RnD sites. In just a few years the famous Dinosaur Island resort opened to acclaim. A marvellous blend of recreated dinosaurs both animatronic and biological, a leisure resort, and amusement parks queues for even partial access tickets became legendary.

The success of the resort enabled expansion to other more esoteric "edutainment" theme parks, as some called them, such as the Medieval Historical Park and Wild West Historical Park. The company even teamed up with famous director Steven Spielberg providing robots and animals to enhance his Lord of the Rings epic movie series.

Where this company goes next only time will tell...

The flag for Dinosaur Island featuring the latest version of the GDi logo
Dinosaur Island GDiR.png

[1] Yes that firm from that famous SF Western. I've delayed its advancements a little though.
[2] I figure he had some knowledge of the tech in order to represent and liaise with Hammond's concerned investors. In TTL he's tech savvier and starts out trading biotech instead.
[3] With inGen dead in the water it's prime real estate for somebody!

Last edited: