Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

This is the weekly flag challenge, not the 3.5 century flag challenge.

oh great, now people are complaining I'm giving them TOO much time for their entry. finding the right design itself can take upward of a century you know......

(its actualy professional deformation, time is written that way in our logs and reports. To be precise, its meant to be greenwich mean time)

Last edited:
RHINELAND REPUBLIC (Rheinische Republik)

The republic had a shaky start. Its founding was chiefly due to the efforts of the French and Belgians. It was formed mainly from areas under French occupation1 following the Great War2, the declaration coming in October 1923. It might have collapsed within a year or so if it were not for the communist coup3 in the Weimar Republic4 which rallied many Rhinelanders behind the fledging republic, protected not only by the French but also the British, the latter having hitherto been decidedly lukewarm towards the new state. With its heavy industries becoming reconstructed with the support of the French and British and the waiving of reparations5 set under the Treaty of Versailles6, the republic grew in strength and became an important member of the anti-communist grouping known as the Dunkirk Pact7.

Following the European War of 1943-46, the Rhineland Republic gained areas of the former German Soviet Republic8 but became a major force in the reconstruction of the North German Republic9 and the restored Kingdom of Bavaria10. It was also a founder member of the European Confederation11 in 1990.

[Extract from “A Young Person’s History of Europe in the 20th Century”, Alexander de Pfeffel Johnson, St. Andrews Press, 2005.]

FLAG OF THE PRESIDENT

aer7f6.png

FLAG OF THE PREMIER

deaef5.png

FLAG OF THE CHIEF OF THE ARMED FORCES

11uwb60.png

also might need to extend the contest a few days judging by theres only one entry...im working on mine but gimps being a bitch with the text

also might need to extend the contest a few days judging by theres only one entry...im working on mine but gimps being a bitch with the text

have made it a forthnightly challenge. hope you and the professor can do something in the meantime other he'll get the prize by default.

have made it a forthnightly challenge. hope you and the professor can do something in the meantime other he'll get the prize by default.

hoping to get mine done by later today....just didnt realise how shitty gimp can be with creating curved text, plus had to rethink a couple of designs to make them more otl but still different enough

As far as I can tell, the Confederates never got around to designing ministerial flags, so I did for them - I think this fits in your guidelines.

Flag of the President of the Confederate States:
ConfederatePresidentialFlag-1.png

Flag of the Vice-President of the Confederate States:
ConfederateVice-PresidentialFlag-1.png

Flag of the Secretary of the Navy of the Confederate States:
ConfederateSecretaryoftheNavy-1.png

Last edited:
The UN managed Free Territory of Trieste was envisaged as being a temporary entity following the end of the Second World War, with its future status likely to be division between Italy and Yugolslavia. But as negotiations and inconclusive plebiscites dragged on, Italy and Yugoslavia reluctantly agreed to an independent FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF TRIESTE, with the proviso that a UN managed plebiscite on its future be held every 25 years.

Standard of the President of the Republic
34qth52.png

Flag of the Army Chief Commander
eknwqu.png

Flag of the High Admiral of the Navy
wcftys.png

As far as I can tell, the Confederates never got around to designing ministerial flags, so I did for them - I think this fits in your guidelines.

Flag of the President of the Confederate States:

Flag of the Vice-President of the Confederate States:

Flag of the Secretary of the Navy of the Confederate States:

If I were you, I'd put a fimibriation around the stars as they look odd against the white bars.

*I did take some liberties, but i kept everything as realistic as possible given the difference in government, plus its symbolism and history*

A small sampling of flags taken from the book " Flags of the United States of America, 1784 - 2012 "

Monarchical Standard of the United States of America from 1979:

MOTUSA.png

Presidential Ensign from 1979:

tpoc.png

Flag of the former position of Governor of the Commonwealth of the Philippines from 1935 - 1946:

1000px-US_Presidential_Color_Army_1912svg.png

Last edited:
*I did take some liberties, but i kept everything as realistic as possible given the difference in government, plus its symbolism and history*

A small sampling of flags taken from the book " Flags of the United States of America, 1784 - 2012 "

Monarchical Standard of the United States of America from 1979:

Is the monarch linked to the portuguese royal house ?

Is the monarch linked to the portuguese royal house ?

yes, its to do with the last direct Jackson being a women and America having the same kind of result that Victorian Britain did...that the heirs take the name of their father (one of the Brazilian Braganzas), but instead of simply being Braganza (with the Brazilian and Portuguese houses still being chucked out here and both now republics) they opted to join the two, forming the Jackson-Braganzan line (the first Jackson having hailed from New York, hereby they had/have the sun and stripes as their crest)

Last edited:
The Kingdom of Bora Bora comprises a group of islands to the west of Tahiti. It was an independent kingdom until 1888 when its last Queen, Teriimaevarua III, was forced to abdicate by the French who annexed the island as a colony. During World War 2 it was in effect occupied by the US and the large number of Americans who remained (or returned) after that war are often said to be behind the push for a return to independence, which came in 1957 when the Republic of Bora Bora was proclaimed. The republic was transformed into a kingdom in 1977 when Larry Timothy became King Larrybora I.

Bora Bora has become known as the Hippy Islands, due to its laid back style, legalisation of cannabis and nude beaches.

1z3zbpk.jpg

Minister of Culture
1h808l.jpg

Minister of Tourism
20tp2bl.jpg

Minister of Surfing
243fh1e.jpg

(Ah, I was much younger then)