Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

I'm baffled. What exactly should we develop in this theme ?

i kinda screwed up what i meant x3

in all the fairytales (and their equiviliants) theres always a kingdom or realm featured....and i was thinking what those realms would look like and flags theyd have if they were in the real world....like the kingdom mentioned in one fairytale could be based where britian is, another in germany, russia, etc....every culture has fairytales or mythos like them, im not just thinking the grimm stories

in all the fairytales (and their equiviliants) theres always a kingdom or realm featured....and i was thinking what those realms would look like and flags theyd have if they were in the real world....like the kingdom mentioned in one fairytale could be based where britian is, another in germany, russia, etc....every culture has fairytales or mythos like them, im not just thinking the grimm stories

I see.

OK, I'll set up the poll in a few minutes.

The WFC now has a page fully separate of the main flag challenges page:
http://wiki.alternatehistory.com/doku.php/alternate_history/weekly_flag_challenge

I'm nearly done with the archiving of all the previous rounds. Believe me, I'll crack open a bottle of something when I finish. It has taken me weeks and weeks to compile all that stuff. :D *wipes sweat off brow*

As a prize we're thinking of making you a flag :p

Well done though - must have taken hours of searches!
Think I may do a quick summary of how many wins we've all had :cool:

As a prize we're thinking of making you a flag :p

No need for that. I've already got one:

vlajkamolnrovejrepublik.png

Well done though - must have taken hours of searches ! Think I may do a quick summary of how many wins we've all had :cool:

Be my guest.

No need for that. I've already got one:

I'm guessing your real name begins with M?

That is so similar to my Crimean flag...
8069143.png

----

Now, the middle three choices on the poll are essentially the same thing: "Design a flag for an existing fictional country." If I may humbly tip the apple cart, I suggest merging those three options.

I'll get the ball rolling, then.

Following the Treaty of Utrecht, the French royal government reorganises its colonial holdings, and institutes flags which clearly identify both the Viceroyalty and Province of the bearer. The design is simple: the hoist third is the lilies on white of the Royal government, while the fly two thirds shows the regimental banner of the colony in question. Viceroyalties additionally bear the arms of the House of Bourbon on the regimental colour.

The Regimental flags are structured to show allegiance. The hoist colour represents the Viceroyalty, while the fly colour is unique to the Province within the Viceroyalty. The capital Province will always have matching fly and hoist.

Examples of Viceregal flags:

Vice-royauté de Nouvelle-France (New France):

Vice-royaute%20de%20Nouvelle-France_zps89c083c6.png

Vice-royauté des Antilles (Caribbean):

Vice-royaute%20des%20Antilles_zps2ba6e924.png

Examples of provincial flags :

Province des Indes orientales du Sud (South India):

Province%20des%20Indes%20orientales%20du%20Sud_zps59216d5b.png

Province des Indes orientales du Nord (North India):

Province%20des%20Indes%20orientales%20du%20Nord_zpsd63fd1e8.png

Very nice. :) At least there's interest. Here's hoping there will be other contributions as well.

Last edited:
Wow, I haven't entered a contest in a really, really, really long time, so here goes nothing.

The Swedish keep Wismar and coastal Ingria, don't loose the Gold Coast to the Danish, make gains in the Caribbean, buy the Sulu archipelago and parts of Mindanao and Borneo, and gain Moheli after World War II. During the 1950s, they reform their colonies, including the flags. They introduce a simple, secular flag with a Swedish blue background and a yellow strip, rather than a cross, going through the hoist, and a strip of a color representing the colony on the opposite side of the flag.

The population of each colony voted for the colony's color in 1952. Wismar chose a light gray to represent the fish on their coat of arms. Ingria chose red, so that red, yellow and blue, the three colors of the Ingrian flag, would be visible on the Swedish Ingria's flag. The Gold Coast chose black, inspired by neighboring Ghana's "black stars". The Swedish West Indies chose green, for the many forests that existed on the three islands of the Swedish West Indies. The Swedish East Indies chose an eggplant color, the same as the one on the former Sulu Sultanate. Finally, Moheli chose the gold on the Mohelian island's flag.

nOUBW.png

do the flags have to be based on otl colonies?...cos if we can go beyond the boundries of the earth might be easier to figure new templates, cos its pretty dam hard to figure out how some nations wouldve done things differently given the limited amount of them there are (if we have to stick to historic colonisers)

do the flags have to be based on otl colonies?...cos if we can go beyond the boundries of the earth might be easier to figure new templates, cos its pretty dam hard to figure out how some nations wouldve done things differently given the limited amount of them there are (if we have to stick to historic colonisers)

Ah, I misunderstood the meaning of "historic colonizer" and had already started a line of flags for Massachusetts' colonies. :eek:

Yes, even if you understand "colonizer" fairly broadly, there is a fairly limited pool, but it's not tiny, either. And you're not limited to the OTL flags of the colonizers.

Understanding colonies in the most conventional sense, I can think of: Britain, England, Scotland, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Genoa, Venice, Netherlands, Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Russia, Courland, Prussia, Germany, US, Japan, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Chile. Expanding the definition and looking at smaller or earlier colonies, you might add: China (they had an official tributary in Sri Lanka), Costa Rica (Isla del Coco), Argentina (failed colonization of the Malvinas), Carthage, Rome, any of several Greek cities or leagues, Turkey (depending on how you view North Cyprus), any of the old Indonesian kingdoms, and probably several more. I don't think the challenge is as limited as all that.

It doesn't say OTL colonies, just OTL colonial powers (yes, even obscure ones, like Scotland, Courland, Denmark, etc.).

Here's my entry then (I hope alt-Denmarks are allowed!):

Dania
By 1000 the Danish Kingdoms of Gothenland, Scaneland, Sealand, and Jutland, had been unified and redivided enough times that Haricnut's accession to each crown was not considered unique; his expansion to include the Danish colony-kingdoms of Vickenland, Yorwick, and the Norwegian lands, was also considered a one off and it was expected his empire would die with him. Unusually however this empire was passed down intact to Erik I (regnal numbering traditionally starts here) also known as Happy Axe for his boistrous personal executions of his enemies. Though in his later years the Norwegian Kingdoms, Vickenland, and Yorwick were lost, Erik passed on the union known as Dania or Danerike and tradition holds that the first known banner consisted of a crown surrounded by 4 sealeaves...
..folkore recounts that King Harald III sorely beset at Rygen implored God for a sign to continue battle and down from the sky drifted the Dannebrog formed from the tatters of the old Royal Banner smeared with bloody cross. Taking this as his new standard Harald fought on, maintained his throne, and added the West Wendish March to his Kingdom.

Flag of the Danian Colonies
The Colonial Flags of Dania are based upon that of former Danian Mariana.
In order to signify Danian possession the local Prince Governor added the Danian flag to the hoist of the Marianan Standard.
On ascending the throne following his brother's death, Erik VI continued with this them for his colonial possessions.

Danian Colonies.png

Last edited: