Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

Only one set is allowed. That set can include more than one flag though. I believed I had made that clear in the challenge post.

It is true that we've had the occasional flag set or two in the best. I guess I'll just include the naval jack as well as the war ensign.

IMPERIAL AIRSHIP FORCE

The Force was established in 1911, when units formerly under the control of the Imperial Army and Imperial Navy were combined into a separate wing of the armed forces. Its founding coincided with the coronation of Emperor Victor II, when the Emperor was ferried between London and Berlin in HIMA Helgoland for the dual ceremonies.

Shown here is the flag awarded to the IAF in 1915. It features a representation of a Class IVB Airdreadnought superimposed upon the flag of the Imperial Union – a fleet of seven of such vessels having completed the first air circumnavigation of the globe in 1914.

[FONT=&quot]
xtty.jpg
[/FONT]

ooky, here's my set. The first four are command flags flown from relevant headquarters. The smaller flags are unit colours. The laters' quarters colours varries depending on the branch the unit belongs to (only a few examples are given) and the name of the unit is embroided on the white band of the obverse while the reverse has the battle honnours of the unit (some carried over the traditions of their units as part of the canadian army).

rep-du-quebec.png

Last edited:
The Andorra-Navarren Union

they started out as a medieval banner set of flags of a union between a surviving kingdom of navarre and andorra, but went really republican about halfway through so its now a union set of flags..whether their still a monarchy, republic or dictatorship is really anyones guess at this point, but fits nicely for the challenge settings x3

Andorra-NavarrenUnion.png

Only one set is allowed. That set can include more than one flag though. I believed I had made that clear in the challenge post.

Dangit :(
I went by your first part ("Your challenge is to design a military flag of an Alternate History nation") due to the ambiguous plural in the second.
Otherwise I would have completed the whole set while I had brief access to Photoshop.
Ah well, I don't mind losing to Quebec ;):p

Dangit :(
I went by your first part ("Your challenge is to design a military flag of an Alternate History nation") due to the ambiguous plural in the second.
Otherwise I would have completed the whole set while I had brief access to Photoshop.
Ah well, I don't mind losing to Quebec ;):p

A single flag is perfectly fine. You don't need more than one.

Can I post my two-flag set by midnight or is it already worthless ?

You have until this afternoon, at least.

OK, my entry:

A simple set. The War Ensign and Naval Ensign of the Grand Duchy of Lemuria (a mixed Euro-African-Malagasy constitutional monarchy located in the southern half of Madagascar and the Mascarene Islands).

grandduchyoflemuriaware.png

Both the war ensign and naval ensign share the same common basis, but have different iconography. Besides the two crossed flintlock muskets, the centre (green) field of the war ensign also includes the (demonstratably chipped and battered) blade of a traditional Madagascar polearm (it's a simple halberd of sorts).

More info on the country is available here and more info on its national flag and ducal standard can be seen here and here. (The flag and standard are of course not entries for this round, I'm adding links to them just in case anyone would be interested in them.)

OK, my entry:

A simple set. The War Ensign and Naval Ensign of the Grand Duchy of Lemuria (a mixed Euro-African-Malagasy constitutional monarchy located in the southern half of Madagascar and the Mascarene Islands).

Those are some really nice muskets, do you mind sharing the source?

Oh well. I was going to add naval, air force and joint military command flags for Sudan. Not that it would have done much good against the high quality entries this week! Ahh, what the heck. Its not for a medal, but as a demonstration sport, here you are. :) And yes, that is not two, but THREE shades of blue on one flag. Not something I would normally do. I was going for the "designed by a committee" vibe. :eek:

Sudanese Flag Set.png

Last edited:
Oh well. I was going to add naval, air force and joint military command flags for Sudan. Not that it would have done much good against the high quality entries this week! Ahh, what the heck. Its not for a medal, but as a demonstration sport, here you are. :) And yes, that is not two, but THREE shades of blue on one flag. Not something I would normally do. I was going for the "designed by a committee" vibe. :eek:

It certainly has that.
My eyes still water at the white on yellow (perhaps orange would be better ;))