Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

FLAG CHALLENGE #215: Competition for Vinland

After the success of the Vinland Colony other nations were sure to follow its example. And the concept of property could easily spread over to the native tribes of this new land.

Your challenge: create a flag for a colony/nation that formed in the New World after a successful Vinland scenario.
  • Vinland can succeed any way you want, or you can leave why unaddressed
  • The flag must come from the Americas (except Greenland)
  • The flag can be from a colony, a former colony that won independence, or a Native American state, just as long as the flag was created before 1800
  • The flag cannot represent Vinland, Helluland, or Markland

Submissions Open: Now
Submissions Close: 12/29/2019, 11:00 AM EST
I assume we decide what Vinland, Helluland, and Markland, refer to?

New Nantain
Whilst the Vinland settlements were known to England before and after the Norman Conquest it took the accession of Flanders or Alsace dynasty to begin their involvement under Therry I FitzEmpress, son of Count Therry of Flanders, who succeeded his uncle William III the Lame.
Most of this was carried out by Breton sailors, and following the inclusion of Brittany into the "Flemish Empire" a small colony of Bretons was established near modern day Neve Naoned or New Nantes.
Despite the growth of both the English and Flemish speakers New Armorica still maintained a (roughly) Breton speaking population thanks to the Cornish trade route and today the New Nantain Region serves as its centre.
The flag of New Nantain commemorates both old Nantain and the Anglo-Dutch Empire by bearing a St Nazaire Cross [black voided cross upon black roundel] stylised into a compass rose and over an orange cross on white [a reverse of the early AD white cross on gold & red having faded to white on orange]. The orange cross was later voided itself to avoid confusion with the general Armorican Orange Cross on White.
new-nantaise2.png

New Nantain
Whilst the Vinland settlements were known to England before and after the Norman Conquest it took the accession of Flanders or Alsace dynasty to begin their involvement under Therry I FitzEmpress, son of Count Therry of Flanders, who succeeded his uncle William III the Lame.
Most of this was carried out by Breton sailors, and following the inclusion of Brittany into the "Flemish Empire" a small colony of Bretons was established near modern day Neve Naoned or New Nantes.
Despite the growth of both the English and Flemish speakers New Armorica still maintained a (roughly) Breton speaking population thanks to the Cornish trade route and today the New Nantain Region serves as its centre.
The flag of New Nantain commemorates both old Nantain and the Anglo-Dutch Empire by bearing a St Nazaire Cross [black voided cross upon black roundel] stylised into a compass rose and over an orange cross on white [a reverse of the early AD white cross on gold & red having faded to white on orange]. The orange cross was later voided itself to avoid confusion with the general Armorican Orange Cross on White.
View attachment 512472
Looks like @The Professor wins! Even if it was by default it is still a great flag!

@The Professor , one last minute challenger, coming right up!

The Wampanoag Confederacy

While the first Norse settlements in North America had been abandoned, Thorfinn Karlsefni and his followers refused to turn back. Instead, they went south and built a new city in southern vinland (alt name for North America). They had peace with the Natives, and introduced them to new technologies such as metal working and ship building, as well as the christian faith. When invaders came from across the sea, the Norse settlers fought alongside the tribes to expel the raiders for ever, burning the rival settlements and ships. After this event, they were welcomed into the confederacy as the Norse tribe. With iron weapons and sleek ships, the wampanoag carved an empire out of North Eastern Vinland that spanned from the Chesepiooc to the border of French controlled Quebec.
Fandom TL .png

The yellow beads that stretch across the banner represent tribal unity. The blue stripe at the bottom symbolize the ocean that borders the eastern edge of the confederacy. The raven represents the Norse tribe, whose knowledge allowed the Confederacy to dominate the region.

(I borrowed some inspiration from one of my timelines for this flag, I hope that's ok).

If it is not too late, here is my entry.
Wanted to have this by Saturday, but with the board down, I wasn't sure if the challenge would be extended.

Tír nAill or Hvítramannaland (also known as Annwn, Albania, Tír-na-nÓg, Avalon, or Hy-Brasil)

A partial abstract of a vexology file from the joint UN Bureau of Chronology and International Uchronic Science Foundation’s investigation of Social Impacts of Symbolism across Temporal and Paratemporal Human Cultures

Here we have the flag for the nation of Tír nAill located in the northeast sector of Continent V (OTL North America) found in paratemporality 12b:-13h:103hn (of the Scandi-Eire subsector), henceforth designated SE12b for brevity. This paratemporality has many cultural and mythical cross references with legends and mythologies of OTL…

…During the Vinland colonization of this Paratemporality’s Viking era UNBC chrononauts were able to determine that the myth of the “Great Ireland” or Hvítramannaland had a basis in fact for SE12b. Only in this case it was not early Irish settlers to Continent V, but a group of Continent V aborigines, denoted hence forth as Skræling*, that had a genetic mutation in the oculocutaneous albinism II (OCA2) gene, causing a form of albinism manifesting as low or no skin pigment and hair color of white, blond, strawberry blonde, and occasionally a stunted ginger. Chrononaut investigations have determined that the Norse colonizers assumed the Skræling of being Irish due to their skin and hair color, as well as their dress of full body coverings to protect their skin. Stories brought back by the Norse to Continent I (OTL Europe) mentioned the nation of Great Ireland. This would have the effect later on of several expeditions of Irish priests and settlers seeking out Hvítramannaland. While not numerous, the White Skræling would be found by Irish priests and converted to catholicism as lost lambs of the Papar who had left Subcontinent X (OTL Greenland). Those fisherman and settlers that reached Continent V would eventually intermarry with the White Skræling…

…as the culture of Tír nAill the main aspect of their religious life was slow identification of the Shawnee Great Spirit, Mishe Moneto, with the Christian God. The eventual identification of the Thunderbirds, called Nenimkee or Binesi in old ni’Shawnee, in their aspect as winged men with the angels of the Christian bible, helped to start the schism from the Catholic Church in Rome…

…The flag of Tír nAill has the traditional Cross and Wheel symbol of the Tír nAill Catholic Church. The wheel represents the breaking wheel that many Tír nAill people were executed upon by the Roman Catholic forces fighting this rebelling nation. The cross is that associated with St Patrika, not associated with St Patrick OTL. The blue top border represents the sky and heaven, while the green represents the earth and life…

*Genetic research by the UNBC would show the White Skræling to be of Shawnee people of Algonquian origin.

wheelcross.png

Last edited:
Sorry I wasn't able to enter. Travelling round Hogmanay gave me even less time than normal, so I couldn't convert the very rough idea in my head into anything concrete. I like[1] all the entries, so voting is ... tricky :) .

[1] and have 'Liked' them all too, for info since no-one else can see this now :rolleyes:

Kingdom of Bavaria

Between the 14th and 15th centuries, upper and lower Bavaria were repeatedly subdivided amongst different inheritors. After the division of 1392, the Four Duchies were created: Bavaria-Straubing, Bavaria-Landshut, Bavaria-Ingolstadt and Bavaria-Munich. These dukes often waged war against each other, but at some point during this period rather than fighting, an early tournament of Karnöffel became the deciding factor on the outcomes of disagreements within Bavaria. As Karnöffel is played in two teams of two, the two of the Dukes would play the pair of other Dukes.

After the conquest of Bavaria and the other German states by the Polish-Prussian Commonwealth the playing of Karnöffel for political decisions stopped in the late 18th century. It would not be until the commonwealth broke apart in the late 19th century that Bavaria would be a free nation again. The nostalgia for Bavarian history would reignite a passion for the game and its role in politics. The reinstituted monarchy would be based around four subdivisions with similar borders as during the Four Duchies era. Partners would be determined by democratic election by the citizenry.

Flag: The flag of the Kingdom of Bavaria would use the traditional lozenge white and blue pattern, with 21 lozenges on the flag. The top left lozenge is white, as is traditional, but is more centralized to the corner than in previous incarnations of the flag. Depending upon which power block held power for the next four year, their associated card suite would be placed at the center. The partner’s suit would be placed at the top in the upside-down order. The center of the symbol would have the silhouettes of the three subservient houses’ symbols in a line.
For example: here we have the current the Duchy of Bavaria-Ingolstadt (bell) situated in the center of the flag, with Duchy Bavaria-Munich at the top flipped upside down signifying there secondary status. Across the mid-point of the bell are the silhouettes of the other duchies.
bavbell.png