Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Transparent Blue, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Xanthoc Destroyer of Canada

Republic of Osteuropa
    Osteuropäisch Republik
    Kelet-európai Köztársaság

PruHun5.svg.png

After the refusal by the Grand Alliance and, more specifically, the Hapsburgs, to the financial and territorial concessions demanded by Federick I, Prussia would initially remain neutral in the War of the Spanish Succession. That is, of course, until the War of Hungarian Freedom opened itself as a theatre. Eager to take the lands previous demanded and more, as well as seeing the chance to finally snuff out the Hapsburgs, the Prussians would begin to aid the Hungarian rebels, eventually leading to the creation of the Free Kingdom of Hungary under King Francis I of the House of Rákóczy. Despite the eventual victory of the Grand Alliance, most of the losses Austria suffered remained unreveresed due to the pyhrric nature of the negotiations, including the independence of Hungary, though some concessions were made in terms of the western border. However, in only a few years after independence, Hungary began to collapse from debt, having been required to pay war reparations that soon become too much as the Hungarian economy declined from the large outbreak of disease across the Kingdom, likely caused by the infections of returning, wounded soldiers. To make matters worse, Francis I fell ill, dying with little more than seven years of reign. His son Leopold, who would become Francis II in order to avoid any association with the past Leopold of House Hapsburg, was looked down on, and his younger brother Joseph was far more favored by the nobility and courts. His position tenuous, Leopold was approached by Frederick I of Prussia to marry his daughter Wilhelmina, who, after the death of Prince Frederick August and the denouncement of Princess Luise, was one of the only heirs to the throne Frederick had, in exchange for economic relief.

At first, the two nations were merely in personal union, under King Francis II and Queen Wilhelmina respectively. However, the birth of their son Frederick, with all other siblings being stillborn, led to the official unification of the Kingdoms a generation later. The Kingdom of Prussia-Hungary, briefly the Prusso-Hungarian Empire, while ultimately shortlived, was admittedly successful under the House of Hohenzollern-Rákóczy, securing custody over the majority of Poland in the Partition, as well as taking Wallachia from the Ottomans in their first collaboration with the Kingdom of Austria, later officially the Empire of Germany when the remaining Hapsburgs moved to centralize the Holy Roman Empire (with limited success) following their lost of most of their easternmost lands. However, when the French Republican Empire began to spread its wings, moving across the continent under the swift command of Supreme Consul Napoleon I, revolutionary fervor began to take root in the multi-ethnic state. Though much of the inherent nationalism was suppressed, the ideals of democratic and republican rule were not, and as famine struck the Prusso-Hungarian Empire, coupled with the empty coffers from their expensive expansionist wars, revolution struck like lightning.

The formation of the Republic of Osteuropa, so called because of the ownership of much the continent west of Russia and east of Germany, including ownership of much of the Balkans with the decline of the Ottomans, was one of blood, sacrifice, and violence. The flag is not technically official, with only a tricolor being used by the government, but the vast majority of military units and townships used the variant of the tricolor defaced by the words "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE", either in German, Hungarian, or both, as the two have become the primary lingua franca for the entire Republic and the Empire before it.. The green is taken from the coat of arms of Hungary, representing both the Magyar and all 'Southern peoples' of the Republic. The blue is taken from the uniforms worn by Prussian soldiers, who came to symbolize the revolution in the north as common men in service led most of the take over, the rebelling army being the ones to take Berlin and depose Francis III. This blue now represents the Prussians (who have increasingly begun to identify themselves as separate from other types of German peoples) and all other 'Northern peoples' of the Republic, with white representing peace, cooperation, and the purity of the revolution.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  2. FlyingParafin Plays too much Civ 5

3. FlyingParafin Plays too much Civ 5

Looks like Stuyvesant won . Good job on the flag and over to you for the next contest. :)

4. Mirror B. F. M.

Confoederatio Baltica
    Baltische Eidgenossenschaft
    Balti Konföderatsioon
    Baltijas Konfederācija
    Baltijos Konfederacija

The Baltic Confederation was cobbled together as one of the compromises concerning the areas of Brest-Litovsk treaty, after the German Empire had fought the Allies to a stalemate and when containing the Soviet Russia became the first priority. Its territories included most of the Estonian and Latvian territories, with some Lithuanian territories around Memel and Russian territories around Pleskau.

Its flag, nicknamed Schild und Schwert (The Shield and the Sword) is based on the symbols of Livonian Brothers of the Sword and one of the very few non-rectangular flags in the world.

[​IMG]

5. FlyingParafin Plays too much Civ 5

Did you post this in the wrong thread? There's no challenge yet.

6. Mirror B. F. M.

7. The Professor Pontif of the Guild

8. The Professor Pontif of the Guild

The Kingdom of Anglia
    The Flag features the Eye of Providence and white tails to signify angelic protection of the Kingdom

Anglia3.png

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    Rarayn likes this.
  9. FlyingParafin Plays too much Civ 5

Oh ok, my bad. Can someone post the challenge in here as well?

10. Stuyvesant C H A N G E Donor

11. Stuyvesant C H A N G E Donor

Btw, here's an edited flag for you Professor:

Anglia.png

12. The Professor Pontif of the Guild

Thank you kindly! Transparencies annoying me at present *note to self: buy laptop!*

13. FlyingParafin Plays too much Civ 5

[​IMG]
    Here's a Heraldic Style US Flag I made. Maybe it can be used in a timeline where Europeans reach the Americas earlier than in OTL.

PachPachis and 22iron thunder like this.
  14. Xanthoc Destroyer of Canada

The Japanese Republic
    日本の共和国及びの状態

630px-Flag_of_Allied_Occupied_Japan.svg.png

Officially the Republic and Nation of Japan, the Japanese Republic was formed from the occupied islands of the Japanese Empire. After the failure of the Manhattan Project, the United States and the Allied Powers would begin a bloody and brutal campaign to invade and pacify Japan, finally succeeding in 1948. Under constant watch, the culture of the Home Islands was transformed, and the Allied Powers made sure that Imperialism was stomped out forever from the Japanese psyche. For a time, the blue-red ensign, officially the flag of the Allied Occupied Territory of Japan, became the official flag of the Republic. As greater autonomy to the American puppet state was ceded, eventually the Hinomaru, a symbol of the Japanese people, was added to the flag, representing the transition of Japan from its bloody past to a bright new future, the sun rising ever higher. The Japanese Republic is ruled by the President and the Republic Diet, with the Supreme Commander of the Home Islands (formerly the Supreme Commander of the Allied Occupation of Japan) having veto ability and the power to declare martial law. Typically a 'non-biased third party' (read: foreigner), in recent times the SCHI (often referred to colloquially as the Shogun by many Japanese) has since been chosen from the upper ranks of the Japanese Volunteer Defense Force, whose joint operations with the American military ensure that only those with no nationalistic or dictatorial aspirations are ever granted the rank.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  15. The Professor Pontif of the Guild

Intriguing. Was there a Soviet People's Republic in the North also?

16. Xanthoc Destroyer of Canada

The Ainu SSR that owns Sahkalin and Hokkaido, which is part of the Soviet Union directly. Plus, with American focus being on Japan, all of Korea fell to the Soviets. However, NATO used Hong Kong and Macau as focal points to prop up a southern Republic of China, while everything North of the Yangtze River falling to the Communists. Tibet also broke away, moving towards the Indian-led neutrality sphere. The Japanese also still own Taiwan, if only as a place to anchor the US-Japanese Joint Defense Fleet that keeps Red China at bay.

17. Xanthoc Destroyer of Canada

It seems I've won! Well, first I'd like to thank the academy, my parents, my loving girlfriend, and of course, the ̯̜̮͙͌ͪ̌D̯a̋R̼͊͗̔̐k̩͂ͮ͂̈ ͓̝̌̐ͭ̽̐ͭ̊O͙͍͛͒n͎̤̮͂̊̈ͭ̀̀ͬE̲̤̖̞̯̋̈́̒̉͋͊̈ ͮ̉̊̈̏̚l̖̤̆͊͑ͩÔ̪̮͛̋n̖͐̾ͅG̻̹̥̑ͮ̎̇̚ ̝̈m̮͍̂͛͒ͤͫ̔Ả̦͇̱̘̅ͫͅy̠͌ ̠̠̭̥̼̫̦̒ͭ͒Hǐ͛̉̽͂ͤS̲̠̞͖̫ͬ ̳̗̘͍̯͖́ͣͩv̮̰̳̩͕͙̭̐ͨ͌̎I̒̄l̯̖̝̥̗͙͋ͣ̍̊̚E̪̻̦ ̣͉͚̳̗̥̂̒̂̔ͧ̊̎ͅs̮͓ͯ̄̎͑̽̅͗H̤͓̞̤̍̑ͥ͊̑ͬ̋a̙͔̫̖͗̀ͦͪ̆ͨ̇Ḋ̅̆͌͐ͦo̲̤̤͔̖͖ͣ͂ͤͅW͎͕͔̟̪̬͐ ̋͗r͍͕̻͌ͤ̓͗̅U̜̩̫̓̊̾̋ḽ͙͚͇̯̜̥ͦ́͗́̊E̮̹͗̿̈́̅͂ ͈̣͎̬̦̳̤͂̉̓t̰̩̦͕̣͍̟͆͋H̼ͯͦͤ̌ͣḯ̳͓̻̜̞̠̬ͤͨ̉S͈̮̯͕̦̎ͭ̑͐ͥ͊͋ ̫̬̠͍̣́ͮͪr͔̪̠̘͚̩̓ͭ̆̒̔̓͆E̳͇͒̒̈́a͛ͫ̒̒ͤḶ̗͎̫̙m̪̯̥̞̼͚̋̑͐
    *Ahem*
    Anyways, here's the next challenge!

PachPachis likes this.
  18. The Professor Pontif of the Guild

Interesting Challenge.
    Nothing in mind at present but hopefully have something next week to enter

19. Mirror B. F. M.

Yeah, this one is definitely pushing the envelope.

20. Xanthoc Destroyer of Canada

I sort of intended it to be difficult and out there. It makes more of a challenge of design and aesthetic, as well as imagination (because the back story for a flag is what gives it meaning), than that of rule of cool or favorites. If someone makes a decent flag for a country you like, say Prussia or a continuing CSA, even if there is a better quality and better designed one in the poll, that's the one that'll likely get your vote.

So I wanted to make a challenge where it's purely a game of who can make the best looking and meaningful flag, as well as removing any boundaries of traditional modern vexillology with the alien theme.

I do have a secondary challenge if everyone really thinks this is too vague and/or pushing the creative ability of the forum too far

The Professor likes this.