Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

The House of Este, prominent in Italy until it was unified, had a white eagle on blue as their coat of arms. Perhaps that's the connection? :)

I'm going to keep accepting entries for roughly 8 more hours before putting up the poll. There's quite a few entries already, but if anyone has any last minute ideas, now is your last chance to submit them!

Marc Pasquin has won flag challenge 129!
An alternate Chad flag using elements from its Coat of Arms.

IPO3s6q.png

huzzah ! Somehow inspired by the previous challenge I give you:

--------------------------------
FLAG CHALLENGE № 130: Hold the Cross on High.

Picking a country that has, OTL, a flag with a different design, you must create a national flag with a cross as its main charge. The cross can be of any type (latin, saltire, potency, etc...) and minor charges can be included if wanted.

Submissions Open: Now
Submissions Close: 09:00 sydney time, 2 june 2015
Voting Opens: 2 june 2015
Voting Closes: 9 june 2015

Coming in early at the one-hour mark, here's something I slapped together.

yXFeVsI.png

The Flag of Macedonia.

Macedonia's flag was inspired by several sources. The golden border resembles the flag of another former Yugoslav republic, Montenegro. The Macedonian Cross represents the country and the Orthodox Church. Red, white, and blue are the pan-Slavic colours and the colours of the Yugoslav flag, while blue and white are the colours of Greece, where the name Macedonia originated.

Isn't the deadline kind of far off? Normally these only last one week, not two.

Anyway, here's my entry: a flag of Serbia derived from the cross on the Serbian coat of arms.

F3I8pYC.png

challenges often seem to face a "oh crap, 12 hours left and only one entry finished and sent" problem so I thought I'd give people a chance. Clearly it wasn't needed this time.
Fair enough, but I don't think extending the deadline for a week will do much to solve that particular problem. Speaking from experience, long deadlines tend to encourage procrastination more than increased productivity or quality.

Here is an entry from me: an alternate Irish Flag. The Irish who made this flag didn't feel like catering to the Northern Protestants by adding orange. They stayed true to their Gaelic Roots and made
this flag. The cross symbolizes the Catholic Church while the three bars that form the cross symbolize the Holy Trinity. The green symbolizes the land of Eire, the white symbolizes the peace they are
striving for, while the Celtic knot symbolizes the people of Ireland.

Celtic%20Knot%20ATL%20Irish%20Flag.png

Entries seem to be getting away from the '300 pixels maximum height' rule.
Perhaps it would help if the rule were to be included on every competition set.

Entries seem to be getting away from the '300 pixels maximum height' rule.
Perhaps it would help if the rule were to be included on every competition set.
That rule honestly seems rather dated to me. I'd be all for starting enforcing a size limit again, but it should be more along the lines of 500-600 rather than the original measly 300 IMHO. With only 300, it's going to be hard to make out details on the entries, and they will tend to be pixelated even if produced in Inkscape.

That rule honestly seems rather dated to me. I'd be all for starting enforcing a size limit again, but it should be more along the lines of 500-600 rather than the original measly 300 IMHO. With only 300, it's going to be hard to make out details on the entries, and they will tend to be pixelated even if produced in Inkscape.

to be honest, I feel that if you need an image with greater resolution then that to properly see the details of your flag, something which is meant in theory to be recognisable while flapping at a distance, it can probably do with a bit of simplification.

to be honest, I feel that if you need an image with greater resolution then that to properly see the details of your flag, something which is meant in theory to be recognisable while flapping at a distance, it can probably do with a bit of simplification.
True, but my point was mainly that there's no good reason to make it quite that tiny. 300 pixels is very small with the 1920x1080 resolution that's the norm even for laptops these days, and it's not like flags are detailed enough to have large file sizes either. It should also be noted that most people don't seem to use vector software to make their flags, which means that with 300 pixels as their height limit, there's going to be a lot more downsizing and general quality loss as well.

I agree with this. I don't see any particular reason to change the 300px rule.

I agree with this. I don't see any particular reason to change the 300px rule.
I don't see much of a reason to enforce it either. There are no benefits to keeping it at 300px, and plenty of drawbacks related to loss of image quality. Most resources available just won't fit a flag that tiny, and rescaling is something you want to avoid unless you're working with vectors.

Last edited:
It was put into place because people were posting unnecessarily massive images, especially in the multi-flag gallery rounds. Was an utter pain to scroll through and compare.
Yes, I understand that, and I am all for enforcing a size limit, just not something as low as 300px. How about having different rules depending on whether the challenge is for a single flag or multiple? Something along the lines of 500-600 for single flags and 300 for multiple ones seems like it would work well.