Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

Here are 2 challenge ideas:

A. The Hanseatic League grows into a more cohesive and centralized union, design a flag for it.

B. Design a flag by twice clicking "random article" in the Navigation Box on Wikipedia and then combining the elements (colors & symbols) of the two most closely related (local, regional, subnational or national) flags.

Here are 2 samples from the Flag Thread:
https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=2146888&postcount=7191

https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=2145657&postcount=7167

• A flag used by fans of a sports team in a fictional or alt-historical country
  • A flag for a guerrilla movement that adheres to a fictional, alt-historical, or dead ideology
  • A personal standard for a head-of-state possessing an obsolete or unusual title - a modern archon, First Consul, high king, Big Brother, etc. - of any country
  • A new or alternate flag for any place that is currently uninhabited, whether it has a flag in OTL or not

Last edited:
Here's my flag for the Central European Union in AH-Sue's Challenge:

9 gold stars (with black fimbriation) to represent each Member Nation on a white lozenge.
Opposing corners red and blue.
The lozenge came about as a compromise over horizontal or vertical tricolours and order of the main colours of members: red white blue.

Mitropa.png

Here is my entry for this challenge, which was a rather tricky one, ah-sue ;)

The flag is a tricolour consisting out of three equal horizontal stripes in the colours red, green and red and with a white isosceles triangle at the hoist, which features a black and white cross pattée in its centre.

The cross pattée stands for the mostly Catholic population of Mitropa's members, as well as the military ties, since the cross is also a symbol for the crusades and as such both military and war.

The colours stand for courage (red), purity (white) and wealth (green), showing the ideals of the Central European Union.

mitropa.png

Last edited:
The flag of the Central European Union. The 9 white stars in the blue hexagon represents the strong and peaceful union between the 9 CEU member-states while the white circle enclosing it represents the united front presented to the dangerous outside world, symbolised by the red field.
CEU.png

CEU.png

My submission for ah-sue's challenge:
The nine stars form a semi-circle, representing the importance and equality of each member-nation, with the tenth larger star representing the union as a whole and its importance to each member. The arrangement of stars is encircled by chains, symbolic of the powerful bonds of the union.
The colors of the flag come from the colors of the members' own flags, blue, white, red, and gold/yellow being dominant and consistently used colors.
The cross recalls yet another common element of the member nations' identities, that of the Christian religion, which helps to unite Mitropia.

Mitropia Challenge.png

Mitropa

The "Zipper" Flag - perjorative used in the West for the Mitropan Union Flag.

The black border is simply to highlight the edges, and is not a part of the flag.

Mitropa.png

The new challenge will be posted by the winner of the previous. That won't be determined until the poll closes (scroll up three posts to the link). New challenges go in the the New Challenges & Previous Winners thread (AH-Sue's Challenge)

Is there a new challenge? I follow these so closely, I would like to be able to enter just this once...

The new challenge will be posted by the winner of the previous. That won't be determined until the poll closes (scroll up three posts to the link). New challenges go in the the New Challenges & Previous Winners thread (AH-Sue's Challenge)

Since AH-Sue is still mostly offline, I've published the winner of her Challenge - congratulations to LylyCSM2!. They'll no doubt publish a new Challenge when they log on (Texas time I think ;)).

Yay! I'm so excited to have won.

Alright, in honor of Earth Day, your challenge is to design a better Earth Day flag. Good luck, all!

My entry for the Earth Day flag.

Sun as the on the hoist and the four inner planets laid along the mid line of the flag. The Earth is set in the center, with the moon, to dente it is the only home we have. The field is black for space, which represents the earth as small, alone, and fragile.

earthday1.png

Last edited:
Earth Day 2.0 Flag

The green earth cradled by the blue oceans surround the single leaf icon, representing the fragility yet elegance of the biosphere. The sun-yellow field signifys the life-giving light that bathes us from Sol.

Earth Day 2,0.png