Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

There are some very good designs here. I must admit that the 'union of norway and scotland' is VERY striking but seems to me to be more of a royal standard than a national flag.

There are some very good designs here. I must admit that the 'union of norway and scotland' is VERY striking but seems to me to be more of a royal standard than a national flag.

That's exactly what it was until War of Swedish Aggression which deposed the royal family and lead to the 40 years occupation of Norway-Scotland. Following the Glorious Thralls Revolution, the flag was readopted as a flag of all the Norscotsians.

That's exactly what it was until War of Swedish Aggression which deposed the royal family and lead to the 40 years occupation of Norway-Scotland. Following the Glorious Thralls Revolution, the flag was readopted as a flag of all the Norscotsians.

Hehe

I was tempted to post my Scotland-Iceland (aka Norway-in-exile) flag if hadn't already been used

Flag Challenge 115: Here Be Dragons

"You have entered another dimension, one familiar yet, different. A dimension where Dragons rules countries and elves do......elf stuff......"

The challenge then is to make a national flag for a country in an heroic fantasy ATL. The only restriction is that the country in question must exist OTL so: Flag of Camelot, no, flag of the UK ruled by the House of Pendragon, yes.

Submissions Open: NOW !
Submissions Close: Tuesday 30 july midnight Eastern Standard Time

Voting Opens: 31 july
Voting Closes: 6 august

How acceptable are provinces/banats/circles?

Banate of Ardelia

This Rhomanian Imperial Banate is ruled by the Order of the Blood of the Bereft & St Jude, a mixed haematurgic order established by the crusade against the Vampire Lords of the region.
The Order are slightly suspect by the Hierarchs of the Church in that they include several "redeemed vampires" - indeed the Order claims that appellation to apply only to nonChristians - and that certain bloodrites are needed to gain entry to the Order. The dispensation granted by the Holy Mother to go beyond normal Christian Haematurgy to combat Vampirism however has the price that all members must be branded; each member has their rank tattoed or burned into their forehead. While the head of the Order, the Grand Sovereign, ranks as a Hierarch they are forbidden to accede to the post of Holy Mother of the Church.
As Ardelia is an orderstate the Ban is also a high ranking member of the order; at present the head of the Order serves as Ban though at times a mere Sovereign has ruled.

attachment.php

The Flag of the State is based on that of the order and is a chequy of argent goutte de sang and azure.

bloodbanner3.PNG

Last edited:
House Capet

House Capet is the ruling Elven family of Francia.

EgtdsxH.png

The Flag of House Capet commonly used as the Francian flag

Morty Vicar

Banned
Can I make a quick check to see if my flag would be qualified? My idea is that on Plum Island, New York, the bioweapons facility has an outbreak, that leads to a zombie infestation. The island is given status as an international research area, and the warning flags placed on strategic markers around the island become an unofficial national flag of sorts.

The Alpine Dwarves had been disunited from the end of the Roman Empire fell and the various clans of Helvetia warred among themselves. With the reforging of the Western Roman Empire by the Men of the Franks, the dwarves were subject to the Holy Roman Empire and the expansionist whims of the neighboring lords. The leaders of the various Dwarven groups met and pooled their resources into what is today known as the Old Dwarven Confederacy.

Dwarven Confederacy.png

Can I make a quick check to see if my flag would be qualified? My idea is that on Plum Island, New York, the bioweapons facility has an outbreak, that leads to a zombie infestation. The island is given status as an international research area, and the warning flags placed on strategic markers around the island become an unofficial national flag of sorts.

pushing it a bit too much. The idea of the challenge was to have people come up with the flags of fantasy versions of real world polities.

Morty Vicar

Banned
I was hoping for more entrants. Come on you lastminutitis sufferers!

I had an idea previously for a Royal lineage with a genetic predisposition to dwarfism, resulting in a dwarf kingdom (in a manner of speaking). But two things, 1 it perhaps didn't quite live up to the fantastical nature of the challenge, and 2 there is another dwarven kingdom flag already entered, it seemed undiplomatic to enter another.