Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

The Republic of Transandesia, as its name suggests, lies between the Andes mountain range and the Pacific Ocean. For centuries it was part of English South America before gaining its independence in 1872, following the revolution in England and the abolition of that country’s monarchy.

The flag of Transandesia has red and green horizontal stripes, signifying its settlement mainly by English and Irish immigrants. The emblem in its central, broad, white stripe represents the goddess Ariadne with a black panther. This emblem was chosen because of the legendary black panther said to roam the mountains and because of the number of labyrinths of unexplained origin discovered along the Pacific Coast.

333y6nq.png

OK, the poll is now up and running.

(BTW, there's no truth in the rumour that the woman featured on Which Tyler's flag is me - I'm not that chubby!)

Both you and her look thin to me. ;)
Difficult on to judge unless ah-sue could submit a photograph where she adopts a pose similar to that on the flag, perhaps a large black labrador, or similar, dog would be safer than a panther. :D

I shall keep checking my private message box. ;)

Difficult on to judge unless ah-sue could submit a photograph where she adopts a pose similar to that on the flag, perhaps a large black labrador, or similar, dog would be safer than a panther. :D I shall keep checking my private message box. ;)

We're really even discussing this ? :rolleyes:

Now, now, don't be overeager, young man ! :mad: You go apologise to the lovely little lady at once ! And I mean it. We could use more tact towards our distinguished female authors, from you included. This is a flag contest thread, the courtship and innuendo threads are located elsewhere, so please act accordingly...

And the current challenge:

Flag Challenge 107 - "Arab Independence"

"...the Empire crumbled, the Arab peoples had their independence and set about nationbuilding..."

Your Challenge is to design a flag for an Arab (majority) state. Describe its current government, the extent of its territory, and the Empire it was formerly part of.

Submissions open: 6 February
Submissions close: 13 February (Midnight GMT)
Voting opens: 14ish February
Voting closes: 21ish January (Midnight GMT)

The United Arab Kingdom was carved out from the corpse of the Abyssinian Empire after the Great War (1920-25). Historically the Arabs never had an unified state. Their territories were subjugated and governed by Aksum, the Sassanid Empire, the Mongols, the Red Khanate, Gujarati and many other Indian empires, the Spanish, the Hansa and, ultimately, a burgeoning and reformed Abyssinian Empire. Eight different kingdoms formerly under the Solomonid dynasty have accepted to unite in a federal constitutional monarchy that, despite some foreign-backed secessionist and revolutionary movements in the XX century, managed to survive with most of its liberties intact.

Due to many foreign dominations the Arabs have developed a syncretic religiosity. Mecca have become the, some would say, religious capital of the world, with gurus, scholars and people from all over the world and all over the history coming to the Caaba sanctuary. This is reflected in the flag of the empire, with a black-golden rectangle representing the Caaba. The eight-pointed star represents what are considered main eight systems of belief in Arabia¹² and also its eight kingdoms.

tumblr_n0um05mXW51swo4lto1_500.png

Today the UAK is a prosperous oil-rich country. The amount of wealth have attracted many immigrants, creating a issue that may endanger the multicultural character of the very Arab nation itself.

Below the map of the UAK and other countries created after the Treaty of Alexandria.

¹ Arab traditional beliefs, Zoroastrism, Christianism, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Gnosticism, Jainism.
² The definition of the Eight Major Beliefs is rejected by many Arabs who view Arab spirituality as dogma free, the conjugation of all religions into the true one. Despite those univeralists, a neo-pagan movement have been growing among the Arab youth similarly to their Western counterparts OTL.

tumblr_n0r9hzWpTP1swo4lto2_400.png

Last edited:
SHREHRAIN

With the fragmentation of the Greater (or Second) Khmer Empire, a predominantly Arab area - almost 78% of the population being of Arab descent - bordering the Bay of Bengal became the independent nation of Shrehrain.

Arab traders were well known at the time of the First Khmer Empire and by the time of that Empire’s contraction a sizeable colony of Arabs existed, immigrants mainly from the Arabian Peninsula. For over a century, this colony was occupied by a succession of conquerors, e.g. Thai, Mogul, Burmese. The creation of the Second Khmer Empire was actively supported by the Arabs and as a result they were given special status within the Empire.

Shrehrain is a democratic republic, with an executive President directly elected every 6 years and a bicameral parliament with a normal life of 4 years. All males of 18 years and over and all females of 21 years and over have the vote.

Map- the golden area represents the maximum extent of the Greater Khmer Empire; the white area denotes Shrehrain (which used to form part of the GKE).

2jakwat.png

The Flag -

spcd45.png

I am so loving the originality in both current entries.
More I say!

EDIT: Challlenge due to end in 17hours but will extend by 24 if there is enough demand

Last edited:
CUBA

In TTL Spain undertook the conquest of North Africa during the sixteenth century.

The conquerors undertook a campaign of religious conversion which was not greatly successful. Under a Royal Edict of 1622, any Muslim under the age of 40 not converting to Christianity could be selected for transportation as a slave to the Spanish colony of Cuba, the edict being influenced by requests from the Governor of that island following the near extinction of the natives through European diseases.

Many thousands of Arabs were sent into slavery in Cuba as a result of this policy, to be joined by a lesser number of slaves taken from Africa.

Following a succession of failed revolts, in 1888 Spanish rule ended as a result of the US-Spanish War. Cuba was for over 20 years administered by the United States. Following full independence the Republic of Cuba came into being in 1909.

Its political system is based upon the American model, with a President and Upper and Lower Houses elected every 4 years.

The flag bears green and black stripes, for the majority Arab and minority African Cubans respectively. While the crescent and star is known as a Muslim symbol, the star is black in acknowledgment of the population of African descent.

25iq241.png