Weber's Germany: The Veterinarian Totalitarian

As is often the case with this TL it's difficult to determine whether it's appropriate to 'like' the chapter given the events detailed but it was certainly worth the wait. This is undoubtedly harrowing but also very well written and inventive, again Weber sticks out via a combination of originality and research. This must have been tough to write and whilst I'm looking forward to more I can appreciate that writing of this standard often takes a while.

Population Planning

Monoun Nature Reserve
These are just so characteristic of the kind of bland euphemisms the Reich would have come up with. More chilling than the truth.

I do wonder whether Mazuku events would occur often enough to be useful as extermination tools. I get the impression they are quite infrequent. Undoubtedly something Heydrich would use if he could, though. Thoroughly unpleasant update, so, ironically, well done.

Question about TTL's "Final Solution", I wonder if this version is a more "positive" version than OTL. Historically, the Nazi's killed six million Jews alone, and while I'm not sure how many died in the Concentration Camps proper in total, the Nazi death toll across Eastern Europe between 1939 and 1945 easily reached fifteen million total. From the sounds of it, Nazi policies like a far less efficient means of killing people than gas chambers unless I'm missing something, and since the war in Eastern Europe is on hold the Nazi's won't be able to kill all the people they want there without deliberate action (or of course expelling them into the current borders of the Soviet Union). Several million of those casualties in Eastern Europe came from food shortages caused by the fighting that, to put it bluntly, the Nazis saw as if anything a positive development. Overall, might we see more people actually surviving the Holocaust and other assorted Nazi atrocities than OTL, and if that's the case what would the effect of a larger Jewish population be on the Commonwealth of Israel?

I find it interesting that the descriptions of things going downhill after the "Collapse of the Reich's central authority" imply that the German colonies were not occupied at the time Germany was getting its face kicked in. Which is odd, You'd think that Britain and America would prioritize removing German naval bases in a renewed war.

Well, Weber's swapped out the gas chambers for volcanic gas chambers! I admit this is both horrific and devilishly creative.... But it seems much less efficient of a Final Solution than OTL. The wording at the end suggests less deaths than OTL, despite the reich lasting longer.

So it is a re-start of the eastern front that causes Part II of WWII? Well, I'd imagine that Stalin would try. Will the USA be joining in? I'd imagine that beating up Japan (How IS that war going, actually?) has giving them an appetite for destroying fascist dictatorships!

Anyways, nice update!

Yikes. They even figured out a way to use natural phenomena as a weapon of genocide. Germanic efficiency for ya. :eek:

You said that at least a sixth of all the people who were shipped to West Africa died. How many people in total were sent there? While the numbers are nowhere near as exact as OTL's figures for the Holocaust, that could give us some ballpark estimate.

On the one hand, the industrialized genocide doesn't look like it's happening.

On the other hand Cameroon sounds like it's own form of Hell. The entire escape will undoubtedly become the stuff of legend... also I think TTL might have plenty of "greatest game" psycho villians, given the whole "pen up the undesirables and hunt them down like animals if they escape" thing.

Vuru

Banned
In one hand, they're using the prisoners for something
On the other hand, the work they do isn't even useful for anyone and you're throwing away potentially useful workforce by working them to death

That makes me wonder: What is the "useful" industrial output of the Kamerun death camps? There's probably going to be a number of people who will get cranky if Germany spends a bunch of resources sending people to Africa with little material gain for the Reich.

Vuru

Banned
Well, mostly processing raw materials but also used to make valuable infrastructure

And yes, i'm thinking Speer would be disappoint (is he still in the game?)

Now, the colonies do raise an interesting question. Maybe they could be used as the sought after lebensraum? Even tho then you have to remove the natives too, but it's reverse america, instead of disease killing the natives, native diseases kill you, so they have to pull the "reee kill kill destroy kill" (maybe less destroy maybe?) scheme even further

There must be a lot of resources tied up in shipping so many people to the Cameroons, even cramming them in boxcar style of the Nazi's. And I agree I would think the first action of a new war would be Britain invading the Cameroons.

Zagan

Donor
I find it interesting that the descriptions of things going downhill after the "Collapse of the Reich's central authority" imply that the German colonies were not occupied at the time Germany was getting its face kicked in. Which is odd, You'd think that Britain and America would prioritize removing German naval bases in a renewed war.
There must be a lot of resources tied up in shipping so many people to the Cameroons, even cramming them in boxcar style of the Nazi's. And I agree I would think the first action of a new war would be Britain invading the Cameroons.
Nobody said the collapse of the Reich was brought by an external invasion as in OTL.
It may collapse due to many other reasons:
- internal infighting / civil war;
- socio-economic disaster;
- perestroika-type democratization;
- etc.

Ryan

Donor
Nobody said the collapse of the Reich was brought by an external invasion as in OTL.
It may collapse due to many other reasons:
- internal infighting / civil war;
- socio-economic disaster;
- perestroika-type democratization;
- etc.

actually @Tom Colton has already established that the Soviet's invade Germany in the future (IIRC it's the main reason why Syria doesn't get any help against Britain once Japan is dealt with)