Will just get things rolling (will also give WCW some changes, slightly ASB but Hogan's politics would kill the company otherwise, I have more faith in McMahon as an authority than Bischoff to keep them under control) for 96 and 97 (feel free to revisit it in subsequent posts though if anyone can add). I'd like to see this go into the 2000's, 2010's and maybe even early 2020's if we can. Also lets keep WWF alive in this also, even if the company goes in a different direction. ECW however, I have plans from them and the talent (especially the main ones when it comes to WCW at least).

May 1996:
Ted Turner begins to help Paul Heyman and ECW financially, in exchange, Heyman would provide creative assistance unofficially and allow talent to go to the company.

June 1996: WCW would resign Brian Pillman from ECW, as well as signing Mick Foley (who would debut his new gimmick Mankind on the next Nitro). They would also reach an agreement with Kurt Angle for a contract beginning in 1998 (after a stint in the WCW Power Plant).

2 October 1996:
The Time Warner-AOL merger is dead in the water. With major disagreements with regard to certain aspects of Time Warners business (such as wrestling and other entertainment).

14 October 1997: The entire Hart Family would leave the WWF after the Montreal Screwjob, with McMahon offering little to no resistance.

12 November 1997: Hulk Hogan, Kevin Nash, Ric Flair, Scott Hall and several other members of the roster would be unhappy with the Hart family's roster. Turner, who had wanted to reduce the overall salary (as well as tensions in the locker room), decided to phone McMahon to make a deal to take these members on. McMahon, who had just lost the entire Hart family to WCW, was very keen to gain some star power.

14 November 1997: A deal would be reached, where Hogan, Nash, Hall, Flair, Savage, 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper, Jim Duggan and Lex Luger and their contracts being sent to the WWF in exchange for All the members from the Nation of Domination (Ron Simmons, D'Lo Brown, Rocky Miavia, Savio Vega, Mark Henry, Ahmed Johnson, Kama Mustafa), Flash Funk, Ken Shamrock, Dustin Rhodes and Steve Austin. WCW rationalised this as adding talent for the future whilst WWF rationalised this as adding talent for the present. the WWF however were unable to buy the rights to the NWO however.

16 November 1997: WCW would reach an agreement to release Lanny Poffo and Vincent (allowing them to join the WWF). The wrestling world was coming to terms with these releases, Eric Bischoff would resign after the releases made and join WWF as head of creative with Dusty Rhodes (with Paul heyman acting as unofficial booking advisor).

24 November 1997: Both sets of talent involved in the contract exchange. Hogan and Nash & Hall would jump the barrier and help Shawn Micheals and HHH win their tag team match in the main event, allying themselves with DX. On Nitro, The former Nation of Domination members, both members of the Harlem Heat and 2 Cold Scorpio would jump both Sting and Bret Hart. Ron Simmons and The Rock (as he was now known) would both cut promos, with Simmons saying 'This is the last present the old guard is leaving WCW'. As news had begun to leak out, WWF, for the first time in 18 months, would draw a larger rating than WCW (WWF would draw a 4.3, as opposed to WCW's 2.8).

Beggining of 1998: After a Crazy October and November (involving the Montreal Screwjob, a massive talent exchange and the ratings wars flipped on its head. December was relatively quiet in comparison (Starrcade aside). WCW having reduced costs were now behind in the ratings war (WCW sitting on a 3.1 average, with WWF averaging 3.9), but financially they had reduced their payroll drastically, increased locker room harmony and have several young potential stars. WWF, despite the much larger payroll, now had much more starpower and therefore, more money.

Potential Souled out 1998 card:
Bret Hart and Sting vs. Rock and Ron Simmons
Owen Hart vs. Chris Jericho for the tv title (This is one of my dream matches)
Eddie Guerrero vs. Ultimo Dragon vs. Dean Malenko for the Crusierweight title
DDP vs. Steve Austin for the us title
Jim Neidhart and the British Bulldog vs. Harlem Heat
D'lo Brown and Mark Henry vs. The Steiner Brothers vs. Vicious and Delicious for the tag team titles
Rob Van Dam vs. Mankind
Brian Pillman vs. TBA for the World Heavyweight title.
So what do you think about the card and who do you think is the mystery opponent?

At the risk of raining on your parade, the opening gambit of mass contract exchanges seems to be pretty far-fetched.

Why would WCW, which was winning the ratings war, decide to essentially give the likes of Hogan, Hall and Nash (the guys who'd put them on top) to the opposition?

Why would Hogan, Hall and Nash move back to Vince? They're sitting pretty in Billionaire Ted's company. They work about a third of the dates, for the same money, and can pull the 'creative control' stunt on anything that threatens their spot. Why would Savage go back to Connecticut? Vince tried to retire him the best part of a decade ago.

This is a huge swap. By my count, 8 people are heading north, and 11* heading south, and that's just in the initial exchange. It doesn't follow from the PoD, and seems out of scale for anything that happened in the Monday Night Wars. It's the sort of movement that might take place over the course of two years, not one meeting.

I don't want to be negative, but this feels so unrealistic. If there are good reasons for believing that I'm wrong about this, and such a move was remotely feasible, I'd love to hear that.

*Plus the otl of Bret, Anvil, and Bulldog, but "the whole Hart family" suggests at least Owen too.

At the risk of raining on your parade, the opening gambit of mass contract exchanges seems to be pretty far-fetched.

Why would WCW, which was winning the ratings war, decide to essentially give the likes of Hogan, Hall and Nash (the guys who'd put them on top) to the opposition?

Why would Hogan, Hall and Nash move back to Vince? They're sitting pretty in Billionaire Ted's company. They work about a third of the dates, for the same money, and can pull the 'creative control' stunt on anything that threatens their spot. Why would Savage go back to Connecticut? Vince tried to retire him the best part of a decade ago.

This is a huge swap. By my count, 8 people are heading north, and 11* heading south, and that's just in the initial exchange. It doesn't follow from the PoD, and seems out of scale for anything that happened in the Monday Night Wars. It's the sort of movement that might take place over the course of two years, not one meeting.

I don't want to be negative, but this feels so unrealistic. If there are good reasons for believing that I'm wrong about this, and such a move was remotely feasible, I'd love to hear that.

*Plus the otl of Bret, Anvil, and Bulldog, but "the whole Hart family" suggests at least Owen too.

i'll answer the bolded part. Its a bit of a 3 part thing

1) their contracts, WCW wanted to get rid of some of the bigger contracts, they where massive. Ted Turner is being shrewd in this scenario, he knows that he could lose out at first yes, but they still retained some of their bigger names and got some young stars in (they keep Goldberg, Sting and still have guys like DDP, Steiner, Booker T, Konnan and their entire crusierweight division). Turner, whilst loving WCW, was haemorrhaging money and wanted to save ultimately and all this drama made his life a lot easier. I mean what good was having the high ratings if it isn't sustainable or is losing money.
2) backstage heat, a lot of it. The locker room was split in two essentially after the Hart family came in, as it was the NWO and a lot of those other guys mentioned (including Hall and Nash, who remember are Shawn's boys) vs almost everyone, i'm saying there was that much heat their were fist fights breaking out on the regular at shows making the whole situation bad (because, their is also resentment building up from the undercard and younger guys against the NWO members). Vince was desperate to get some big names after Hart left, whilst he had Micheals, he was losing a war, whilst he wanted to be rid of Savage before, he knew that Savage was a draw and a big one at that (also WCW was promising him even less), he also get promised a long term storyline with Shawn Micheals. Also the trio know damn well with McMahon that they'll be main eventers and are on the same contract, they didn't care, also the Kliq is back.
3) They sat in a meeting for 48 hours straight basically (though we could change such a swap to being over a period of time, i'm just saying heat was insurmountable). Even though only 8 go north, Poffo and Vincent both go to WWF also (even if not being part of the original deal) and remember, Vince being Vince, probably got the better deal of it at the time, but Turner was willing to let them go (also Turner went in their, but he got help from others, including but not limited to Dusty and Heyman).
4) yes, owen heads for WCW also (that i did by design). Bret IOTL did try to bring him over immediately to WCW, in this i'm saying Owen does go. I did the same thing for Pillman (trying to keep them alive).

it probably isn't realistic (well the swap sure ain't) but a lot that went wrong in the 90's could be attributed to politicking and backstage antics. I did that massive thing by design also because I thought, if i were to do that, i really don't want it dragging out over more than a year with talent going either way.

There wouldn't really be anything remotely this monumental after this on the timeline though (other than maybe ECW folding later on). The rest of this should be relatively normal.

Last edited:
Potential Souled out 1998 card:
Bret Hart and Sting vs. Rock and Ron Simmons
Owen Hart vs. Chris Jericho for the tv title (This is one of my dream matches)
Eddie Guerrero vs. Ultimo Dragon vs. Dean Malenko for the Crusierweight title
DDP vs. Steve Austin for the us title
Jim Neidhart and the British Bulldog vs. Harlem Heat
D'lo Brown and Mark Henry vs. The Steiner Brothers vs. Vicious and Delicious for the tag team titles
Rob Van Dam vs. Mankind
Brian Pillman vs. TBA for the World Heavyweight title.
So what do you think about the card and who do you think is the mystery opponent?

its fantastic, i love it.

as for mystery opponent, if it ain't Stone Cold, i'd say Raven would honestly be pretty cool, it may not be the most obvious choice but a feud between Pillman and Raven would be downright amazing. Goldberg would be very obvious but it would be a weird one to be honest. At least if you have Raven vs Pillman, the feud would be amazing.

To tie into my point about the ECW roster, since you got them there:

8 January 1998: Rob Van Dam and Lance Storm are signed from ECW (RVD would however be also allowed to work for ECW for the next 1-2 months to finish off his storyline).

Last edited:
January 1998: The WWF decide against reinstating the WWF light heavyweight championship, as Vince McMahon and other WWF staff felt that it would be unnecessary (and were more worried about the bigger storylines, and members of the roster).

24 January 1998: The WWF hosted the Royal Rumble at San Jose Arena in San Jose California.

The results were:
  1. Big Van Vader defeated Yokozuna
  2. New Age Outlaws (With Chyna) defeated Al Snow and Steve Blackman
  3. The Outsiders (Scott Hall and Kevin Nash) Defeated The Legion of Doom (C) (Hawk and Animal) - WWF Tag Team Championship
  4. HHH defeated Jeff Jarrett (c) and Randy Savage - Intercontinental Championship
  5. Hulk Hogan won by last eliminating Kane - Royal Rumble Match
  6. Shawn Micheals (c) (With HHH, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash) vs Undertaker - Casket Match for WWF Championship
Notes from the matches:
  1. Yokozuna, having just returned, looked in much better shape than he had before, working a short, but intense match with Vader.
  2. Mainly filler, but their was about a week of build beforehand
  3. Nash and Hall had inserted themselves back into the tag team division, with them tormenting both members of the legion.
  4. Jarrett won the vacated Intercontinental championship on an episode of raw in December after a short 8 man tournament. HHH would hit Savage with a steel chair behind the referees back and pin him to win.
  5. Hogan would come in at #28 to a massive pop, clearing house. He would use Kane's own momentum to eliminate him to the adulation of the crowd. Kane would eliminate 12 other people (a record at the time).
  6. Micheals vs Taker would be an epic 30 minute match, however Micheals would require assistance from HHH, Hall and Nash to win the match. Post Match, the Hulkster would come down to the ring to confront Micheals, but get beaten down by DX (after a quick staredown with Nash and Hall, HHH would jump him first). Randy Savage would run down to make the save along with Snow and Blackman. Leading to the main event of No Way out (Shawn Micheals, HHH, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash vs Hogan, Savage, Snow, Blackman in an 8 man unsanctioned match).

Last edited:
You don't really explain why there is so much more backstage heat than there is in otl. Which is sort of important, as the catalyst for this monumental swap. Moreover, the swap is very heavy on the foresight, considering some of the names involved.

Anyway, moving on. I'm assuming that Hogan, being aligned against the Kliq, including the Outsiders (who probably need a different name), is back to red and yellow real American?

You don't really explain why there is so much more backstage heat than there is in otl. Which is sort of important, as the catalyst for this monumental swap. Moreover, the swap is very heavy on the foresight, considering some of the names involved.

Anyway, moving on. I'm assuming that Hogan, being aligned against the Kliq, including the Outsiders (who probably need a different name), is back to red and yellow real American?

You would be correct (Red and yellow, for now at least, i've got something up my sleeve, the WWF have acknowledged the NWO's history also).

It is sort of foresight yeah, i couldn't have WCW get completely destroyed either in this (meaning i couldn't give WWF all the stars just to save money, would be a bit ridiculous).

If I remember rightly, the WCW cruiserweight division was absolutely red hot in early 1998.

With WWF dropping the Lightheavyweight title, if WCW is smart, it can use this to its advantage as it will offer something WWF doesn't. I'd love to see the cruiserweight division be pushed really hard by WCW in this TL. Give it plenty of time and lat the wrestlers really show what they can do. With people like Hogan out of the way, they won't have anyone holding them back.

Ittl I could see wcw and wcw being run very much like how new Japan and Noah were working until 2016 and the sea and wcw during the mid 80's. As for the world title match, this may cause another round of backstage politics if its raven.

If I remember rightly, the WCW cruiserweight division was absolutely red hot in early 1998.

With WWF dropping the Lightheavyweight title, if WCW is smart, it can use this to its advantage as it will offer something WWF doesn't. I'd love to see the cruiserweight division be pushed really hard by WCW in this TL. Give it plenty of time and lat the wrestlers really show what they can do. With people like Hogan out of the way, they won't have anyone holding them back.

its what i had in mind to be honest. I decided for the WWF to drop the light heavyweight title because its basically only Taka Michinoku and some joke wrestlers. With no Hogan, Nash etc, the CW division will get a lot more time.

Edit: i'll also add, by axing the WWF light-heavyweight division (it was New Japan's title in the first place i think). I'm

1) Turning WWF into the land of giants moreso than before (moreso than IOTL). Whilst WCW has smaller, talented wrestlers also. Basically, being under 6 foot won't be a crime in WCW.
2) Getting NJPW and WCW in bed more

Last edited:
Ittl I could see wcw and wcw being run very much like how new Japan and Noah were working until 2016 and the sea and wcw during the mid 80's. As for the world title match, this may cause another round of backstage politics if its raven.

how so? Did he have heat backstage? I mean go with whoever you see fit to be honest (I mean Goldberg wouldn't be a bad option

as for WCW's relationships with other companies, yeah we should certainly use WCW's relationships with companies like New Japan and use Konnan's connections in mexico if we can.

I don't see so much a swap as a flurry of expiring contracts and defections. Thinking of who had contracts expiring in that time period, you'd have Hogan/Flair/Savage for WCW and Bret for WWF? I could see a realistic situation where Hogan/Savage/Flair go to WWF and maybe Bret and the Hart Foundation jump to WCW if WWF's finances aren't as bad ITTL but the Kliq is still as toxic. When Flair had his estrangement from WCW, there were rumors of Flair withing days of jumping to WWF in April 1998 but the legal issues were too thorny. Could have Savage appear at No Way Out of Texas, Flair at Unforgiven and Hogan I have no idea. Spitballing here w/ my situation, I'd love Flair aligning with Mr. McMahon for a Corporate Horsemen with Shamrock and Rock with Bossman and Test in late 98/99.

In your TL, McMahon still gets a Corporate Horsemen with Flair, HHH (after a HBK/HHH feud where HHH gets kicked out of DX), Jarrett, Luger in mid/late 98 and then Test or Edge (doesn't get the stupid Brood gimmick) kicking Luger or Jarrett out in 99? Could still see Evolution in 2001/02/03 as a revival of this when Flair starts to wind down.

I don't see so much a swap as a flurry of expiring contracts and defections. Thinking of who had contracts expiring in that time period, you'd have Hogan/Flair/Savage for WCW and Bret for WWF? I could see a realistic situation where Hogan/Savage/Flair go to WWF and maybe Bret and the Hart Foundation jump to WCW if WWF's finances aren't as bad ITTL but the Kliq is still as toxic. When Flair had his estrangement from WCW, there were rumors of Flair withing days of jumping to WWF in April 1998 but the legal issues were too thorny. Could have Savage appear at No Way Out of Texas, Flair at Unforgiven and Hogan I have no idea. Spitballing here w/ my situation, I'd love Flair aligning with Mr. McMahon for a Corporate Horsemen with Shamrock and Rock with Bossman and Test in late 98/99.

In your TL, McMahon still gets a Corporate Horsemen with Flair, HHH (after a HBK/HHH feud where HHH gets kicked out of DX), Jarrett, Luger in mid/late 98 and then Test or Edge (doesn't get the stupid Brood gimmick) kicking Luger or Jarrett out in 99? Could still see Evolution in 2001/02/03 as a revival of this when Flair starts to wind down.

that may not be a bad idea, if you have an idea, go for it.

I love the idea of a corporate horseman (with McMahon in control) or even Hogan/Nash/Hall eventually vs DX. I do have plans for Jarrett jumping ship also so go for it, please (hopefully not getting himself black balled by the WWF for being an idiot).

on WCW, since their is no authority, could have the current incarnation of the NWO run roughshod for a while i think whilst the CW division gets attention along with the US title.

(also, how dare you, the brood/gangrel had the best entrance music ever).

What does everyone think though so far? Please feel free to make entries (for any of the company's, including ECW, All Japan, New Japan etc, maybe even other world events not really related to wrestling, such as Korea, US etc).

how so? Did he have heat backstage? I mean go with whoever you see fit to be honest (I mean Goldberg wouldn't be a bad option

as for WCW's relationships with other companies, yeah we should certainly use WCW's relationships with companies like New Japan and use Konnan's connections in mexico if we can.

Paul E's booking aside, raven's only been in wcw for 3 months at this point. If he won the belt, the few older wrestlers (scott, booker, kanyon) will get pissed that they were overlooked by a young boy.

Paul E's booking aside, raven's only been in wcw for 3 months at this point. If he won the belt, the few older wrestlers (scott, booker, kanyon) will get pissed that they were overlooked by a young boy.

That is true, i forgot that Raven only just left ECW by that stage. I'd say Goldberg is the safest bet then (even if its early in the streak). Especially if he is the only established star that hasn't been booked on the card already. Unless you can think of someone else?

That is true, i forgot that Raven only just left ECW by that stage. I'd say Goldberg is the safest bet then (even if its early in the streak). Especially if he is the only established star that hasn't been booked on the card already. Unless you can think of someone else?

Either Goldberg or a certain Chris.