Wayward Son

Part 01: Divergence
“Now the WB is doing for orphans raised by apes what Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Smallville did for vampires and Superman, namely reviving a tired franchise with a healthy dose of angst, melodrama, and forbidden love.”

July 15, 2004.

Philip Segal, Senior Vice-President for Scripted Programming and Development at Tribune Entertainment, nursed a cocktail, for once enjoying negotiations with those WB assholes. The lounge’s sweeping nighttime view of the Chicago skyline kept the atmosphere mellow and the heavy food kept their guests sedate. The swanky party was an effort by the higher-ups at his company to mend fences with The WB, in which the Tribune owned a minority 22.5% stake.

It was an important if increasingly acrimonious business partnership. Unlike the Big Four networks, The WB relied on affiliate stations to carry their programming. They didn’t own and operate their own stations, while Tribune Entertainment ran 19 affiliates and monopolized the airwaves in a chunk of the country. As the party gradually tapered down, Segal found himself sitting in a corner table with Garth Ancier, Chairman of the WB Television Network. It was a rare quiet moment with Ancier, who had spent several months angling for Tribune Entertainment to become a full 50-50 stakeholder in The WB. Which wasn’t going to happen. There just wasn’t that kind of money left in The WB with its declining viewership and stale programming. Not that Tribune Entertainment was that healthy itself.

Maybe it was the liquor, maybe it was the whiff of rot lingering over their respective companies, but something got him and Ancier talking about their own professional failures.

“No, no. You were one hundred percent right to cancel Freaks and Geeks,” Segal said. “With the ratings it had? Anyone would make that call.”

“You see Anchorman yet?”

“No.”

Silence.

Belatedly, Segal allowed, “I hear it’s good.”

“Judd Apatow produced that. You think he’s going to forget the guy who crushed his baby?”

“I think it’s really Will Ferrell’s hit. In ten years? Nobody will know who Judd Apatow is.”

Ancier shot back, “Do those nerds still remember Paul McGann?”

Segal’s blood cooled at that quip.

“Nobody forgives anything in show business,” Ancier added, gloomy.

Before he could formulate a response, David Janollari, The WB’s President of Entertainment slipped into the chair beside Ancier. He pressed a bubbly short glass into his colleague's hand — Segal half-suspected it was ginger ale — and casually pushed the half-finished cocktail sitting on the rich wood table out of Ancier’s reach. He met Segal’s inquiring gaze.

David Janollari. A sober-looking man, literally and figuratively. He had orbited The WB practically since its inception, but it was only lately that he’d assumed the true mantle of power at the network. The WB’s previous President of Entertainment, Jordan Levin, had lasted a mere twenty-six days. He’d made the press in all the worst ways, like after Lori Loughlin yucked it up with reporters about Levin doing vodka shots with her and other WB actors. The WB’s corporate culture was more unbuttoned than most networks, a product of its youthful staff, but even that had been too much for Time Warner’s executives.

The party tonight was ostensibly in his honor, not that he’d done anything notable yet besides not make the papers. Janollari had come onboard too late to order pilots for the 2004-2005 season, so The WB (and thus her affiliates, such as Tribune Entertainment) had some real crap to air over the next twelve months. They’d probably be in for even more crap over 2005-2006. New network presidents had a reputation for splurging on too many pilots. They’d put any old crap on the air just to make their mark on things.

“Hope Garth wasn’t chewing your ear off,” Janollari said.

“We were just talking about Doctor Who,” Ancier said, a little sulkily.

The WB’s head asked, “What’s that?”

Pointedly ignoring Janollari kicking his colleague under the table, Segal decided it was best to play off the regrets of the past. This didn’t need to become a public fiasco. “It’s this old British sci-fi show. I tried reviving it back at Fox in ‘96 but we never got past the TV Movie.” He forced himself to smile. “But these days I’m just looking forward to seeing what Peter Jackson does with it.”

Janollari frowned thoughtfully. “Isn’t he doing King Kong?”

“No, it’ll be after Kong.”

“Ah, well, I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I have it on good authority that Jackson and Fran Walsh are buying the rights to The Lovely Bones. It’s supposed to be their next film.”

Segal couldn’t help himself. He leaned forward. “You’re sure?”

“My friend’s never been wrong in the past.”

“Jesus.”

“Needs a break after four back-to-back blockbuster projects, I suppose.”

Segal suddenly felt lightheaded. “That... wow, heads will roll at the BBC!”

Janollari raised his eyebrows. Even Ancier, who had taken his superior’s rebuke and was staring out the window, now studied Segal with curiosity. He felt compelled to explain. “So, the rights to Doctor Who were a mess for a long time, okay? But the last few years? There’s been a pissing match inside the BBC over which branch gets dibs on the IP, but the film project put the kibosh on talk of reverting the rights from BBC Worldwide.”

“What kind of contract did they have Jackson under?” Janollari asked.

“Not a good enough one, apparently.”

“So Jackson dropping the movie means BBC Worldwide has egg on its face,”

“Oh yes. Apparently, the BBC was launching this new studio in Wales and wanted a big—” Segal stopped, reminding himself that it was unlikely either of these men could find Wales on a map, let alone care about the nuances of Doctor Who’s torturous development history. “Well, it’s gonna be a shitshow when this hits the fan.”

A comfortable silence settled over their corner of the longue, at least Philip Segal hoped so. He was hoping that wasn’t the liquor getting to his head, like it had Garth Ancier.

Janollari swirled a drink in its glass. “So, BBC Worldwide has the rights to... this show... and they’re gonna look like major league assholes unless someone bails them out?”

“Not that anyone will, but yeah.”

“Hmm.”

The conversation drifted onto less serious topics.

* * *​

That weekend, out of the blue, David Janollari left a message on Segal’s home telephone. How he got a hold of an unlisted number, Segal wasn’t sure, but the message was even more intriguing. Janollari had watched a few DVDs and wanted to talk shop about Doctor Who.

Segal called back, and discovered the conversation wasn’t about a newly converted fan.

“I do keep in touch,” Segal replied, feeling a touch dizzy, “but there’s been turnover. I’m not on a first-name basis with the people who’d matter.”

“Don’t undersell yourself,” Janollari said. “You were shepherding that TV movie for years. A personal touch counts for a lot in this business.”

“If you’re trying to butter me up, you can stop. I won’t be bribed.”

“I appreciate the pressure that Garth and I have put the Tribune under in these contract talks, but we’ll bid for Doctor Who regardless. I’d just like to know more about who’s who at the BBC. Peter Jackson should’ve been locked down by an ironclad contract, but they screwed up. Like you said, they’re gonna look like real assholes. But a thirteen episode commitment with The WB would make a pretty decent apology to Queen and Country, don’t you think? And frankly, we really do need a genre show to pair with Smallville. It’d be crazy to leave an established IP on the table when we can get it for cheap.”

For years to come, Philip Segal would dwell on this exact moment. Sometimes the memory would fill him with despair or anger. As he grew elderly, he would start to feel sanguine about the whole affair. Segal would — eventually, begrudgingly — admit to himself that David Janollari was not actually Satan in human flesh, even if he himself was most definitely a Faust.

But in that moment, Segal grew thoughtful as temptation filled his quickening heart. “Enemy Within got — sorry, the TV Movie got a 5.6, which is on the upper tier of what Smallville gets on a great week. But The WB isn’t Fox. No offense.”

“Everyone ‘knew’ Superman was a tired property, but Smallville revitalized it.”

“Didn’t go so well trying the same with Tarzan, did it?”

Segal could practically hear Janollari’s shrug. “Eh, we’ll get better writers. Anyway, the important thing is to get the right leading man. People — Americans — at least knew who Tarzan was, but we’ll need to get the biggest name we can to sell Doctor Who.”

“They’ll demand a Brit,” Segal said. “The BBC wouldn’t budge with Fox on that issue. And you can’t argue that point if you want something signed before the Jackson thing blows up.”

“Any suggestions?”

“You’re asking me?”

“You’re the Doctor Who expert, and you know our roster of actors.”

Despite its many shortcomings, The WB had some positive attributes. A deep roster of older male actors wasn’t among them, let alone older British actors. But one did come to mind.

“...well,” Segal said, a little wistfully, “Anthony Head would be pretty much perfect.”

“Didn’t he play the librarian on Buffy?”

“Yeah.”

“Perhaps we shouldn’t remind our viewers that UPN exists?”

Segal made a disgruntled noise in his throat. “Fair point. Anyway, fantasy casting will only jinx us at this point. You still have to get BBC Worldwide to agree to this. They’re gonna be desperate with Peter Jackson bailing on them, but not that desperate.”

* * *​

BBC NEWS: Doctor Who returns to TV
2 August, 2004.
The much-loved cult science fiction series Doctor Who is returning to TV. The revival will be a co-production with American television network The WB, whose president of entertainment David Janollari said: “Great television doesn’t come along every day, let alone great science fiction. We’re so proud to become part of this show’s history.”​
[...]​
No casting is yet available. Filming will take place in Vancouver in early 2005, with thirteen episodes to begin airing in September 2005. According to sources close to the BBC, nine further episodes may be produced for the first series.​

Last edited:
Part 02: The Top Jobs
“People often think that the BBC gave up on Doctor Who. That absolutely isn't true. I adore the real Doctor, and there are others on television who feel the same. He's scary and fantastic and more than a little funny. We tried to get him back on the screen with different proposals, but there were profound issues of money and ego at play. A negative energy became associated with the show. Doctor Who had been shopped around America for years and years, and all the stops and starts were enough to frankly drive people mad. It wasn't a jolly day when word came down that a deal had been inked. Me? I was blasé, expecting it all to fall apart yet again.”
  • Extract from an interview with Russell T Davies in the documentary Who Lost Who?

“I would say, you know, that there was interest among many of us to write for it. We were fans. It was obviously going to run at least one series. But without naming names, people made a fuss over the handling of Jackson’s film. Important people. So, we all stood back. Mark Gatiss took an amazing risk when he crossed that line, and I think he had a positive influence on the back nine episodes of series one, but it was already a very, very skewed take on Doctor Who, which should be a family show.”
  • Extract from an interview with Steven Moffat, 2011

“We’ll be moving fast, but don’t worry. I have the perfect showrunner in mind.”
  • Alleged quote by David Janollari to BBC Worldwide executives, 2004

“I’ve seen people in the business burn out from taking on too many projects. I say two things. First, learn when to say no to a job offer. That’s your obligation to the cast and crew of your current shows, and to your family too. The caveat is, you never know what will be a hit or not. David Janollari, who ran The WB at that time, offered me the first shot at Doctor Who. He was always very supportive of my work. I could trust that the network would have my back if I accepted the offer. But I’d just launched a new show, Jack & Bobby, so I passed. Now, which one of those shows got a second season? That’s how these things go sometimes.”
  • Extract from an interview with Greg Berlanti, 2015

“No, it’s true. Miles and I were asked to develop Doctor Who, since the network was fishing for a budget-conscious approach to sci-fi. Time travel is tough to do on TV since you need new sets and locations every week, with period details. Our take was basically ‘Highlander meets MacGyver’ but we never drafted a formal pitch document. We had a lot on our plates anyway, so we would’ve had to hand Smallville off to others earlier than we did.”
  • Excerpt from an interview Alfred Gough, 2011

“The 2001 pilot for Superman prequel series Smallville attracted 8.4 million viewers, a record for The WB. A sitcom vehicle for country music singer Reba McEntire would be the network's lone successful comedy series and a ratings smash hit, often landing The WB ahead of UPN and even Fox in the rankings for its time slot. Comparatively, original content like Gilmore Girls attracted critical acclaim but not big ratings. So it seemed obvious to conclude that audiences craved the familiar. Established IPs. Star-vehicles. Which probably explains why The WB greenlit a modernized Tarzan. Except just because audiences are familiar with an IP doesn't mean they necessarily want to see more of it. Tarzan was cancelled after eight episodes. However, its showrunner, Eric Kripke, was asked to pitch a new show. This is likely due to the ailing WB no longer attracting proven talent than any fondness among network executives for cop shows starring male underwear models.

“Both of Kripke’s ideas could be summarized as ‘The X-Files meets Route 66.’ The first pitch was about a female photojournalist criss-crossing the country, investigating demons infiltrating society. The WB passed. Too played out, they said. The second pitch was more or less made up on the spot. It centered on two brothers driving the backroads of Middle America, hunting the things that go bump in the dark. The WB was now intrigued, but not by the pitch itself. Kripke's fixation on monsters had caught their attention, as did the grounded tone he advocated, which would make his show stand out from contemporary WB genre hits Buffy and Charmed. Before an increasingly desperate Kripke could improvise a third pitch, the Senior Vice President of Drama Development, Susan Rovner, leaned forward. "We love the idea of you doing a horror show for us, but want something with firmer footing. Have you ever heard of an old PBS series called Doctor Who?"
  • Extract from the SF Debris special "Rebooted!" (2014)

“I had a week to write a new pitch for a show I knew absolutely nothing about. So I rushed home, but made a pit stop along the way at Suncoast — and cleaned ‘em out! The sheer range really struck me. One story might be about the Aztecs and the next about Nazi-Zombie-Vikings. I binged this box set, The Key of Time, which was kind of a mixed bag. But this black and white serial really stuck with me, where the Doctor abandons his granddaughter Susan. I thought that right there was what the whole story should have been about, not the Daleks goose stepping around London.”
  • Extract from an interview with Eric Kripke, 2019 [1]

“Anything a time-traveler does is terribly destructive to the world of the viewer. Step on the wrong butterfly and suddenly we’re all speaking German. Consider how QUANTUM LEAP had to essentially state that God was giving the hero permission to alter history. So, what should our heroes be? A corrective force. There’s a villain traveling through time, and our heroes will chase him in a crappier time machine.”
  • Extract from the Doctor Who pitch document, 2004 [2]

“The series had a very difficult birthing process. International co-productions involve a lot of back and forth between the parties involved, at all levels. The casting of the Doctor was the biggest sticking point. Everyone's working assumption was that he’d be British. That actually helped me slip all the hard rock into the script, since it shored up the idea Susan and Jack would be cast with American actors — which was actually up for debate at one point! I doubt The WB would’ve tolerated all the rock music otherwise. It’d have been wall-to-wall anemic alternative pop like usual.”
  • Extract from a Season 1 DVD interview featurette with Eric Kripke, 2006 [3]

“I remember a lot of bullshit leaks about who the Doctor would definitely be: Anthony Head, Richard E Grant, Bill Nighy, and other big names. I don’t think fans understood back then that American networks contracted actors with the expectation that the show might run six or seven seasons. That’s as long as Tom Baker played the role! 22 episodes a year wasn’t unusual, which was a major commitment, and a really stressful shooting schedule for older actors. Never mind packing up your life and family and moving to Canada.”
  • Post by IffyPrecise on the Spacebattles forums, 2017

DOCTOR WHO-EVER AT THIS POINT?
Desperate BBC struggles to cast lead role, sources say
  • Daily Mirror cover story, January 2005

During the first round of auditions the candidates performed against John Slattery, who stood in as the Doctor because that role had yet to be cast.
  • IMDB Trivia for Doctor Who

“I was playing a dad on this show, Jack & Bobby, at the time. The network president rang me up and said they needed someone who could pass as a grandfather for this big audition they were running. I told him ‘sure, no problem,’ while thinking ‘you bastard, I just look distinguished!’”
  • Extract from a Colbert Report interview with John Slattery, 2011

“It’s the rare person who can walk away from the card table after they’ve dug themselves a hole. The temptation is there, whispering in your ear, telling you can win all that money back. Well, the BBC had unwittingly staked its reputation on bringing back Doctor Who. Public enthusiasm exceeded all expectations. Yet as 2004 rolled into 2005, and the pilot’s scheduled shooting date loomed with no word on casting the Doctor, press coverage in Britain leaned more and more toward gleeful sadism. Unnamed sources leaked to the press that the new series might not even be filmed. Now, from all my research, this strikes me as either creative license for the sake of drumming up newspaper sales or a bid by the BBC to lower expectations for the final product. But the spectre of impending failure certainly didn’t entice big name British actors to the role, especially when the reboot called for an older Doctor.

So, remember what I said earlier about The WB’s loving known IPs and star-vehicles? Wouldn’t you know it, The WB had an American star on hand who was an international household name thanks to his stints on hit shows in the Eighties and Nineties. By late January 2005, with the pilot shoot fast approaching, the BBC became open to what had previously been unthinkable.”
  • Extract from the SF Debris special "Rebooted!" (2014)

“The man just filed for bankruptcy so they wouldn’t seize his ranch. Thirteen episodes pays more than a pilot that might get picked up. He’ll sign whatever we slap in front of him.”
  • Alleged quote from an executive meeting at The WB, 2005

“Not great, not terrible.”
  • Alleged reaction by BBC executives to The WB’s proposal, 2005

American-born actor Don Johnson, 55, will be the ninth Time Lord to take the Tardis when the cult sci-fi series returns to television screens in 2005. Johnson is most notable for his starring role in Miami Vice, for which he won a Golden Globe. He is also known for his work in the 1990s television drama Nash Bridges.
  • Extract from a BBC News article, 2005

The forum is temporarily closed, until tempers cool.
  • Extract from a notice on Outpost Gallifrey, 2005

“Yeah, the series was still at the nascent stage of development when they reached out to my agent. And I'd actually been scheduled to do a Jonathan Shapiro pilot for The WB, but the proposal they sent along was intriguing. Whereas shows now are all about serialized character arcs, back then it was very fresh. Like I said, of course, there wasn't much to it yet.”
  • Excerpt from an interview with Don Johnson, 2013

"I knew David Nutter very well, as I'd done testing for a number of pilots that he'd directed. He recommended me to the network for the series. And when he called me, we had a conversation about the character of Jack, and he gave me this spiel about the character and the show's themes. The first reading went pretty well. But a few days passed and I figured they'd found someone else. I'd heard things were very, uh, hectic and David would get back to me with his thanks-but-no-thanks. Then I get a call in the middle of another audition asking if I could come in for a reading in front of the network. They said they'd finally cast the Doctor. And it's Don Johnson. And I was like, oh shit. This is gonna happen. We'll go to order. Anyway, we all read in front of the network the next day and met for the first time."
  • Jensen Ackles responding to a fan question at a Doctor Who convention, 2019.

"Don had already been announced for the role, but his part was supposed to go to a Brit. It seemed obvious to swap out one of us for a young British actor. After that final audition Jensen and I were jittery waiting out in that hallway. As an actor, you should really only be nervous about making enough for rent and groceries. But when you're eighteen, nineteen you don't know better than to try to please the suits in the room, because you want to come across as a professional. So I was still trying to play it cool out in the hall. Jensen did a lot of talking, and at one point said we should get a beer together even if it didn’t work out. When I told him I wasn’t even nineteen yet, he looked like he’d swallowed his tongue. I think I threw him off his rhythm. Don slid into the conversation to ask about our characters. That was safer ground for me. We were still hashing out ideas until they called us back in.”
  • Excerpt from an interview with Leighton Meester, 2015

The simple truth is that the Vancouver series is the product of non-fans. The lack of what Segal called “kisses to the past” is the clearest evidence for this in “Pilot” (X1.1). It is an “origin” story that draws on details of “An Unearthly Child” (1.1) and “The War Games” (6.7) yet there are no jelly-babies or sonic screwdrivers in sight. We’ll leave it to the next generation of authors of books like this one to decide whether or not saving Doctor Who from fading into obscurity was worth abandoning its first principles.
  • Excerpt from “About Time 7: An Unauthorized Guide to Doctor Who” (Series 1), 2013.

The Doctor...............Don Johnson
Susan Foreman.......Leighton Meester
Jack Harrison..........Jensen Ackles
  • List of the main cast from Doctor Who, Season 1

[1] These stories would’ve (mostly) been the recent Region 1 DVD releases at the time, so they’d be the ones most likely to be in stock at a large video store if you dropped in randomly. (Before anyone asks, the Nazi thing is a reference “The Curse of Fenric.” He’s just misremembering some details years later.)

[2] This line of reasoning is based on OTL comments Kripke made about his show Timeless.

[3] Blunt admissions in DVD featurettes wouldn’t be uncommon even in the mid-2000s. Contrast the Star Wars prequel and sequel DVDs, and how the content of such special features eventually became ruthlessly vetted for the sake of image control.

Last edited:
I'm surprised they didn't go with Slattery as the Doctor--he'd have been good (imagine a Roger Sterling-type as the Doctor)...

BTW, when Johnson leaves, I do have a couple of names who could be the Doctor--either Jon Hamm or Vincent Kartheiser (Hamm and Kartheister both starred on Mad Men with Slattery; Kartheiser is already known at the WB, as he played Angel's son Connor in the last couple of seasons (1))...

(1) For fun, watch his performances in both Angel and Mad Men back to back--it's hard to believe it's the same actor...

I'm sorry I didn't notice this one sooner! Always fun to see a 2000s-era pop culture POD, and this one looks like it's going to be delightfully messy, what with an all-American Doctor Who cast showrun by Eric Kripke. Sonny Crockett as The Doctor? Stars above, they probably had to keep the Outpost Gallifrey forums shuttered for months. Fun to see SFDebris as one of the talking heads, and you make good use of (as you say) the much more candid attitude many players had in behind-the-scenes material back then. To this day I still can't believe some of the admissions in the Phantom Menace making-of featurette. He may have gone too far in a few places, indeed.

I certainly hope to see this continue! :)

unnamed.jpg

I know I'm a few months late on finding this, but I hope this gets picked back up soon.

Supernatural getting shafted in exchange for the Miami Vice guy piloting the TARDIS? This needs to be continued.

Last edited: