Watchmen has officially joined HBO’s 2019 lineup. Here’s everything to know so far about Damon Lindelof's new series.

What’s the story? Based on the graphic novel of the same name, Watchmen is set in an alternate history where “superheroes” are treated as outlaws. And while Lindelof (The Leftovers) plans to embrace the nostalgia of the original groundbreaking graphic novel, the series will also attempt to break new ground of its own. He announced his intentions earlier this spring on Instagram.

Who will I recognize? The cast includes Regina King, Jeremy Irons, Don Johnson, Jean Smart, Tim Blake Nelson, Louis Gossett Jr., Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Hong Chau, Andrew Howard, Tom Mison, Frances Fisher, Jacob Ming-Trent, Sara Vickers, Dylan Schombing, and James Wolk.

What about the music? Nine Inch Nails musicians Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross (who first worked together as film composers on The Social Network) will be creating the original music for the series.

What’s going on behind the camera? Lindelof, who will be a writer on the show, will also serve as an executive producer, alongside Nicole Kassell and Tom Spezialy. Kassell (Westworld, The Leftovers) is slated to direct the pilot episode. Additional executive producers are director Stephen Williams and Joseph Iberti. The series is produced for HBO by White Rabbit in association with Warner Bros. Television, based on characters from DC.

What should I watch while I wait? Check out The Leftovers to get a sense of Lindelof’s work on HBO, or Westworld if you are looking for another new spin on good guys vs. bad guys.

70558259_1198883083617456_1595902760774008832_n.png

I actually liked it!

It's pretty interesting, I'm definitely gonna stick with it. There's actually a discussion thread already up over in the fandom forum. Apparently the writers worked through a ton of details about how the Watchmen universe evolved, including changes in the Supreme Court from the POD on that would result in reparations. I wouldn't mind a look at the setting Bible.

It's pretty interesting, I'm definitely gonna stick with it. There's actually a discussion thread already up over in the fandom forum. Apparently the writers worked through a ton of details about how the Watchmen universe evolved, including changes in the Supreme Court from the POD on that would result in reparations. I wouldn't mind a look at the setting Bible.
Apparently it's called "peteypedia". It has some nifty documents and items.

https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia

That's supplemental stuff but I'd guess there's a stack of binders somewhere with meticulous notes and research to make the timeline consistent. Most shows with dense lore have stuff like that for the writing staff.
True. I would also guess from the work on Lost and The Leftovers, there will be a lot of flashbacks and allusion to events of the past...

I’m curious about some of the AH details. Perhaps the Soviet Union is still around in 2019?

I’m curious about some of the AH details. Perhaps the Soviet Union is still around in 2019?
I'd imagine so. One of the detectives is named Red Scare, and has an Eastern European accent. With a peace accord between the superpowers that could give the USSR a bit of breathing room to peacefully reform, although there are apparently high-level diplomatic talks about banning intrinsic field separators, so presumably there's still some level of a technology race.

Also pagers and telephones with TV screens. Apparently social media never took off in the ATL....
The PDFs on the Peteypedia page say that the squid attack coupled with the Dr. Manhattan cancer scare caused a reflexive rejection of advanced technology. It basically bankrupted Veidt Industries until the late nineties and the FBI is just starting to use networked computers in 2019.

One of the oddest commentaries about the new Watchmen (HBO-TV) series is that the series is "too political" and the disturbing point that many white viewers were shocked to learn that the 1921 Tulsa Race Riots actually took place, including the aerial bombing actually took place in OTL.

One of the oddest commentaries about the new Watchmen (HBO-TV) series is that the series is "too political" and the disturbing point that many white viewers were shocked to learn that the 1921 Tulsa Race Riots actually took place, including the aerial bombing actually took place in OTL.
Clearly the social degradation brought about by "Nixonomics" and a guns over butter foreign policy went over quite a few heads in the eighties.

Clearly the social degradation brought about by "Nixonomics" and a guns over butter foreign policy went over quite a few heads in the eighties.
And strange admiration for Rorschach by conservative die-hards like Rand Paul and Ted Cruz, and his racist, misogynistic, and homophobic beliefs,...

I’ve noticed that the show helped bring the event back into the public consciousness. A lot of newspapers/sites where running stories about the history of the actual riots after the pilot aired.

I’ve noticed that the show helped bring the event back into the public consciousness. A lot of newspapers/sites where running stories about the history of the actual riots after the pilot aired.
Esquire seemed to note the worst comments were those like:
https://www.esquire.com/entertainme...men-hbo-backlash-controversy-white-supremacy/

It's predicated on the white supremacy hoax propaganda. If you've let the media turn your feeble brain into moosh, this will serve to reinforce your delusions. If you seek truth, and can detect propaganda, this will bother you.

They took everything that was good about Watchmen and Rorschach, then defecated all over it Last Jedi style. This isn't Watchmen, it's Wokemen, sorry, Wokepersons.

They took my favorite comic series and used it as a vessel for delivering political/ ideological rhetoric. Was really looking forward to this.

Somehow a show about gritty heroes became another show pandering to the SJWs of the world and inciting race divide and preaching an agenda.

Esquire seemed to note the worst comments were those like:
https://www.esquire.com/entertainme...men-hbo-backlash-controversy-white-supremacy/

It's predicated on the white supremacy hoax propaganda. If you've let the media turn your feeble brain into moosh, this will serve to reinforce your delusions. If you seek truth, and can detect propaganda, this will bother you.

They took everything that was good about Watchmen and Rorschach, then defecated all over it Last Jedi style. This isn't Watchmen, it's Wokemen, sorry, Wokepersons.

They took my favorite comic series and used it as a vessel for delivering political/ ideological rhetoric. Was really looking forward to this.

Somehow a show about gritty heroes became another show pandering to the SJWs of the world and inciting race divide and preaching an agenda.

And what he think the original opera talk about? Just epressed naked blue man and undecided nerd?