Watchmen (HBO-TV) Series

Discussion in 'Alternate History Books and Media' started by Mr_ Bondoc, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Nivek Mental Anime,Videogames,Football And Baseball Fan

Mr_ Bondoc likes this.
  2. Born in the USSA Well-Known Member

Apparently when Laurie is on the phone broadcasting to Manhattan Amazon Prime lists an actor for him even if he doesn't speak or appear at all, I can't remember who it was. Also, I have a theory that Manhattan's appearance in the trailer where he picks up a Manhattan mask is actually from Angela's Vietnamese childhood flashback, given that he's wearing a full suit and apparently the flashback takes place during a Manhattan themed parade likely celebrating Vietnamese statehood.

3. CJD Well-Known Member

I’m interested in the idea that there are phone booths scattered across the country where people can send messages to Doctor Manhattan, it sounds almost religious in nature.
    I’m also curious if there’s been any Mars missions, manned or unmanned in this TL given Manhattan’s presence there.

4. Sunstone77 Well-Known Member

Seeing as Laurie had to punch in some kind of code before the call went through, I'm guessing they're part of a wider video phone booth network across the country and there just happens to be a number you can call to send messages to Manhattan the same way there is numbers kids can call to talk to the "real Santa"

As for Mars missions, it doesn't seem like anyone has a big presence in space beyond satellites. Nixon OTL wasn't the biggest fan of the space program and I could see him strangling it early in his presidency. I could see after the Squid attack there being a rejection of space exploration by the public out of fear of more attacks and a huge cut to NASA's budget to rebuild New York and as punishment for failing to detect the attack (even though it wasn't their fault)

Danthefan28, Born in the USSA and CJD like this.
  5. Mr_ Bondoc Member

Something that was noted in the first episode and never brought up is how John F. Kennedy and his Administration have seemingly been erased from the history books. I am wondering what happened since 1963 to make this happen...

6. Born in the USSA Well-Known Member

Are you sure? I think the girls mention Kennedy and Johnson during the dinner scene. Of course that didn't stop most people from missing Ford's name too and thinking that Redford was therefore on term 8 instead of 7.

Nivek likes this.
  7. Mr_ Bondoc Member

Actually, we are both right, both issues were mentioned by Screen Rant:

https://screenrant.com/watchmen-show-premiere-unanswered-questions/

Nivek likes this.
  8. Mr_ Bondoc Member

Danthefan28 and CJD like this.
  9. Mr_ Bondoc Member

Here is the latest, and probably the weirdest character created in Tulsa, Oklahoma,... "Lube Man"! And believe me when I say that I was shocked when I say it:

CJD and Danthefan28 like this.
  10. Danthefan28 Well-Known Member

Lube Man is the hero Tulsa deserves... Just really not the one it needs. Also I don't know why, but I was literally hoping he would make Zoidberg sounds

CJD and Mr_ Bondoc like this.
  11. Mr_ Bondoc Member

Apparently the "Prepper" movement of the 1970s/ 1980s gave way to "Squid Shelter" after the events of November 2, 1985:

And it was a giant squid, not Doctor Manhattan,...

CJD likes this.
  12. Sunstone77 Well-Known Member

I imagine after the New York attack, preppers were feeling very validated about their paranoia.

And minor tangent, but always felt like the Squid was the weakest part of the original comic. A single attack on an American city doesn’t feel like it would have the same uniting power as the simultaneous attacks on multiple international cities from the movie

Mr_ Bondoc likes this.
  13. Mr_ Bondoc Member

Consider these links from Peteypedia. The first is a little more back story, flagging the historical implications of the TL, while commenting on the American Hero Story :

https://www.hbo.com/content/dam/hbodata/series/watchmen/peteypedia/05/memo-internal-affairs.pdf

Yes, Nostalgia, which was mentioned in the original series, is also now a memory drug:
    https://www.hbo.com/content/dam/hbodata/series/watchmen/peteypedia/05/nostalgia-ad.jpg

And yes, there is a pamphlet, if you have Extra-Dimensional Anxiety (EDA):
    https://www.hbo.com/content/dam/hbo...edia/05/extra-dimensional-anxiety-and-you.pdf

CJD likes this.
  14. CJD Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    The big squid himself.

BasiloneZaitsev and Danthefan28 like this.
  15. Born in the USSA Well-Known Member

Although the psychic wave was strongest at ground zero, Veidt does mention "sensitives" all over the world will be affected. We don't know their percentage of the total global population but presumable that contributed.

Mr_ Bondoc likes this.
  16. 245 Well-Known Member

can I just mention how I like that the show is deconstructing more of silver age comic tropes like the comic did while showing that haveing super heroes in the real world is a bad thing.

Nivek and Mr_ Bondoc like this.
  17. Sunstone77 Well-Known Member

Big boy!

A kinda dark but hilarious food for though but after the Squid attack and subsequent squidfalls, people might start thinking Lovecraft was on to something with Cthulhu

Historyman 14, CJD and Nivek like this.
  18. Nivek Mental Anime,Videogames,Football And Baseball Fan

Take Note Snyder, that is how you do it, that guy was a cancer for comic books movies, specially warner ones

CJD likes this.
  19. Mr_ Bondoc Member

I am just thinking Damon Lindelof dropped the mike here. This is how you tell the story!!

Nivek likes this.
  20. Nivek Mental Anime,Videogames,Football And Baseball Fan

Excatly, he could have do a terrific movie or series of the original too