Wasteland Memories: Photos from the Fallout Universe

image.jpg

Rare photo of Times Square, taken shortly before the start of the energy crisis.

View attachment 878952
A rare color photo of Los Angeles, California, Southwest Commonwealth on the morning of October 23, 2077. Los Angeles was hit by several nuclear bombs during the Great War. The photo was likely taken by passenger or crew of a plane, helicopter or vertibird as it was evacuating the city prior to the nuclear strikes on the LA area.

Note: A billboard advertising Vault-Tec can be seen in the lower central part of this picture.

Photo not mine, taken from the trailer of Amazon Prime Video's Fallout TV series.

Nuke Fallout LA2.png

Another color photo of Los Angles, California, Southwest Commonwealth on the morning of October 23, 2077. This photo was taken from either one of the wealthier parts of the city or from a Hollywood set on the outskirts of the city.

Nuke Fallout LA3.png

A man rescuing a child from the blast from the same area.

Taken from the Official Fallout TV series trailer.

Here is another song that highlights the fear of environmental collapse that existed in the 2060s, just as the Resource Riots started reaching their peak:

Here is the 2058 single "Africa" by the duo of Casey Abrams and Snuffy Walden:

Also check out the 2054 single "If You Want to Be My" Lover" by the Spice Girls:

To flag that tensions were still pretty rough with the Roman Catholic Church, consider the controversy surrounding the "Catholic Cardio (a.k.a. "The Vatican Rag") " in 2065, 12 years before the Vaults were sealed in the United States and Europe:

Also, contrary to popular opinion, swearing was actually popular throughout the 20th/21st centuries. For instance, consider the hit song "Walk Like a Douche, For the Rest of My Life"

Last edited:
Fallout Empire State.png

A photo of the Empire State Building in the ruins of New York City (often called the Empire Wasteland) around 200 years after the Great War in 2277.

Explorers and scientists were surprised to see the building still standing despite all the damage.

They set themselves up as Warlords/surviving govts as per the rest of the American states.

There really should be communities and post-war states that are mixed American-Canadian since Canada had long been part of the US before the bombs (willingly or not) and survival will be more important than nationality post apocalypse.

Add 210 years and what nationality someone’s ancestors were only probably matters to the Enclave.

Given the number of national rivalries alive and kicking after twice that long in our own timeline, one can only call this a rather optimistic assumption (Especially given that Canada appears to have been violently occupied only a decade or so before the Bombs fell).

In terms of plot hooks, I'd argue that a three-way cycle of struggles between Canada-Canadians, French Canadians and US-Canadians over the non-glowing bits of the Great White North would be far more interesting than a 'Well it was long ago and nobody really cared anyway' approach to things: you could certainly mine some black comedy gold from a scenario in which the US-Canadian border is just as friendly as the US-Mexican (Especially if Americans from the formerly-United States are smuggling themselves into Canada, looking for a better life, at exactly the same time that Canadians are sneaking into the former USA is search of richer prospects: "The grass is always greener on the other side" makes a pretty good punchline when that green is Fallout Green).