Washington Burns: A Story of Alternate America

Now for my comments.

I thought that the Nolan Presidency was very interesting, especially with the increasing tensions with China, the new North American alliance, the new counterculture. the twists and deadlock with the 1954 election and the breakup of the Russian and Ottoman Empires. However, it was very bad that homophiles and Asians were being persecuted throughout the USA and the Americas, but hopefully things will get better in the future with the Lincoln Presidency. It seems like America in this world's 1950s is a country and society trying to discover itself amidst a culture war, with some wanting to go back to before the war and others wanting to move towards a new future.

I also enjoyed the Christmas interlude, and it was interesting reading about what Christmas traditions are like in this world compared to ours.

Keep up the great work! Can't wait for the next update.

The China situation is going to stabilize a smidge during the Priest Administration, but there are more bumps in the road.

As far as persecution of minority groups go....things have generally been positive in this TL, but things have plenty of ups and downs so this fit pretty well with what was going on.

And yes, the country is definitely trying to find itself. And its not an easy, simple path to figure that out, hence the rocky road of late.

LOVE the newest pictures, by the way. Thanks for doing them :)

------

So, behind schedule on the next update. I DID get it all outlined finally. Hoping to get things done soon, but school starts back too so we shall see. Fingers crossed!

So, finally caught up here. And, well, I'm unsure of how to feel about this, frankly. Nolan is an ass, but aside from his campaign against homophiles and some other parts, he feels like he's just blowing a lot of hot air to me? I dunno.

Still, it was as enjoyable as ever.

So, finally caught up here. And, well, I'm unsure of how to feel about this, frankly. Nolan is an ass, but aside from his campaign against homophiles and some other parts, he feels like he's just blowing a lot of hot air to me? I dunno.

Still, it was as enjoyable as ever.

Well, some politicians thrive on blowing hot air. :p

So just wanted to give a quick shout-out to @TheBatafour and @AlternateHistory191 for nominating and seconding this TL for the Turtledove category of "Best Colonialism and Revolutions Era Timeline." It's an honor to be nominated, and I'm very thankful.

Hoping to do some writing on the TL this weekend if all goes well (fingers crossed). Had a move last weekend and started grad school so things have been a bit out of sync, but hoping to get back into a steady normal rhythm before too long.

Well it's taken a bit longer to get caught up and get things back in a regular routine. Writing tonight and have a three day weekend so I'm going to try and take advantage of that as well. Just wanted to let you know that I hadn't forgotten about this :)

I am considering stoping once I cover the Lincoln presidency. I have some vague points plotted out past her presidency, but not a lot, and with grad school going on and a second move pending this summer....I'm not sure how much free time I'll have, and I am wanting to focus on some actual story writing (in this TL, and others).

Thoughts?

I respect what ever decision you make for this tl however I would love to see this tl expand in to at least the year 2000. I don't mind waiting for this wonderful tl.

Chapter 35: The Priest Presidency, 1955-1960, Part 1
--- The Priest Presidency (1955-1961) ---

HOUSE TO VOTE ON PRESIDENCY TODAY
FRANKLIN - The House of Representatives will gather today to vote on who will become the thirty-third president of the United States, bringing an end to one of the most contentious presidential election cycles in modern American history. For the first time since 1834, the members of the House will decide who moves in to Washington House later this month. While the Nationalists have the largest number of seats in the House, they are technically outnumbered by the other three parties combined. However, when the House votes on the results of the presidential election, representatives vote as a single state or district, meaning that the winning candidate will have to win over 21 of the 41 state delegations in order to become the next president.
Currently, the Nationalists dominate 22 state delegations, 16 of which they control entirely, making is seem as though the odds are in favor of making Timothy Priest the next President of the United States. Further adding to Mr. Priest’s odds is the fact that neither the Communalists nor the Liberals have shown any sign of a willingness to back the other’s candidate in order to defeat Priest.
“House to Vote on Presidency Today,” Franklin Observer, January 3, 1955.

---
PRIEST WINS ON FOURTH BALLOT
FRANKLIN - After casting four separate ballots, the House of Representatives finally chose Vice President Timothy Priest as the next President of the United States, in a vote of 23-19. In the first ballot, 18 states voted for Priest, 7 voted for New York Representative Vance Granger of the CPUS, and 6 for Liberal Katherine Potter, Representative from Oregon, with 10 states abstaining, due to their members refusing to agree on a candidate to support. On the second ballot, Priest jumped to 20 states in support, one short of the number needed to win, with 8 states going for Granger and 8 going for Potter, with 4 abstentions. Finally, on the third ballot, the makeup of things shifted a bit, with Priest remaining at 20, Granger at 12, Potter at 5, with two abstentions. In the end, the election came down to the representatives from the state of Iowa, which had abstained on the first three ballots but finally decided to go with Priest on the fourth and final ballot.
“Priest Wins on Fourth Ballot,” Brooklyn Standard, January 4, 1955.

---
HOUSE MEMBERS REFUSE TO SEAT PIKE
FRANKLIN - Following through on a threat that circulated during the campaign, senior Nationalist members of the House have issues a public statement demanding that Speaker Stitt refuse to seat Representative-elect Jesse Pike. Nationalist Representative Peter McCall of Missouri, who is a close personal friend of First Secretary Stitt, is leading this group, and says that Pike’s “open flaunting of an immoral life-style means that he is unfit to serve in the hallowed halls of the United States Congress, and I call on Mr. Stitt to refuse Mr. Pike’s entry into the Chamber. Representative Lewis Sneed, who chairs the House Ethics Committee, has also signed his name to this statement.
A spokesperson for Representative-Elect Pike told the Eagle that “Mr. Pike campaigned on a promise to represent all citizens of the Massachusetts First Congressional District with fairness and treat each individual with respect, and make sure that the values of the Greater Boston Area are reflected properly in Franklin. Any attempt to block his entry into the House will be opposed, if necessary by the Communalist Party as a whole.”
“House Members Refuse to Seat Pike,” Boston Eagle, January 9, 1955.

---
STITT RECONFIRMED AS FIRST SECRETARY
FRANKLIN - Having gained thirteen seats in last November’s election, now just nine seats shy of an absolute majority, the Nationalists were able to keep Corey Stitt, the representative from the Eighth Congressional District of Missouri, as the Speaker of the House and First Secretary of the United States. Stitt has served as First Secretary since 1951, and was the first Nationalist to hold that post since Zachary Chambers of Oregon held that post at the end of the King Administration, from 1935-1937. Stitt has been a vocal supporter of President Nolan’s policies and is likely to continue to work well with incoming President Timothy Priest.
The First Secretary already has a bit of a scandal brewing, however, since he announced two days ago that he was going to support a recommendation from the House Ethics Committee to bar the entry of Representative-elect Jesse Pike of Massachusetts, on the grounds that his openness at being a homophile breaks the House’s moral code-of-conduct. The Homophile Society of America has already promised to take Stitt and the House leadership to court over the issue, and there may be further backlash from Pike’s fellow communalists and from the State of Massachusetts.
“Stitt Reconfirmed as First Secretary,” Chicago Herald, January 12, 1955.

---
When First Secretary Stitt sided with the House Ethics Committee and barred Pike from taking his seat, the Homophilic Society of America and indeed most of Boston cried foul. The HSA immediately went into action to help the Pike Campaign sue Stitt and the committee members, demanding that the “duly-elected representative from the Massachusetts First Congressional District be allowed to take his seat in the House. At first, Stitt and his colleagues in the Nationalist Party stood firm. But then, on January 20th, Massachusetts Governor Hillary Coburn threatened to join the legal suit, and also called on all of Massachusetts congressional delegation to walk out of both the House and the Senate in protest, which they did on February 1st. Then the following day, the Communalist Party of the United States announced that all 156 CPUS representatives would walk out of the House Chamber and refuse to return until Pike was seated, which put the likelihood of the Nationalists maintaining a quorum in serious jeopardy if the Federalists and Liberals joined the walkout, and there were rumors flying that just such an action would take place. Bowing to pressure from the other representatives and ultimately from Washington House, Stitt announced on February 5th that he would allow Pike to take his seat, making him the first openly homophilic member of the House of Representatives.
Yandell, Avery. The Jesse Pike Story. Boston: New Love Press, 2001.

---
PRIEST INAUGURATED AMID PROTESTS
FRANKLIN - Timothy Priest took the oath of office yesterday in front of a crowd of over fifteen thousand people, in addition to the millions who were watching live via telecinema. Chief Justice Benjamin Burton swore in the nation’s thirty-third chief executive on the south steps of the Congress Hall while the nation’s capital enjoyed unusually warm weather, with temperatures reaching nearly fifty degrees, with hardly a cloud in the sky. After taking the oath, newly-minted President Priest took to the podium to address the nation.
“America has taken part in that most sacred of our secular traditions, voting for our leaders, reminding the world that our government is a government of the people. Our Constitution begins with this very phrase, “We the People.” Not “We the Congress,” or “We the Rulers,” or We the Courts.” And now, as the chosen representative of the people, it is my goal to see that the will of the People is carried out. Our values and way of life have been challenged these past few decades, and what the People desire now is a return to normalcy. My great predecessor and friend James Nolan began this work, and I intend to see it through.”
Nolan’s inauguration is not without controversy, being the first president in modern times to have been chosen by the House of Representatives, and takes office with more people having voted against him and than for him. Off Congress Square there were at least five hundred loud and angry protestors, many who say they belong to the CPUS, decrying Priest’s inauguration as a farce.
“Priest Inaugurated Amid Protests,” St. Louis Courier, January 15, 1955.

---
BOREALIAN DEBATE ON COMMONWEALTH HEATS UP
VICTORIA - Federation Party Leader Thomas Mendenhall has been traveling across the Kingdom of Borealia speaking on behalf of the “no” campaign, which is hoping to have the country to our north reject joining the new British Commonwealth that was approved in Australia last year. The leaders of Great Britain and the other dominions announced that a third Imperial conference will be held this fall to draft what amounts to a constitution for the newly restructured British Empire, and Mendenhall and his party believe that Borealia should have no part of it.
“Our nation has grown these past hundred years, and no longer do we need to be tied to Britain. We should follow our own path that we have been developing. We are closer now to the United States and California and Texas and Mexico, and that is where we should be putting our energies.” Mr. Mendenhall said to a crowd of people gathered at a rally in Victoria. The message seemed to connect with those listening to the speech, as they roared loudly in agreement.
Borealian Prime Minister Patricia Meeker has been trying to change voters minds in favor of the “yes” campaign, but has had little luck. Latest polling suggest nearly 60% of Borealians plan on voting against the Imperial Commonwealth in the referendum next month. There had been discussions about trying to have King William V come to the dominion to speak on behalf of the “yes” campaign, but Whitehall Palace said that the British sovereign would not interfere in the election process of his subjects.
“Borealian Debate on Commonwealth Heats Up,” Franklin Observer, February 3, 1955.

---
On March 6th, 1955, the citizens of the Kingdom of Borealia, the oldest free dominion in the British Empire, went to the polls to decide the future of their relationship with Great Britain and the rest of the world-wide empire. It was a cold day across most of the country, but turnout was estimated at nearly 70% of the electorate. In the end, all the polls that had been conducted in the months leading up to the referendum turned out to be true. Borealians rejected membership in the new Imperial Commonwealth, 58% to 42%. It was a devastating loss for King William V and British Prime Minister Henrietta Dudley and their plan for the restructuring of the British Empire. Some feared that South Africa, and possibly India as well, would have second thoughts about the new commonwealth and follow Borealia’s example. In the end this did not happen, but there were many months of back and forth negotiations between Whitehall and various dominions and colonies.
In Borealia, the political cost for Meeker was enormous. There were immediate calls in the House of Commons for her to resign, which she refused to do. There was even talk of a vote of no-confidence, or even a snap election. However, with the regularly scheduled election already set for September of that year, other politicians argued against any rash action, and to let “nature take its course” come the fall, and that’s exactly what happened.
Cherry, Dr. Mathilda. God Save Our Commonwealth. London: Imperial Publishers, 2012.

---
REP. HAYWORTH INTRODUCES NEW GUN REGULATIONS
FRANKLIN - Massachusetts Representative Quentin Hayworth has introduced a new bill that would introduce a slew of new regulations on gun ownership across the country. In his announcement of the new legislation, Hayworth stated that this was in reaction to the murder of Liberal Party Presidential Candidate Neil Phillips just before last year’s election. “That mad-man should never have been able to buy a gun.” Hayworth told reporters outside his office. “Phillips was shot down in cold blood by a fanatic with a pistol. In this modern era, there is no reason for private person to carry around tools of murder.”
Mr. Hayworth’s proposed law would call for the ban on the private ownership of most forms of handguns, with exceptions being put in place for former members of the military and police. The law would not affect rifles and other guns used for hunting. If passed, the law would empower the FSS to confiscate all existing handguns via a buy-back program, and strictly regulate the manufacture and distribution of such weapons in the future. It is likely that the Liberals and CPUS will support the law. If the two parties in opposition to President Priest’s fellow Nationalists can bury the hatchet from the 1954 presidential election, there is a real possibility that they could get this bill through both Houses of Congress. Most Nationalists have said that this proposal is too far, though they would be open to some form of increased regulation and modest restrictions on handgun ownership.
If passed, this would be the most drastic change in gun regulations in the United States since the establishment of the FSS Gun Registry in 1911, which occured in the wake of the Dixiana Rebellion.
“Rep. Hayworth Introduces New Gun Regulations,” Chicago Herald, March 29, 1955.

---
TEXANS ELECT FEDERATIONALIST LANDSBERG AS PRESIDENT
TEXOPOLIS - In what seems to be a continent-wide trend, conservative Federationalist candidate Benjamin Landsberg has won the Texan presidential election, defeating incumbent Gloria Lopez of the Labor Party, and also Simon Perez of the Republican Party. Landsberg is only the second Federation Party member to win election in Texas since the turn of the century, and has promised to scale back Labor Party programs that he says have been draining the coffers of the Texas Federation dry. Landsberg and his fellow Federationalists have been advocating for years for more control at the provincial level, instead of giving more power to the government in Texopolis, as both Labor and Republican politicians have been in favor of.
“Texans Elect Federationalist Landsberg as President,” St. Louis Courier, April 12, 1955.

---
ZEPPELIN ANNOUNCES PLANS FOR CRUISE AIRSHIP
NEU FRANKFURT, TXF - The Zeppelin Company, once known for their gigantic airships that carried passengers around the world, but is today better known for their Z-202 passenger planes used by their airline, Zeppelin Airways, along with several other airlines, has announced plans for creating a new line of airships designed for pleasure cruises in the Caribbean and elsewhere. Company president Otto Kinder, who’s leadership since 1937 has been credited with saving the company in the rough post-war years, announced the bold new plan at the company’s famous airship construction hangars outside Neu frankfurt. “When Ferdinand Zeppelin first founded this company sixty years ago, he had a dream of revolutionizing the world with the creation of propelled flight. Today we want to carry on that legacy in a new direction, breathing new life into the giant, graceful ships that he helped to create.”
According to documents released to the press, construction on the first “air-cruiseship” will begin sometime later this year, with plans to have the first cruise sometime in 1957.
“Zeppelin Announces Plans for Cruise Airship,” New Orleans Star, April 29, 1955.

---
NAU REPRESENTATIVES ARRIVE IN HANOI TO MEET WITH CHINESE COUNTERPARTS
HANOI - The Kingdom of Vietnam is playing host to one of the most anticipated meetings of the decade, as Special Councilor Benjamin McCormick, representing the North American Union, sits down with Chinese Foreign Minister Tu Fan to discuss a way towards peace in East Asia between the Empire of China and North America. President Priest told a crowd at a speech just before McCormick departed that, “We must have peace in Asia, and I fully support the Union’s goal to end the tension and pseudo-hostility that has existed between America and China the past few decades. We both have sun-bombs now, and any extensive use of them would be catastrophic for everyone.”
It remains unclear just what sort of outcome will be achieved during these talks. At the very least, creating a working dialogue for future negotiations seems plausible. Beyond that, it depends on the willingness of Union member governments, and also on how much China’s emperor is open to setting a new tone towards America.
“NAU Representatives Arrive in Hanoi to Meet with Chinese Counterparts,” Astoria Dispatch, May 3, 1955.

---
PRIEST SILENT AS GUN DEBATE CONTINUES
FRANKLIN - The debate over the Hayworth Gun Act, sometimes also referred to as the Hayworth Handgun Ban, continues to rage in the House, though a vote is expected sometime later this summer. At this point, it’s an even bet as to whether or not it will pass. The CPUS has given it their full support, but some Liberals are on the fence. The Nationalists are mostly opposed. Curiously, President Priest has remained very silent on the issue. When asked, the president has repeatedly told reporters something along the lines of “I don’t care to interfere with a congressional debate this intense until it has at least passed one of the houses.” Some political experts speculate that the President doesn’t want to be seen contradicting something that was written in response to the death of his political opponent during last year’s close presidential race, especially since the murder of Phillips likely handed Priest the election.
Despite the silence coming from Washington House, other prominent Nationalist Party members, including Vice President Herschell Morton, who told a crowd at a banquet last week that, “The Second Amendment guarantees all Americans the right to own firearms. This includes handguns. I have no problem regulating weapons, as they are by their nature dangerous. But to outright ban weapons of this nature is unconstitutional and I will not stand for it.”
“Priest Silent as Gun Debate Continues,” Boston Eagle, May 15, 1955.

---
CHINA’S TU FAN: THE EMPEROR WANTS PEACE, SO PEACE THERE SHALL BE
HANOI - China’s Foreign Minister Tu Fan, at the conclusion of the month-long talks between the North American Union and the Chinese Empire, told those gathered that “China wishes for peach. The Emperor wishes for peace. So, peace there shall be, if you will work with us in this goal for the greater good of humanity.” HIs remarks were met with applause from the American, Chinese, and Vietnamese dignitaries attending the closing of the conference at the Royal Palace in Hanoi. During the past month, Minister Fan and Special Councilor McCormick have hammered out several key initiatives and agreements that they both hope will foster peace between North American and China. These include an intercultural exchange program between the two powers, along with opening a permanent dialogue between military commands to try and prevent war. There has also been discussion about high-level state visits between American and Chinese leaders, though no definitive details have as of yet emerged.
“China’s Tu Fan: Emperor Wants Peace, So Peace There Shall Be,” St. Louis Courier, June 20, 1955.

---
MCCORMICK, FAN AGREE TO MORE TALKS IN HAWAII
HANOI - Special Councilor Benjamin McCormick, who is the head of the NAU China Commission, told reporters as he boarded his plane to return to the United States that he and Foreign Minister Fan have agreed to hold new talks sometime in the near future, this time in the Kingdom of Hawaii. If this were to occur, it would be the first time that a high-level Chinese official were to visit any member of the North American Union since the war.
“McCormick, Fan Agree to More Talks in Hawaii,” New Orleans Star, June 23, 1955.

---
FEDERALISTS WILL HOLD SPECIAL CONVENTION IN 1956
BOSTON - Massachusetts Representative Peter Berber, the longest serving Federalist member in the House, has announced that he and his 10 remaining Federalist representative colleagues have scheduled an “all-party conference” for next summer, to discuss the future of the Federalist Party, which has suffered massive electoral defeat over the past few decades.
“Smith and Hughes only got 21 electoral votes last November. We have no Federalist senators and only 10 representatives, myself included.” Berber said during our interview. “We have a long history, and this isn’t the first time we’ve been at the brink, but this may be different than things were over a century ago, and we need to have an honest conversation about that. I do not want our party to cling to life and hurt the overall political system.”
“Federalists Will Hold Special Convention in 1956,” Boston Eagle, July 1, 1955.

---
UER FOREIGN SECRETARY TO VISIT THE US
STRASSBURG - For the first time ever, the Foreign Secretary of the Union of European Republics will visit the United States, scheduled for next summer. Georg Bourbon has served as UER Foreign Secretary since 1949, and many see him as a likely candidate to replace Chancellor Armand Pascall when his term ends in 1958. Bourbon is somewhat of a legendary figure in European politics, and has ties to North America, having been raised and educated in Texas and the United States. He is also the only son of the last King of Bavaria, and his half brother is King Philip VII of France-in-Corsica, the last remnant of the Bourbon Dynasty. As a young man, Georg Bourbon became a Communalist, and went to Europe to volunteer for the UER during the Global War, prior to American entry into the conflict. He became a naturalized UER citizen in 1939 and has been active in public service since then.
President Priest has been skeptical about having “too cordial a relationship with foreign communalists,” but Washington House officials have stated that the administration supports this visit as part of a broader strategy to stabilize relations worldwide. U.S. Secretary of State Bernard Pendleton may also visit the UER sometime in the near future as well.
“UER Foreign Secretary to Visit the US,” Brooklyn Standard, July 10, 1955.

---
MEEKER’S ROYALIST LABOR LOSES ELECTION - MENDENHALL LIKELY TO REPLACE HER
VICTORIA - In a surprise to no one, the Borealian Royalist Labor party suffered a major electoral defeat in yesterday’s election, a direct result of the referendum on the new Imperial Commonwealth earlier this year. Prime Minister Patricia Meeker, who campaigned for the “yes” vote that was ultimately defeated, told reporters after the results were in that, “the people have spoken, not once, but twice. I congratulate the Federation Party on their win, and wish them luck in governance. It has been my privilege to serve as Prime Minister of His Majesty’s oldest dominion these past five years, and to be the first woman in our country to do so.”
The conservative Federation Party, which has not held power since 1920, won 58% of the vote last night, compared to 25% won by the Liberal Party, and the meager 12% won by Meeker’s Royalist Labor Party. Thomas Mendenhall, the head of the Federationalists, is now set to become the Kingdom of Borealia’s 13th Prime Minister. When asked what his plans were with regards to the future of the country not joining the new Imperial Commonwealth, Mendenhall has repeatedly stated that he plans to work with the mother country to come up with a plan that is as agreeable as possible with both nations.
“Meeker’s Royalist Labor Loses Election - Mendenhall Likely to Replace Her,” Manhattan Gazette, September 25, 1955.

---
UNIV. OF THE U.S. UNVEILS FIRST AMERICAN MADE ELECTRONIC COMPUTER
FRANKLIN - Scientists and engineers at the University of the United States have announced that they have created their own electronic computing machine, the first to be made outside of the UER, which created the first such machine in 1949. University President Gage Eaton told the press that, “Today, our American ingenuity has liberated us from the need to look to foreign inventors for the latest and greatest. Our own electronic computer, built and designed by Americans.” Project leader Joshua Lowell has indicated that his team will work with other universities across the country and the NAU to build more of these machines, and to work on perfecting their new design going forward.
“Univ. of the U.S. Unveils First American-Made Electronic Computer,” Boston Eagle, October 3, 1955.

---
NEW BOREALIAN PM FLOATS IDEA OF SEPARATE MONARCHY
VICTORIA - Borealian Prime Minister Thomas Mendenhall issued a bold proposal today before the House of Commons, calling for the creation of a separate monarchy, effectively severing all ties between Borealia and Britain. Since the referendum, the most radical proposal anyone had suggested was to sever all other political ties with the British Empire, but to stay in “personal union” with the British Monarchy.
“We are forever grateful to the mother country for what it has given us, civilization, stability, and prosperity, but it is time we continue to go on our own path, separate and equal to that of Britain and the rest of this new commonwealth our cousins our building.” Mendenhall went on to outline his plan, which would set up a committee to find a suitable monarch, likely from the House of Orange line. Once the committee found such a person, Parliament would vote and either accept the recommendation or continue the search.
“New Borealian PM Floats Idea of Separate Monarchy,” Franklin Observer, November 10, 1955.

---
NASA TO TEST NEW ROCKET FOR FUTURE SATELLITE LAUNCH NEXT YEAR
ST. AUGUSTINE - The North American Space Administration has announced that their new rocket design, the AR-5, will be ready for its first test sometime next year, with hopes to put a man-made satelite into space by late 1956 or early 1957. NASA Commander Julius Portage said in the announcement, “Space is the new frontier for our people, and we will reach it with our first steps by the end of the decade.”
“NASA to Test New Rocket for Future Satellite Launch Next Year,” New Orleans Star, December 1, 1955.

---
VICE PRESIDENT MORTON WILL ATTEND CHINA TALKS IN HAWAII
FRANKLIN - Washington House announced today that Vice President Herschell Morton will attend the upcoming NAU-China summit in Honolulu which has been set for this fall. This will be the highest level American official to meet with the Chinese since the end of the Global War in the Pacific. “Peace in the Pacific is a top priority to this government,” Priest told reporters when he made the announcement. “We want to show the Chinese that we are taking these talks very seriously and are hoping for a good outcome.”
It is possible, in light of this announcement, that China might send a higher ranking official, possibly directly from the Imperial Court. In addition, other Union members may decide to send senior officials of their own to further signify the importance of these continued talks.
“Vice President Morton Will Attend China Talks in Hawaii,” Chicago Herald, January 25, 1956.

---
MEXICAN PRIME MINISTER HAS ANNOUNCED HE WILL NOT STAND FOR REELECTION
MEXICO CITY - Mexican Prime Minister Felix Moya of the Imperial Reform Party, has announced that he will resign as Prime Minister after the next election, opening the door for a new leader from his party to take charge. That is, of course, assuming Imperial Reform, a centrist party, continues to hold power after the upcoming election this April. Sofia Vera, leader of the New Labor Party, hopes to challenge that assumption. “We have not had a New Labor Prime Minister since 1932, and it is high time that we shake things up in Mexico City and bring about real, liberal changes.”
“Mexican Prime Minister Has Announced He will Not Stand For Reelection,” Brooklyn Standard, February 3, 1956.

---
CONGRESS NARROWLY PASSES HAYWORTH GUN BILL
FRANKLIN - With a narrow margin of 42-38, the Senate voted today to approve the Hayworth Gun Bill, which passed the House last week, 253 to 247. The CPUS and the Liberal Party have made common cause to combat what their members see as a major public safety crisis. Bill author Quentin Hayworth, a Liberal from Massachusetts, introduced the bill last year in reaction to the assassination of Liberal Party Presidential Candidate Neil Phillips, the former Mayor of Boston. “That madman should not have had that handgun. It’s as simple as that. In this modern day and age, civilians have no need for handguns. That is why we have a police force.”
The bill sets up a fund to buy/confiscate all privately owned handguns in the United States, except for those owned by former military or police members. The American Arms Association, or Triple A, as they’re more commonly known, has promised to fight the bill in the courts. William Dupree, president of the association, told the press that, “the Hayworth bill is unconstitutional. Even back in the Roosevelt v. United States Case in 1910, the Supreme Court set up the precedent that outright bans or strict limitations on firearms wasn’t allowed.” Many law experts disagree, pointing to the part in the 1910 ruling where the Supreme Court specifically ruled that weapons “whose sole purpose is to kill or maim a human being” can be restricted.
“Congress Narrowly Passes Hayworth Gun Bill,” Boston Eagle, February 27, 1956.

---
In a shock to many, both within his own party and in the larger public, President Priest signed the controversial Hayworth Gun Bill into law on March 1st of 1956. Although he did not say so at the time, later private papers and interviews with those close to him point to a man who was privately tormented by the events of October 1954, when his biggest rival for the presidency was gunned down by, as so many pro-bill politicians put it, “a madman with a handgun.” It would appear that signing the bill was a piece of personal atonement, as the person who shot and killed Neil Phillips had been a supporter of Priest.
The new law would go into effect on September 1, 1959, giving the government a little over three years to begin the buy-back program and start the confiscation process of nearly all privately owned handguns, save only those owned by former service members and police personnel. Protests broke out in Franklin and in many western states, demanding the bill be overturned. Awkwardly, Attorney General Alan Jones, who did not support the bill, was now under orders from Washington House to defend it when court challenges came. And came they did. Triple A filed suit against the government within days, and the case wound its way through the lower courts until finally being heard by the Supreme Court in 1958. In Dupree vs. United States, the Supreme Court ruled 6-3 that the Hayworth Bill was constitutional. Chief Justice Raymond Cross, in writing for the majority opinion in the ruling, stated, “The legal precedent set in 1910 is clear. Utilitarian weapons that can be used for hunting and sport are a separate issue from weapons whose only purpose is to maim and kill. The second amendment was clearly designed to provide the United States with a well regulated militia. Private ownership of handguns is in no way related to having a militia.”
Jacobs, Dr. Benjamin. The Story of the Second Amendment. Franklin: UUS Press House, 2012.

---
BOREALIAN PARLIAMENT VOTES IN FAVOR OF SEPARATE MONARCHY
VICTORIA - In a landslide vote, the Borealian Parliament has voted in favor of creating a separate monarchy, backing a proposal from Prime Minister Mendenhall which would permanently sever Borealia from the British Empire. Under the new act, the government will set up a “regency committee” which shall begin a search for a new monarch. The law passed by parliament sets a deadline of one year, though most MPs hope to have the search done long before that deadline. “If all goes according to how we hope, we will crown our first independent King or Queen next May,” Prime Minister Mendenhall told reporters after the vote.
“Borealian Parliament Votes in Favor of Separate Monarchy,” Manhattan Gazette, April 6, 1956.

---
Following the historic vote on April 5, 1956, the Borealian government set to work finding a new monarch. Although it was not officially part of the Separation Act, the Borealian Regency Committee decided it would try and stay within the House of Orange, the royal house that ruled Britain. This really meant looking at the siblings and children of King William V. First on the list, 48 year-old Prince George Albert, who had become a career naval officer. After that, 52 year-old Princess Alexandria, who was married to the Duke of Norfolk. Then came King William’s children: Prince William Alexander, who was 26 at the time and who had married Elanora Hamlin, a member of a prominent Borealian family (much like his own father, who’s wife Elizabeth was also Borealian), followed by 25 year-old Prince Julius, and 20 year-old Princess Geneva. Princess Elizabeth, as the heir to the throne, was not considered. Also on the radar were the royal cousins in the Netherlands, including 44 year-old Prince William, brother to Queen Wilhelmina II, 29 year-old Princess Beatrix, and 28 year-old Prince Albert.
Lewis, Katherine. Northern Crown. Victoria: Victoria Publishing Company, 2000.

---
With Borealia going it alone, the rest of the British dominions and colonies met in London in the summer of 1956, where they signed the “Imperium Treaty,” which formally established the new British Imperial Commonwealth, which would be headed by an Imperial Cabinet that would “serve at the pleasure of the Imperial Parliament and the British Sovereign.” Elections were to be held in the fall for the first Parliament, which would then meet in the Spring of 1957, and biennially after that first meeting. There would be no permanent location for parliament, which would meet in a different city across the Commonwealth every time it met. All British colonies were declared Commonwealth States, and granted full home rule, with the promise that they would help comprise the combined Commonwealth Armed Forces.
Cherry, Dr. Mathilda. God Save Our Commonwealth. London: Imperial Publishers, 2012.

---
MEXICO CHOOSES NEW LABOR - WILL HAVE FIRST FEMALE PRIME MINISTER
MEXICO CITY - In a historic first, Mexicans will have their first female prime minister following yesterday’s election, in which the ruling Imperial Reform Party lost their majority for the first time since 1947, ending Felix Moya’s nine years in office. Replacing him will be Sofia Vera, the 37 year-old leader of the leftist New Labor Party. This is also bucking a continental trend towards more conservative governments that has taken place the past decade in not only the United States but also Texas, California, and Borealia. Some political commentators are wondering if this is the start of a new wind for politics across the NAU, or if it is merely a local trend in Mexico.
“Mexico Chooses New Labor - Will Have First Female Prime Minister,” New Orleans Star, April 20, 1956.

---
UNION COUNCIL PROPOSES CONTINENTAL BANK, CURRENCY
CHICAGO - The Texan Representative on the Union Council, Hernando Muller, has proposed the creation of a continent-wide central bank to help regulate the Pan-American Trade Zone. This proposal also calls for the creation of a single continental currency. “One of the largest remaining barrier to the free flow of goods and commerce in the Union is the retention of separate national currencies. Instead of using dollars and pounds and pesos and marks, we should all use some new common system, and this new central bank would be the regulator of that currency.”
The proposal has support from the representatives of California and Mexico, and Council Chairman Hoku Makala, who represents Hawaii, also is showing sign of interest. “I believe Mr. Muller’s proposal has some merit, and is worth deeper investigation. If we find that the proposal would benefit the Union as a whole, a final draft will be prepared for next year’s Conference in Neu Frankfurt.”
“Union Council Proposes Continental Bank, Currency,” St. Louis Courier, May 4, 1956.

---
LAURETTA PARKER OPENS “PARKERTOPIA” THEME PARK
ST. AUGUSTINE - A sunny Floridian morning greeted 66 year-old Lauretta Parker and thousands of guests as the animation tycoon opened her much talked about “Parkertopia” theme park on the outskirts of the American movie mecca of St. Augustine. Barbara & Brent Bunny, Parker’s signature animated characters, welcomed guests as they came through the entrance, with park employees handing out balloons to children who dragged their parents from one attraction to the next. Visible from the entrance, and dominating much of the park’s skyline, is the 12-spired Castle made famous in the 1943 film The Twelve Princesses.
The park features nearly 100 different rides or other amusements, all themed around one or more of Parker Studio’s popular animated films. In addition, Parkertopia features two resort hotels adjacent to the park, allowing for a unique immersive experience for families who visit.
“Lauretta Parker Opens ‘Parkertopia’ Theme Park,” Chicago Herald, June 2, 1956.

---
FEDERALIST PARTY GATHERS IN PHILADELPHIA TO DEBATE FUTURE
PHILADELPHIA - A funeral-like air hangs over the Philadelphia Civic Arena, where the members of the Federalist Party have gathered to discuss the fate of their party. Massachusetts Representative Peter Berber, who has been in Congress since 1920, will chair the meeting. Ever since the 1954 election, where the Federalists only kept 10 seats in Congress and their presidential candidate, Zachary Smith, only won 21 electoral votes (and failed to take the majority in any state), there has been a lot of discussion surrounding the future relevance of the party. Berber stated plainly that, “if our party has become a mere hindrance to the democratic life of this country, then it is time for us to take a bow and exit the stage gracefully.”
“Federalist Party Gathers in Philadelphia to Debate Future,” Franklin Observer, June 3, 1956.

---
On June 4th, 1956, the 10 members of the Federalist Party, all from the House of Representative (the last Federalist senators, from Delaware and MIssissippi, having lost their reelection bids in 1952), gathered with several hundred party officials from across New England and the South and a smattering of other locations. They were mayors and state legislators, state cabinet members, and other random elected officials from the few remaining Federalist strongholds. Noticeably absent was Zachary Smith, the party’s last presidential candidate (his running mate, former New Orleans Mayor Alexander Hughes, did make it to the “Twilight Convention”). Representative Berber gave the welcoming address, where he spoke of the long and storied history of the Federalists, and how they had dutifully served the nation over the past 167 years, having produced seven of the nation’s thirty-three presidents, the last having only left office seven years before. This included the nation’s only black leaders to date. Then, addressing the elephant in the room, he said: “We have long been a part of this nation’s political landscape. We have stood at the precipice of irrelevancy before, and bounced back to become a force to be truly reckoned with,” this a direct reference to the sojourn in the 1840s when the party had also faced the possibility of no longer being relevant nationally. Berber’s comments received a standing ovation, and some thought that the convention might serve as a way to reinvigorate the party instead of being its funeral pyre.
However, this was not to be. On the evening of the third day, it was announced that former President Henry Freeman, the nation’s second black president (the first to be elected, Peter Landon having been Vice President when Alexander Fleak died in 1905), and the most recent Federalist to hold the nation’s office, had lost his battle with cancer and had passed away. The delegates had been bitterly divided on the party’s next step despite the opening address’ unifying message, and this news brought back the funeral-like air that had been in Philadelphia when they first arrived. Compromise on a new platform and a new strategy could not be found. On June 12th, a motion was made in the party’s general assembly to dissolve the organization. It passed 213 to 104.
In the weeks that followed, the remaining members of the party announced their future plans. Six of the ten Congressmen announced that they would join the Liberals, including Peter Berber. The other four joined the Nationalists by the time of the 1956 election. Only Berber would be re elected in November of that year. State Federalist Partys would liner in Mississippi, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts until 1960.
Yandell, Dr. Peter. Federalists’ Final Curtain Call - The Convention of 1956. Boston: Kennedy Press House, 2006.

---
PRESIDENT PRIEST GREETS UER FOREIGN MINISTER ON FIRST OFFICIAL VISIT
FRANKLIN - At first glance, it appeared as if a CPUS rally were taking place in President’s Square in front of Washington House. But upon closer inspection, an observant visitor would have noticed that those were not plain red banners denoting the Communalist Party, but instead the hammer, wheat, and star-bedecked flag of the Union of European Republics. Arriving to visit President Priest was none other than Georg Bourbon, the Foreign Minister of the UER. Thousands of onlookers (many of them likely members of the CPUS, but not all) cheered and waved their hands, many holding either American, UER, or plain red flags as Bourbon’s motorcade arrived at the presidential residence. An honor guard of sharply dressed soldiers greeted the number two man from Europe’s communalist powerhouse. President Priest and First Lady Gloria Priest stood at the entrance as well. When Bourbon stepped out of the car, the Presidential Guard Band struck up Arise, Ye Workers!, the popular communalist song and official anthem of the UER. Some in the crowd could be heard singing along, something that likely rankled President Priest, but who’s face showed only placid hospitality as Bourbon approached with outstretched hand.
After the formal arrival ceremony, the President and his visitor came back out on the front balcony to wave and briefly address the crowd. President Priest went first, saying “It is my pleasure today to welcome the foreign minister of our great European ally from the Global War. We have seen the Union of European Republics grow from it’s more radical and violent revolutionary past into the respected world-leading power it is today. It is my hope that American and the UER can continue to grow this partnership into the decades to come.” Following the president’s remarks, Foreign Minister Bourbon spoke. Acknowledging his past that was in large part spent in Texas and the United States before he immigrated to the UER during the war, he said, “My first time in this great city I arrived as a young man from a harsh frontier with an unknown past and an uncertain future. Today, I have returned representing my long-lost homeland, and hope to be a bridge between these two peoples that are so dear to my heart.”
Bourbon is expected to be in Franklin for four days, meeting not only with President Priest, but also members of Congress and officials from the CPUS. The State Department has told reporters that this is primarily a good-will trip for Bourbon, but it is possible some groundwork will be laid on trade agreements, cultural exchanges, and maybe even some military exchanges.
“President Priest Greets UER Foreign Minister on First Official Visit,” Brooklyn Standard, July 10, 1956.

---
DRAMATIC FAILURE OF NASA ROCKET
ST. AUGUSTINE, FL - The test of the North American Space Administration’s new AR-5 rocket ended in spectacular failure when it exploded at the launch stand, destroying that structure and setting back NASA’s planned first launch of a man-made satellite by an untold number of months - if not years. The organization’s commander, Julius Portage, stated that the satellite project would go on, but that this was major set-back. “We had hopped to have a satellite in orbit by 1957. I can no longer make that promise, and have no idea at this time how much longer it will now take us. Employees on the satellite project have stated that the big debate will now be whether to just refine the AR-5 design, or scrap it in favor of one of a number of counter proposals.
“Dramatic Failure of NASA Rocket,” St. Louis Courier, August 14, 1956.

---
VP MORTON, SEC. STATE PENDLETON, MCCORMICK ARRIVE IN HAWAII FOR TALKS
HONOLULU - Vice President Herschell Morton and Secretary of State Jonathan Pendleton, along with NAU Special Councilor Benjamin McCormick, have arrived in the Hawaiian capital of Honolulu for the second NAU-China Summit, which begins the day after tomorrow. Chinese Foreign Minister Tu Fan is expected to arrive sometime today, and there are persistent rumors coming from the Chinese capital at Xian that a more senior member of the Imperial Court may also be in attendance, but such rumors have yet to be confirmed. Speculation over just who this surprise visitor may be runs the gamut from the Crown Prince to the Executive Councilor (China’s head of government, equivalent to the British or Mexican Prime Minister), or even Emperor Fùhuó II himself (though this last is highly unlikely).
The NAU-China Commission has stated that they hope to work out a military agreement to draw back tension in the East Asia region, in addition to good-will trips between the NAU and China, to try and end the hostile relations that have existed between United America and the Chinese Empire the past half decade or more.
“VP Morton, Sec. State Pendleton, McCormick Arrive in Hawaii for Talks,” Astoria Dispatch, September 10, 1956.

---
“Harmonization” was the plan proposed by Foreign Minister Tu Fan, and supported by Chiense Executive Councilor Tao Yuan (who surprised the world by arriving in Honolulu alongside the Foreign Minister at the 1956 summit). This plan called for the two sides to recognize that, for the good of their own people and the world at large, both China and America must recognize that they must coexist in harmony together, or face the prospect of massive destruction for both powers. Fan and Yuan proposed that both the North American Union and the Chinese Empire set in place a 10 year moratorium on the creation of new atomic weapons, to be kept in check by neutral third-party observers (likely the UER, Great Britain, or Germany). In addition, Fan and Yuan announced that the Emperor had agreed to a substantial drawdown of troops in the Chinese-controlled portion of Choson, if the United States and other NAU members would agree to reduce forces in Japan.
Following the military plans, the Chinese delegation proposed a number of good-will tours in both China and North America by American leaders and potentially the Chinese Emperor himself. Along with these high-level visits, the Chinese suggested several cultural exchanges, from the tours of national orchestras to the exhibition of art.
The willingness of China to make such bold moves towards peace surprised and delighted the Americans, and on September 17, 1956, the Honolulu Harmonization Accords were signed between the Chinese Empire and the North American Union. In his memoirs, Foreign Minister Fan explains this change of tune. “After visiting the locations where our scientists had tested one of our sun-bombs, the Emperor had first been gleeful. But over time his glee turned to sorrow, and he confided in several of us that his dreams were haunted by nightmares of Xian, Peking, Shanghai, Seoul, Harbin, and numerous other cities of the Empire being vaporized by sun-bombs. He believed harmony with the Americans was the only serious course to be taken. He began to remove the sabre-rattlers from court, and this allowed us to open up the First Harmonization in 1956.”
Harmonization, plans for state visits of Emperor, President, etc.
Jackson, Dr. Alexandra. Harmony in the Pacific: First Harmonization, 1956-1961. Corvallis, OR: University of Oregon Press, 2006.

---
CONGRESSIONAL ELECTIONS MAINTAIN STATUS QUO: STITT WILL KEEP SECRETARYSHIP
FRANKLIN - Following the dissolution of the Federalist Party this past summer, the Nationalist Party has been able to absorb most of those former Federalist seats in the House, now giving them exactly 251 of the 500 seats in the House, securing First Secretary Corey Stitt’s position for another two years. Many of those elections were won by the thinnest of margins, however, and it remains to be seen how much longer the Nationalists, who’ve held power in the House since 1951, will be able to keep their position. The CPUS stayed in the number two spot in the House with 158 seats, a net gain of two, and the Liberals remained in third place with 91 seats, a net loss of one. Communalist Representative Lewis Tyndale of Illinois told reporters that, “Secretary Stitt’s time in office is numbered. We may have fallen short this year, but I firmly believe that the combined CPUS-Liberal front will take the majority in 1958. In the meantime, we will continue in our position of loyal opposition, trying to keep checks on the Priest Administration wherever we can.”
In the Senate, the same trends from the last several elections have continued: the Nationalists and Liberals both lost seats, while the CPUS is on the rise. The Nationalists remain the largest party in the senate, but have now dropped to 35 seats, a net loss of two, meaning that the CPUS-Liberal bloc has the President’s party outnumbered. The Liberals also dropped a seat, now down to 27, while the CPUS gained three seats, bringing them up to 18.
“Congressional Elections Maintain Status Quo: Stitt Will Keep Secretaryship,” Franklin Observer, November 7, 1956.

---
BOREALIANS SELECT PRINCE WILLIAM ALEXANDER AS THEIR KING
VICTORIA - The Borealian Regency Committee has announced that Prince William Alexander, King Alexander’s second child and first son, will become the first of our northern neighbor’s new line of monarchs, now that Borealia is separating from the British Empire. Born 1930, Prince William will turn 27 just before his planned coronation date on May 1st of 1957. The young future monarch married Eleanora Hamlin of Borealia in 1953. For this selection to become official, Parliament will have to vote to approve Prince William as the future King of Borealia, but this seems a foregone conclusion, as the prince has the highest approval rating of any of the potential heirs that the committee reportedly reviewed during their search.
“Borealians Select Prince William Alexander As Their King,” Manhattan Gazette, December 3, 1956.

---
EMPEROR FUHUO II WILL ATTEND NORTH AMERICAN CONFERENCE
CHICAGO - The Chinese government has announced that Emperor Fuhuo II will attend the upcoming North American Conference this coming September, being held in the Texan city of Neu Frankfurt. The message received today by the NAU from Chinese Executive Councilor Tao Yuan stated, “His Imperial Majesty heartily accepts the invitation extended to him by the North American Union Council and it’s Chairman, Hoku Makala of Hawaii. He and members of the Imperial Court look forward to visiting the Republic of Texas and the city of Neu Frankfurt this September.”
This will be the first time any senior Chinese official has visited mainland North America, and is yet another sign that a thaw might finally be coming in the relationship between the NAU and China, after nearly two decades of frosty relations following the end of the Global War.
“Emperor Fuhuo II Will Attend North American Conference,” Chicago Herald, January 20, 1957.

---
PRESIDENT CASTS DOUBTS OVER CENTRAL BANK DEBATE
FRANKLIN - This fall, the North American Conference is set to debate a proposal from the Texas Federation first put forward to the NAU Council last year, and has since endorsed and recommended it be voted on by the Conference, that would establish a continent-wide single currency and centralized bank to oversee said currency. President Priest told reporters yesterday that, “while I believe having free trade is a good thing for all of America, I am doubtful that going to a single currency is a good thing. I am also unsure if such an agreement would ultimately be compatible with our constitution. My administration and I will be reviewing the proposal in great detail before September’s conference meeting.”
“President Casts Doubts Over Central Bank Debate,” Manhattan Gazette, March 1, 1957.

---
NASA ANNOUNCES NEW ROCKET LAUNCH FOR 1958
ST. AUGUSTINE, FL - NASA Commander Julius Portage has announced that the NASA Satellite Launch team has abandoned plans to build a modified AR-5 rocket, and is instead going ahead with the new AR-7, which they believe is an overall better design. The new rocket will be ready for testing in 1958, with hopes that, if successful, the rocket design could begin carrying satellites into orbit no later than 1959.
“NASA Announces New Rocket Launch for 1958,” St. Louis Courier, March 27, 1957.

---
CARIBBEAN DREAM, NEW AIRSHIP FROM ZEPPELIN, SAILS TO CUBA
BENTONVILLE - The inaugural flight of the Caribbean Dream, the newest airship from the Zeppelin Company, is now under way. This ship is the first in an initial plan of six pleasure cruise airships planned by Zeppelin, and the Dream marks the first new airship design in almost twenty years. The new Dream Class vessels are as large as the ships of the old Zeppelin Airship Service that operated before the Global War, and is capable of carrying over 150 passengers in style across the caribbean. The Caribbean Dreams is sailing first to Cuba, then the Bahamas, and finally Florida, before it returns to Texas.
“Caribbean Dream, New Airship from Zeppelin, Sails to Cuba,” Boston Eagle, April 12, 1957.

---
PRINCE WILLIAM BECOMES KING ALEXANDER I OF BOREALIA
VICTORIA - In what is likely the greatest show of pomp in the Borealian capital city since the hosting of the 1930 World Olympic Games, Prince William Alexander of Great Britain has been crowned as King Alexander I of Borealia, signaling the official break between our northern neighbors and the British Imperial Commonwealth. At 10 in the morning, the Prince and his wife Princess Elanora, and their two young children, Princess Patricia (3), and Prince Benjamin (1), departed York House (which has served as the residence of the Governor-General of Borealia since it was completed in 1888). Escorted by members of the Borealian Armed Forces, the entourage headed down Grand York Street to the Victoria the Great monument, where it then turned on to the capital city’s main thoroughfare, Borealis Avenue, making their way southwest to St. Joseph’s Cathedral, where the Prince would be given the crown of Borealia. Following the coronation ceremony, which borrowed heavily on the British ceremony, the new royal family made their way back up Borealis Avenue to Victoria Palace, the seat of the Borealian Parliament, where the new King gave a brief speech.
All the streets of the processional route were lined with cheering well-wishers waving both old and new Borealian flags. During the coronation, as per an act passed last week by parliament, the flag officially transitioned from the old design of a red banner with the Union Jack in the upper left canton and a large “northern star” with the constellation Ursa Major (colloquially known as “the Big Dipper”) bellow it, to the new design, an eight-pointed “northern star” on a blue diamond in the center, with alternating green and white stripes.
“Prince William Becomes King Alexander I of Borealia,” Franklin Observer, May 2, 1957.

---
FIRST LADY’S BATHTUB FALLS THROUGH FLOOR
FRANKLIN - In what was likely a shocking scene to behold, First Lady Gloria Priest’s bathtub fell through the ceiling from the top floor of the First Family’s residence, reportedly full of water (though not with the First Lady herself, who had been letting the tub fill and had been out of the room when she heard “an awful cacophony of groaning wood and crashing tile and plaster and the water.” Washington House staff, visitors, and residents have commented for more than a decade that parts of the executive mansion, which was built between 1820 and 1828, is showing its age and extensive use. Guests have noticed cracks in the walls and ceiling plaster, former President Nolan commented on how some of the floors in the residence seemed to bounce with your step “as if you were on an ocean liner,” and staff have long feared some sort of accident like this. However, up till now, most in government have pushed any serious repairs down the road.
“It would seem,” said Washington House Press Secretary Michael Buchanan after the accident, “that the days of putting off serious repairs of the Executive Mansion are at an end.” President and First Lady Priest will be temporarily relocating to the Presidential Guest House across the street while Army engineers do a thorough structural analysis of the building.
“First Lady’s Bathtub Falls Through Floor,” Boston Eagle, August 15, 1957.

---
MASSIVE POMP AS NA CONFERENCE WELCOMES CHINESE EMPEROR
NEU FRANKFURT - In a flurry of brass bands, military honors, flags, and fireworks, the leaders of the six nations of the North American Union welcomed Emperor Fuhuo II of China to the eleventh triennial meeting of the North American Conference in Neu Frankfurt, the second largest city in the Texan Federation. At the opening ceremony of the conference, held at the Nue Frankfurt Stadthalle, a large civic center only completed last year and capable of holding 25,000 spectators, Texas President Benjamin Landsberg welcomed all the visitors in his capacity as host. “It is my great honor to bring the heartfelt welcome of the Texan people to all of my fellow colleagues from across this great continent, and also to His Imperial Majesty, Fuhuo II, Emperor of All China. May this conference be the birth of the Harmonization we all seek.” Following President Landberg, NAU Council Chairman Jose Mendoza (the representative from Mexico who took office as chairman back in February), extended further greetings to China’s Emperor and expounded on the hope of peace and “Harmonization” in the Pacific.
In the ten days ahead, it is likely that we will hear a lot about peace and harmony in the Pacific, as that is the primary goal of the conference. Other issues on the agenda pale in comparison, though there is expected to be lively debate over the Union Council’s common currency proposal.
“Massive Pomp as NA Conference Welcomes Chinese Emperor,” Brooklyn Standard, September 3, 1957.

---
WASHINGTON HOUSE STRUCTURALLY UNSOUND: PRIEST TO RELOCATE
FRANKLIN - The head of the Army Corps of Engineers, Lieutenant General Kenneth Anderson, announced today that a preliminary survey of Washington House has found that the building is structurally unsound. “If this were a normal private residence, a city authority would likely have it condemned, as some areas of the residence are in very poor shape.” Anderson went on to say that, “we are very lucky that no worse accident has yet occurred, and that no one has been injured or worse yet, killed.” In response to this initial report, President Priest announced the “full and complete closure of Washington House, effective immediately.” The First Family have currently been staying in the Presidential Guest House across the street, but a more permanent residence will likely be found for the duration of the closure.
Once a more thorough inspection can be made, the Army Corps of Engineers will work with the government to create a renovation plan, a process that will likely take several years. It is highly likely that the Priests will spend the rest of the president’s term living elsewhere, and it will be his successor that will move back in to a restored Washington House after the 1960 election. Lieutenant General Anderson also suggested that the Corps undertake structural surveys of other buildings in the capital that were built at the same time as Washington House, and see if other repairs need to be made.
“Washington House Structurally Unsound: Priest to Relocate,” Astoria Dispatch, September 7, 1957.

---
Following the “Tub Tumble” in August of 1957, and the damning report issued by the Army Corps of Engineers that September in which Washington House was essentially condemned, President Timothy Priest and his wife, First Lady Gloria Priest, moved into Hamilton Place, which had served as the residence of the Vice President since the 1870s. Vice President Herschell Morton and his wife Dorothea moved into the Presidential Guest House. The rest of the executive bureaucracy scattered across the South Bank district of the capital. Hamilton Place took in some of the burden, while other offices deemed less essential were housed in various offices and rented townhouses near President’s Square.
Army Chief Engineer Kenneth Anderson announced in November of 1957 the full extent of the problems. After over a century of use and haphazard modernization efforts (the addition of first plumbing, then electricity and central heating, not to mention the high volumes of traffic some parts of the mansion received each year, had resulted in a building on the brink, being held up largely by the strong stone edifice. Anderson’s recommendation? Gut the entire building. It would take many more months of haggling with Congress over the funding, but finally the project was approved in February of 1958, and work began at the end of that month. Initial estimates put the project duration at three to four years, but in the end it would take nearly five, and Washington House would not be declared “fully restored” until October of 1962.
This restoration effort would kick off a larger project in the nation’s capital, to determine what other buildings needed restoration. Though none were as bad as Washington House, the projects that would spawn from this discovery would keep workmen busy until the mid 1980s.
Dale, Dr. Christopher. The People’s House - A History. Franklin: UUS Press House, 2017.

---
On September 12, 1957, the six member nations of the North American Union and the Empire of China signed the Neu Frankfurt Accords, which put in action the proposals first outlined the year before in Honolulu, in particular the military drawdowns in Choson and Japan, and a Chinese moratorium on new atomic weapons (and with the NAU agreeing to consider a similar move). Furthermore, cultural exchanges were set up to help try and bridge the gap between China and North America. It seemed as if a new era of peace had dawned in the Pacific. Tragically, no one could foresee the abrupt end to Harmonization that lay just a few years down the road.
Jackson, Dr. Alexandra. Harmony in the Pacific: First Harmonization, 1956-1961. Corvallis, OR: University of Oregon Press, 2006.

---
UER GRAND ASSEMBLY ELECTS GEORG BOURBON AS CHANCELLOR
STRASSBURG - At the opening meeting of the newly elected Grand Assembly of the Union of European Republics, the new delegates voted to make Foreign Minister Georg Bourbon, who was a guest of President Priest back in 1956, the new Chancellor of the UER for the next decade. Bourbon, who’s life began as a runaway prince and only son of the last King of Bavaria in 1899, saw him live in unknowing exile in Texas before he went to university in the United States and ultimately immigrated to the UER during the Global War. Now, coming full circle, this former prince now finds himself newly-elected as leader of the world’s most formidable worker’s state, the creation of which saw the destruction of his family’s former power.
Bourbon has been quite popular in many circles in Europe, having served in the European People’s Army from 1931 until 1939, where he then joined the UER Foreign Ministry. In 1940 he helped represent the European people’s state at the founding of the Global Peace Council, and would be appointed as the UER’s representative to that body in 1942, a post he held until the previous chancellor, Armand Pascall, appointed him as Foreign Minister in 1949.
“UER Grand Assembly Elects Georg Bourbon as Chancellor,” Franklin Observer, January 21, 1958.

---
OFFICE OF MORALITY FILES ACCUSATION AGAINST VP MORTON
FRANKLIN - Special Prosecutor Julius Scott, the director of the Justice Department’s controversial Office of Morality, which has been working to weed out potential homophiles from government service since its inception eight years ago under President Nolan, has announced that he is filing indecency charges against Vice President Herschell Morton. “Our special investigators have uncovered a mountain of evidence, including photographs, that we believe point to the Vice President being a secret homophile, or at least having indulged in immoral sexual acts with more than one man. We have filed charges in district court, but will be willing to drop these charges if the Vice President will do the right thing and resign his office. Should he refuse, thereby continuing to contaminate his high office and the reputation of the government of the United States, we will seek full prosecution, and will call on Congress to impeech him from office.”
The Vice President, who is back home in Oregon with his wife for his son Peter’s wedding, has not commented on these allegations, nor has anyone from his staff.
“Office of Morality Files Accusation Against VP Morton,” Chicago Herald, February 24, 1958.

---
PRESIDENT PRIEST: “I STAND WITH MORTON, ACCUSATIONS FALSE”
FRANKLIN - At a press conference held at Hamilton Place, the president’s temporary residence, President Timothy Priest declared that he believes that the Office of Morality is “mistaken,” and that the accusations against Vice President Herschell Morton are “totally false.” He went on to say that, “I stand with my friend and colleague Herschell Morton unequivocally. I will be meeting with Attorney General Alan Jones to discuss the case, which I hope to have dismissed. I am enraged that power seekers within the Justice Department would besmirch the good name of the Vice President just to get ahead.”
Special Prosecutor Julius Scott has fired back, saying that “there is irrefutable proof, and we will prosecute.”
“President Priest: “I Stand With Morton, Accusations False,” Boston Eagle, February 25, 2018.

---
Two days after the announcement that the Morality Office would be filing charges against the Vice President, someone in the office leaked several photos that clearly showed Morton, 59, being intimate with a man that looked to be in his thirties (and would later be identified as the eldest son of Oregon Senator Lewis Van Horn). Censored versions of the photos appeared in papers and magazines across the country and around the world. The Vice President, who had remained in hiding at his home outside New Boston since the story first broke on February 24, finally appeared before the press on March 9, 1958. “I fully admit that the photographs being circulated in the press, and the stories coming out from Special Prosecutor Scott’s office, are true. But I will not be resigning the Vice Presidency, nor do I admit that what has transpired is a crime. The only one that his harmed here is my wife Dorothea, and my children who are now having to watch this scandal unfold in the press.” The nation would later learn that Morton did try to resign, but Priest refused to accept it. In a private letter to the embattled Vice President dated March 1st, Priest tells Morton “that bastard Jones has gotten too big for his britches. Frankly I don’t care what you do or who with. There are more important things to worry about and have about had it with the whole morality wing. Enough is enough.”
A month long public fight broke out between Priest and Attorney General Alan Jones. In the end, Jones was forced to resign on April 20, 1958, and the new acting Attorney General, Brendan Smith, was ordered to close the Morality Office.
James, Alexa. Scandal! The Herschell Morton Story. Chicago: People’s Press, 2001.

---
HSA DEMANDS REINSTATEMENT OF THOSE DISMISSED BY MORALITY OFFICE
BOSTON - The President of the Homophilic Society of America, Orvil Kinsey, has called on the government to reinstate those who were dismissed by the now shuttered Office of Morality. “The witch hunt of of Alan Jones and Julius Scott may be over. But their actions have shattered a lot of lives, and we of the Homophilic Society of America demand that Congress and/or President Priest reinstate those who were dismissed due to the actions of the Justice Department’s Office of Morality over the past eight years.”
Whether Congress, which is still at least partially controlled by the Nationalists, or President Priest’s administration will act on these demands remains to be seen. For many in Franklin, at least among the Nationalists, there is growing resentment at the President for his support of Morton, and repeated calls for the Vice President to resign.
“HSA Demands Reinstatement of Those Dismissed by Morality Office,” St. Louis Courier, May 10, 1958.

---
PRESIDENT PRIEST GOES TO PARIS FOR OLYMPICS
FRANKLIN - Amid ongoing backlash from the Morton Scandal, President and First Lady Priest today boarded the newly finished Eagle One, a custom-designed Zeppelin Z-302 aircraft with it’s sleek red-white-blue central stripes that is the official aircraft of the President, and began their journey to Paris for the opening of the twelth World Olympic Games, the first ever to be held in the Union of European Republics. This also marks the first time that any high-level American official has visited the UER. Critics among Priest’s own party, who have been stirred up in recent weeks since the scandal involving Vice President Morton and the son of Senator Van Horn of Oregon, dislike what they call the President’s “cozying up to foreign Communalists.”
“President Priest Goes to Paris for Olympics,” Brooklyn Standard, May 30, 1958.

---
PARIS GAMES OPEN IN GRAND SPECTACLE - UER A “NEW NATION” SAYS PRESIDENT
PARIS - Flags of the world fly from every lamppost. A dazzling light show illuminated the metal framework of the People’s Tower that dominates the Paris skyline. A special parade of the athletes through central Paris before the opening ceremonies at Marchand Stadium. The Union of European Republics pulled out all the stops as they welcomed the world to the twelth World Olympic Games. Fifty four years after the people’s revolution, Paris remains a vibrant city, though if one looks deep enough you can find the scars of the terrible years under Holz, though those are fading after the past quarter century of more democratic communalist rule.
President Priest, the first American leader to ever visit the Union of European Republics is “a new nation.” When I was a young man, the UER was the bad guy, to be feared. I may not agree with their policies, but the past quarter century has really turned things around. I look forward to seeing where the country goes under the leadership of Chancellor Bourbon too.”
“Paris Games Open in Grand Spectacle - UER a “New Nation” Says President,” Manhattan Gazette, June 3, 1958.

---
SENATOR MCCORCKER: PRIEST A HOMOPHILE LOVER, BETRAYING NOLAN
Franklin - With President Priest out of the country, a senior member of the Nationalist Party, Senator McCorker of Georgia, has gone on the attack of how the administration responded to the Morton Scandal. “President Timothy Priest had a responsibility to God, to our nation, and to our party, to uphold the good work started by President Nolan and Attorney General Jones. In siding with Herschell Morton and protecting an admitted homophile who has infiltrated the highest echelon of our government, the president has failed in his responsibility. He has betrayed his mentor and his party.” It would appear that McCorker and a number of other social conservative within the Nationalist Party are gearing up for an internal party fight with more progressive members who’ve stood by Priest and his decision to back the scandal-ridden Vice President.
“Senator McCorker: Priest a Homophile Lover, Betraying Nolan,” New Orleans Star, June 10. 1958.

---
UER TAKES FIRST AT OLYMPICS, USA IN THIRD
PARIS - It’s a win for the hometeam, as the Union of European Republics comes in first in the overall gold medal count at the 12th World Olympic Games in Paris, with 44 of a total of 115 medals. In second came the German Republic with 29 gold medals, and in third the United States with 27 medals.
“UER Takes First at Olympics, USA in Third,” Astoria Dispatch, June 17. 1958.

---
SUCCESS! NASA’S NEW ROCKET LAUNCHES WITHOUT INCIDENT!
ST. AUGUSTINE - NASA Chief Julius Portage has confirmed that the new AR-7 rocket has had its first successful test, making it to a trajectory that would successfully carry a satellite into space. “With the success of today’s launch,” Portage told reporters, “our satellite team fully expects to put the first man-made satellite into orbit by 1959, 1960 at the latest.”
With a deadline now in place, all the world will be watching the scientists and engineers in St. Augustine to see if they are capable to meet this goal. If successful, many experts believe that the devices could revolutionize communications, being able to bounce signals too and from different points on earth at far greater distances and faster speeds than currently capable via earthbound radio waves.
“Success! NASA’S New Rocket Launches Without Incident!” Chicago Herald, July 10, 1958.

---
The outspoken Georgia Senator Leonard McCorker, fed up with what he saw as the “inept, feckless leadership of President Priest,” headed an effort during the 1958 election to remove pro-Priest candidates from office in Nationalist stronghold areas. This of course was just an opening act for McCorker. His real target was the 1960 presidential contest, but he had to start smaller and build a reliable base. And so, the Morality League of Nationalists was born. The MLN would field candidates in opposition to regular Nationalist members who stood by Priest or were in anyway aloof on the issue of homophilia. In some races this would be an effective tactic. And regardless of how the overall plan worked in 1958, it did help establish McCorker and his cause in the national narrative prior to the 1960 election.
Gunn, Dr. Peter. The Moral Revolt: McCorker and the Morality League. St. Louis: Great River Publishing, 2010.

---
WOC SELECTS SHANGHAI FOR 1966 GAMES
AMSTERDAM - The World Olympic Committee has announced that the games will return for a second time to the Asian continent, with their selection of Shanghai, China, as the host of the 1966 World Olympics, the fourteenth since the start of the modern tradition in 1910. The next games of course will be held in the Dominion of Australia, the third time the games will be in a nation affiliated with the British Empire. There was some initial doubt, due to the tension earlier in the decade, as to whether or not the committee would go with Shanghai despite a desire to return to Asia. The recent moves towards Harmonization between the North American Union and the Empire of China seems to have calmed whatever fears committee members may have had about the Chinese hosting the event.
“WOC Selects Shanghai for 1966 Games,” Boston Eagle, September 5, 1958.

---
NATIONALISTS FALTER AT POLLS - STITT LIKELY OUT AS FIRST SECRETARY
FRANKLIN - Due in large part to the insurgent candidates belonging to Senator McCorker’s Morality League, the Nationalist Party has lost a number of seats in the House, and it is likely that First Secretary Corey Stitt will be replaced by a communalist, the first since Patricia Perry (in office from 193-1941 under President Palmer). The Nationalists dropped from their 251 seat absolute majority in 1956 to 194 seats. They still remain the largest single party in the House, with the Communalists in a very close second at 186 seats (a gain of 28 seats), and the Liberals remaining in third at 120 seats (a gain of 29 seats). However, the CPUS and the Liberals have already agreed to work in partnership, giving their bloc a total of 306 seats, over fifty seats more than is needed to control in the House. Discussions have likely already begun on just who will replace Stitt, but no names are coming to the forefront just yet.
In the Senate, the CPUS-Liberal Bloc shored up their control, with the Liberals going from 27 seats to 30, and the CPUS going from 18 seats to 20. The Nationalists dropped from 35 to 30. All signs point to a continuing trend, which will likely see either the Liberals or even the Communalists taking Washington House in 1960.
“Nationalists Falter at Polls - Stitt Likely Out as First Secretary,” Franklin Observer, November 5, 1958.

---
LEWIS TYNDALE BECOMES FIRST SECRETARY
FRANKLIN - Following the landslide loss of the Nationalists in last November’s election, the new CPUS and Liberal-dominated House of Representatives today elected Communalist Representative Lewis Tyndale of Illinois as the new Speaker of the House and First Secretary of the United States. Tyndale is only the second Communalist to hold the First Secretaryship.
“Today is a new dawn in our country. In the recent election, Americans overwhelming signaled to those in power that the actions taken over the past decade by the Nolan and Priest Administrations will no longer be tolerated. Both houses of the people’s Congress are now in the hands of the CPUS-Liberal Bloc, and things are going to be much different around here than they were under the old management.” Mr. Tyndale told reporters and an assembled crowd of supporters outside the Brandt House Office Building.
No official statement has been made yet by officials within the President’s Office, but the new First Secretary is scheduled to meet with President Priest tomorrow at Hamilton Place and be formally accepted into the cabinet.
“Lewis Tyndale Becomes First Secretary.” Brooklyn Standard, January 15, 1959.

---
CONGRESS GEARS UP FOR FIGHT WITH ADMINISTRATION
FRANKLIN - After approving several new cabinet appointees, the new Congress appears to be gearing up for a fight with President Priest and his administration. Out of the nine cabinet positions, all but two have been changed. Secretary of State Jonathan Pendleton and Secretary of War Upton Cain, both Nationalists, have been retained, but the other seven positions have been given to the CPUS-Liberal Bloc, with four Communalists (Secretaries of Interior, Treasury, Education, and Health), and three Liberals (Attorney General, Secretary of the Navy, and the Postmaster General). It is unclear yet if Priest will accept the new cabinet appointees when he meets with First Secretary Tyndale next week.
In addition to the new cabinet, it is likely we will see legislation in the coming weeks that would offer an official apology to those dismissed from government service by the Office of Morality which closed last year, in addition to offering to reinstate those who were fired during the anti-homophilic purges. Another possible piece of legislation would be U.S. approval of the Continental banking and currency scheme tentatively agreed to at the Neu Frankfurt conference, which the President himself has refused to fully back. Even though both houses of Congress are in the control of the CPUS-Liberal bloc, their control is not veto-proof. Depending on how much Priest wants to fight, the nation could be facing a long two years of a government in deadlock.
“Congress Gears Up for Fight with Administration,” Manhattan Gazette, January 30, 1959.

---
PRIEST ACCEPTS NEW CABINET
FRANKLIN - In a surprise move, President Priest announced that he accepted the new cabinet approved of by Congress, telling reporters that, “As much as I don’t like it, I have to accept that the political winds in this country have shifted since I took office four years ago, and if the government is to get anything done, compromises will have to be reached. I look forward to working with, not against, the new cabinet members.”
Members of the President’s party, however, do not like the new conciliatory tone that the President has taken with the CPUS-Liberal bloc since they took power in Congress last month. Senator Leonard McCorker of Georgia told the press that, “The president showed the world last year that he is spineless, when he chose to back the disgraced Vice President, the known homophile, and his actions now just reenforce that spinelessness. He’s a disgrace to the party and I look forward to next year’s election when the Nationalists can clean house of compromising, feckless men like Priest.” Senator McCorker has made many inflammatory remarks aimed at the president in recent months, and many speculate that he will seek the party nomination in 1960.
“Priest Accepts New Cabinet,” Astoria Dispatch, February 3, 1959.

---
HOUSE DEBATES LAW TO REINSTATE THOSE FIRED IN NOLAN PURGES
FRANKLIN - Communalist Representative Jesse Pike of Massachusetts and Liberal Representative Sheila of Oregon have introduce a bill titled the Restoration of the Dismissed Act, which if passed would issue a formal apology on behalf of the government to any person dismissed from federal employment by the Office of Morality. More importantly, the act would require the government to rehire, with a raise, any person who was removed from office during the Anti-Homophile Purges conducted during the Nolan Administration and the first two thirds of the Priest Administration. There has been discussion of adding an amendment which would give compensation to those fired over the past decade, but it remains to be seen if this will be supported.
“House Debates Law to Reinstate Those Fired in Nolan Purges,” New Orleans Star, March 12, 1959.

---
KING WILLIAM V DEAD AT 59
LONDON - The Palace of Whitehall has announced that King William V, Britain’s first King in over a century, has died at the age of 59, after a reign of fifteen years. According to the palace press release, the King died of complications caused by lung cancer, but did not elaborate further. There had been persistent rumors regarding King William’s health over the past few years, but he remained active and in the public eye until last month, when the palace reported that he had been taken ill and receiving treatment. The crown will now pass to Princess Elizabeth Victoria (likely to take the regnal name of Elizabeth II), who is thirty-one. The Princess and her husband, Prince Johannes (formerly of Denmark), are currently visiting the Dominion of South Africa, and will be returning to London at once.
“King William V Dead at 59,” Boston Eagle, April 22, 1959.

---
PIONEER ONE IN ORBIT!
ST. AUGUSTINE - “It’s done, we’ve done it! The Pioneer is in space!” shouted NASA Chief Julius Portage as technicians confirmed that Pioneer One, the satellite developed by NASA scientists and engineers to be sent into orbit by the new AR-7 rockets, successfully made it into orbit. With this success, NASA plans on expanding their satellite program in the near future. Pioneer One is a basic test model, with basic transmitter capabilities, but the engineers hope to build satellites capable of expanding the abilities of our existing communications networks.
“Pioneer One in Orbit!” Chicago Herald, May 3, 1959.

---
MCCORKER FILIBUSTERS REINSTATEMENT BILL IN SENATE
FRANKLIN - The Restoration of the Dismissed Act, which passed the House of Representatives last week in a vote of 310-190, is now being held up in the Senate by Senator McCorker and his “Morality League” allies, who began a filibuster in the Senate last night. As of the time of print, the senator had been speaking for 14 hours, and seems ready to go for hours more. In the end, however, this is little more than a political stunt. CPUS-Liberal bloc has the votes to pass, and also to bring an end to the filibuster should they so choose, which may happen sometime later today. The real question will be whether or not the President will veto the bill. The so-called “Anti-Nationalist Bloc” has control over Congress, but they do not enjoy a veto proof majority should the president exercise that power.
“McCorker Filibusters Reinstatement Bill in Senate,” Franklin Observer, May 12, 1959.

---
PRIEST TO SIGN REINSTATEMENT ACT
FRANKLIN - In a surprise move, President Priest has signed into law the Restoration of the Dismissed Act, which will allow those fired during the Nolan Purges for being an alleged homophile to be rehired, or receive compensation for their dismissal. After a 18-hour filibuster attempt led by Senator McCorker of Georgia, the Senate ultimately passed the bill 52-28. There had been a great deal of uncertainty about whether or not the president would give his approval, but in his remarks President Priest stated that, “I personally do not agree with homophilia, but I do not feel that it should be grounds for dismissal, especially since many of the states have legalized it. What President Nolan and Attorney General Jones did amounts to a witch hunt, and we ought to know better than that in this day and age.”
There has been some disgruntled voices concerning the compensation packages offered in the law. Some feel it isn’t enough for the lives disrupted by the purges, while others feel that giving out money was a step to far. In the end, the compensation packages are about half what the bill sponsors and core supporters in Congress initially wanted, but compromise is inevitable in such legislation.
“Priest to Sign Reinstatement Act,” Chicago Herald, May 20, 1959.

---
VP MORTON FOUND DEAD AT HIS OWN HAND
ASTORIA - In a shocking turn of events, Vice President Herschell Morton has been found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot to the head in his home outside the Oregonian capital at Astoria. According to a spokesperson for the family, the Vice President and his wife, Dorothea, had finalized their divorce two days before, and those close to Morton say this whole ordeal had weighed heavy on him.
Since the scandal broke last year, the Vice President had kept a low profile, all the more so since his divorce trial began earlier this Spring. Sources close to the Mortons have reported than the Vice President’s two children had distanced themselves from their father, and his son Peter supposedly has not spoken with him since sometime last year. There has been no official response from any of the family members, or from President Priest.
“VP Morton Found Dead at His Own Hand,” Manhattan Gazette, June 12, 1959.

---
PIKE CALLS FOR BILL TO DECRIMINALIZE HOMOPHILIA NATIONWIDE
FRANKLIN - “The time has come,” stated Massachusetts Representative Jesse Pike in an address to the House, “to end the practice of criminalizing the actions of private individuals with regards to who nature has dictated they be attracted to. Homophiles like myself can no more change who their nature wants them to fall in love with than they can change the color of their eyes or their skin. In this enlightened day and time, such laws have outlived their relevance.” Mr. Pike has introduced a bill titled “The Freedom to Love Act,” which would decriminalize homophilia nationwide. The Nationalist Party has vowed opposition, and there are a few members of the Liberal Party that have expressed concern that this would be a sweeping expansion of federal power and think this should be handled at the state level. Still, it is likely that the bill will pass both houses of Congress. The real question is whether or not President Priest will sign it into law. The president did sign the Restoration Act, which allowed those purged from federal service on charges of homophilia to get their jobs back or receive monetary compensation. This has supporters of Pike’s new proposal hopeful that President Priest will give his signature to this bill as well.
“Pike Calls for Bill to Decriminalize Homophilia Nationwide,” Boston Eagle, June 27, 1959.

---
PRIEST WILL NOT REPLACE MORTON
FRANKLIN - It has been nearly a month since the shocking death of Vice President Herschell Morton, and today the President’s Office announced that President Priest will not seek to replace Morton. “After much deliberation, President Priest feels that it would be best to leave the post of Vice President empty for the remainder of his term, which is roughly a year and a half. The time it would take to find a suitable candidate and get him approved by the Congress would take so much time that a new Vice President would only be in office a few months.” Though no one at Hamilton Place has said so, the feeling in Franklin is that with Senator McCorker and the Morality League challenging Priest and other moderates for leadership within the Nationalist Party, the president did not want to give McCorker the opportunity to have a public fight prior to the 1960 election.
“Priest Will Not Replace Morton,” Brooklyn Standard, July 10, 1959.

---
PRESIDENT VETOES LOVE ACT
FRANKLIN - In a move that is likely to frustrate the efforts of pro-homophilia rights activists across the nation, President Priest announced today that he will be vetoing the “Freedom to Love Act,” which passed both the House and the Senate last week. “While I do not personally condemn homophiles for what they do, I cannot in good conscience force every state to change their laws in such a sweeping and abrupt way. This should remain a state-by-state issue and I will not interfere with that.” Representative Pike, who introduced the bill back in June, expressed his disappointment. “In 1946, twenty-three out of forty-one states had statutes that outlawed homophilia in some form, in addition to municipal laws other states where there were no state-level laws. That year, Massachusetts repealed their anti-sodomy law. Since then, five of those twenty-three states have done so. That means that in seventeen states, the love that I share with my partner, Matthew, would be illegal. The president had an opportunity to end this anachronism, but instead has given in to those in his own party who would have us return to the days of the nineteenth century, when women were seen not heard, blacks owned as property, and homophiles jailed.”
“President Vetoes Love Act,” Boston Eagle, July 19, 1959.

---
MASS PROTEST AHEAD OF HAYWORTH ACT BAN DEADLINE
ST. LOUIS - Triple A Chairman William Dupree says his organization has planned major protests across the nation in advance of the September 1st deadline for private citizens to turn over their handguns. “I predict that there will be a lot of attempts to resist the confiscations and remaining buyouts prior to the deadline, and my organization stands ready to defend those who resist in court. We are also working with our regional officers to stage major protests in some of the nation’s largest cities, including St. Louis, Prosperity, Astoria, Roosevelt City, New Orleans, and Franklin.”
“Mass Protest Ahead of Hayworth Act Ban Deadline,” St. Louis Courier, August 12, 1959.

---
On September 1st, 1959, it became illegal for most private citizens of the United States to own handguns, becoming the third such ban in the North American Union, after Borealia (1927), Mexico (1930), and California (1933). As promised, Triple A showed up in force in cities all across the nation in mid-to-late August of that year to give a final, futile protest to the enforcement of the ban, primarily in cities in the central and western states. Most of those were peaceful affairs, except for the riot that broke out in St. Louis, where demonstrators clashed with police for several hours. No one was killed but nearly two hundred ended up in area hospitals and the mayor declared a 48-hour period of emergency.
Despite the protests, the ban went into effect as scheduled. For most citizens, it came and went unnoticed, save a mention in the newspapers and on the nightly telecinema news broadcasts. There were, however, pockets of resistance. In Brandt and Adams, local police had to raid several “secret stashes” of guns kept by those in rural areas. Most dramatically, a shootout erupted outside the small town of Penbrook, Washingtonia, located in the far north of the state near the Borealian border. Haymitch Lowell, a local rancher, refused to turn over his registered handguns, and when the FSB showed up to confiscate those weapons and search for contraband, Lowell refused entry and then opened fire. Lowell and one of his three sons were killed in the incident, which unsurprisingly garnered national attention.
Triple A’s legal team did pick up the defense of several cases of resistance to the ban (though not, notably, the Lowell case). Though the Supreme Court had already ruled that the law was constitutional in Dupree v. United States in 1958, the American Arms Association was determined to get a second chance. Ultimately, in the case of Josiah Bentley v. United States in 1961, the Supreme Court upheld their earlier ruling by refusing to hear Bentley’s appeal when a lower federal court ruled in the government’s favor.
Jacobs, Dr. Benjamin. The Story of the Second Amendment. Franklin: UUS Press House, 2012.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As with the last update, I made this just a tad too long, to I've had to split the update into two posts.

Last edited:
Chapter 35: The Priest Presidency, 1955-1960, Part 2
MCCORKER ANNOUNCES CANDIDACY
SAVANNAH, GA - In a fiery speech given to a hospitable hometown crowd, Senator Leonard McCorker of the Nationalist Party announced that he was running for the presidency. “We must take our party back, and we must ensure that the moral course set out by President Nolan is maintained. The current administration has strayed too far. But as bad as Priest has been, allowing a Liberal or, God forbid, a Communalist, to take control of Washington House would be far worse.” McCorker appeals to the social conservative wing of the Nationalist Party, but those more focused on business and state’s rights are less enthused by his candidacy, and there is expected to be a strong primary fight between the Senator from Georgia and at least two or three other contenders.
“McCorker Announces Candidacy,” New Orleans Star, December 10, 1959.

---
LINCOLN PROMISES “NEW AMERICA” IN CANDIDACY ANNOUNCEMENT
INDIANAPOLIS - Senator Georgina Lincoln, formerly the governor of Indiana who was the vice presidential candidate for the CPUS during the 1954 election, has announced that she hopes to be her party’s nominee for the presidency this November. Making the announcement at the site of her childhood home in the Indianapolis suburb of New Owensville, Lincoln told those gathered in the local Community Hall that “We need a new America! One that takes care of the workers and common folk, one that does not put the needs of captains of industry before the needs of the laborers in their factories. An America that accepts every citizen just as they are and does not expect them to conform to some idealized version of humanity that does not exist. We need an America that will not discriminate against people because of who they love. We need an America that looks to its future for inspiration, not its past.”
As our readers are aware CPUS does not conduct primary elections like the Liberals or the Nationalists, instead conducting local, state, and finally national level party congresses to decide on candidates and platform, so we will not know until the May party congress just who pulls ahead as the likley candidate, but Mrs. Lincoln has a strong following and seems to be the early frontrunner.
“Lincoln Promises “New America” in Candidacy Announcement,” The American Worker, January 2, 1960.

---
MCCORKER LEADS ORTON IN PRIMARIES
FRANKLIN - Senator Leonard McCorker leads Representative Sean Orton of Ohio in the first three rounds of Nationalist Party primaries, currently having taken place in about half of the states. Orton, a moderate, is campaigning hard on being the “next generation” of the Nationalist Party. At 37, he’s one of the youngest candidates to ever seek the presidency, and nearly thirty years younger than McCorker. Orton claims that “for the Nationalist Party to remain relevant in the second half of the twentieth century, it has to let go of some of the social morality issues that Nolan and now McCorker and their supporters have been harping on.”
Despite early returns in favor of McCorker, it is still too early to make any predictions. Several populous states that lean Nationalist, such as Oregon or Missouri, have yet to vote, and in those states McCorker is not as popular. Also, regardless of how the primary elections go, a third of the delegates at the summer party convention are “free will delegates,” mostly state and federal office holders within the party, who act as sort of a guiding hand, and McCorker has not won over many friends from that group.
“McCorker Leads Orton in Primaries,” Boston Eagle, March 4, 1960.

---
POTTER CONCEDES TO SIMPSON AND ANDREWS
ASTORIA - Katherine Potter, who had been the vice presidential Liberal Party nominee for the 1954 election before the tragedy of the Phillips assassination propelled her into the top spot on the ticket, has conceded to Elijah Simpson, the Governor of Pennsylvania, and Sherri Andrews, Representative from Louisiana, after losing all of the primary races held in this most recent round of voting by the Liberal party. After a strong start in the January primaries, coming in first in three states and second in three more, she came in last place in all but two states in February, and bottomed out in every race this month. “It is clear to me that Liberal Party voters are focused on either Governor Simpson or Representative Andrews, and so it is time for me to bow out and let the party decide which of these two candidates deserves to be our nominee in November.” Potter is refusing to back either remaining candidate, but says she will support whoever wins the final nomination at this summer’s party convention.
“Potter Concedes to Simpson,” Astoria Dispatch, March 23, 1960.

---
TELECINEMA IN COLOR? TEST BROADCAST A SUCCESS IN CALIFORNIA
SAN FRANCISCO - Almost since the outset of commercially viable telecinema broadcasts, the public and industry insiders alike have clamored for the day when such transmissions would appear on our TC screens in “living color.” Now, it looks like that day has arrived, with successful tests made in the Californian city of San Francisco. Jose Milton, director of TeleCine de California Uno, or TCC-1, the republic’s biggest private telecinema broadcaster, announced that a month-long test of color transmissions in the San Francisco Bay area had been a success. “The technology works. We have been working with companies here in California and in Texas, and hope to make this a regular thing in the near future.”
Companies such as Cine America out of California and FuturTechnik out of Texas were involved in this project, and they both say that the technology is now feasible, and it is only a matter of making affordable TC sets that can be purchased by the general public, and helping broadcasters adapt their transmission capabilities. FuturTechnik CEO Ferdinand Meyer thinks that color telecinema broadcasts are likely to become common place by the end of the decade.
“Telecinema in Color? Test Broadcast a Success in California,” St. Louis Courier, April 18, 1960.

---
LINCOLN CONFIRMED BY CPUS ANNUAL CONGRESS
PHILADELPHIA - The Communalist Party of the United States has officially voted to make Georgina Lincoln, Senator and former Governor of Indiana, their party’s candidate for the upcoming presidential election this November. This will be the seventh time that a CPUS candidate will be on the national presidential ballot, and the first time for a woman to be the party’s nominee. In a bold move, the CPUS nominated Alexandra Clayborn, a representative from Mississippi, as Lincoln’s running mate. This is the first time in American history that any political party has nominated only women for their national ticket, and if they win the duo will make history in several ways: first woman president; first communalist president; first black woman vice president. The popularity of the communalist party has been gaining in recent years, and most political observers believe that the nation will either choose the CPUS or the Liberals, after twelve years of Nationalist control of Washington House.
“Lincoln Confirmed by CPUS Annual Congress,” Brooklyn Standard, May 4, 1960.

---
NATIONALIST CONVENTION DEADLOCK
FORT CALHOUN - As the Nationalists gather in the capital and largest city of Platte, their party seems divided and in deadlock as to who their nominee for the presidency should be. The primaries have ended in a dead heat between ultra-conservative Leonard McCorker and moderate Sean Orton, representing not just two different ideologies but also two different generations. When the Global War ended in 1938, Orton was just finishing secondary school. McCorker was leading men in the fight to keep Choson from being overrun. Orton thinks that the party should give up it’s anti-homophilia stance. McCorker believes they should double-down in their defense of “God’s moral order.”
In the end, it will come down to the “free-will delegates,” members of Congress and state legislatures who are supposed to serve as a “guiding hand” to the party. Among those men (and a few women), McCorker is not as popular, and that may be what breaks the deadlock.
“Nationalist Convention Deadlock,” New Orleans Star, July 10, 1960.

---
MASS WALKOUT BY MCCORKER AND SUPPORTERS
FORT CALHOUN - After the party convention announced last night that Sean Orton had been elected as the Nationalists’ presidential candidate, rival Senator McCorker of Georgia and most of his supporters stormed out of the convention in protest after McCorker announced that the nomination had been stolen by “non-elected hack delegates” and that he would not support Orton’s run. Nearly one in four delegates left the convention center in downtown Fort Calhoun, and it seems likely that McCorker will try and launch an independent bid for the presidency.
“Mass Walkout By McCorker and Supporters,” Franklin Observer, July 13, 1960.

---
MCCORKER WILL RUN AS INDEPENDENT, MAKING FOR FOUR WAY RACE
FORT CALHOUN - Senator Leonard McCorker of Georgia has announced that he will be launching an independent bid to become president of the United States, after the Nationalist Party voted to back Representative Sean Orton of Ohio as their nominee. “This nation is on the brink or moral chaos, and too many in our party have become complacent as the Liberals and godless Communalists have rolled out one corruptive piece of legislation after another. James Nolan tried to make a course correction, but Timothy Priest gave in to the immorality that is sweeping the nation.
This announcement means that there will be a four way race for the presidency after all, between McCorker, Orton, CPUS candidate Georgina Lincoln, and the soon-to-be confirmed Liberal candidate, likely Elijah Simpson. This split within the Nationalists is likely to lead to a repeat of the 1958 congressional elections, which saw Morality League candidates try and remove sitting moderate Nationalists, which resulted in huge gains for the CPUS and the Liberals.
“McCorker Will Run as Independent, Making for Four Way Race,” Chicago Herald, July 14, 1960.

---
SIMPSON CHOOSES EUBANKS AS RUNNING MATE AHEAD OF CONVENTION
BROOKLYN - Elijah Simpson, who has secured more than enough delegates to win the Liberal nomination for the presidency when the party convention starts later this week, has announced today that he is picking Juliana Eubanks as his running mate. This seems to be a popular move among wide swaths of the party faithful, and will likely pull in supporters of Simpson’s rival, Sherri Andrews. This also means that three of the four vice presidential nominees are women, a first in American history. In addition to Eubanks, there is Alexandra Clayborn of the CPUS, and Lucille Barrow that Nationalist candidate Sean Orton is running with. Only the independent ticket of Senator McCorker and his running mate, Jack Spencer, remains all-male.
“Simpson Chooses Eubanks as Running Mate Ahead of Convention,” Brooklyn Standard, August 1, 1960.

---
MILLIONS TUNE IN TO WATCH FOUR-WAY DEBATE
NEW ORLEANS - An estimated seven million people tuned their telecinema sets in to watch the first of two planned telecinemagraphed debates between the four candidates for the Presidency, which will be broadcast live from New Orleans on ABN and PBC, the two largest national telecinema networks. One of the biggest things people were looking out for are how Senator McCorker and Representative Orton will act towards each other, the two bitter rivals that seem to have split the support of the Nationalists. The other thing that viewers were hoping to see was how well Georgina Lincoln of the CPUS handles herself. As the Nationalist vote is likely to split, the election will probably come down to a competition between Lincoln and her Liberal opponent, Elijah Simpson.
The hour and a half debate did not disappoint, allowing all the candidates to get some key screen time. When the four candidates came out and greeted one another, Senator McCorker notably did not shake the hand of Simpson, and tried to ignore his fellow Nationalist as much as possible. When asked by the moderator, ABN’s senior evening news anchor Charles Locke, asked the Senator if he was worried that his campaign would cost the Nationalists Washington House, McCorker replied, “I am the only true Nationalist running. If the party has been abandoned by those that are more worried about money and power than in true leadership and moral fortitude, I say good riddance. I believe we can still win the presidency next month, but even if we do not, we true Nationalists will be back and we will make ourselves heard.”
Senator Lincoln also had several shining moments. When McCorker promised to reestablish the Office of Morality, she challenged by saying, “Senator, aren’t you tired of your crusade? How many lives must you crush to satisfy the altar of your Old Testament deity?” McCorker then responded, saying, “There you go Mr. Locke, a prime example of the godlessness of the Communalist Party. Senator Lincoln and all who follow her politics are unfit to lead. They do not acknowledge the Almight..” at this point the Senator from Indiana interrupted, saying, “Now hold on Senator, you do not get to deride my faith and call me godless on national telecinema and get away with it. No sir! I am a faithful Christian. I believe in Christ’s message of love and forgiveness, and that we are called to show that love to our fellow man. It is precisely because of my Christian faith that I am a Communalist, not in spite of it.”
“Millions Tune in to Watch Four-Way Debate,” St. Louis Courier, October 12, 1960.

---
LINCOLN, ORTON BEST MCCORKER, SIMPSON IN SECOND DEBATE
WILBURTON, IO - After the second telecinemagraphed debate, this time at the campus of the University of Iowa, most polsters believe that Georgina Lincoln and Sean Orton came out in the lead. This surprises some, who felt that Elijah Simpson would be battling it out with Senator Lincoln for top spot, not trailing behind with the mostly unpopular McCorker. Political science professor Eliza Kent of the University of the United States explained it thus: “Lincoln and Simpson are too much alike in message. A new America says she, a new tomorrow says Simpson. And people are excited about the prospect of electing the first female president. Not to mention the CPUS is one the rise nationally. I wouldn’t be surprised if we even see an elector or two in historically conservative states that have never given any to the CPUS to have at least one vote go to Senator Lincoln. This is why Orton has been able to rise to number two. Somewhere between half and two thirds of Nationalists don’t like McCorker, so they’re siding with him. And since he presents a clearer alternative to Lincoln that the Liberal candidate, undecided voters who find voting for a communalist too radical a choice, Orton makes a nice alternative. He’s young, charismatic, and full of vitality. He’s twenty years younger than Lincoln too, which also adds to the contrast.
“Lincoln, Orton Best McCorker, Simpson in Second Debate,” Franklin Observer, October 20, 1960.

---
LINCOLN TAKES FIRST IN ELECTION, SIMPSON OR ORTON EXPECTED TO SUPPORT
FRANKLIN - Senator Georgina Lincoln of the Communalist Party of the United States has won the most electoral votes in yesterday’s election, 218 out of 582 up for grabs. It takes 292 electoral votes to win the presidency, so it is likely expected that either Elijah Simpson (who won 164 votes) or Sean Orton (who won 132 votes) will lend their support and push Lincoln past the finish line. In fourth place, Senator McCorker’s independent bid for the presidency managed to gain 68 electoral votes, robbing Orton of second place.
“Lincoln Takes First in Election, Simpson or Orton Expected to Support,” Boston Eagle, November 2, 1960.

---
SIMPSON GIVES SUPPORT TO LINCOLN: WE ARE OVERDUE FOR A FEMALE PRESIDENT
FRANKLIN - Representative Elijah Simpson announced today that he would be giving the 164 electors he won during the election two weeks ago over to Senator Georgina Lincoln’s campaign, effectively making her the winner of the 1960 presidential election. In his statement, Simpson told reporters that, “The Liberal and Communalist Party, while not seeing eye to eye on a vast number of issues, believe in the overall vision of a brighter future for the average American citizen, not the rich elite. Nor do we believe that the role of the federal government is to shy away into obscurity and allow for a hodgepodge of state regulations to strangle our united republic. Therefore, I am giving my full support to Senator Lincoln. And frankly, we are overdue for a female president. We are the last member of the North American Union to have never had a female leader.”
“Simpson Gives Support to Lincoln: We are Overdue for a Female President,” Brooklyn Standard, November 15, 1960.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At long last, the Priest Presidency update is finished!

I hope you enjoy! Like I said earlier, this will probably be the last new update for a little while. Grad school work is going to start increasing over the next month and a half and I need to focus there. I'll still be working on this as I can, but I doubt I will have a new full update like this until May at the earliest.

As always, any question, suggestions, or critiques, feel free to post them below. Happy to discuss the TL, just won't be able to make another major update for a bit.

Thank you all for your continued support of this TL. Also, if you haven't yet voted for the Turtledoves, this TL is in the running so consider voting for Washington Burns if you haven't already.

Now, on to homework :)

Last edited:
Another great update! Sad to see the Federalists go, but it had seemed inevitable for a while now. Just wasn't any room left for them in the current environment. Also nice to see LGBT rights beginning to progress far earlier than OTL.

What are official and spoken languages of the Uer

The first official language of the UER is a constructed language (basically Esperanto). During the Holtz era, from 1914-1925, it was the ONLY official language. German and French both were spoken during this time of course, but there was official repression.

Since 1926, German and French have been elevated to coequal status, and Italian was added after the Global War.

As of 1960, there is still official encouragement to use the ConLang, but probably only 1 in 5 would be considered “native” speakers of it.

Another great update! Sad to see the Federalists go, but it had seemed inevitable for a while now. Just wasn't any room left for them in the current environment. Also nice to see LGBT rights beginning to progress far earlier than OTL.

Yeah I found it sad as well. But four parties was starting to get unwieldy. Could see another major party in the future. But only time will tell. For now it’ll just be the Nationalists, Liberals, and Communalists.

And yes, in general this TL is seeing earlier improvement of human rights of all stripes as one of its hallmarks. Earlier African American rights, earlier rights for women. This just seemed a natural extension of that.

1. Is a ban of handgun sales/ownership really plausible? I would've thought that the AAA supporters could've gotten it changed to have it involve registration of all privately-owned handguns.
  2. How big is the German Republic?

It's finally back! I plan on reading this very soon.

Hope you enjoy it!

1. Is a ban of handgun sales/ownership really plausible? I would've thought that the AAA supporters could've gotten it changed to have it involve registration of all privately-owned handguns.
  2. How big is the German Republic?

1. Gun registration was done in the 1910s after the Dixiana Rebellion. The Supreme Court held this up in 1910 (J. Roosevelt v. United States), and the Federal Security Service has had a registry since the mid-1910s. And the court has ruled differently in regards to the Second Amendment, starting with J. Roosevelt v. US. The basic difference ITTL from OTL, is that in OTL the Supreme Court has ruled that the "establishment clause" of the 2nd Amendment (in order for there to be a well regulated militia) isn't the focus of the amendment, and that the individual right to own a weapon is the focus (this is also a relatively modern occurrence, in the 19th and early 20th century the court ruled very differently). ITTL, this modern shift we are familiar with to individual right to self defense and ownership of firearms isn't really happening. Also helps that the US ITTL is having to share more of the continent with its neighbors and several of those countries already have such bans in place, so outside pressure is a thing.

2. Not super big. Think OTL West Germany, minus Baden-Wuerttemburg and Bavaria (so, basically Northwest Germany).