Washington Burns: A Story of Alternate America

I've not finished the last update quite yet, but I'm a little bummed that Prince William Victor wasn't actually gay. Like, "oh, dear, you need a nice wife!"

"Er, well, mother, about that..."

Then this could have been used to show an alternate path for how LGBT+ people are viewed and treated here. (The older, and arguably more accurate, vernacular of "homophile" being the proper term ITTTL would be a nice touch.)

Now, back to reading. Aside from that minor "IMO this could have been used better", I'm enjoying it so far!

(Sorry for any spelling errors; zealous typing, small buttons, and large fingers make for a bad combination!)

Not to nitpick, but what is President King's first name? He could be penalised for flip-flopping on such a crucial issue.
Anyways, lovely update. Contrasting the hope & reform going on in the New World with the gradual breakdown in affairs of the Old was an excellent choice.
Does Governor Barnett have any foreign policy experience? The State offer may be a poison chalice, especially if he doesn't move with the national concensus on the War.
I also see you're nudging the Libs & Feds into something resembling cooperation in the Executive Department. I've always enjoyed a good joint ticket, & the intrigue between the two parties in Congress would be all the more interesting. Not to mention the breakdown of their cooperation could serve as a nice way to bite them in '48 without spilling any blood.
And of course, it's always nice to give Canada a little limelight. They deserve it.
Good luck & happy summer!

When I first wrote King in as part of Hawkins' cabinet, I wrote Bernard. But somehow transcribed that into Benjamin, which I think I like better. I'll go back and fix the error. Thanks for catching it!

As for Barnett....I don't think he has a lot of direct experience with that. What that will mean during the King administration...I'm not sure yet.

Combo tickets and multiparty coalitions has been one of the hallmarks of this TL and I intend to keep that up. And you're right, I do think the intrigue that it requires will keep things more interesting.

I've not finished the last update quite yet, but I'm a little bummed that Prince William Victor wasn't actually gay. Like, "oh, dear, you need a nice wife!"

"Er, well, mother, about that..."

Then this could have been used to show an alternate path for how LGBT+ people are viewed and treated here. (The older, and arguably more accurate, vernacular of "homophile" being the proper term ITTTL would be a nice touch.)

Now, back to reading. Aside from that minor "IMO this could have been used better", I'm enjoying it so far!

(Sorry for any spelling errors; zealous typing, small buttons, and large fingers make for a bad combination!)

Haha! I hadn't honestly considered him for that. You're right, it would have been interesting, but I think a little premature. I do plan for LGBT+ rights to move forward early than in OTL (in keeping with how women's rights have moved forward earlier than OTL), likely during or as part of the aftermath of the brewing conflict in Europe. Possibly a popular war hero "coming out" or something like that, which then elevates the issue. America is religiously different than OTL as well, so that likely will be a factor in how things will change. Any suggestions I'd be open to hearing.

Hope you liked the rest of what you read. Going to start to work on the next update soon. Been busy with a lot of travel, but I'm home now and I have the time to write again.

Can we consider that the UER entered a Khrushchevian phase, or is the worst part for it still coming?
(the quote about "All religious schools were closed save a few state-sanctioned seminaries that were under constant observation, and those would close down in 1920 and not reopen until the 1940s following the end of the Global War." suggest that there's still bad times ahead).
Hope the Global War ends with its replacement with a democracy.

Can we consider that the UER entered a Khrushchevian phase, or is the worst part for it still coming?
(the quote about "All religious schools were closed save a few state-sanctioned seminaries that were under constant observation, and those would close down in 1920 and not reopen until the 1940s following the end of the Global War." suggest that there's still bad times ahead).
Hope the Global War ends with its replacement with a democracy.

I'm leaning towards something like this. It'll be a bit different, as the new regime will have to switch very quickly from post-coup desire for change and reforms to being on a war footing, which isn't the best time to shake up how the state is structured. The worst crackdowns and such from the Holtz era will be curtailed, but more thorough reforms will end up waiting until after the war is over in the 1940s.

And as of my tentative mapping out into the 1960s, the UER won't actually collapse, but we will see greater democratic reforms implemented.

Haha! I hadn't honestly considered him for that. You're right, it would have been interesting, but I think a little premature. I do plan for LGBT+ rights to move forward early than in OTL (in keeping with how women's rights have moved forward earlier than OTL), likely during or as part of the aftermath of the brewing conflict in Europe. Possibly a popular war hero "coming out" or something like that, which then elevates the issue. America is religiously different than OTL as well, so that likely will be a factor in how things will change. Any suggestions I'd be open to hearing.
Well, I wouldn't want to spoil anything in case you end up using my suggestions, so I'll PM you.

Hope you liked the rest of what you read.
I did! As happy as I am to see a more sensible and peaceful US, I think it would've been interesting to see Garnett win out. But then, we've had too many administrations end in scandal or death lately, and Garnett's hypothetical administration doubtlessly would have ended in one or the other.

Overall, I'm anticipating King's presidency.

Well, I wouldn't want to spoil anything in case you end up using my suggestions, so I'll PM you.

I did! As happy as I am to see a more sensible and peaceful US, I think it would've been interesting to see Garnett win out. But then, we've had too many administrations end in scandal or death lately, and Garnett's hypothetical administration doubtlessly would have ended in one or the other.

Overall, I'm anticipating King's presidency.

Please! feel free to PM me. Love to hear what you have in mind, bc I'd like to include this in the TL.

Garnett? Do you mean Barnett, the Federalist, or Cantor, the pro-war nationalist? Barnett would essentially have been a continuation of Hawkins, being very "America First," in the sense of North America, not just the USA. Cantor, on the other hand, would have wanted to start building up military preparations right away, and such a stance really was unpopular at the time.

Another factor that complicates the early 30s while the war is starting in Europe, is that there is no clear majority in just who to support. Until the recent military coup, the UER had been becoming more and more of a boogey man in American politics, something that the CPUS was having to fight hard against. So, the UER and Communalist rebels in Italy vs. the Italian Empire and the Kingdom of Prussia is drawing people into several different camps. Prussia is generally seen as too reactionary for most Americans, but the Holtz-era UER is still too fresh for most, and more long term reforms under the new government haven't happened yet for people to be gung ho about supporting them.

Also, yes, I realize that there's been a fair amount (probably too many) presidential deaths and scandals lately. By my reckoning, prior to the War Between the States there were two Presidential deaths (Calhoun in in 1838 and Robert Lee in 1858), but since Hugo Brandt left office in March of 1871, there have been two Presidential deaths and two resignation due to scandal or political pressure. All in the span of about 60 years:
- 1875, President John P. Quincy resigned due to scandal (he'd sired children via the rape of slaves in his youth)
- 1905, President Alexander Fleak died in office
- 1917, President Patrick Hannah resigned under pressure/conflict with the Nationalist party and the First Secretary
- 1923, President J.P. Roosevelt, Jr. died in office

Probably time to dial back the deaths and resignations

So, I have the King Presidency update all outlined (the headlines of each article made, etc). Have a few cultural tidbits that I will include, along with some domestic stuff, but this will be dominated by the growing war in Europe that will eventually drag in the US. The war itself will actually drag into the next presidency, ending in 1938 for the most part, though the dust won't full settle until the 1940s. Lots of post-war upheaval.

I meant Cantor, for the record.

Also, my ideas got carried away, so it'll be a little bit before I send a follow-up PM. Sorry!

Haha, no worries. Look forward to reading your ideas when you've got them all written. I was about to reply to the PM that it had been a LONG 20 minutes, haha.

So, as I'm sitting here watching the World Cup, I realize I haven't actually done a lot with sport development, other than having the Olympics, but even then I've kept the actual sporting events rather vague.

So, I'm not a huge sports guy myself so my knowledge here is lacking, a lot, which is why I haven't touched it much. I'd love some suggestions or help with this, so that the TL can be more well-rounded.

Most major sports that we know of today in the US (and more broadly around the globe) really were developed and standardized to the forms we now would recognize them in the mid-to-late 1800s (Soccer/Football in the 1860s, Baseball in the 1850s, US Football in the 1850s, and Basketball in 1891).

Association Football, Baseball, and US Football all were gradual developments of games that had slowly developed for some time (whereas Basketball was a rather sudden invention by a Canadian working in Massachusetts in 1891), so those big three would likely still exist in *some* form ITTL. Basketball.....I could still see a form of it coming about (again out of the interest of developing an indoor winter sport), but it likely could look much different than what we know of OTL.

IF a form of US Football exists ITTL, I'd like to see it NOT called football, so that we don't have the "soccer/football" terminology split. Maybe US Football as we know it just remains rugby, which as I understand it was at least partly involved in the origin of US Football as we know it.

Other thoughts and suggestions? Like I said, would love input from those who know more about this than I do.

So I've posted an update on the "American Universes" story. Still working on the next installment of the time line. Looking like something might be ready by the end of the month. :)

Chapter 28: The King Presidency (1931-1937)
--- The King Presidency (1931-1937) ---

KING PROMISES GROWTH AND OPPORTUNITY FOR AMERICANS
FRANKLIN - Thousands packed Congress Square as Benjamin King took the presidential oath of office, becoming the 29th man to do so. The crowd thundered cheering approval as the new President took to the podium afterwards and declared, “Today is a New Day in America!” repeating the slogan used during his campaign. In the half-hour address delivered on the steps of Congress Hall, President King told the well-wishers in the square that, “for far too long, this nation has been looking only at recovery, or at things outside our borders. Today, we start looking to our own future, and that future is bright! New jobs. New homes. Increased prosperity for every American.” King has promised to restore the old United States Railway Company, and to increase protections for workers and increase educational opportunities for all American. However, in his speech, no specific plans were laid out, other than a promise to have a bill for the restoration of the national railway service before Congress by the end of the year.
“King Promises Growth and Opportunity for Americans,” Franklin Observer, January 20, 1931.

---
NEW GOVERNMENT RAIL COMPANY UNDER DISCUSSION
FRANKLIN - Following through with one of his much talked about campaign promises, President King held a conference today at Washington House to discuss the reinstitution of a federal railway company, to replace the United States Railway Company that was dissolved and sold off twelve years ago under President J. P. Roosevelt in 1919. The move was controversial at the time, and many feel that it ended up removing more jobs than it created, though the move did give the government needed cash from the sale of all the railway stock and land holdings. President King told the conference at it’s opening that, “we cannot undo overnight what was dismantled back in 1919. But we can look for ways to build something new to replace what was destroyed in haste during the financial crisis. My goal is not a replica of the USDR, but something new that can take its place. This new federal railway should provide new jobs, and help to once again strengthen the nation’s infrastructure.”

Just exactly what the president and his staff have in mind remains to be seen, but some sources close to the team working on the new project have states that the first focus of a new railway company would be service, not ownership of land or tracks. One aide, who requested to remain anonymous, said “the new federal railway project hopes to make smaller inroads back into the nation’s railway network, and gradually grow and retake a position similar to what the USDR looked like, though it likely will not function in the same manner.”
“New Government Rail Company Under Discussion,” Boston Eagle, March 19, 1931.

---
STRASSBURG FALLS TO PRUSSIA
PARIS - Both Prussian and UER officials have reported that the city of Strassburg, which lies along the west bank of the Rhine River and has been considered the primary capital of the Union of European Republics, has fallen after several days of intense fighting. During the battle, tens of thousands of residents have been streaming west, trying to escape to Nancy or places farther west, and have now been joined by retreating People’s Army troops who are trying to regroup at defensive lines that they have set up between Strassburg and Nancy. The Prussian High Command in Berlin has declared this a major breakthrough, saying they hope to push through the UER lines and press on towards Paris, which is now the acting capital of the Union, a move that had been made several weeks ago as it looked like the Prussians might take the city. UER Chairman Walther Hasselbach, however, bellowed defiance in a speech in Paris, proclaiming, “We have lost one city. An important city, but it is only one, out of the tens of thousands of cities and towns that make up our glorious Union. We will regroup, we will rally again to our banners, and we will push the imperialists back from our land!”
“Strassburg Falls to Prussia,” Brooklyn Standard, May 7, 1931.

---
CENSUS RESULTS: 150* MILLION AND GROWING
FRANKLIN - The Federal Census Bureau released the results of the 1930 census today. Official records now show that America now holds more than 150 million people, a growth of more than 25 million from 1920. New York remains the most populous state with over 7 million, followed closely by Ohio at over 6 million. Other than the Western states, most of which have yet to hit a million residents, most of the states in the Union are somewhere in the 4-5 million range. Statisticians at the Census Bureau believe that growth will continue well into the next few decades, but by the middle to latter part of the 20th century they expect that the population of the United States will plateau somewhere between 230-250 million, once the interior states fill in more and some of the still rapidly growing cities peak.
“Census Results: 150* Million and Growing” Manhattan Gazette, May 15, 1931.

*retcon...as pointed out by a reader, the population was way higher than OTL with less territory. I went and adjusted things for THIS update, and eventually will go back and fix previous census results to match.

---
PRUSSIA ANNOUNCES BLOCKADE OF UER ATLANTIC AND CHANNEL PORTS
BERLIN - The Prussian Navy has announced that starting June 14th, a full blockade of the UER ports along the English Channel and the Atlantic coast will commence. In the announcement, Admiral von Hellmann stated bluntly that, “any ship, of any nationality, that approaches the coast of France along the Atlantic Ocean or along the English Channel, will be seized. And if they refuse to stop for the blockade, they will be sunk.” This announcement has sparked outrage in several neutral countries, including the United States, the United Kingdom, and Borealia. President King told the press that he thinks “the idea that a foreign monarch is now dictating trading policy for Americans is untenable,” and that he is directing Secretary of State Elias Barnett to reach out to Berlin and try and get this blockade lifted as soon as possible, to avoid major economic disruptions here at home.
“Prussia Announces Blockade of UER Atlantic and Channel Ports,” St. Louis Courier, June 1, 1931.

---
PARIS BOMBED FROM THE SKIES
PARIS - Parisians are still in shock after several dozen Prussian aircraft flew over early in the afternoon yesterday and dropped bombs on the city. Most of the bombing was done near the industrial quarters on the edge of the UER’s capital, but some air bombers rained terror and destruction on the center of the city, damaging the Hotel de Ville, which serves as the city hall for Paris, and also on the Tuileries Palace, which has been serving as the administrative center of the Union since the government evacuated from Strassburg this past spring. Chairman Walther Hasselbach and all of the senior government officials survived the attack, but it is being reported by authorities from the Metropolitan Police that several hundred may have died in the bombing.

This marks the first time a significant number of aircraft have ever been used in war time to bomb an enemy city, especially one nearly 200 miles from the front lines. Officials from the American War Department have been quoted saying that this bombing of Paris is a “game changer” in how modern wars are fought. No longer will the front lines remain the only theater of the war. Now, any location within flight range of an enemy’s bomber can be a target. Civilians may no longer be safe even if they are well away from the main fighting.
“Paris Bombed From the Skies,” New Orleans Star, September 13, 1931.

---
POPE FLEES TO NAPLES AFTER ATTACK
ROME - Though Rome remains firmly in Imperial hands, a recent rash of mortar attacks and car bombs in and around the Vatican and at other locations has rattled Pope James and members of the Church administration to the point that they feel the Eternal City is no longer safe. Pope James will depart for the Italian capital at Naples, where he will continue to administer the Catholic Church and also serve as a symbol of Italian unity, something that one is hard pressed to find these days. The Communalist leaders of the so-called Italian Republic, which has made its capital in the city of Turin, has called this a major moral victory even though Rome remains in Imperial hands.

While he resides in Naples, the seat of the Roman Catholic Church will be at the Naples Cathedral, also known as the Cathedral of St. Januarius, the city’s most prominent church. His Holiness will reside at an undisclosed residence near the Cathedral.
“Pope Flees to Naples After Attack,” Chicago Herald, October 17, 1931.

---
HAWAIIAN JEWEL CRASHES OVER PACIFIC - ALL FEARED LOST
SAN FRANCISCO - The Hawaiian Jewel, one of the largest airships in the TZS fleet, has gone missing en route to Tokyo shortly after taking off from Honolulu, Hawaii. It is feared at this time that the vessel has crashed into the Pacific, and that all 124 people aboard, 92 of them passengers, have been lost. Ships from both the Hawaiian and the British Navy have been dispatched from Hawaii to try and investigate and see if any remains can be found.

Radio operators in Hawaii lost contact with the Jewel shortly after the crew of the ship reported that there was a storm on the horizon and that they might have to turn around if they couldn’t find a way to navigate around bad weather.
“Hawaiian Jewel Crashes Over Pacific - All Feared Lost,” Texan Times, March 29, 1932.

---
TZS SUSPENDS TRANS-OCEANIC SERVICE DURING INVESTIGATION
NEU FRANKFURT - TZS Chairman Kurt Zeppelin announced today that all oceanic flights by his company would be suspended until it can be determined just what caused the demise of the Hawaiian Jewel over the Pacific Ocean. All 124 souls aboard the vessel have been declared dead. Search and rescue ships have recovered more than two dozen bodies in the sea near where the airship is believed to have gone down, along with a smattering of wreckage. A few surface ships that were nearer to the doomed aircraft report receiving distress signals and the crews of those ships are being interviewed by authorities from Hawaii and from Texas.
“TZS Suspends Trans-Oceanic Service During Investigation,” Franklin Observer, April 6, 1932.

---
WAR WIDENS: SPAIN ATTACKS UER
MARSEILLES - In a surprise attack that is drawing condemnation from several neutral nations including the United States, the Kingdom of Spain bombarded the coastal city of Marseilles from ships that it sailed into the port overnight. The citizens of Marseilles awoke yesterday morning to explosions as shells from the Spanish Navy came crashing into their city. As this action took place, the 61-year-old Spanish King, Alejandro I, took to the wireless and announced that, for the safety of the Kingdom, the UER must be crushed and the danger of communalism stamped out before it could spread any further. Conscription notices are said to be going out and the Spanish Army is mobilizing, and officials in the UER fear that Spanish forces could be crossing the Pyrenees Mountains or landing on the southern French coastline within weeks.

In Marseilles, city officials fear that more than one hundred people were killed in what is now the second most deadliest attack on civilians in this war, after more than 500 people were killed in Paris last September when Prussia bombed that city from the air.
“War Widens: Spain Attacks UER,” Boston Eagle, April 20, 1932.

---
The Spanish bombardment of Marseilles on April 20, 1932 was just the opening salvo of a larger military action by Spain against the Union of European Republics. King Alejandro I and most other political leaders believed that communalism had the potential to be an existential threat to the Spanish Kingdom, and saw the Global War as an opportunity to bring the communalist regime to their north east to an end. As the Spanish navy bombarded Marseilles, Spanish soldiers crossed the UER-Spanish border at several points, catching the small garrisons stationed there off guard. It would take the better part of a month before the UER could move large numbers of soldiers from the Eastern Front to try and stop the Spanish invasion. By then, Bayonne and Perpignan were both occupied by Spain, as was the Principality of Andorra.

Having secured the border, the Spaniards began to focus on Toulouse, would would be a major blow to the UER if it fell. The Union’s forces were spread thin, and there was real fear in Paris that their now divided forces would be unable to stop either the Spanish or the Prussians in their continued advances. Luckily for the UER, the events of June of 1932 would bring in another major player into the war, this time on their side, providing the People’s Army the relief it needed to ultimately drive the Spaniards back towards the border by early 1933.

Grover, Dr. Bradley. The Global War’s Western Front: The Spanish Invasion. Manhattan: Global Press, 2001.

---
FEDERAL RAILWAY BILL PASSES CONGRESS
FRANKLIN - In a major domestic success for President King, the Federal Railway Bill has passed both houses of Congress and is expected to be signed into law by the President during a ceremony tomorrow at Washington House. The new law establishes the Federal Railway Company, and also the Federal Railway Administration. The FRC will be a new rail service set to launch within the next two years. The law states that within a decade, all passenger service must be turned over to the FRC. An assessment of current companies in existence will be taken, and those that are underperforming will be nationalized, and more profitable companies will be bought out within the next ten years. The FRA will be a federal agency tasked with standardizing the nation’s railway network. Under the current plan, the railway infrastructure will remain in private hands, though many speculate that eventually the network will be reclaimed by the federal government in some form or fashion.
“Federal Railway Bill Passes Congress,” Brooklyn Standard, May 11, 1932.

---
PASSENGER LINER TITANIA SUNK BY PRUSSIAN SUBS!
LONDON - The British Admiralty has announced that the famous luxury ocean liner Titania, owned and operated by the White Star Line has been sunk by Prussian subs in the English Channel en route to Liverpool, having left Manhattan on May 23rd. It is unclear how many of the 3,329 people aboard were able to escape the sinking ship, but many in Britain are expecting a high loss of life. Nearby rescue ships reported that the ship was under water in less than an hour, and some eyewitness accounts from survivors state that they believe that more than one Prussian torpedo struck the ship on its starboard side, causing a terrible list that prevented the launch of half the ship’s lifeboats.

The Titania had been in service for White Star since its launch in 1916, the second of a trio of ships built by the company for the trans-Atlantic service. The first ship of the trio, the Olympia, is currently in dry-dock receiving a major overhaul of both its engines and also its interior, while the third ship in the trio of course was the ill-fated Gigantia, which sank on its maiden voyage to New York in 1918 after striking an iceberg in the North Atlantic.
“Passenger Liner Titania Sunk By Prussian Subs!” Manhattan Gazette, May 29, 1932.

---
POPE JAMES TO GO ABROAD
NAPLES - Following an explosion at St. Januarius Cathedral in Naples, which has served as the temporary seat of the Roman Catholic Church ever since Pope James fled Rome in October of 1931, it has been decided that His Holiness will leave Italy until the war is over and it is safe for himself and the Church administration to return. The Holy Father has accepted the invitation of Brazilian Empress Maria II to reside in Sao Paulo. This will mark the first time in 556 years that the papacy will not be located in what is now Italy.
“Pope James To Go Abroad,” Boston Eagle, June 8, 1932.

---
LION’S ROAR: BRITAIN DECLARES WAR ON PRUSSIA
LONDON - Three days ago, the British Admiralty released it’s official report on the sinking of the Titania off the coast of Britain. The document stated that, “while we believe the Prussian submarine vessel Konig Frederick Wilhelm V had misjudged their location and believed themselves to be within the official blockade zone established by the Kingdom of Prussian against the Union of European Republics, their failure to signal the liner Titania and subsequent firing of two torpedoes against an unarmed passenger vessel to represent a gross indecency against the United Kingdom and against greater human decency.” These shocking words have caused a great uproar from the British public, and today their cries were answered, when Prime Minister Charles Wheaton took to the airwaves and announced, “Citizens of Britain, the murder of nearly two-thousand innocent souls aboard the liner Titania has unleashed an anguish that has not been seen in this nation since the murder of Victoria the Great by the hands of her own brother. But today, unlike in 1899, the target of our anger is clear: The Kingdom of Prussia and its unlawful blockade of the Union of European Republics. Yesterday, I instructed Foreign Minister Churchill to telegram King Augustus in Berlin demanding an end to the blockade and formal restitution for the families of the victims of the Titania. Berlin replied this morning that no such action would occur on their part, that the Titania was just an innocent bystander caught in the crosshairs of a great struggle. It is now my solemn duty to report to you that a state of war now exists between the United Kingdom of Great Britain and the Kingdom of Prussia.” Queen Victoria III is expected to address her subjects via the wireless tomorrow, rallying her people to their colors.
“Lion’s Roar: Britain Declares War on Prussia,” Manhattan Gazette, June 24, 1932.

---
HAWAIIAN JEWEL DISASTER RULED PILOT ERROR
TEXOPOLIS - The multi-national investigation team looking into the tragic loss of the airship Hawaiian Jewel that crashed over the Pacific en route to Tokyo back in April has released their preliminary findings, stating that they believe it was pilot error, not structural error, that caused the accident that claimed the lives of all 124 people aboard the Zeppelin aircraft. Reports from ships close to where the vessel went down state that they remained in radio contact long after Hawaiian officials lost contact, and say that the captain of the Jewel reported a loss of their long range radio mast, and that they were going to attempt to keep going to try and make it to Tokyo on time. This goes directly against standard TZS operating procedure which is to avoid flying directly into large storms. TZS Chairman Kurt Zeppelin stated that, “Captain Franks should have turned the ship around and returned to Hawaii instead of trying to sail right through the storm that ultimately claimed his life and the lives of the other 123 people aboard the Hawaiian Jewel.”

What is important in the findings of the investigation is that the ship itself was not unsafe, so it is expected that TZS will soon resume airship travel across the ocean, which was suspended after the accident.
“Hawaiian Jewel Disaster Ruled Pilot Error,” St. Louis Courier, September 5, 1932.

---
GLOBAL WAR? CONFLICT SPREADS TO ASIA
TOKYO - In what is being labeled a blatant land grab, the Empire of China, which has been a nominal ally of the Kingdom of Prussia for more than a decade, has declared war on and invaded the British client state of Choson, which has been closely tied to Britain since the 1880s. Specifically a target of the Chinese Navy will be the British port cities of Incheon and Busan, but there is a real fear among the royal court of King Gojong III in Pyongyang that China will try to annex all of Choson.

This fear of Chinese expansion is being felt all over East Asia, especially in Japan, where President Tokitake Kagawa gave an address before the Federal Assembly where he called on the legislators to “make all haste in preparing Japan to defend itself in the face of the dragons from the West.” While President Kagawa stopped short of declaring war on China in the face of the declaration against Choson, many in the region fear that it is only a matter of when. The Federal Assembly gave Kagawa’s statement a standing ovation, and moved swiftly to pass legislation to put Japan on a path to prepare for war. Military conscription was already put into effect six months ago but is now expected to be expanded, and more funds are expected to be put towards military spending.

With this action by China, what started out as a yet another regional conflict in Europe now seems to be spreading, turning into what may be the first ever global war. There are a small but growing number of Americans that think the United States should join the fray, but they remain a minority (and divided, as some want the US to support Prussia, while more are in support of the UER). Washington House has kept a consistent message that President King and his cabinet oppose entry into this war.
“Global War? Conflict Spreads to Asia” Chicago Herald, October 6, 1932.

---
TZS FLIGHTS TO ASIA RESUME, EUROPE ON HOLD DUE TO WAR
NEU FRANKFURT - The Texas Zeppelin Service has announced that flights to Japan and the Philippines will resume in 1933. Chairman Kurt Zeppelin told those gathered at the company headquarters in Neu Frankfurt that “the multiparty investigative team that looked into the Hawaiian Jewel has confirmed that the design of our long-range ships are safe, that the tragedy that occured last April was due to human error, not the craft itself. With this, we believe that it is time to resume our long range service to Asia in next year’s flying season.” (TZS suspends service yearly from November to February due to the more volatile nature of winter weather in the Northern Hemisphere, and to allow for yearly routine maintenance.)

TZS has decided, however, that service to Europe will remain suspended due to the expanding nature of the war there, since Britain has joined the fray and there is concern that the ships might be attacked on accident if trying to fly to London or Paris or Berlin.
“TZS Flights to Asia Resume, Europe on Hold Due to War,” New Orleans Star, October 29, 1932.

---
PRO AND ANTI WAR DIVIDE CLEAR IN CONGRESSIONAL ELECTION
FRANKLIN - As the so-called Global War continues to brew in Europe and Asia, the discussion about whether or not the United States should get involved has made itself known in this year’s Congressional elections. The Federalists and Liberals are in clear and unequivocal opposition to any American involvement in the current war, while the Nationalists are firmly in support of US involvement and the Communalists are divided on the subject but overall support sending some sort of aide to the Union of European Republics. In states that have seen almost no Nationalist representation for decades, a few Nationalist candidates were able to win on a pro-interventionist platform, while in states that have been sending unified blocs of only Nationalists have seen the first Liberals or Federalists elected. Still, the Nationalists saw a net gain of 8 seats, going from 106 seats to 114. The CPUS only lost 3 seats bringing them to 102. The biggest upset was that the Liberals dropped from 171 seats to 158, and the Federalists went up from 118 seats to 126.

It is unlikely that we will actually see any change in the leadership of the House, with the Liberal-Federalist coalition remaining in the clear majority with a combined 284 seats, well over the 251 needed to control the chamber. In addition, even though the Nationalists and Communalists both support some sort of intervention in Europe, the agree on almost no other major policy issue and an alliance between the two parties would be highly unlikely, and would also require defecting votes from either the Federalists or Liberals, also something that remains unlikely. This means that First Secretary Wallace Pratt, who’s been in office since 1923 under President J.P. Roosevelt, will likely continue in office. It is possible that there might be a slight cabinet shuffle to add one more Federalist, but otherwise no major change is expected.
“Pro and Anti War Divide Clear in Congressional Election,” Franklin Observer, November 10, 1932.

---
JAPAN RALLIES AFTER CHINESE ATTACK
TOKYO - It’s been barely three months since China invaded Choson, claiming to be acting on behalf of their ally Prussia and attacking a British ally, and now the war in Asia is widening again. Yesterday, the Chinese Navy launched several raids against towns on the southwest island of Kyushu and also attacked ships in the Sea of Japan. That evening, the Japanese President Tokitake Kagawa announced a declaration of war against the Empire of China. With a second combatant in the Asian theater of the Global War, there is some hope that China might be slowed in Choson, where, despite the onset of winter weather, the Chinese Army has had major successes, having successfully taken the port city of Incheon in November and also having crossed the Chinese-Chosonese border in December and driving southwards towards the Chosonese capital at Pyongyang.

Although not at big as China, Japan has done a good job at building up their western-style military capabilities in the decades since the establishment of their republic following the end of their civil war in 1909. Ultimately the war in Asia will come down to a game of better technology and strategy versus sheer number of people that can be placed under arms. Which will ultimately count for more remains to be seen, but it is unlikely that the war in Asia will be a quick fight.
“Japan Rallies After Chinese Attack,” Astoria Dispatch, January 4, 1933.

---
FEDERAL RAILWAY COMPANY OPENS DOORS
GEORGETOWN, MD - In an official ceremony attended by President King and Secretary of the Interior George Castor, the Federal Railway Company opened its new headquarters in the Claymore Exchange building in downtown Georgetown. The FRC was established last May with the passage of the Federal Railway Act, and in the following months President King named Jonathan Peters, a former regional administrator for the old US Railway Company as the new FRC director. Peters, working with the new Federal Railway Administration and the powers given in the new law, had the FRC take over the passenger service from more than a dozen smaller companies that were offering what the federal government calls “substandard and inconsistent passenger service,” consolidating those services into the new FRC. Eventually, all passenger service in the United States will be operated by the new railway company.
“Federal Railway Company Opens Doors,” St. Louis Courier, February 17, 1933.

---
ROME FALLS TO REBELS
TURIN - After many months of hard fighting, the rebel banner of the Italian Republican Army now flies over Rome. The city had largely been abandoned by Imperial officials months ago, and the Pope and administration of the Catholic Church had fled a year and a half ago, so the victory now is more symbolic than strategic. Now, the IRA will begin focusing on trying to strike at the Italian capital at Naples in an attempt to bring an end to the war in Italy and also bringing about an end to the Italian Empire. Chairman Hasselbach of the UER, the IRA’s ally in this fight, praised the “brave fighters who fought back the imperialist hordes and restored freedom to the Eternal City,” in an address given via the wireless.
“Rome Falls to Rebels,” Franklin Observer, March 18, 1933.

---
BATTLE OF NUREMBERG ENDS IN UER VICTORY
LYON - After nothing but retreat or stalemate, the Union of European Republics seems to have reversed some of their misfortune. Commanders in the field are reporting that the Battle of Nuremberg, in Upper Bavaria, has ended in a victory for the People’s Army. Last week, Prussia launched a major offensive drive to the South, seeming to be aiming ultimately for Munich, when the European People’s Army put up a massive defensive line to the north of the city of Nuremberg. The battle is being described as one of the most destructive of the war so far, with hundreds of thousands of men dead or wounded, and has left much of Nuremberg in shambles, with major artilary bombardments from both armies in addition to aerial bombardment. But the Prussians now are retreating northwards, meaning that their Munich push has collapsed.
“Battle of Nuremberg Ends in UER Victory,” Boston Eagle, May 3, 1933.

---
PRESIDENT KING OPENS 3RD NORTH AMERICAN CONFERENCE
MANHATTAN - President Benjamin King welcomed Borealian Prime Minister Hiram Clinton, Californian Chancellor Samuel Ortiz, Texan President Hans Martinez, and Mexican Prime Minister Jose Hernandez at the opening of the 3rd North American Conference, being held at Hamilton Hall in the District of Manhattan. In his opening remarks, President King said, “At the opening of the First North American Conference six years ago, my predecessor President Hawkins pointed out the European knack for tearing their continent apart in senseless wars, and called upon our five nations to be better than our cousins across the Atlantic and preserve here in North America a long and lasting peace. Those words resonate now more than ever, as the smoke and stench of battle hangs over Europe once again. It is my hope that the work we do here in this third conference will ensure that our own continent will remain peaceful and prosperous.”

Like with so many other things, the Global War is expected to dominate the conference. While the United States remains committed to neutrality, Borealia has already started shipping arms to Britain to aid in their war effort, and there’s been discussions ongoing in their Parliament about allowing volunteers to go and serve in Britain. California and Mexico seem generally committed to neutrality, while the Texas Federation has already had several heated debates in their National Assembly about possibly supporting the UER in the ongoing conflict. Some delegates to the conference have proposed some sort of military pact prior to their journey to Manhattan, but it remains to be seen if such a proposal will be supported by all of the conference nations or not.
“President King Opens 3rd North American Conference,” Manhattan Gazette, June 5, 1933.

---
STUTTGART FALLS TO PRUSSIA
LYON - In a major setback for the Union of European Republics, the Prussian Army has taken the city of Stuttgart as part of their campaign to secure what they call “Greater Rhineland.” Despite earlier successes against the Prussians back in May, there is a growing fear among some observers that the Prussians might make a successful push farther south and separate Bavaria from the rest of the UER, though such a move is likely to come with a high price tag. It is estimated that more than 100,000 Prussians were lost in the assault on Stuttgart.
“Stuttgart Falls to Prussia,” Chicago Herald, July 5, 1933.

---
MANHATTAN TREATY SIGNED, END OF 3RD NA CONFERENCE
MANHATTAN - The United States, Borealia, California, Mexico, and Texas have all signed the Manhattan Treaty, marking the conclusion of the Third North American Conference. The Treaty establishes a loose military alliance, saying that if one nation is attacked, such an attack will be considered an attack on all the signatory nations, and all said nations will render aide to the nation that was attacked. This wording is considered vague enough that it may not actually result in any direct military commitment from other nations, but instead requiring monetary or humanitarian aid.

In addition, the treaty lays out a framework to be revisited at the next conference for setting up an open trade agreement. This has been a long term goal of the conferences since the first meeting in 1927, and it looks like it should be achievable by the next conference in 1936.
“Manhattan Treaty Signed, End of 3rd NA Conference,” Brooklyn Standard, August 2, 1933.

---
BRITISH FORCES LAND IN NORMANDY TO AID UER
PARIS - After over a year since the declaration of war against Prussia, with only a few minor naval engagements to speak of, large numbers of British soldiers are being sent to Northern France in advance of joint military operations being planned against the Kingdom of Prussia. Prime Minister Charles Wheaton stated in an address to Parliament that, “Our men go off to France today to prepare for a mighty strike against the Prussian horde that has disturbed the peace of Europe for the past three years. It is the hope and prayer of everyone in this government that, with British aid, the war in Europe can be brought ot a swift conclusion, and that the bloodshed can be brought to a close.”
“British Forces Land in Normandy to Aid UER,” Boston Eagle, August 14, 1933.

---
PRUSSIAN KING DEAD, 30 YEAR-OLD SON TAKES THRONE
BERLIN - 59 year old King Augustus, who has ruled Prussia for only 5 years, has died of a heart attack at the City Palace in Berlin. His only son, Prince Karl Friedrich, will take the throne as King Karl Friedrich II. The thirty year old heir had been serving near the front, and is now reportedly rushing back to Berlin to take command. What this will mean for the course of the war is anyone’s guess. The new king was raised to rule, and few who reportedly know him well would describe him as flippant when it comes to his duties. However, most people expected his father to live for several more decades, and few people can truly be prepared to take over a nation in the throws of a great war at a moment’s notice.
“Prussian King Dead, 30 Year-Old Son Takes Throne,” Franklin Observer, September 26, 1933.

---
PREPARATION ACT NARROWLY PASSES
FRANKLIN - The controversial National Military Preparation Act has passed the House of Representatives by a narrow vote of 260 votes in favor, after passing the Senate last week. Washington House has remained quiet on the President’s opinion of the bill, so it is unknown at this time whether or not he will sign it. The law would establish the first-ever peacetime conscription in the United States, and expand military spending. The bill was proposed by Maryland Senator Harrison Polk of the Nationalist party, and spent several weeks being debated in the Senate before it finally passed on to the House.

Support for entering the war does seem to slowly be building, but based on recent polling data, it still is well below 50% of the population. What has shifted in the past few years is who Americans think the nation should intervene on the behalf of. More than two thirds now support joining the side of the UER, as opposed to less than a third who want to help Prussia. This shift really started after the Prussians sank the British ocean liner Titania last year.
“Preparation Act Narrowly Passes,” Manhattan Gazette, October 1, 1933.

---
TZS RECORDS MAJOR SLUMP - HAWAIIAN JEWEL BLAMED
NEU FRANKFURT - The Texas Zeppelin Service appears to have suffered a major slump in passengers for the 1933 flying season, and company officials and industry watchers are both pointing to the crash of the Hawaiian Jewel in the Spring of 1932. “The crash made people more nervous about flying generally, and of trans-oceanic journeys in particular. When you factor that in with the suspension of service to Europe because of the war, and the fact that both Japan and China are now at war, people are more hesitant to fly,” said industry expert Michael Wray, who writes for the Continental Engineering & Science Magazine based in St. Louis. Use of overland routes are reported to have been down by more than 20%, and the overseas flights to Japan and the Philippines are down closer to 45%, and there is concern that this trend will continue for the next few years.
“TZS Records Major Slump - Hawaiian Jewel Blamed,” New Orleans Star, December 4, 1933.

---
BRITISH BOMB BERLIN
LONDON - Fire and death rained down on the Prussian capital of Berlin yesterday, the first time during this war that a Prussian city has faced such treatment. The British Army Air Corps sent nearly 50 bombers along with fighter escort. The bombers mostly targeted government facilities in the center of the city, along with military installations nearby. It is unclear at this time just how many were injured or killed, but preliminary reports put the number in the thousands. No bombs fell on the American Embassy, but one did land on and severely damage the city’s iconic Brandenburg Gate. The Imperial Palace was also reportedly hit several times.
“British Bomb Berlin,” Frankfurt Observer, January 27, 1934.

---
PRESIDENT KING ANNOUNCES CONVOYS
FRANKLIN - Due to the increasing hostility in Europe, President King has announced that the US Navy will start escorting ships to Europe, and that ships will no longer sail on their own but in large convoys of passenger and cargo ships. Some in the shipping industry have filed complaints against this action, saying that this will severely complicate and hamper shipping, while others have praised the move as a way to protect American interests in Europe. The new regulation was announced with immediate effect, and will apply to all American ships sailing to Europe. Ships going to Africa or South America will not be affected, nor will ships sailing to Asia. It is unclear at this time just how many ships from the Navy will be deployed for each convoy, but Washington House was very clear, “no American flagged ship will sail to Europe unaccompanied until the hostilities on that continent cease.”

Some fear that this may provoke an incident with one or more of the belligerent powers in Europe, seeing this as an act of defiance to the various blockades going on. There are others that think the President is doing this exact thing on purpose. Ever since he signed the Preparation Act back in October, his comments to the press concerning the Global War seem to point to a shift in attitude about getting involved, from outright opposed to quietly resigned to what some see as an inevitability.
“President King Announces Convoys,” Brooklyn Standard, February 15, 1934.

---
WOC CANCELS MADRID GAMES
AMSTERDAM - The World Olympic Committee has announced that this summer’s World Olympic Games, set to be held in Madrid, are cancelled due to the ongoing conflicts in Europe and Asia. In the official statement, WOC Chairman Henri Trudeau stated, “one of the goals of the World Olympic Committee is to foster peace and goodwill among the nations of the world. It is impossible to achieve this when the host nation for the games is currently engaged in a war of aggression with its neighbors. Furthermore, with so many nations involved in this global conflict and with travel heavily interrupted across much of the Earth, it would be a logistical nightmare to try and hold the games this year.” The WOC declined to comment on whether or not Madrid would be allowed to host the games in 1938 instead. One aide to Mr. Trudeau told the press that it would likely depend on the course of the war and where things were sitting at closer to that year. This marks the first time that the games have been cancelled due military conflict.

Members of the American Olympic Council have proposed that the United States host an event for US athletes, and possibly those from the rest of North America, so that the athletes that had been preparing for the Madrid games can still compete and keep up their training. The AOC will meet next week in Manhattan to discuss this proposal.
“WOC Cancels Madrid Games,” Boston Eagle, February 28, 1934.

---
BRITISH/UER FORCES LAY SIEGE TO COLOGNE
PARIS - The Combined Allied Forces, comprised of a mix of British and UER troops have surrounded the city of Cologne in the Kingdom of Prussia, cutting of several large Prussian Army units in the city. Allied commanders say they intend to lay siege to the city, that it would be too dangerous to leave this pocket of enemy combatants behind the primary line as the British and UER soldiers push further east. Despite statements on the wireless to the contrary, most officials in Paris and London think that the Prussians are not equipped to hold out more than a few weeks.
“British/UER Forces Lay Siege to Cologne,” Chicago Herald, March 2, 1934.

---
ZEPPELIN ATTACKED NEAR TOKYO - TZS TO SUSPEND ALL OVERSEAS FLIGHT DUE TO WAR
TOKYO - As it was approaching the Japanese coast, the TZS vessel Pacific Maiden was reportedly attacked by Chinese aircraft. Initial reports indicate that the aircraft was strafed twice, and that there were some severe injuries and moderate damage to the ship, which had to make an emergency landing on a farm well south of Tokyo. TZS Chairman Kurt Zeppelin announced that the company would pay for passengers return to the United States or California by sea, and that the damaged ship would remain in Japan for repair. Furthermore, Mr. Zeppelin went on to say that, until the war was over, all overseas Zeppelin flights would be suspended.
“Zeppelin Attacked Near Tokyo - TZS to Suspend All Overseas Flights Due to War,” Texan Times, March 30, 1934.

---
The Global War was a time of hardship for the Zeppelin Company. With the loss of the Hawaiian Jewel in 1932 followed by the suspension of flights to Europe, the attack on the Pacific Maiden in 1934 and the end of flights to any overseas destination, profits plummeted. Worse yet, public confidence in airship travel had taken a big hit with the loss of the Jewel, and there had been no time to recover before the attack on the Maiden. To make matters even worse, the United States would enter the war later in 1934, along with the Texas Federation. The demand for passenger airship service continued to drop as fewer people were using the service, opting for the cheaper train fare in most cases. Texas then demanded that TZS turn over a good portion of its fleet to expand the Texan Air Corps, which used the impressed vessels to patrol the Gulf of Mexico and help the Americans patrol the Atlantic Coast. A few ships even saw service in Europe as scouts. In 1931, before all the setbacks, there had been nearly 100 flights in North America, 20 flights to Europe, and 10 to Asia. In 1935, there were only 40 domestic flights.

To help out with the war effort, and to make ends meet, Zeppelin Airship Works began to also produce heavier-than-air craft to sell to the Texan and American air forces. No new airships would be built between 1934-1940. Further hurting things and putting the future of the company in doubt was the 1936 death of Kurt Zeppelin. The son of the company’s founder, Kurt Zeppelin had taken control following his father’s death in 1916 and had worked tirelessly to see the company expand in the 1920s and was really seen as the lifeblood of the Zeppelin enterprises.
Anderson, Dr. Jacob. The Zeppelin Story. Nacogdoches: TU Press, 1999.

---
COLOGNE FALLS TO BRITS/UER
PARIS - After a month of siege, the Prussian troops in Cologne have surrendered to the allied forces of Britain and the UER. The city itself is reported to be in ruins after a month of bombardment and the final days of street fighting that ultimately convinced the Prussians to surrender. Despite the destruction, and the high cost to take the city, UER officials are calling this a huge success. Chairman Hasselbach told the press in Lyon that, “with this victory, the allied troops can now push forward, driving a steak into the heart of the Kingdom of Prussia. They have tried to keep this fight all on our land, but now we take the fight to them.”
“Cologne Falls to Brits/UER,” Boston Eagle, April 2, 1934.

---
AMERICAN SHIPS FIRED UPON, SANK OFF GIBRALTAR!
FRANKLIN - A large convoy of American ships en route to Naples and other points of the eastern Mediterranean was attacked by Spain as they passed Gibraltar. The convoy was being guarded four cruisers and four destroyers, and it appears that both ground based batteries and Spanish naval vessels opened fire on the convoy. Several of the civilian ships were sunk along with two of the US Navy ships, the USS Boston and the USS Hugo Brandt. It is also reported that the American ships were able to sink a few Spanish craft, but just how many remains unclear. The rest of the convoy has turned around, and it is expected that the US Coast Guard will be halting all travel to Europe.

From initial reports being released by the Navy, it appears that the Spanish ships confronted the American convoy and demanded they submit to boarding and inspection, which the convoy commander, Captain James Lee, refused. The convoy then attempted to continue forward and the Spaniards opened fire.

Washington House has reportedly demanded that the Spanish Ambassador come and meet with President King to discuss the incident. Members of Congress have been more vocal about the incident. Representative Zachary Chambers of Oregon, a leading Nationalist in Congress, told reporters that, “We can no longer sit idly by while the world burns. And this attack on our peaceful convoy is only the tip of the iceberg. We must strike back and defend our nation and our allies.” This sentiment was echoed by several other Nationalist and Communalist congressmen, in addition to a few Liberals and Federalists as well.
“American Ships Fired Upon, Sank Off Gibraltar!” Manhattan Gazette, June 25, 1934.

---
PRESIDENT KING: “WE MUST DEFEND OURSELVES!” WAR!
FRANKLIN - After discussions with the Spanish government broke down following the Gibraltar Incident, President King made a special trip to the Congress Hall to address the Representatives and Senators and the nation as a whole. Upon arriving in the House Chamber, packed with all of Congress and members of the press and other civil servants, a somber looking President King took to the central lectern and addressed those assembled.

“My Fellow Citizens, it is with a great sadness that I come before this august assembly today. Ten days ago, ships flying our beloved flag were brutally attacked by the naval forces of the Kingdom of Spain, with hundreds of brave American sailors and innocent civilians sent to a watery grave in the Strait of Gibraltar. Since then, myself and Secretary of State Elias Barnett have tried to negotiate with Spain, trying to find a peaceful solution and compensation for this dastardly act of violence. But today I come before you to inform the nation that no such solution has been found. Therefore, I hereby ask that the Congress declare a state of war between ourselves and the Kingdom of Spain, and those nations which Spain has allied itself with in this ongoing global conflict. We must defend ourselves and our allies and our collective way of life.”

When the President finished his statement, the lawmakers broke out in a standing ovation. Shortly after, First Secretary Wallace Pratt led the House in what ended up being a unanimous vote to declare war against Spain, Prussia, China, and the Italian Empire. This vote was taken up soon after in the Senate, passing 78-2.
“President King: ‘We Must Defend Ourselves!’ War!” Franklin Observer, July 5, 1934.

---
Thanks to the passage of the Preparation Act in October of 1933, the United States was not totally caught off guard when the nation joined the Global War in July of the following year. America had had nine months to start conscription and training new recruits, placing orders for new armaments and built up its military strength. Within a month of the declaration of war, soldiers were en route to Britain to then join the Allied forces east of Cologne. In September, in a retaliatory strike for the Gibraltar Incident, the US Navy bombarded and ultimately destroyed the Spanish military installations in and around Gibraltar, and effectively established their control over the strait by the end of the year. Ultimately President King and his War Secretary Thomas Newton had a two pronged approach to Europe: Give aid to the British and UER in Central Europe, and land soldiers in Spain to draw the Spanish away from France. The latter would not happen until 1935.

While operations in Europe happened fairly quickly, operations in Asia took a much slower pace. America’s Pacific fleet was less than one fourth the size of the Atlantic Fleet, and so there wasn’t the same ability to project power there against China. Mostly, America sent armaments and soldiers to Japan and when it could to Choson. By mid-to-late 1934, the Chosonese government had fled south to Daejon, and Pyongyang was under daily bombardment from China. Incheon was also hanging on by a thread, and many feared it would fall at any time. Japan was similarly struggling, with Nagasaki and Kagoshima Prefectures on the island of Kyushu mostly under Chinese occupation. Realistically, America would not be able to send enough soldiers on its own to turn the tide of the war in Asia. Instead, they began to put pressure on California, Texas, and Mexico to also join the fray. Borealia had declared war in on Prussia and its allies on July 6th. Texas joined the European War by the end of July, but would take longer to join the Asian front. The other two North American powers would take until 1935 to finally get involved.

At home, though support for joining the war hadn’t been universal prior to the Gibraltar Incident, the nation quickly rallied to support the war effort after the declaration passed Congress. And of course, 1934 was a congressional election year, and the war completely altered how that election would play out. All the parties officially adopted pro-war stances, though the Federalists remained critical of President King, many blaming his policies with the convoys and the Preparation Act for forcing America into the War. Liberals took a middle of the road approach, not necessarily wanting to be in the war but fully supporting wanting to go to war, but rallying behind the President once war was declared. The Nationalists and Communalists went into full-blown pro-war mode with the July declaration. When the votes were cast on November 6th, the United States saw one of its biggest congressional upsets in modern history. The Nationalists went from 114 seats (the second smallest party in the 1932 Congress) to 172 seats and the clear leaders. Following them were the Communalists, jumping from 102 seats to 140. President King’s Liberals dropped from 158 to 132. The biggest shock was the drop of the Federalists, going from 126 to 56. For a moment, some commentators wondered in the papers whether or not the three smaller parties would band together to keep First Secretary Wallace Pratt in office, but in mid-November Communalist leadership announced that, in a gesture of national unity, they would back the Nationalists for the First Secretaryship. The party quickly coalesced around Oregon Representative Zachary Chambers. Not to be out done by the Communalists, the Liberals and the Federalists also announced their support for Chambers in a similar gesture of national unity during the war.
Hillard, Dr. Jonathan. Over There: America’s Fight in the Global War, 1934-1938. Franklin, UUS Press: 2009.

---
CHAMBERS SWORN IN AS FIRST SECRETARY
FRANKLIN - After a landslide victory in the November elections, Nationalist Zachary Chambers of Oregon was sworn in as First Secretary of the United States. He is the first First Secretary from a far western state, and only the third Nationalist to ever serve in this position. Following the ceremony at the Congress Hall, Mr. Chambers proceeded to Washington House to meet with President King. At the meeting, the new First Secretary proposed a broad national unity cabinet with members from all four parties. President King welcomed his new cabinet head warmly smiling and shaking hands with reporters in the central courtyard, before the two leaders went to the President’s official study to discuss the new cabinet. According to those who work at Washington House, the meeting went down very cordially and after about an hour and a half the two emerged and met with the press to announce the new cabinet which is expected to be approved of later this week.

Elias Barnett (F) is expected to remain in his position of Secretary of State, with Secretary of War Thomas Newton (L) and Secretary of the Navy Harrison Colton (L) will also remain at their posts. The Department of the Treasury will now be run by Nathaniel Lewis (N), the Department of the Interior will be given to Peter Underwood (C), the Department of Justice will be transferred to William Danforth (N), the Department of Education will pass to Alexandra Petersen (C), and the Postmaster General will now be Julius Stretcher (N).
“Chambers Sworn In As First Secretary,” Brooklyn Standard, January 22, 1935.

---
ALLIES LAUNCH ASSAULT TO RETAKE STRASSBURG
PARIS - British, American, and UER soldiers have launched a massive effort to liberate the UER’s capital city of Strassburg, which has been in Prussian hands since May of 1931. The military commanders have been vague on exact numbers, but estimates are in the hundreds of thousands. Bombardment of key Prussian positions have already begun, and the major ground movements are expected to start at any time. Allied commanders are hoping to retake the city and turn the tide of the war against the Prussians. If Strassburg is liberated, many think that Stuttgart and maybe even Frankfurt will be targeted next.
“Allies Launch Assault to Retake Strassburg,” Boston Eagle, April 14, 1935.

---
With American involvement in the Global War, the tide very clearly began to turn in Europe in the Spring of 1935. Strassburg, held under occupation by the Prussians since 1931, was liberated by the Allies in late April, 1935. On May 1st, UER Chairman Walther Hasselbach triumphantly reentered the city, which had quickly been decked out in red banners, the main roads mostly cleared of rubble. This was the begging of that turning tide. By the end of June, Stuttgart had been liberated as well. The big focus after these two stunning victories was Frankfurt. By the end of July, the city was under siege by the Allies, and would fall by mid-August. For the rest of the war, most of the fighting in Europe would now be on Prussian territory.
Bernard, Dr. Meredith. For Freedom! Stories of the Global War. Astoria, OR, Pacific Press: 2009.

---
NAPLES FIREBOMBED - ITALIAN EMPEROR DEAD
ROME - THe People’s Air Force launched a major aerial attack on the Italian capital at Naples, using controversial new fire bombs, which explode with various flammable liquids, causing twice as much damage as conventional bombs. The UER reports that the attack was devastating on the city, with tens of thousands likely dead. It has been confirmed that Italian Emperor Victor II was among the victims of the attack. It is unclear who will take the throne next, as the Emperor is normally elected by a council of all the Italian kingdoms, and with half the country under rebel control it seems unlikely that a proper council could be convened.
“Naples Firebombed - Italian Emperor Dead,” Chicago Herald, June 27, 1935.

---
CHINA LAUNCHES MASSIVE ASSAULT, GROUND INVASION ON JAPAN
TOKYO - From their toeholds on the island of Kyushu, the Empire of China has launched a massive assault to take the rest of the island and then focus on Shikoku and western Honshu islands. Combined North American Forces, comprised of a mix of American, Californian, and Mexican soldiers, are on hand as well to try and bolster Japanese forces as they fight to keep their homeland free. This comes after China had several major success in Choson, where Incheon and the temporary capital of Daejon fell to Chinese forces in the spring. Many fear that all of Choson will be in Chinese hands by the end of the year. President King said at an event in St. Louis that, “while our focus has been in Europe, we cannot allow China to have a free hand in Asia.” Generally speaking, the official strategy has been to focus on defeating Prussia, because if Prussia falls, it is likely that China can be brought to heel in any post-war negotiation.
“China Launches Massive Assault, Ground Invasion on Japan,” Astoria Dispatch, July 17, 1935.

---
BRITS TAKE MOUTH OF ELBE RIVER, TARGET HAMBURG
LONDON - In a massive amphibious assault, the British have taken control of the mouth of the Elbe River, one of the largest rivers in Central Europe and one that is essential to Prussian commerce. One of the Kingdom’s largest cities, Hamburg, lies farther upstream and is Prussia’s largest port city. British officials have stated that their ultimate goal is to take Hamburg in an attempt to bring Prussia to the negotiating table. This victory comes on the heels of earlier victories this summer where combined allied forces were able to retake the UER cities of Strassburg and Stuttgart, and also the Prussian city of Frankfurt.
“Brits Take Mouth of Elbe River, Target Hamburg,” Boston Eagle, September 1, 1935.

---
STARS AND STRIPES OVER SEVILLE
SEVILLE - Seen as an extension of seeking revenge for the Gibraltar Incident, American forces have landed in southern Spain, and have since taken control of the city of Seville. American commanders in the field hope to expand farther north and east before winter sets in. The recent invasion has been sufficient that most Spanish forces that had been in active just across the border in southwestern France have been pulled back to defend their homeland, which was the primary aim of the invasion.
“Stars and Stripes Over Seville,” Franklin Observer, September 28, 1935.

---
VP PALMER ANNOUNCES CANDIDACY
GEORGETOWN - At an event held at the recently opened Presidential Mansion Museum, part of the First Capital Park in Georgetown, Maryland, Vice President Leon Palmer announced that he would seek his party’s nomination for the presidency in the 1936 elections. He is the first person to officially declare his candidacy in what is expected to be another close presidential race. Despite the good performance by the Nationalists in the congressional elections last year, many are skeptical as to whether or not they can turn that success into a successful bid for Washington House. It also still remains to be seen just who the Nationalists or Federalists will rally behind in opposition to Palmer.
“VP Palmer Announces Candidacy,” Brooklyn Standard, November 12, 1935.

---
CHINESE ADVANCES STOPPED AT OSAKA
SAPPORO - With the combined Allied Pacific Forces, the Chinese advance on the Japanese main island of Honshu has been halted at the city of Osaka. The Chinese had successfully taken over Kyushu and Shikoku Islands earlier this fall, and have control over western portions of Honshu, but their advance seems to have finally lost steam. President King spoke with Japanese President Tokitake Kagawa, and the Japanese leader feels confident enough that the advance has ended that his government will likely not evacuate from Tokyo as had earlier been discussed.
“Chinese Advances Stopped at Osaka,” St. Louis Courier, December 1, 1935.

---
HAMBURG FALLS TO BRITAIN
HAMBURG - In yet another blow for the Kingdom of Prussia, the major port city of Hamburg has fallen to British forces. Last fall, Britain had taken control of the mouth of the Elbe River, which Hamburg is located on farther upstream, effectively cutting the port off from the rest of the world. The Prussians put up a fierce defense of the city, but in the end fell back and are retreating farther east to defend Prussia proper. Now that Hamburg has fallen, Britain says that they will be focusing aerial attacks on Berlin in the hopes of driving the Prussians into negotiations to end the war.
“Hamburg Falls to Britain,” Manhattan Gazette, February 4, 1936.

---
FOURTH NORTH AMERICAN CONFERENCE OPENS IN QUEBEC
MONTREAL - In a more subdued and low key affair than three years ago in Manhattan, the Fourth North American Conference opened today in the Borealian city of Montreal. Borealian Prime Minister Hiram Clinton welcomed the leaders from the four other North American powers. This is the first time this conference has been held outside the United States. The key focus of this conference will likely be the creation of some sort of open trade agreement between the five conference nations to make the flow of goods from one nation to the other a simple affair.There is a lot of support amid the business community to make this sort of agreement happen, but there are still some concern that this could hurt some industry in some of the smaller nations, namely California and Texas, but so far those voicing positive opinions about the proposal far outweigh those who are speaking out against it.
“Fourth North American Conference Opens in Quebec,” Astoria Dispatch, May 20, 1936.

---
FEDERALISTS NOMINATE SECRETARY BARNETT
BOSTON - At their summer convention, the Federalist Party has nominated their former candidate from the 1930 election, current Secretary of State Elias Barnett. Barnett has been a prominent member of President King’s cabinet, but has also remained popular with many Federalists who see the rest of King’s pre-1935 administration as too pro-war. Barnett spoke at the conclusion of the convention, saying, “Whether we like it or not, war has come upon us and our nation has risen to the challenge. And with all the successes that we and our allies have had, especially in Europe, we have to start thinking about what happens next. And as much as I like President King on a personal level, I do not believe he and the rest of his administration has what it takes to guide us back into peace.”

The Federalists are facing an uphill battle this election. There continuing criticism of President King and his handling of the war, and their continued claim that President King helped manufacture a situation that would force America to get involved in the first place, has hurt the Federalist image with the public. At this point, many see the Federalist bid simply trying to make themselves the kingmakers between the Nationalist and either Communalist or Liberal candidates.
“Federalists Nominate Secretary Barnett,” New Orleans Star, July 8, 1936.

---
NATIONALISTS NOMINATE FIRST SECRETARY CHAMBERS
ST. LOUIS - In what is turning into a multi-pronged race between the current leaders of the National Unity Government, current First Secretary Zachary Chambers of Oregon has been nominated by the Nationalist Party as their candidate for this year’s presidential election. Mr. Chambers has made statements several times that he believes that the Liberals and Federalists will be too lenient towards Prussia once the war is over, and that the Communalists will be too friendly with the UER and give that country whatever it wants once the war ends.
“Nationalists Nominate First Secretary Chambers,” Boston Eagle, July 15, 1936.

---
MONTREAL TREATY SIGNED - NORTH AMERICAN OPEN TRADE AGREEMENT
MONTREAL - In what is being hailed as the greatest achievement of the North American Conferences to date, the five conference member nations have signed the Treaty of Montreal, which establishes the North American Open Trade Agreement (NOTA, for short). Under this agreement, all trade between the five nations will be free. All existing tariffs will be phased out in the next five years, and no new tariffs will go into effect. The treaty also calls for the creation of a pan-American passport to allow for the free movement of people across the continent. President King remarked about the future plans, saying that, “North America is a big place, and having an open passport for citizens of all the nations on this continent would ultimately benefit everyone. It would allow for increases in tourism and business travel.”
“Montreal Treaty Signed - North American Open Trade Agreement,” Chicago Herald, July 24, 1936.

---
CPUS WILL BACK LIBERAL CANDIDATE, VP PALMER
CHICAGO - In an unexpected move, the Communalist Party of the United States has voted to back the presidential candidacy of Vice President Leon Palmer of the Liberal Party. This marks the first time since 1912 that the CPUS has not fielded their own candidate for Washington House. Party Chairman Michael Pendergast stated that, “Right now, America does not need to be focused on political divisions. We must continue to focus on what unites us, and right now that is defeating Prussia and putting and end to the war in Europe and Asia. While we do not agree with everything the Liberal Party supports, we agree that it would be better for the nation right now not to radically shake up the government’s administration of the war effort. Rest assured, we will have our own candidate in 1942, and we will continue to compete in congressional races to make sure that the common man and woman in America is properly represented in Franklin.”
“CPUS Will Back Liberal Candidate, VP Palmer,” Franklin Observer, August 1, 1936.

---
AT CONVENTION, PALMER BACKS COMMUNALIST RUNNING MATE
NEW ORLEANS - In a surprise move, Vice President Palmer has introduced Communalist Representative Alexander Gates of Indiana as his running mate. This is seen by most as a nod of thanks to the Communalist Party’s decision at their own convention earlier this month to back Palmer instead of fielding their own candidate. Some speculate that this arrangement may have been made before the CPUS convention earlier this month, but so far there has been no hard proof supporting this. This continues the theme that the Communalists have been promoting since war was declared two years ago, to work with other parties instead of competing for votes. Many see this as a way to better secure the Communalist vote this November. If the Palmer-Gates ticket wins, this would be the first time a Communalist would serve as Vice President.
“At Convention, Palmer Backs Communalist Running Mate,” Boston Eagle, August 20, 1936.

---
UPRISINGS REPORTED IN PRUSSIA
FRANKFURT - Although there has been no official word coming from Berlin, Allied intelligence services are receiving multiple reports that major uprisings have broken out in the cities of Berlin, Dresden, Leipzig, Danzig, and Königsberg. Many of these uprisings are said to be led by communalist sympathizers, but not all. Unrest with the government’s inability to stop the advance of Allied forces in Europe, and the severe austerity measures they have taken to try and win the war. There are even unconfirmed reports that some of military units have mutnined in favor of the revolts. Many are hoping that these revolts will force a ceasefire in Europe and end the war.
“Uprisings Reported in Prussia,” Brooklyn Standard, October 11, 1936.

---
PALMER PULLS AHEAD IN DEBATE
BROOKLYN - Following last night’s debate at the Diamond Theater in Brooklyn, many say that Vice President Palmer has pulled ahead in the three-way race for Washington House. The debate went out live via the wireless, and many people said they felt that while Nationalist candidate Zachary Chambers came across as too radical and Federalist candidate Elias Barnett came across too weak, Vice President Palmer presented a clear plan for the end of the war that would both punish Prussia but also establish a fair post-war settlement. With the election less than a month away, this performance may have helped place the Liberals in Washington House for the second term in a row. This would also be the first time in living memory that a sitting Vice President was able to successfully win their own bid for the presidency.
“Palmer Pulls Ahead in Debate,” Manhattan Gazette, October 18, 1936.

---
WITH CPUS SUPPORT, PALMER WINS OUTRIGHT
FRANKLIN - Although most ballots across the nation had separate “Liberal” and “Communalist” choices for the presidency, making it to where only 210 out of 580 electoral votes went outright to Leon Palmer, with the 86 electoral votes that the Communalists won and already pledged to Palmer, the outgoing Vice President has 296 combined electoral votes, 5 more than he needs to secure the presidency. This marks the first time since 1912 that a presidential candidate has come anywhere close to winning an election outright without the need of activating the provisions of the 20th Amendment (the last time a candidate actually won an election outright was the election of Liberal Colin Beck in 1894).
“With CPUS Support, Palmer Wins Outright,” Chicago Herald, November 4, 1936.

---
ITALIAN RULING COUNCIL CALLS FOR CEASE FIRE!
ROME - With uprisings gripping the Kingdom of Prussia and severely interrupting that nation’s war effort, it is now being reported that the Italian Empire is calling for a cease fire. The Italian Ruling Council, which has been running the nation since the death of the Emperor in last year’s bombing of Naples, announced last night that they were calling for an immediate cease fire to go into effect across the Italian Peninsula. The leaders of the Italian Republic operating out of Turin has agreed. This likely is the beginning of the end of the Global War, a cause for great rejoicing for nearly everyone. There are many now hoping that the war with Prussia and with China will end by the end of 1937, bringing this eight year conflict to a close.
“Italian Ruling Council Calls For Ceasefire!” Franklin Observer, December 10, 1936.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK! Here is the latest update, which includes the bulk of the Global War story (which will be concluded in the next update).

Hope you all enjoy! This one was interesting to write, and I'm looking forward to getting into the next update which will set up the post-war world.

Speaking of which, I'm down to about two weeks remaining of my summer break, and as a school teacher I'm entering "prep" mode, so it is unclear just when I will have the next update out, so it could be several weeks to even a month before the next bit comes out sadly.

Been considering how long I want to continue with this TL. Part of me wants to go all the way to the present....but realistically, I'm thinking of having the presidency of Georgina Lincoln (1961-1967), the first female and first Communalist president, as a good stopping point. Thoughts?

As always, any critiques or issues, or just plain suggestions, are always welcome :)

Last edited:
What possessions does Spain still have in the Americas? The US will get all of them after the (inevitable) US and allies victory.

A left-leaning republic is installed in Spain

Prussia is annexed to the UER

The Church is discredited for its Royalist support and goes through a period of transformation, distancing itself from politics entirely.

China will likely be the last foe standing. I can see all the opposing powers gaining concessions on the Chinese coast, and supporting various warlords to divide China as much as possible.

Could we get a map of the UER? I'd love to know the subdivisions of the UER. I'm thinking that Prussia alone would net them something like five more provinces.

What possessions does Spain still have in the Americas? The US will get all of them after the (inevitable) US and allies victory.

A left-leaning republic is installed in Spain

Not a lot of possessions left, but yes, once all the dust settles Spain's remaining territories will likely end up in American control...or possibly some to Texas?

Prussia is annexed to the UER

Possibly. In my original outline notes, that's pretty much what I had happen. However, upon further reflection, I think that may not happen. With Britain involved, I *could* see them not wanting to see the UER expand much further than it already is. Possibly the Rhineland becomes part of the UER, but I think that the core of Old Prussia might be left "independent," but in quite a lot of chaos.

The Church is discredited for its Royalist support and goes through a period of transformation, distancing itself from politics entirely.

Quite likely. Still working on the details there. They will definitely have a "time in the wilderness" before they emerge into their new role.

China will likely be the last foe standing. I can see all the opposing powers gaining concessions on the Chinese coast, and supporting various warlords to divide China as much as possible.

I'm still pondering the Asian theater of the War. China is doing fairly ok. Choson is mostly occupied and Japan has had a rough time of it. To make matters more complicated, the Western Allies have a hard time projecting power there in a way sufficient enough to really check China.

What I am expecting, is that with Prussia defeated and Europe being pacified, and with the attempts to take over ALL of Japan being thwarted, China agrees to a negotiated peace. Maybe Japan fully liberated, but Choson is divided, etc. Thoughts?

Could we get a map of the UER? I'd love to know the subdivisions of the UER. I'm thinking that Prussia alone would net them something like five more provinces.

My home computer isn't the best for making maps. But I'll have access to stuff soon that should allow me to make a map. I'll try to get to that when I can. Basically, prior to the war, the UER was modern day France + Bavaria + Baden-Wurttemberg. This will definitely change after the war.

Possibly. In my original outline notes, that's pretty much what I had happen. However, upon further reflection, I think that may not happen. With Britain involved, I *could* see them not wanting to see the UER expand much further than it already is. Possibly the Rhineland becomes part of the UER, but I think that the core of Old Prussia might be left "independent," but in quite a lot of chaos.

My home computer isn't the best for making maps. But I'll have access to stuff soon that should allow me to make a map. I'll try to get to that when I can. Basically, prior to the war, the UER was modern day France + Bavaria + Baden-Wurttemberg. This will definitely change after the war.

Maybe Prussia would be a constitutional monarchy with a monarch serving as a figurehead in Königsberg.

Just having a list of provinces and their capitals would be good enough.

Wow Spain. Major props for managing to utterly screw up your conduct:

First off, you enter a major war that's a slogfest, and do so via a sneak attack that does..... pretty little actual damage other then shelling a bunch of civvies.

Then you manage to get the entire North American continent at war with you for not allowing in a neutral country's trading convoy. And unlike Prussia, there isn't even some ambiguity for whether or not it was allowed.