Washington Burns: A Story of Alternate America

Really enjoyed the latest update. Here's my two-penn'orth.
Re the Dixians. I'll be very interested to see whether Texas is invited to join with Federal forces in crushing the revolt. Probably a political error, as foreign aid would only stir up sympathisers in neighbouring states, but, if the logistics, geography or just plain bad luck and bad generalship led to some early setbacks for Roosevelt, then a plea for support could potentially be issued. The whole development is fascinating and an angle I didn't see coming.

I won't give away any spoilers of course, but I think your assessment of the political situation in regards to the backlash from allowing foreigners to help put down an internal revolt.

Also keep in mind that, while Dixiana is the "motherland" for the southern exodus after the war, plenty of people settle in Platte and Jefferson and other states, so it is plausible that when Dixiana makes this plunge that other states will follow without any blunders or missteps by the Roosevelt administration.

Re Europe. The political (not racial, religious or ethnic) cleansing of Corsica is another bold move. I'd be interested to discover how that move went down internationally. If Communalist sympathisers were moved out, and the process was comparatively peaceful, then it could set a very useful TTL precedent for 20th century issues to be dealt with in a very different way to IOTL, i.e. mass political emigration (and compensatory immigration). It could create neighbouring states which are relatively stable, ethnically similar, but ideologically opposed, and with free movement for dissenters between the two. That way, opposition supporters would leave, moving to the other state, the ideological opposition between the two would self-perpetuate, and ... I don't know if it would make wars more or less frequent! The German states could be a testing ground for this.
However, maybe Corsica was a bloodbath, and that will affect international acceptance of the Royalist state. I look forward to finding out.

Some interesting ideas here.
The "purge" in Corsica wasn't a bloodbath, but wasn't painless either. Martial law declared, party HQ raided and all known/suspected members rounded up and imprisoned. Key leaders executed as traitors. After the peace, they will be used in prisoner exchanges with Communalist France, and while the new government will be grateful to get those off Corsica, it does not endear the new government to the Royalist enclave.

More internationally....the reaction is kinda "meh." Like of course that is what they would do, kick out all the potentially dangerous political threats fore their island fortress.

Finally, re Olympics. Interesting to read that there were other games with other names in Antiquity. Perhaps the modern version could be called the Classical Games, or another suggestion. Whatever, I don't see the Bavarian Regicides supporting the idea of crowns rather than medals or wreaths!
Talking of whom, will young Prince Georg fare better than OTL Trotsky?

Hmm. Well my idea for the crown was more that they'd be shaped like laurel wreaths, just made of gold/metal so that they last.

Medals may be the way to go though.

As for Georg Bourbon, as he will become known in Texas, I haven't quite decided exactly what his future holds yet. I've got a "few years" to figure out for sure.

I know that in the initial aftermath he and his mother flee for the quiet of Texas. But after the war, when her father's health begins to deteriorate, she will return and ultimately be made Queen of the French in Exile. However, she fears terribly for her son's safety, so upon her return she claims he died in Texas, while really leaving him with a family associate who has further family ties in Texas. The boy will grow up as a Tex-Deutscher in a more frontier farming area. Comfortable, but definitely not the life he was originally intended to lead.

At some point, he will learn the truth. He was only 5 when his father was executed, and he and his mother had been living in Rome since he was 2, so it is likely he'd have fleeting memories but nothing concrete.

What happens at that point, I have not decided yet.
Maybe there will be a successful campaign against the Communalists to restore the Kingdoms of France and Bavaria.
I have been toying with other ideas though. He's living in Texas, and most of the more settled Tex-Deutscher families come from solid liberal stock, and so it is likely that he would grow up with more anti-monarchical sympathies. Communalism in North America also won't have the stigma it has in parts of Europe, so it is possible he could come into contact with those ideas, especially if he goes to university in the United States.

What if he becomes a Communalist and joins with the Red forces in Europe in the 1920s or 1930s? There's bound to be another war with Prussia at some point, right?
IDK. Just an idea at the moment.

What if he becomes a Communalist and joins with the Red forces in Europe in the 1920s or 1930s? There's bound to be another war with Prussia at some point, right?
IDK. Just an idea at the moment.
I'd be interested. If anything, the Reds would LOVE having a true dyed in the wool royal be against Royalty.

I'd be interested. If anything, the Reds would LOVE having a true dyed in the wool royal be against Royalty.

Yeah, that's why I find the idea appealing. It would also really make Georg a very "international" man, having been born in Bavaria, raised in Texas and educated there and in the US, to then return and become a leader in Communalist circles.

Sorry, no update yet. It's been busy at work and home lately. But I'm on break for the next 9 days so hoping to get the next update done by the end of it. I have it all outlined, just have to fill in all the details.

Also, as I was writing, and starting to think about the fate of Dixiana (which basically will cease to be a state of its own after the rebellion is over), it occurred to me that there might be older updates that referenced Dixiana existing into the present, so I went back and removed the ones I could find (there were only two or three, way back in the 1860s updates dealing with the post-War resettlement and exodus of Southerners into the western territories.

Any ideas that you might have on the development of culture in the early modern era, with music and early movies, to anything else, especially technology, would be most welcomed. I will be adding some stuff in this upcoming update, and more likely in the following one after that. Plenty of room for input :)

Chapter 20: The Roosevelt Presidency, 1907-1913
--- The Roosevelt Presidency (1907-1913) ---

MARTIAL LAW DECLARED IN DIXIANA

FRANKLIN - President Landon announced the declaration of Martial Law, which will expire on March 15, 1907, in the rebellious state of Dixiana. President-Elect Roosevelt has been at Washington House almost daily, coordinating with outgoing-President Landon on how to handle the growing crisis in Dixiana. There have been calls from other states to join the rebellion against what Governor Perriman calls the “Pro-Communalist Pacifist Regime in Franklin,” in attempts to skewer both Landon and Roosevelt. Some fear that Platte, Metropotamia, and Jefferson will all declare for Dixiana. Some are calling for soldiers to be called up, but President Landon is refusing to escalate things further than what the rebels do.
“Martial Law Declared in Dixiana,” Brooklyn Standard, December 15, 1906.

---
PLATTE, METROPOTAMIA DECLARE FOR PERRIMAN

FT. CALHOUN - The state legislatures in both Platte and Metropotamia have declared their states loyal to “President Perriman and the Republic of Dixiana.” What started as a localized revolt in New Charleston is now for sure a full-blown rebellion. President-Elect Roosevelt will be walking into a state of civil war when he takes the oath of office in March. Already, he has taken up residence in a private home on President’s Square, and is at Washington House almost daily, though administration officials continue to state that President Landon is still calling the shots. Some Liberals say that Landon should step down early and allow Roosevelt to assume command, but this seems unlikely to happen.

“Platte, Metropotamia Declare for Perriman,” Manhattan Gazette, January 15, 1907.

---
TEXAN AMBASSADOR MEETS WITH LANDON, ROOSEVELT

FRANKLIN - Texan Ambassador Jose Ramos arrived at Washington House today to meet with both President Landon and President-Elect Roosevelt to discuss the crisis in the West. There has been fear that Texas would declare war on Dixiana, complicating matters for the United States, which does not recognize the rebels independence, and would therefore see such interference by Texas as meddling in US internal affairs. A spokesperson at Washington House told reporters that the meeting was productive, and both Landon and Roosevelt seemed satisfied with the outcome of their meeting with Ramos. The ambassador told reporters, “America’s Presidents have given assurances that I think my government can work with, and I will do my best to preserve peace between our two nations.”
“Texan Ambassador Meets with Landon, Roosevelt,” Boston Eagle, January 19, 1907.

---
TEXAS DECLARES NEUTRALITY, WILL DEFEND BORDERS

FRANKLIN - Texan President Johann Vogel announced that the Texas Federation would not interfere with the internal revolt currently underway in the US States of Dixiana, Platte, and Metropotamia, but went on to say that his government would do everything within its power to protect their sovereign borders. The Texan Army has already made preparations to ship thousands of men to the border with Dixiana, but had held back until now. It is expected that troops will arrive in large numbers in North Texas and Colorado sometime in March or April.
“Texas Declares Neutrality, Will Defend Borders,” St. Louis Times, February 8, 1907.

---
CRACKDOWN IN ST. LOUIS

ST. LOUIS - Pro-Perriman Mayor Jack Hennessy has been arrested by the Federal Security Service, and the Missouri governor has ordered out the state militia to take control of the city. Hennessy convinced the city council to “take the lead in Missouri,” and have the city declare for the rebels in an attempt to convince Governor William Pemberton and the state legislature to follow their lead. Thousands clashed in the streets in protest, both for and against the move, which led to several fires breaking out in the city. The offices of the St Louis Times, the city’s most prominent (and very pro-Nationalist) newspaper, were destroyed by one such fire. Missouri has been a very mixed state when it comes to politics for many years, but more recently has voted consistently for the Nationalist Party, though many consider themselves to make up the more moderate, anti-Perriman wing of the party.
“Crackdown in St. Louis,” Franklin Observer, February 18, 1907.

---
BATTLE AT FT. CALHOUN, THOUSANDS DEAD AND WOUNDED

FT. CALHOUN - Federal forces at Ft. Calhoun, after refusing for months to vacate the facility that is on the outskirts of Platte’s state capital which also bears the fort’s name, were forced into battle after having been surrounded by pro-Dixiana militia that have taken over that part of the state. The fort was cut off from receiving supplies, which forced the base commander, General James P. Roosevelt Jr, the brother of the President-Elect, to try and break out of the fort and secure the rail line. In the end, the federal troops were overrun, and forced into a fighting retreat. Gen. Roosevelt and several hundred of his men were able to briefly take over a nearby train yard and commandeer locomotives, but instead of fighting further, chose to retreat to less hostile ground. While Roosevelt’s actions were able to save several hundred soldiers, hundreds more were lost in the fight, and an untold number of Platte Militiamen were also killed, along with citizen bystanders caught in the crossfire. To date, this is the bloodiest conflict in the Dixian Rebellion.
“Battle at Ft. Calhoun, Thousands Dead and Wounded,” Boston Eagle, February 27, 1907.

---
ROOSEVELT SWORN IN, NATION IN CRISIS

FRANKLIN - In a solemn and austere ceremony bereft of the normal celebratory trappings that accompany a new President taking office, Cornelius Roosevelt II was sworn in on the steps of the Congress Hall. There was no parade, no marching bands, or speeches made by other officials. At 12 noon, Roosevelt and Landon arrived at the building, ascended the steps together, and Landon looked on while Chief Justice Rogers administered the oath. After removing his hand from the Bible, Roosevelt turned and faced the crowd to deliver his inaugural address.
“Citizens of the United States. Today I make a very different speech from the one I envisioned when I first decided to run for the Presidency. At that time, I saw myself putting forth an agenda to help revitalize and restore American liberalism, to continue the work of my predecessors in protecting and expanding the rights of the common man, and woman. But destiny has seen fit that I give a different speech. For today, as I stand here before you, the United States faces a day as dark as those last seen in 1859, when the country tore itself apart over the evils of slavery. Thankfully, we weathered that storm and brought our nation back together. And today, twoscore and eight years later, we fight the descendants of those same slavers that our ancestors defeated back then. They were allowed to scamper westward and hold on to their backward ways, which have now festered and turned evil once more. Well today I tell you, my fellow Americans, that this cancer on our great Republic must be cut out once and for all.”
With Roosevelt’s fiery rhetoric continuing, the new President laid out a clear course, by first demanding for the unconditional surrender of the leaders of all the rebel states, and for those who have joined their militias. Failure to do so by the first of April will result in “the full and awesome might of these United States being brought to bear against the rebels.”
“Roosevelt Sworn in, Nation in Crisis,” Brooklyn Standard, March 5, 1907.

---
DOTSON KEEPS FIRST SECRETARYSHIP

FRANKLIN - The newly sworn in House of Representatives, where the Liberals now control a comfortable, if narrow, majority, voted to keep Gregory Dotson in office as First Secretary. Dotson has been in office since 1903, and has continued to be popular within his own party but also members of the Federalists as well. President Roosevelt told reporters that “I look forward to working with one of the most distinguished Liberal statesmen this country has had the privilege to know.”
“Dotson Keeps First Secretaryship,” Chicago Herald, March 8, 1907.

---
MARTIAL LAW EXTENDED

FRANKLIN - President Roosevelt, as one of his first acts in office, has signed an executive order extending the initial declaration of Martial Law first issued by President Landon in December. The new declaration will last for “the duration of the current rebellion,” and is being extended to the states of Platte, Metropotamia, Jefferson, Kanasaw, MIssouri, Iowa, and Arkansas, and the territories of Washington and Cascadia. Essentially, all territory west of the Mississippi River excluding Louisiana, Lakota, and Oregon are under this new order.
The president told reporters that this broader order was made in states/territories that 1)had already declared for the rebels, 2) had a potentially high population of people that could be sympathetic to the rebels, or 3) are close enough to the conflict zone that it would be prudent militarily to issue martial law to protect the local citizens. There is bound to be heavy protests from some states, and there is a fear among some lawmakers that this heavy-handedness could spark more rebellion in states currently loyal.
“Martial Law Extended,” Manhattan Gazette, March 10, 1907.

---
VOLUNTEERS FLOCK TO THE COLORS

BOSTON - Although a call for a draft has not passed in Congress, tens of thousands of young men across New England are flocking to the colors to enlist. In Boston alone, some 10,000 men have enlisted since President Roosevelt took office and showed what many here call “real initiative,” in the fight against the rebels. Other parts of the country are reporting an increase in enlistment, that started at the beginning of the Western Crisis last December, but has now grown exponentially since the change of power in Franklin.
Across New England, the old flag of the Confederation, with its inverted Betsy Ross design of blue stripes and a red field with 8 stars in a circle, has been spotted with increasing regularity, and the Battle Hymn of Freedom has been played at many a private and public function in the months since fighting began. Many of the young men say they are joining up to finish what their grandfathers started nearly 50 years ago. One young man, when asked to expand on that phrase and what it meant, said “why we are going to purge our country of those racist so-and-sos once and for all.”
“Volunteers Flock to the Colors,” Franklin Observer, April 3, 1907.

---
REBELS PASS CONSTITUTION

NEW CHARLESTON - With delegates from Dixiana, Platte, and Metropotamia having gathered for weeks in New Charleston, the rebel government has announced a newly adopted constitution for the so-called “Republic of Dixiana,” which now claims the territory of the three rebelling states. It is a near mirror image of the real constitution, with minor changes giving more power to the states in certain areas (education, in particular), and also enshrining the Dixian belief in racial superiority. The rebels have also unveiled a new flag, which mirrors the so called “star and bars” flag used by the State of Dixiana, except that the blue square in the upper canton of the flag has become a blue circle still on the left hand side of the flag but not on the edge, and the single star has been replaced with the “eye of providence” that is on the reverse side of the Great Seal of the United States. Dixian rhetoric claims that they are the purified vision of America.
“Rebels Pass Constitution,” Boston Eagle, May 9, 1907.

---
REBS LOSE BATTLE OF MUSCOGEE

CHICKASAW - Initial reports coming in from the Army indicates that the rebel forces in Kanasaw, which had been trying to drive eastwards to the state capital at Chickasaw, have been soundly defeated near the town of Muscogee, along the Arkansas River. Nearly 10,000 men were being led by rebel general Patrick Bentley, and faced off against a Federal force nearly three times as big. By all accounts, most of Bentley’s men were either killed or captured, with only a few hundred being able to make a retreat back to the northwest.
“Rebs Lose Battle of Muscogee,” Brooklyn Standard, May 20, 1907.

---
FT. CALHOUN CAPTURED

FT. CALHOUN - Federal forces have retaken the state capital of Platte, in an effort not only to strike a formidable blow against the rebels, but also reestablish lines of transportation and communication with the western territories and the state of Oregon. US General James P. Roosevelt, the older brother of President Roosevelt, and the man who had been in charge of the US Army garrison at Ft. Calhoun prior to the rebellion, helped retake the city. This was no doubt a moment of personal triumph for the general, who had received what many considered undue blame for the loss of Ft. Calhoun in February of this year. The President’s brother has taken the lead in trying to retake the state of Platte from the rebels all spring, and his efforts have now led to a great success.
“Ft. Calhoun Captured,” Franklin Observer, July 9, 1907.

---
REBS AND TEXANS BATTLE

NEU MAINZ, TXF - Rebel forces at Fort Pueblo, which is directly across the border from the Texan city of Neu Mainz, has stated that Texas attempted to launch an attack on the settlement and seize the arsenal in that city. Texas officials deny the claim, and say that the rebels in Pueblo launched an “unprovoked attack on the citizens of Neu Mainz.” From the mixed reports, it appears as though Dixian soldiers crossed into the town over the single bridge across the Arkansas River, which is the international border, and attacked the town around 8:00 in the evening. After the initial shock, the local Texas garrison rallied and tossed the invaders back north, and then proceeded to march into Pueblo, which seems to remain under Texan occupation at the moment. Texas President Vogel announced that he was ordering 15,000 troops to the city, but refused to discuss further actions. Washington House has yet to comment, and appears to be tacitly approving of the action.
“Rebs and Texans Battle,” St. Louis Courier, August 3, 1907.

---
COMMUNALIST PARTY FORMED

CHICAGO - Members of the various Communalist and Owenite factions that exist across the Middle West and New England have gathered here in Chicago for their first ever national convention, and have decided to band together into a single political entity, to be called the Communalist Party of the United States (CPUS). The convention was led by Indiana Senator Nathaniel Edwards, the first Owenite elected to the United States Senate back in 1892. Senator Edwards stated in his opening address, “As the great Robert Owen once said, we should not argue, but continue to assert our beliefs to any and all that will hear. And today, America will hear us. We will raise our voices, and bring to the fore the plight of the worker, the evil of Capitalism, and promise that we can find in our Democracy. After all, it was Marks who said that Democracy was the road to Socialism, and we can prove that in America. We don’t have to resort to violence and revolution as has happened in Europe. We will win the class struggle through the ballot box.”
The convention was well attended, with delegates arriving from nearly every state in the Union. There were nearly 5,000 people in the main hall during the keynote address, and many seem positive towards the plans to “combine forces.” It is expected that either Senator Edwards, or Jerry Owen, the great grandson of Robert Owen, will be elected as party chairman.
“Communalist Party Formed,” Chicago Herald, August 29, 1907.

---
UNION OF EUROPEAN REPUBLICS ANNOUNCED

PARIS - After months of discussion and deliberation, it has been announced that the People’s Republc of France will unite with the Union of People’s Republics (the nation created by Baden, Wurttemberg, and Bavaria in 1905) to form the Union of European Republics. A new constitution is to be drafted by a special congress in the next few months. In the meantime, a special committee headed by Frenchman Adrien Gautier will govern the state. Mister Gautier stated in an address to the special People’s Assembly that, “it is the dream of all Communalists in Europe to end the nationalist boundaries that divide the workers, an extra barrier used by the capitalists to divide the proletariat. Today we lay the foundation not only for a classless society, but a nation-less one as well.”
“Union of European Republics Announced,” Franklin Observer, September 15, 1907.

---
After the flight to Corsica in March of 1905, the final demise of the French Kingdom was always a matter of when, not if. While the court of Louis XIX made the flight from Marseilles to what they were calling “New Paris,” the rest of the French Empire began to fall away. Indochina broke into revolt in late 1904, and by 1905 had declared independence. Colonial authorities would give up the ghost and leave in early 1906. At the same time, locals in West Africa rose up in revolt, overwhelming French settlements, forcing thousands to flee either to Corsica or Alergia, which attempted to rise up as well. Algeria was finally pacified by 1909, but West Africa would ultimately wrangle free of French control, some parts gaining independence, others being gobbled up by Prussia and Britain. Madagascar became an independent settler republic in 1912.

Although seen as a negative, the loss of all the territory, there was an unexpected positive for the French monarchy: thousands upon thousands of colonist fled the rebelling territories and settled in Corsica and Algeria, helping to boost the local population and cement monarchist control. And that control was very tenuous in the early years, especially with the ailing King Louis XIX at the helm. He had been ill since before the evacuation from the mainland, and there was a palpable fear in New Paris that he would die without an heir. HIs daughter had fled Europe for the German settlements in Texas in 1905, to be far away from would be Bavarian assassins. There was discussion about having the former Queen of Bavaria return with her son to be the heir, but she remained opposed until early 1908, when the King’s health took a turn for the worse. Genevieve returned from Texas, but without her son. She stated that he had died in an accident. It wouldn’t be until much later that the world would learn that Prince Georg was not dead, but had been left in the care of a friend in secret. Genevieve would later say that she feared for her son’s safety too much to bring him back to Europe, no matter what.

When she returned, supposedly childless, the frail King Louis declared that it was his wish that his daughter become the next ruler of France. It would then be up to the lawmakers to change centuries of custom and allow for a female ruler, something they would be quick to do. Princess Genevieve would soon remarry and start a new family in the years that followed.
King, Dr. Alisson. Final Fall of the Bourbon Empire. Franklin: UUS Press, 2008.

---
RUSSIAN CZAR MICHAEL III DEAD

ST. PETERSBURG - The long ailing Russian emperor, 82 year old Michael III, has died of what authorities are simply calling old age. His second son, Prince Alexander, is now the ruler of all Russia. The new Czar, to be styled Alexander II, is 58, and said to not be in the best of health. Second in line of succession to the throne, Alexander only became heir in 1903, when his brother, Prince Frederick, died during the recent War. It remains to be seen if he has what it takes to truly rule the Russian Empire. Already there is rumbling among some politicians and reformers that it may be time to decrease the role of the monarchy in Russia, an idea that will undoubtedly be met with fierce resistance.
“Russian Czar Michael III Dead,” Boston Eagle, October 10, 1907.

---
The ZL-2, -3, -4, and -5 all proved to be great successes for the early Texan Air Corps, and the ships were regularly seen patrolling the sparsely populated western territories, as well as the coast. By 1906, there was discussion underway between ZAW and the Texan Federal Postal Service about using the craft to deliver mail out to the west, something that surprisingly interested Zeppelin, even though his passion continued to be the military use of his namesake aircraft. By the end of the year, even with the looming crisis with Dixiana and the United States, TFPS signed a deal for four Zeppelins to be built specifically for the mail service. ZAW also announced the construction of four new airship sheds, to help keep up with demand.

The United States finally got their deal for airships passed in 1905 under President Landon, with construction beginning almost immediately on the American ship, the ZL-8. When construction finally completed in late 1906, however, the Texan government postponed delivery, fearing possibly war with the United States. The ZL-8 would finally be delivered to the US Army in the Fall of 1907, once it became clear that the rebellion in Dixiana would not last, and that hostilities between the United States and Texas itself would not occur, despite the “Pueblo Incident.” President Roosevelt would be on hand as the ship was christened and named the USAS Benjamin Franklin on April 4, 1908. Despite vehement objections from members of his Cabinet, President Roosevelt flew on the ship after the christening ceremony, becoming the first US President (or leader of any country, for that matter), to fly.
Anderson, Dr. Jacob. The Zeppelin Story. Nacogdoches: TU Press, 1999.

---
TEXAS RENAMES CAPITAL

TEXOPOLIS - A result of the recent crisis in Dixiana and the border skirmishes that had earlier occurred between residents of that state and the Federation of Texas, America’s southwestern neighbor has today announced the renaming of its capital city. Established in the 1830s, Franklin-on-the-Brazos has served as capital of the Texas Federation since its foundation in 1849. There has been discussions for sometime about the possibility of renaming the city and dropping the reference to America’s capital, Franklin, but there was never enough political momentum. That is, until the current crisis with Dixiana. Last week, the Texas legislature overwhelmingly voted in support of a bill renaming the city “Texopolis.” President Vogel signed the law, and it has gone into effect as of today, November 1st.
“Texas Renames Capital,” Franklin Observer, November 1, 1907.

---
As December 1907 rolled around, it was clear that Dixiana had bitten off more than it could chew. The US had mobilized quickly, with tens of thousands of volunteers pouring into the army, especially from New England. And the winter of 1907 proved to be especially harsh on the rebels. Rail-lines across the region were in chaos, and while this pinched the US as a whole, and there were shortages of some key staples across the country, in Dixiana it was catastrophic. Farmers mostly had enough for themselves, but in the larger towns and few cities, people were starting to starve. Even where rail-lines hadn’t been destroyed, there were no trains to carry goods to and fro.

Then, add in the fact than just before the end of November, Metropolis, capital of Metropotamia, had fallen to Union hands. This was a huge blow to rebel moral, which only compounded with the effects of the food shortages. Desertions began to rise over the winter, and by New Year’s Day 1908, Union commanders were confident that the rebellion would be over by the end of Spring.
Engelbrecht, Dr. Thomas. The Second War Between the States. Chicago: People’s Press, 2000.

---
BATTLE OF HAWTHORNE VICTORY FOR UNION

FT. CALHOUN - The rebel forces in Dixiana seem to have put all their hopes in a heroic stand at the city of Hawthorne, about 15 miles from the border with Platte, along the National Road and Rail line. This stand, however heroic, was no match for the Union army. After two days of fighting, Generals Roosevelt and Calvert accepted the surrender of rebel leader John Murray. Hundreds of rebels, instead of surrendering, have fled southwest, towards New Charleston. It is expected, once Hawthorne and surrounding communities are secure, that the Army will start its march on New Charleston to capture the rebel leaders and end the uprising once and for all. President Roosevelt told reporters in Franklin that, “the end of this fight is within sight. I have the utmost confidence in our commanders in the field who will bring this whole episode to a satisfactory conclusion. The Union will prevail.”
“Battle of Hawthorne Victory for Union,” St. Louis Courier, February 20, 1908.

---
MARCH ON NEW CHARLESTON BEGINS

DIXIANA - The Army is on the move towards New Charleston! Generals Roosevelt and Calvert began mobilizing their forces this morning, following the still incomplete 7th National Road and Rail line southwestward towards the capital of Dixiana. There are some that worry the rebels might go on the run and try to conduct a hit and run campaign even after all hope of victory is lost, but General Calvert told reporters that “it won’t happen. Perriman doesn’t have what it takes to live off the land and fight a guerilla war. We will take New Charleston, and we will capture Perriman and his cronies and put this rebellion to bed for good.”
The Army is expected to take its time to arrive at the Dixian capital. They want to make sure their supply lines are secure and that the rebels don’t try to attack from the rear, though such an attack is unlikely, as their largest force was defeated at the Battle of Hawthorne late last month.
“March on New Charleston Begins,” Franklin Observer, March 3, 1908.

---
PERRIMAN DEAD AT HIS OWN HAND, REBS SURRENDER

NEW CHARLESTON - Francis Perriman, the Governor of Dixiana, leader of the rebels, and one time Nationalist presidential candidate, is dead. Soldiers discovered his body in his office in the state capitol building in New Charleston when the Army took the center of the city yesterday morning. It appears that he took his own life with a revolver from one of his guards not long before the soldiers made it into the city. Most other officials have been captured and placed into army custody, though a few fled the city before troops arrived and are attempting to flee justice.
“Perriman Dead at His Own Hand,” Brooklyn Standard, April 2, 1908.

---
ROOSEVELT ANNOUNCES RECONSTRUCTION PLAN

FRANKLIN - In a special address given to a joint session of Congress, President Roosevelt declared that the Dixian rebellion was over for good. The President expressed in detail his opinion, which he had expressed before, that the Dixian identity cannot be allowed to continued as it was after the War Between the States. “In the 1860s, as we tried to put the country back together after nearly four years of civil war, we allowed the Slavers to make an exodus out West, where they tried as much as possible to preserve their way of life and communities. They continued their ideas of racism and elitism. This cancer on our Republic was allowed to fester, and last year that cancer exploded into full on rebellion. We, the elected leaders of this nation, cannot allow this to be repeated.” From there, the president went on to lay out his plan for rebuilding the rebel states. In brief, the state of Dixiana would be dissolved and the land separated into two new states. Dixiana, Platte, and Metropotamia would surrender territory to neighboring states as punishment for their rebellion. All place-names of importance, such as the name of New Charleston, other towns named after old Slaver leaders or locations in the Old South would be changed. Those involved in the rebel government or who took up arms against the Union army would be disenfranchised. All other citizens would be required to take loyalty oaths before they could vote or participate in government. It is unclear just how many members of Congress support this radical plan, but the President was given a thunderous applause at the end of his address.
“Roosevelt Announces Reconstruction Plan,” Boston Eagle, May 26, 1908.

---
PRUSSIAN KING DIES AFTER FALL

BERLIN - Prussian King Frederick William V has died, after falling down a flight of stairs in the City Palace in Berlin. Having ruled since 1861, the 81 year-old monarch had helped Prussia enact incremental reforms after the rebellions that had occurred under his father’s reign in the 1840s. His son, the 62 Prince Johannes Karl, now to be styled King Karl Frederick, is said to be well trained in the affairs of state and, although this death was sudden and unexpected, will be able to seamlessly assume his duties as head of state.
“Prussian King Dies After Fall,” Franklin Observer, July 1, 1908.

---
BRITAIN PROPOSES PEACE CONFERENCE

LONDON - In the wake of the Great European War, and the rebellion here in the America, along with the continuing civil war in Japan and other minor conflicts in recent years, the growing movement of International Pacifism is reaching new highs in membership, publications, and general acceptance. Prominent British Pacifist Michael Dawson has called for an international conference of peace to be held in London. The idea has support in Parliament and from Queen Victoria II, according to unnamed sources cited in the London Times. The conference will be held in September, and it is expected to have hundreds of attendees from most major nations in Europe and the Americas and possibly some from Africa and Asia as well. Controversially, delegates have been invited from the Union of European Republics, the Communalist-governed nation consisting of former France, Bavaria, and Baden.
“Britain Proposes Peace Conference,” Brooklyn Standard, July 21, 1908.

---
The First International Peace Council opened in London on September 7th, 1908, attended by over 500 delegates representing over 30 nations. Michael Dawson served as chairman, and the famous writer Jack Hockley served as the official recorder. It would be his writings about this and future councils that would help propel International Pacifism into the limelight. There were many different topics discussed, from how to prevent future war, to encouraging camaraderie among nations. Several key actions were taken by the First Council, other than the resolution to meet again in 1910: establishing an international sporting event that would promote healthy living among young people and also build healthy, peaceful competition among nations, which would become the World Olympic Committee established later that year, and also the establishment of an international healthcare organization, the present-day International Doctor’s Council.
Luther, Dr. Virginia. Internationalism: Birth of a Movement out of the Ashes of War. Boston: Colonial Press, 2009.

---
RECONSTRUCTION PLAN PASSES CONGRESS

FRANKLIN - In a narrow vote, the Senate voted to pass the Roosevelt Reconstruction Plan for Rebel Territories, which passed the House last week. All the key points Roosevelt had called for in his May address to a joint session of Congress was included in the bill, which the president will likely sign tomorrow. The State of Dixiana is officially to be dissolved, to be split into the territories of Brandt and Adams, and all three rebel states will be reduced in size. Key leaders of the rebellion will face trial for treason, and President Roosevelt has reportedly asked Attorney General Caledon Blake to seek, “the highest possible punishment for traitors.” Those other minor functionaries that took part in the rebel government, and those that fought in the rebel forces have essentially been stripped of citizenship. They will not be able to hold public office or vote, and there has been some discussion about whether or not they would be able to own land, though that was not a part of the new reconstruction law.
“Reconstruction Plan Passes Congress,” St. Louis Courier, September 1, 1908.

---
LIBS KEEP HOLD OF HOUSE IN ELECTION

FRANKLIN - In a surprise to no one, the Liberals have retained and increased their hold on the House of Representatives at the expense of the Nationalists, with the Federalists gaining a boost as well. The Liberals now have 299 seats, compared to the Federalists 124 seats and the Nationalists 49 seats. It was decided to leave the seats belonging to the three states that took part in the rebellion, so there are only 491 members in the House, which will be the same for the 1910 election unless some of the rebel areas are reinstated.
The Senate is now firmly in Liberal hands as well, with 41 out of 68 seats now in Liberal control.
“Libs Keep Hold of House in Election,” Manhattan Gazette, November 5, 1908.

---
FRENCH LAW CHANGES, PRINCESS GENEVIEVE CAN NOW BE QUEEN

NEW PARIS - After months of deliberation, the French National Assembly voted today to change the laws of royal succession to allow King Louis XIX’s only surviving child, Princess Genevieve, to become queen upon his death. The monarch’s health has been poor for years, even prior to the evacuation to Corsica at the end of the recent war. There was great fear that, should the French king die without an actual blood heir that the kingdom would descend into chaos, and that the communalists now in charge of mainland France would be able to swoop in and take over.
Princess Genevieve, formerly the Queen of Bavaria prior to her husband’s execution and the victory of the communalist rebels that supplanted the Kingdom of Bavaria, returned to Corsica after nearly two years living in Texas. She had fled Europe to try and evade possible communalist assassins who were said to be after her young son, Prince Georg. However, tragedy struck while in Texas, and her son passed away earlier this year, prompting the princess to trek back to Europe. There are rumors circulating in the French court that there may be a wedding in the coming months or sometime next year, as it would not do to have a new Queen without any heirs of her own.
“French Law Changes, Princess Genevieve Can Now Be Queen,” Franklin Observer, November 8, 1908.

---
LONDON TO HOST FIRST MODERN OLYMPICS

AMSTERDAM - The newly established World Olympic Committee, a product of September’s Peace Conference held in London, has voted on the host of the first Modern Olympic Games, to be held in 1910. It was a toss up between Amsterdam, London, Rome, and Paris initially, but several founding nations said they were too uncomfortable having the games in communalist-controlled Paris, and Amsterdam declined the honor last week. In the end, the British government’s announcement that they would help fund the first games as an effort to promote peace won over the committee, and the vote was nearly unanimous in support of London.
Some members of the committee had initially suggested holding the games in Greece every year, but instability in the region made that idea less than appealing. In the end, it was decided that the games, to be held every four years, would be held in a new city in different country every time.
“London to Host First Modern Olympics,” Boston Eagle, November 22, 1908.

---
GENERAL ROOSEVELT APPOINTED AS GOV OF OCCUPATION ZONE

FRANKLIN - It was announced today by Secretary of War John Potter that General James P. Roosevelt Jr., one of the heroes of the recent rebellion, will be serving as Military Governor of the entire occupied zone, hereby being called the Plains Military District. While some have already cried out against this appointment as a sign of nepotism, since the general is President Roosevelt’s older brother, the press secretary at Washington House was quick to put out a statement saying that President Roosevelt, while he felt his brother is qualified for the position, had actually supported another candidate for the position, to avoid exactly such a claim about nepotism. Despite being brothers, there is a well-documented split between the two on most matters of policy. General Roosevelt had been a Democrat until the party joined with the Republicans to form the Nationalist Party, and had been outspoken against Governor Perriman’s candidacy back in 1906.
General Roosevelt is likely to keep his headquarters in New Charleston, where he has been located since the end of the rebellion in the Spring. General Calvert has relocated back to Fort Calhoun, and will be reporting to General Roosevelt and helping maintain order in the eastern half of the military district.
“General Roosevelt Appointed as Gov of Occupation Zone,” Franklin Observer, December 1, 1908.

---
GROUND BROKEN ON NEW BRANDT MEMORIAL

FRANKLIN - This year marks the 50th anniversary of the outbreak of the War Between the States, and ground has been broken on a memorial to honor the late Hugo Brandt, 14th President of the United States, who helped win the fight against the Slaver Union. The new memorial will be built in the nation’s capital on the North Bank of the Ohio River. The plans call for a domed, open rotunda, with Brandt’s statue in the middle. Franklin’s Mayor Jacob Garrett told reporters at the groundbreaking ceremony that, if all goes according to schedule, that the memorial should be completed by the 50th anniversary of the end of the war in 1912. Plans are already in the works in Franklin along with dozens of cities across the country to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the end of the war that year, and the designers and sponsors of the new memorial hope to incorporate its dedication as part of those celebrations.
“Ground Broken on New Brandt Memorial,” Chicago Herald, January 10, 1909.

---
NEW INAUGURATION DATE APPROVED

FRANKLIN - Resulting from the rebellion crisis in 1906-1907, Congress has been debating the date of presidential inauguration. During the crisis, President-elect Roosevelt was on hand in Franklin, helping make decisions while outgoing President Landon was still in office. It is felt by most that the long delay between election and inauguration is simply a result of the slow pace of communication that existed when the nation was founded, and does not meet current realities. After much back and forth discussion, Congress has finally approved the Federal Inauguration Act, which set the date of Presidential inauguration to be January 14th at 12:00 noon, and the inauguration of Congress to be one week earlier, on January 7th, also at noon. The law also states that if such a day were to fall on a Sunday, then the inaugurations would take place the following Monday. President Roosevelt has already stated his approval for such a change, and is expected to sign the law tomorrow. Once signed, it goes into effect immediately.
“New Inauguration Date Approved,” Brooklyn Standard, February 20, 1909.

---
NATIONALISTS HOLD FIRST POST-REBELLION CONFERENCE

ST. LOUIS - “A more subdued and humbled political gathering has likely never before been seen in this country.” Those words were said to a reporter outside Jefferson Hall in St. Louis, where the Nationalist Party gathered for its first conference since the Dixian Rebellion. The familiar faces of leaders from the 1906 convention are almost all gone, either arrested or dead as a result of the rebellion. Haymitch Winslet, Senator from Iowa, was elected as the new Party Chairman. In his acceptance speech, Senator Winslet said, “We as a party must go before God, and go before the American people, and ask, no, beg, for forgiveness. We were led astray by the rabidity of the Western Radicals, much to our shame. We still believe in small government, in strong national defense, and in pride at being American. But we can no longer condone the blatant and outdated notions of racism that ran rampant these past few decades.”
The party delegates voted unanimously to adopt a statement unconditionally condemning the actions of the Dixian rebels, and former party presidential candidate Francis Perriman in particular. A new platform is being circulated that drops all mention of race, a bold and shocking move for a party so closely associated with notions of racial superiority for whites. It remains to be seen if this new platform will be adopted, but the mood is quite striking. The delegates seem determined to find a new way forward to preserve their party and find a new direction after the disastrous period that occurred after the 1906 election.
“Nationalists Hold First Post-Rebellion Conference,” Franklin Observer, April 17, 1909.

---
CASCADIA AND WASHINGTONIA GRANTED STATEHOOD

FRANKLIN - The territories of Cascadia and Washington have been granted statehood. Washington will be altering its name slightly, to Washingtonia, to try and help differentiate between itself and the District of Washington, which is home to the nation’s capital, Franklin. If it wasn’t for the recent rebellion and subsequent devolution of the three rebel states, this would have been the last of America’s territories to achieve statehood.
“Cascadia and Washingtonia Granted Statehood,” Astoria Dispatch, June 1, 1909.

---
BRITAIN GRANTS DOMINION STATUS TO INDIA

LONDON - It has been announced that the Indian Home Rule Bill has passed both houses of the British Parliament. The bill grants India the same rights of home rule as already enjoyed by Borealia, in essence pseudo-independence while still linked to the British Crown and some aspects of Parliamentary oversight. Most Indians support the move, not wanting to fully throw off the yoke of British interference, but wanting to run the day-to-day aspects of their country themselves. Such a move would have been nigh-unthinkable just a decade ago under Victoria I, but her daughter is seen as much more progressive than her mother, who herself was seen as a reformer in her day.
Officials in London have stated that they hope this will diffuse any tension on the subcontinent that were listening to more radical voices calling for an overthrow of British rule all together. There are still concerns about religious violence, but officials in both London and Delhi are hopeful for the future. Now that the bill has passed, India will hold a constitutional convention to draft a constitution that will adhere to the requirements of the new Home Rule Bill and establish democratic parliamentary government for India.
“Britain Grants Dominion Status to India,” Brooklyn Standard, August 1, 1909.

---
RUSSIANS SELL ALYESKA TO BOREALIA

VICTORIA - The government of Czar Alexander II has negotiated a deal to sell the Russian territory of Alyeska to Borealia for an as-of-yet-undetermined sum. Borealian Prime Minister Michael Buchanan stated that, “the purchase of Alyeska just makes sense. Borealia will now stretch from Atlantic to Pacific and share the land north of the United States with no other power.” The British government in London is said to have also played a hand in making this purchase happen. Borealia is promising to respect the rights and traditions and culture of the some 75-100,000 ethnic Russians living in Alyeska, making provisions for dual-language education and administration, similar to what happens in French-speaking Quebec.
It is not fully clear why the Czar and his ministers wanted to divest of the territory. Some speculate the large sums of money spent by the Imperial government maintaining order in such a far-flung territory, so far from the heart of the Russian Empire. Others think that the Czar is up to some unknown and nefarious plan, and needs money for this scheme.
“Russians Sell Alyeska to Borealia,” Manhattan Gazette, September 6, 1909.

---
GEN. ROOSEVELT CHALLENGES GUN LAW

NEW CHARLESTON - Last week, Congress passed the Military District Firearm Restriction Act, which essentially stripped down the rights of gun owners in the occupied military district encompassing Platte, Metropotamia, and Dixiana. The new law forbids the private ownership of any sort of pistol or “handgun,” and states that each household can only own one hunting rifle per every male 20 years of age or older that reside in said household. Furthermore, stockpiling ammunition is forbidden, and all guns must be registered with the army. This registration process would require a number be attached to each registered gun, so that ownership could be more quickly ascertained if it were found out of place. Those who objected to the bill before it was signed by President Roosevelt stated that they felt this went against the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution which protects the right to own firearms, but the majority of Congressmen felt that these territories in rebellion needed stern punishment, and a recent string of hit-and-run attacks on troops stationed in more rural areas have increased the pressure for some sort of action.
Today, however, General Roosevelt, the military governor of the Plains Military District, stated that he opposes the sweeping nature of this bill, and that his administration would seek to challenge it in court. The General went on to say, however, that he is bound by his oath to follow the law as it exists, but plans on implementing the new regulations as slowly as possible while his challenge works its way through the courts.
“Gen. Roosevelt Challenges Gun Law,” St. Louis Courier, September 16, 1909.

---
BOURBON TOWER SAVED

PARIS - Built on the banks of the Seine at the north end of the Champ de Mars, the Bourbon Tower has stood as the world’s tallest manmade structure since it opened in 1890 for the 1890 World Exhibition, which celebrated the 75th anniversary of the Bourbon restoration in 1815. At nearly 1,100 feet tall, the tower stands in the heart of revolutionary, communalist Paris as a symbol of the old regime that the revolutionaries have all but vanquished. There had been a proposal to destroy the tower since the Communalists took the city in 1904, but as of yet nothing has come to fruition, and today the government of the United European Republics declared the structure a “protected monument of the people,” and made it illegal to tear it down.
Its exact future remains uncertain. Discussions are already taking place about renaming the tower. The two most popular proposals are “The People’s Tower,” or “Marchand Tower,” after the French Communalist leader, or event “Eiffel Tower,” after the engineer who designed the structure.
“Bourbon Tower Saved,” Boston Eagle, October 1, 1909.

---
Man’s dream of taking to the air under their own power first came to fruition in France in 1906. Inventor Jean-Luc Pelletier, who had been working on designs for a flying machine since the 1890s, had been nearly ready to test out a viable flying machine when the Great European War broke out in 1899. The war put Pelletier’s work on hold, as with everything else. Pelletier was a communalist sympathizer, so when the revolution broke out in 1903, he flocked to the revolutionary banner, surviving the war and moving up some in the ranks. His talent with engineering caught the attention of several superior officers, and so in 1905 he was transferred to the newly established Technical Institute of the European People’s Army, headquartered in Lyon. It was there that Pelletier, working with a team of like-minded designers and inventors, was able to build the first viable flying machine, which he tested on April 3, 1906. The flight lasted for nearly 30 seconds.
Across the Atlantic, inventors William and Katherine Gates, a married couple from Massachusetts, had also been hard at work coming up with a design for a proper flying machine. They were fascinated by the Pelletier flight in 1906, and began to read everything they could that came out of the UER about Pelletier’s successes and failures to try and learn from their French counterpart’s mistakes. Their hard work paid off, and on March 3, 1908, the first heavier-than-air flying craft took off outside of Boston, flying for an astounding five minutes before landing (it should be noted, by this time Pelletier’s team was having flights of similar length, and even longer).
Hanson, Dr. Michael. A Modern History of Aviation. St. Louis: Univ. of the West Press, 2017.

---
JAPAN EMERGES FROM DECADE-LONG CIVIL WAR

KYOTO - Fighting for the future of Japan first broke out in 1899, in the chaotic aftermath of the assassination of Queen Victoria I. Although there were several competing factions seeking victory, they ended up forming two main camps: the Republicans and the Imperialists. Both had conservative factions that wanted to purge Japan of as much foreign culture as possible, while both also had more liberal members wanting to embrace the world and modernity. Last week, a decisive battle was waged outside Tokyo between the two factions. In the end, the republican forces of Katsunan Suko were victorious. The Imperialists signed an official surrender at their (now occupied) capital at Kyoto, and today General Suko declared the birth of the Federal Republic of Japan. A preliminary constitution was drafted several years ago and is now to go into effect. Suko announced he will serve as President until elections can be held in 1910 or 1911.
“Japan Emerges from Decade-Long Civil War,” Franklin Observer, December 1, 1909.

---
PRESIDENT GIVES FIRST EVER RADIO ADDRESS

FRANKLIN - President Roosevelt gave the first ever presidential radio address this morning, sending out Christmas well-wishes to the estimated tens of thousands who were within broadcast range. The signal was sent out by FR01, Franklin Radio One, which opened three years ago and has been sending out regular broadcasts since 1908. The signal was then picked up by other stations in the old Midwest and was rebroadcast as far away as Chicago and St. Louis. Here is the full text of the president’s remarks, which was unfortunately not picked up here in Boston:

“My fellow citizens, it is a true marvel that today I can speak to you from Washington House in Franklin, directly into your own homes. We live in an age of promise and of marvels. Now that our country has put aside the recent violence and upheaval, and our cousins in Europe have begun to rebuild after so many years of terrible war, we can all look towards the future with hope. I want to wish all of you who can hear my voice, and those who will read my remarks later, a Happy Christmas. May your holiday season be merry and full of joy.”
“President Gives First Ever Radio Address,” Boston Eagle. December 24, 1909.

---
PLAN FOR PLAINS DISTRICT READMISSION PASSES CONGRESS

FRANKLIN - After a narrow vote in both the House and Senate, the Plains District Readmission Act has passed, and heads to Washington House for approval. The Act formally sets out a plan for Platte and Metropotamia to be readmitted as states by 1913 (they are not being allowed to join until after the 1912 presidential election, a measure most in Congress have publicly admitted is purely punitive in nature). The former state of Dixiana, now the territories of Brandt and Adams, will be granted local territorial control in 1913, formally ending the military control of the region. General Roosevelt testified before Congress that he felt it would take that long for the military to finish breaking up the remnants of Dixie culture and political influence in the occupied territories.
“Plan for Plains District Readmission Passes Congress,” Manhattan Gazette, February 3, 1910.

---
COURT RULES IN MIDDLE GROUND ON GUN LAW

FRANKLIN - In J. Roosevelt vs. United States, the case that has pitted General Roosevelt against the administration of his younger brother, the Supreme Court has finally released their verdict, and neither side will be fully happy. The Court ruled that the severity of the ban on firearms was an overreach of Federal authority, even for a territory occupied due to rebellion. While limits on weapons, “whose sole purpose is to kill or maim a human being,” is perfectly okay, according to the ruling, “limits on firearms that are utilitarian in nature, such as hunting rifles, is a step too far.” Furthermore, the Court has ruled in favor of the requirement that all legally obtained weapons be registered. “It is the opinion of the court that a registry of firearms would serve as a census of firearms, and fits into the idea of having a “well regulated militia,” as called for by the 2nd Amendment.”
“Court Rules in Middle Ground on Gun Law,” Brooklyn Standard, April 11, 1910.

---
UNDER NEW RULING, FSS PROPOSES GUN REGISTRY

FRANKLIN - Federal Security Services Directory Donald Edwards put forth a proposal today to establish a nation-wide gun registry along the lines of the one established in the Plains Military District, which was upheld by last month’s Supreme Court ruling in the case of J. Roosevelt vs. United States. Director Edwards stated, “The Supreme Court has said that such a registry is in line with the idea of our country having a well regulated militia. If we know how many private firearms there are in this country, we know how many people we can call upon in the event of a national crisis. In addition, such a registry would help the FSS and local law enforcement in pursuing criminals who abuse their right to own firearms by harming their fellow citizen.”
Critics of the new proposal, including New York Representative Benjamin Remington, whose family owns one of the nation’s premier arms companies, have called the law a “slipper first step down the path of destruction.” Representative Remington told reporters that, “the right to bear arms is of the utmost importance to the safety and security of our beloved Republic. If we begin to curtail this right, which I believe this proposed bill does, it paves the way for tyrants to take power, and the American people defenseless against such tyrants.” Many in the Nationalist Party have echoed this sentiment. However, many in the Liberal Party disagree. Senator Jacob Fairweather of Kanasaw stated, “the recent rebellion in the Plains states would have been harder to pull off had we had such a registry, or at least it would have made the fight against the rebels easier. We would have known which private citizens had guns and who to look out for in the rebel territory.”
“Under New Ruling, FSS Proposes Gun Registry,” Chicago Herald, May 29, 1910.

---
NEW CHARLESTON TO BE RENAMED ROOSEVELT CITY

NEW CHARLESTON- The War and Interior Departments have announced that New Charleston, former capital of Dixiana and currently the primary administrative center of the Plains Military District, will be renamed “Roosevelt City,” in honor of both General Roosevelt who helped crush the Dixian rebellion, and his brother, the President. New Charleston/Roosevelt City has been designated as the future territorial capital of Brandt Territory, one of two territories former Dixiana has been divided into.
“New Charleston to be Renamed Roosevelt City,” St. Louis Courier, July 9, 1910.

---
WORLD OLYMPICS OPEN IN LONDON

LONDON - Athletes from 31 nations have gathered in London for the opening of the first-ever World Olympic Games. The event was officially opened at the newly built Royal Stadium at Wembley Park by Queen Victoria II, with over 60,000 people in attendance. Just over 70 events have been planned, and the games are expected to last just under a month, ending on September 3. The United States has sent a team, with nearly 50 young men representing America in the games. Odds are on either British or Prussian victory in many of the events, but there are high hopes in some events for America to shine, particularly in long-distance running.
“World Olympics Open in London,” Franklin Observer, August 5, 1910.

---
FIRST PERMANENT CINEMA OPENS

CUMBERLAND - As part of a slowly growing national trend, the city of Cumberland, one of the hubs of the National Road Network, has witnessed the opening of its first permanent Cinema House. Cinematography has been a slowly growing form of entertainment for the past few decades, but it has only been since the late 1890s that it started to move side-show attraction at your local county fair to a more serious business. At last count, there are possibly more than two dozen permanent, purpose built (or refurbished) theaters that show only moving pictures nationwide, but cinematography enthusiasts can rest assured that it appears this trend is only going to continue to grow.
“First Permanent Cinema Opens,” Georgetown Cryer, August 17, 1910.

---
OLYMPICS END IN SUCCESS, PRUSSIA MOST VICTORIOUS

LONDON - Having won 29 different events, the Kingdom of Prussia has come out on top as the most victorious nation at the first World Olympics, which concluded today in London. At the closing ceremony at Wembley Park, a representative from the Prussian team, the British team, and the American team were had crowns of gold, silver, and bronze in the shape of the laurel wreath crowns that athletes had received during the course of the games, to honor the top three winning nations.
“Olympics End in Success, Prussia Most Victorious,” Manhattan Gazette, September 3, 1910.

---
KING LOUIS XIX OF FRANCE DEAD

NEW PARIS - Princess Genevieve and her husband, Prince Joseph, have announced that her father, King Louis XIX, has died from pneumonia. Genevieve, who is 7 months pregnant, will now ascend to the throne as Queen Genevieve I. The new French monarch is no stranger to the spotlight or having to make difficult decisions. In her first marriage to the late Bavarian monarch King Maximilian III, the Genevieve had to make several tough calls to try and protect herself and her young son (who died while she was living in self-imposed exile in Texas in 1908). Her marriage to Prince Joseph of Spain and subsequent pregnancy has given hope to the people of Royalist France that they still may have a future.
“King Louis XIX of France Dead,” Brooklyn Standard, September 15, 1910.

---
OTTOMAN SULTAN OVERTHROWN

CONSTANTINOPLE - Ottoman Sultan Abdul Hamid II has been overthrown by republican and communalist revolutionaries. The royal palace in Constantinople was stormed by angry mobs protesting the recent execution of popular republican leader Rasim Sahan last week. It appears that some members of the military joined the mob, and others merely stood aside and allowed the protestors to storm the palace unimpeded. The exact whereabouts of the sultan are unknown at this time. There are several unsubstantiated rumors that he was executed on the spot.
“Ottoman Sultan Overthrown,” Franklin Observer, October 9, 1910

---
WORLD OLYMPIC COMMITTEE SELECTS AMSTERDAM FOR 1914 GAMES

LONDON - Most attendees and serious observers have agreed that the recently concluded 1910 World Olympic Games held in London were a great success, and as such the WOC voted today to hold the second games in Amsterdam in 1914. Amsterdam reportedly beat out Rome, Madrid, and Brooklyn, all of which had petitioned the committee to be the host. The committee also announced that from now on, future hosts would be decided on further in advance, so that at the conclusion of one Games, the location for the next would already be known. There is already some discussion about who will host the 1918 games, with the serious discussion of holding it in the United States or Borealia.
“World Olympic Committee Selects Amsterdam for 1914 Games,” St. Louis Courier, October 20, 1910.

---
LIBS SLIP IN ELECTION, STILL IN CONTROL OF HOUSE

FRANKLIN - The Liberal Party lost 34 seats in Tuesday’s election, going from 299 seats to 265, still above the 248 seats required to control the House. Most of those seats were won by Federalists, who went from 124 seats to 150. Another small but noticeable gain was for the CPUS, which went from 19 members in the House to 31. The Nationalists dropped another 3 seats, bringing them down to 46. It is unclear of First Secretary Gregory Dotson, who has been in office since 1903, will continue his role as Speaker of the House, or if he will resign and allow new leadership to take over.
In the Senate, the Liberals maintain their control there as well, with 42 of the 72 seats. 44, if you count the two CPUS members who usually caucus with the Liberals. The results in both the House and the Senate mean that President Roosevelt will continue to have Congressional support for the last two years of his presidency.
“Libs Slip in Election, Still in Control of House,” Boston Eagle, November 10, 1910.

---
DOTSON RESIGNS, REPLACED BY CRAFT

FRANKLIN - First Secretary Gregory Dotson has resigned his position, allowing his party to elect a new leader in the House. That honor now falls to Raymond Craft of Mississippi. Craft was voted in by the House as the new Speaker, and then travelled down Union Avenue from the Congress Hall to Washington House, where he was formally announced as the new First Secretary of the United States by President Roosevelt.
“Dotson Resigns, Replaced by Craft,” Chicago Herald, January 9, 1911.

---
PRESIDENT PROPOSES ELECTION DAY HOLIDAY

FRANKLIN - In his annual State of the Union address delivered to Congress last night, President Roosevelt formally endorsed an idea that has been circulating in liberal circles for decades: declare election day a national holiday, to ensure the maximum possible eligable voters can show up and vote. “Citizens should not have to choose between showing up to work on time or doing their civic duty on election day. Factories and schools, stores and offices should be closed, and the American people should have the luxury of exercising their sacred right to choose their leaders without having to rush back to work, or having to rush to the polls after work before they head home. And for our lower class, the choice is worse: do I work today and provide for my family, or do I vote and lose a day’s wage? Here in America in the 20th Century, we must continue to be a beacon of democracy by better protecting the right to vote.” His statement received a thunderous applause from the majority of those in the House chamber.
“President Proposes Election Day Holiday,” Brooklyn Standard, January 17, 1911.

---
CURIOSITY: UER OPENS INTERNATIONAL LANGUAGE INSTITUTE, WANTS SINGLE LANGUAGE

STRASSBURG - The multi-ethnic, multi-lingual Union of European Republics has opened a new center for learning in their capital at Strassburg: The International Language Institute. UER First Chairman Jean Marchand told reporters at the opening ceremony that, “Our Union has many tongues, and it is our hope that this institute will bring together the greatest linguists of our time and undo what was done at Babel: instead of the great multitude of languages spoken, we can unite all humanity with a single language.” The IIL, as the initials are in French, is aiming to come up with an easy to use constructed language that can be taught and used throughout the UER, and possibly spread elsewhere, as of course one of the long-term political goals of the Union is to unify all of Europe under the communalist banner.
“Curiosity: UER Opens International Language Institute, Wants Single Language,” Manhattan Gazette, March 10, 1911.

---
Modern American pop-culture really got its start in the early 1900s, in the years following the Great European War and the Dixie Rebellion. In 1907, the first bottle of Dr. Tom’s Elixir was sold in New Orleans. Within two decades, stores and restaurants from Astoria to Boston would be stocked with tommies, sodas, or lixes, depending on just where you lived. And while Dr. Tom’s remains the most synonymous with the beverage, their biggest rivals, Cumberland Cola and Franklin Fizzers were both in operation by 1915.
And what would modern America be today without a stop at Auntie’s for lunch or a meal on the go? The first Auntie’s, known then as Auntie Jane’s, opened in St. Louis in 1900, and by 1905 there were 5 dozen Auntie Jane’s across the country, built by special contract all along the USRC’s rail network. Nearly every station had an Auntie Jane’s in the station or right next door. These restaurants were the first fast-food franchise, operating on a simple concept: offer standard, high-quality service and surroundings with a menu that would be the same whether in Crossings, Washingtonia, or St. Augustine, Florida. While having a “standardized” menu, Auntie’s made a unique choice that has had an unfathomable effect on American appetites. The company chose to pick 7 regional specialties from around the United States and make those the core of their menu, in addition to allowing each location to add two to four local specialties. This plan gave Americans everywhere a taste of food they’d never before experienced, while still providing that standardize service. It was a near instant hit, and Auntie’s has been able to ride the waves of public opinion and taste and survive and thrive for over a century.
The origins of modern popular music, such as RagTech, Naf, Tex-step, and Country got their start in this period as well, with the advent of early radio and the proliferation of the phonograph and record players. The RagTech of today got its start as Ragtime, sometimes called Jigtime. Like most American popular music, Ragtime and its successors were heavily influenced by African American music that went back to the days of slavery. Ragtime mixed these beats and rhythms with classical European music. Naf, known first as the longer New Africa Sound, started in New Orleans and spread throughout the deep south. Tex-step mixed the latin sounds of old Mexico with the sounds of more recent German arrivals in Texas, and quickly spread across the border into the US, becoming a big hit in the South and along the Mississippi. Country largely originated in the backwoods folk songs of Appalachia, and mixed with later tunes produced in the frontier states.
Vance, Dr. Benjamin. Modern Americana: From Lixes to RagTech. Franklin: UUS Press House, 2001.

---
Most modern historians agree that the period of reconstruction for the territory of the short-lived Dixiana Republic went from the end of the rebellion in 1908 up until the state of Adams was admitted to the union in 1920. During that 12 year period of military rule, the Dixie identity was systematically dismantled by the Roosevelt and Hannah administrations. Any town named after a prominent Dixian or old-Union Slaver was renamed. Powerful families were disenfranchised, their property confiscated and offered to new homesteaders or eastern businessmen. The Department of Education played a key role in the erasure of Dixian identity in the United States. All federally approved textbooks gave the same, grim outlook on the Dixians and of the Slaver Union. Hawthorne and Perriman were painted, rightly or wrongly, as almost monsters. And under the military rule, objection to these lessons had a heavy price. Parents in towns across the region lost custody of their children if they attempted to complain about the new curriculum, or attempted to pull their children out of school entirely. It is estimated that some 10,000 children were removed from their homes during Reconstruction.

And what is often overlooked is that nearly one quarter of the population of the old state of Dixiana left the country all together. Some drifted into California, but most ended up in Spanish Cuba or the Empire of Brazil, both of which had somewhat substantial Dixian communities that dated back to the aftermath of the War Between the States, in particular Dixie City, Cuba, and New Atlanta, Brazil. These communities, both originally having populations in the tens of thousands, were suddenly inundated with more than 300,000 refugees each over the decade of reconstruction. At first overwhelmed, the “Dixiano” communities in both Cuba and Brazil embraced their newly arrived cousins, and while some ended up going back to the United States, both communities would become forced to be reckoned with in their respective countries.
Locke, Dr. Elizabeth. Reconstruction and the Death of Dixie. Roosevelt City: Univ. of Brandt Press, 2000.

---
FIRST PASSENGER FLIGHT BY ZEPPELIN

BENTONVILLE - The Zeppelin Airship Works, in partnership with investors here in Bentonville, has created the first-ever purpose-built passenger airship. The first flight of this new ship, the Texan Rose, will take off today from Zeppelin Field, and carry 25 paying passengers to Texopolis, a distance of nearly 140 miles. The flight is expected to take about 3 hours. Non-military passengers have flown on Zeppelin’s machines before today, but always as guest of the company to show off the machines. This marks the first time passengers have paid for a flight from one location to another. The Zeppelin Airship Works stated that, if this flight proves as successful as they hope, that there could be regular air service to key cities in the Federation and beyond by the end of the decade.
“First Passenger Flight by Zeppelin,” Texan Times (Bentonville), April 20, 1911.

---
FSS GUN REGISTRY PASSES CONGRESS

FRANKLIN - The controversial proposal by the Federal Security Service to have all civilian-owned weapons be registered to show legal ownership has passed both Houses of Congress. To a man, the Nationalists voted against the new law, but the Liberals still maintain their full control of the national legislature, making the Nationalist’s dissenting vote only symbolic in nature. Starting on January 1, 1912, all privately-owned guns in this country must be registered with local offices of the FSS. Failure to comply by January 1st, 1913, will result in a confiscation of all weapons, a lifetime ban on purchasing new weapons, and at least 5 years in jail.
The American Sportsman Society, together with the American Arms Association, has promised to take the government to court over the new law, which President Roosevelt will sign into law tomorrow.
“FSS Gun Registry Passes Congress,” Franklin Observer, September 17, 1911.

---
PRESIDENT PROPOSES FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS BUREAU

FRANKLIN - With the continued growth of the new medium of radio in mind, President Roosevelt has proposed the creation of a new bureau to both promote the growth of radio and regulate its use. Several leaders in the new industry have called on some sort of regulation, to standardize call signs and the use of frequencies. Some local and state governments have already started such measures, but the president and his administration feel that this is a matter of inter-state commerce and should be handled at the national level. The president would also like this new agency to help subsidize the creation of new radio stations in more areas of the country, to help bring the nation closer together.
“President Proposes Federal Communications Bureau,” St. Louis Courier, October 27, 1911.

---
VP HANNAH ANNOUNCES RUN FOR WASHINGTON HOUSE

BOSTON - Vice President Patrick Hannah has announced that he is running for the presidency in 1912. Before being elected as Vice President on the Liberal Party ticket in 1906, Hannah served two terms as Governor of Massachusetts, and many here in Boston still hold him in high regard. And on a national level, President Roosevelt has enjoyed a high level of popularity, and there are many that see the potential for a Hannah Administration to be a continuance of the current government. If he were to win, this would mark the first time that a Vice President successfully transitioned from that position to the Presidency on their own merit, instead of becoming president due to the death of the previous president before their term was up.
“VP Hannah Announces Run for Washington House,” Boston Eagle, December 1, 1911.

---
ST. LOUIS MAYOR JACOB MURPHY WILL RUN ON NATIONALIST TICKET

ST. LOUIS - Popular St. Louis Mayor Jacob Murphey, one of the key leaders in the so-called “centrist wing” of the Nationalist Party, has announced his intention to run for the Presidency. Murphy stated in his announcement that, “it is time we rebuilt this party, and took our core message of small government, the importance of states’ rights, and the rights of the individual, to all corners of this great nation of ours. President Roosevelt and his administration has pushed to expand the government and invade the home of every gun owner in America. A vote for Hannah is a vote for more of the same. A Jacob Murphy presidency will be a bright new day for America.”
“St. Louis Mayor Jacob Murphy Will Run on Nationalist Ticket,” Brooklyn Standard, January 7, 1912.

---
CONGRESS PASSES ELECTION DAY LAW

FRANKLIN - President Roosevelt’s endorsement of a plan to make Election Day a federally protected holiday has paid off. The Federal Election Day Holiday Act has passed Congress and will go into effect this year, making Election Day an official national holiday. All “non-essential” businesses and services are to be closed, so that as many people as possible can make it to the polls. So mark your calendars, Tuesday November 5th is now a day off work for most Americans.
“Congress Passes Election Day Law,” Astoria Herald, February 9, 1912.

---
CONVENTION SURPRISE: GEN. ROOSEVELT IS MURPHY’S VP!

PHILADELPHIA - There were several major contenders to be Jacob Murphy’s running mate in the election this November. Chief among them were Senator Haymitch Winslet of Iowa, Governor Jackson Porter of Jefferson, and Representative Caleb Ulman of Tennessee. However, a grassroots write-in campaign by convention delegates has completely overturned the applecart. The delegates passed over all of these qualified candidates for a popular if soft-spoken Nationalist: General James P Roosevelt Jr., the older brother of the current president. Faced with overwhelming support, the convention voted to elect the general as their VP Candidate, and General Roosevelt wired his acceptance from Roosevelt City. He is reportedly on a train now to accept the nomination in person.
There are many unanswered question about this bold and unprecedented move by the Nationalists. Roosevelt is a popular figure among many people, not just the Nationalists, and so his name could help their chances in November. However, an active duty member of the armed forces has never ran for high office before, so no one knows what the protocol is. Should he resign his commission? Can he keep his position in the army until the election is over and resign it if he wins? Can he keep his commission while serving as Vice President?
“Convention Surprise: Gen. Roosevelt is Murphy’s VP!” Manhattan Gazette, July 20, 1912.

---
ROOSEVELT RESIGNS COMMISSION, COMMITS TO RACE

PHILADELPHIA - General Roosevelt, before the enthralled audience of the Nationalist Party Convention, announced that he was accepting the party nomination to run as Vice President, and would be resigning his military commission effective immediately, so that he could devote his full time and attention to the campaign. This lays to rest days of questions as to what the proper protocol would be for a member of the armed services to run for political office. The answer seems to be, the two shall not mix. If you want to be in politics, you have to leave the army behind.
President Roosevelt, the General’s younger brother, has remained quiet on the news of his brother’s nomination for the Nationalist Ticket. Sources at Washington House indicate that the President is not too concerned one way or the other, saying simply, “may the best man win.”
“Roosevelt Resigns Commission, Commits to Race,” Chicago Herald, July 27, 1912.

---
HANNAH WINS NOMINATION, GOV. BENJAMIN WOODLARK OF GIGADOHI IS VP CHOICE

MANHATTAN - Vice President Hannah has, unsurprisingly, won his party’s nomination for the Presidency. In yet another historic moment in this campaign, Hannah convinced the convention to nominate Governor Benjamin Woodlark of Gigadohi for the Vice Presidency. Woodlark, a Cherokee, is the first Native American to be nominated by any party’s national ticket. Regardless of who wins in November, history will be made.
“Hannah Wins Nomination, Gov. Benjamin Woodlark of Gigadohi is VP Choice,” Franklin Observer, August 3, 1912.

---
FEDERALISTS NOMINATE BREWER, MCMILLAN FOR NATIONAL TICKET

CHICAGO - The Federalist Party has nominated Governor Markus Brewer of Ohio as their presidential candidate, and Senator Joshua McMillan of Georgia as their VP candidate. Both men are promising to “reign in” the rapid expansion of Federal power that has taken place under the Roosevelt administration, and start a new era of “responsible, business friendly government.”
“Federalists Nominate Brewer, McMillan For National Ticket,” St. Louis Courier, August 15, 1912.

---
COMMUNALISTS ENDORSE VP HANNAH

WHEELING - The Communalist Party of the United States, meeting in their first convention for a presidential election year, has announced that instead of splitting progressive-minded votes in this year’s national election, that they would be endorsing Vice President Hannah’s candidacy for president. Hannah campaign officials have stated that they have mixed feelings about this announcement, worried that some voters will associate the radicalism usually attached to the Communalists with VP Hannah, which might in turn cause them to vote for one of his opponents. The Vice President himself has yet to issue any sort of statement. It is likely that he will quietly accept such a move but make no real public acknowledgment of it.
“Communalists Endorse VP Hannah,” Chicago Herald, September 1, 1912.
---

HANNAH RECEIVES MOST VOTES, WILL BREWER ENDORSE?

FRANKLIN - Vice President Patrick Hannah and his running Benjamin Woodlark have received 283 electoral votes, just 4 shy of an absolute electoral majority. It now falls to Markus Brewer of the Federalist Party to decide who will win the Presidency. Will he support Hannah, who he attacked regularly on the campaign as “just a carbon copy of President Roosevelt,” or will he give his 121 electoral votes to Nationalist candidate Jacob Murphy? One could argue that the moral choice would be Hannah, as he has all but won a majority already. But one could also argue that slightly more people voted for “not Hannah,” and following the will of the people would really be to make Murphy president. The Brewer campaign office stated that they will have a statement ready for the press on Monday, the 11th.
“Hannah Receives Most Votes, Will Brewer Endorse?” Brooklyn Standard, November 7, 1912.
---

VP HANNAH WILL BE 24TH PRESIDENT WITH BREWER SUPPORT

FRANKLIN - Federalist candidate for president Markus Brewer announced that he will be giving his 121 electoral votes to Vice President Hannah, making Hannah the President-elect. Brewer reportedly spent all weekend wrestling with this decision, and hadn’t actually made up his mind until late Sunday night. This will now mark the first time a sitting Vice President has won election to the Presidency, and the first time a Native American will serve as Vice President. This election also marks the first presidential election since the new inauguration day law was passed a few years back, so Hannah’s term as President will start on Tuesday, January 14th, 1913, instead of March 4th.
“VP Hannah Will be 24th President with Brewer Support,” Franklin Observer, November 12, 1912.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOOOONG overdue! Hope you enjoy!

I have some notes/comments I will try and make tomorrow. It's late but I couldn't stop writing so I wanted to go ahead and get this posted now while I was still awake. :)

There are also some maps I will be adding as well

Last edited:
Well, I'm not shocked at how quickly the police action went.

I am kinda shocked that the US is actually being sensible about some stuff, for once though.

Well, I'm not shocked at how quickly the police action went.

I am kinda shocked that the US is actually being sensible about some stuff, for once though.

There was essentially no way it wouldn’t have been a quick police action. Three landlocked territories surrounded by hostile....had no chance.

And sensible in what way?
I’d agree that they are, at least at the moment. But there are likely going to be some rough times coming soon.

And sensible in what way?
I’d agree that they are, at least at the moment. But there are likely going to be some rough times coming soon.
Partially making Election Day a holiday so we can actually go to vote without losing pay.

And partially the 2nd Ammendment issue, which I feared could go.... political real fast if I named it directly.

Partially making Election Day a holiday so we can actually go to vote without losing pay.

And partially the 2nd Ammendment issue, which I feared could go.... political real fast if I named it directly.

Felt that that would be something that a pro-workers party would likely get behind. (And it just makes sense!)

And yeah, went back and forth on that. And you can expect that ruling to be brought up again, and possibly reversed. It will definitely be the “Roe v. Wade,” of this TL’s early 20th Century, and a hallmark of the Nationalist Platform moving into the teens and 20s will be wanting to reverse J. Roosevelt vs. US, and aboliting the FSS’s Gun Registry.

Hannah will be a sign of real integration of Native Americans.
The Nationalists seem to want to become a modern Conservative Party.
The Government appears to be trying to avoid by all means a new rebellion.
How well will the rebel expatriates integrate in the host countries?
The gun laws seem sensible from a modern point of view.
The Communalists appear to be a more radical form of socialism. Would they be something like OTL Russian Left-SRs?
Can't help like to see the continuous reliance on alliances in TTL US to promote bipartisanship.

Hannah will be a sign of real integration of Native Americans.
The Nationalists seem to want to become a modern Conservative Party.
The Government appears to be trying to avoid by all means a new rebellion.
How well will the rebel expatriates integrate in the host countries?
The gun laws seem sensible from a modern point of view.
The Communalists appear to be a more radical form of socialism. Would they be something like OTL Russian Left-SRs?
Can't help like to see the continuous reliance on alliances in TTL US to promote bipartisanship.

The Nationalists will definitely be resurgent, as long as they can successfully distance themselves from the crazies who rebelled in 1906. Having “the General” as one of their new rising stars helps this a lot.

In regards to preventing future rebellion, the primary attitude most people have is “bite us once, shame on you, bite us twice, shame on us,” and wanting to take concerted measures to prevent a rebellion in the future.

Rebels....integrate? Ha, you’re funny. :p
In all seriousness, it’ll be very tough. And with larger numbers they’ll be more apt to be assertive and be at loggerheads with their host nation’s government.

I’ll have to read back up on the Left-SRs. I don’t recall enough info from my college history of modern Russia class.

Yeah that’s one of my favorite parts of this TL, having forced more bipartisanship than we are used to OTL.

Rebels....integrate? Ha, you’re funny. :p
In all seriousness, it’ll be very tough. And with larger numbers they’ll be more apt to be assertive and be at loggerheads with their host nation’s government.
Dixie refugees: "America delenda est!"

Host country who has 90% of their trade with the US: "Yeah, no."

Dixie refugees: "America delenda est!"

Host country who has 90% of their trade with the US: "Yeah, no."

Haha! Something like that, in some cases.

With Cuba still nominally under Spanish rule (I need to look more into that and give a better update on the situation there), I could see the Dixianos trying to lead a rebellion for independence....

And Brazil....yeah that could go either way.

As amazing as always though can't believe the three states thought they would be able to get away with seceding. The CSA in OTL at least has a large coastline as well as cotton and other crops to outsource for their economy along with sympathetic ears in UK and France but in this case what did they have? No sea access, their only borders being with two nations that wouldn't be friendly and no friends abroad, screw from the start.

Republicanism seems to be emerging as a much more powerful force both early on and just in general, can't remember how the other monarchies are reacting but I imagine they are not happy as all. Prussia and Russia are increasingly finding themselves to be the odd ones out in Europe.

I don't think it was meant to come across that way but Genevieve seems rather cold/odd in how she is spoken about. She faked her sons death and left him in Texas because she was afraid of assassins reaching him but she goes back to remarry and have more younger children that are going to be in the same amount, if not more danger because they won't even be able to protect themselves. I might not just be seeing it but seems odd.

Still it's an amazing timeline, though interesting in what's going on in South America and with the remnants of the Spanish Empire.

As amazing as always though can't believe the three states thought they would be able to get away with seceding. The CSA in OTL at least has a large coastline as well as cotton and other crops to outsource for their economy along with sympathetic ears in UK and France but in this case what did they have? No sea access, their only borders being with two nations that wouldn't be friendly and no friends abroad, screw from the start.

Republicanism seems to be emerging as a much more powerful force both early on and just in general, can't remember how the other monarchies are reacting but I imagine they are not happy as all. Prussia and Russia are increasingly finding themselves to be the odd ones out in Europe.

I don't think it was meant to come across that way but Genevieve seems rather cold/odd in how she is spoken about. She faked her sons death and left him in Texas because she was afraid of assassins reaching him but she goes back to remarry and have more younger children that are going to be in the same amount, if not more danger because they won't even be able to protect themselves. I might not just be seeing it but seems odd.

Still it's an amazing timeline, though interesting in what's going on in South America and with the remnants of the Spanish Empire.

Perriman and his cadre of supporters in New Charleston originally thought that their sympathizers in states like Jefferson, Arkansas, Missouri, the territories of Cascadia and Washington, and possibly even Oregon, would join their cause. They were gravely mistaken. This is also why the Roosevelt administration declared martial law in so many of those states, to make it harder for them to try and join the rebellion (which in itself was a gamble, as such a show of force might have tipped the populace into support for Dixiana. Luckily it didn't and that crisis was averted).
Also, Perriman was a hot-head who'd been stirring up trouble for years with Texas, so it isn't too surprising that he made that fateful leap before actually looking.

I mean, you have this communalist republic at the heart of Western Europe, but really most of the continent are monarchies. Spain, Italy (after a fashion), Prussia, Russia, Britain, and those are just the big powers. Yes, Austria and it's former empire are all republics now, but there are plenty of big monarchs that can still throw their weight around. Prussia is probably the most reactionary, and that is likely to only get worse with the communalists controlling southern Germany.

The thing with Genevieve....so what I didn't include (because there wasn't a good way to work it in), is that while she officially told people that she left Georg in Texas for his safety, what it really boils down to is that he reminded her too much of his late father, and of that whole life in Bavaria that had gone up in smoke. She still thought of herself as French, she longed for "home," and she wanted as fresh a start as a homecoming could give her. So she chose to leave her son among "his own people," ie the German settlers in Texas, and start fresh back in Corsica.

Yeah I realized today that I've overlooked Spain and it's South American empire, which was totally an oversight on my part. I am probably going to try and look into that and write something up before the next big update.

Glad you've enjoyed everything so far!

MAPS!

1906.png

The US/North America in 1906

1907%20martial%20law.png

The US/North America in 1907. Orange shows the states in rebellion. The pale green show states under martial law.

1909.png

The US/North America in 1909. Cascadia and Washingtonia are now states, and the light green are territories but also under military government. Note that they have been reduced in size, and though it's hard to tell, Dixiana has actually been split in two along the central river that crosses it.

Plus there's also been precedent for the US's reaction to secession.