Was Winston Churchill an American Citizen?

Just a thought. Since Winston Churchill's mother was an American was he at any point a citizen? What point did it stop? When he was knighted or took a job with the British government? Did his honorary American passports mean anything? Or was it all just because no one bothered with the paperwork?

I'm not positive, but I'm fairly certain Jennie renounced her American citizenship on marrying Lord Randolph, as was standard practice for her era, class and gender on marrying a foreigner with no intention of becoming a citizen himself. Churchill received honorary citizenship later in life, but I am all but completely sure he was not a citizen by birth.

Just a thought. Since Winston Churchill's mother was an American was he at any point a citizen? What point did it stop? When he was knighted or took a job with the British government? Did his honorary American passports mean anything? Or was it all just because no one bothered with the paperwork?
I don't think an American mother was sufficient to qualify you for citizenship at the time he was born.

I think at the time, if a woman married a British citizen, she became one automatically. If not, then she would remain an Alien.

In any event, since I have not seen Churchill's long form certificate of birth, I shall not vote for him as Prime Minister.

Wasn't WSC granted some form of American citizenship during the Kennedy administration? I am reasonably sure that I saw his US passport on display at Chartwell.

Cook

Banned
I think at the time, if a woman married a British citizen, she became one automatically. If not, then she would remain an Alien.

British Subject, not citizen. And at the time dual nationality did not exist; you could not be both a British subject and a citizen of another country.

There's a timeline on the wiki somewhere about him being born in New York and... well, you can probably guess.

WSC was a British national all his life

.. British father and all that

despite an American mother, never even dual national until awarded an honorary US citizenship in 1963.