Warships that survived World War Two and should have been museums!

Insect class river gunboat.
River Monitor from Vietnam
British Monitor from WW1
CVE from WW2
LSD with full compliment of landing craft
LST with full tand and other vehicle load
Seaplane tender

Washington-the victor of one of history's last battleship engagements, and from a coastal state too! Docking her in Seattle, Bremerton, wherever should have been a no brainer. Sorry South Dakota, can't tow you up the Missouri River. Washington vs. Kirishima is much more interesting than anything that happened to preserved battleships like Massachusetts, North Carolina or Alabama.

Any one of the Pearl Harbor survivors. California and Maryland would make a lot of sense. I guess the navy didn't want anyone remembering Pearl Harbor!

San Francisco-a heavy cruiser goes toe to toe with a battleship and survives. Museum ship!

Any light cruiser, since we have no WW2 configuration American cruiser on display today. USS Little Rock in Buffalo is as close as it gets. Ideally an Atlanta class vessel.

There must be many more who else you all got?

Agree with your list, especially Warspite.

Oregon should never have been sent of to war. A stupid publicity stunt by ignorant politicians. She could have been brought back and restored but was scrapped.

Pennsylvania would have been a good Pearl Harbor survivor to preserve, she could be in Philadelphia with Olympia

California has the same problem as Washington; she went into reserve on the wrong coast!! Put them in reserve at Bremerton and/or Mare Island and they would have been easier to preserve.

Of the US light cruisers that survived the war Savannah and Honolulu had great war records and could have been preserved. The other Brooklyns had gone off to South America, and of course, the Helena was lost. She would have been a great museum somewhere with her record.... Perhaps with Washington in Bremerton as Guadalcanal veterans. Maybe we could get O'Bannon or Fletcher there as well! Detroit and Milwaukee would have been unique in their respective cities.

Salem is the only heavy cruiser on display. San Francisco with her 17 battle stars, would have been a great asset to her namesake city. Tuscaloosa would have been good for the museum in Mobile near Alabama. There was a plan to preserve Des Moines as a memorial in Milwaukee, but it fell through with a lot of opposition.

USS Nicholas DD-449 earned 30 battle stars over her long career in World War II, Korea and Vietnam. She would have been a good memorial. '

USS Barb SS-220 would have been a good submarine museum.

An odd one: USS Charleston, PG-51 would be a great addition to Patriots Point

Regards,

Seaplane tender
HMS Ark Royal (II) / HMS Pegasus perhaps? Distinguished service throughout 2 World Wars and 20 years of peacetime service would justify it.

1610049305207.png

In a TL I am writing the Washington treaty allows all signatories to preserve a few post 1900 battleships for posterity. The US chooses USS Oregon, Japan picks Musashi, and UK chooses HMS Dreadnought. All ships were required to be preserved like Musashi, encased in concrete and demilitarized. Dreadnought was only preserved last minute because of public outcry in the UK. That means that Oregon is never scrapped, and Dreadnought is preserved in Portsmouth barring any bomb damage during the blitz. ITTL France and Italy both preserve vessels, but the war sees them destroyed. I also have the UK retain a Majestic class as a museum ship by virtue of her just kinda being ignored for a decade or so. Not sure how practical that would be, but hey! I like ships.

On another note France should have definitely preserved either Richelieu or Jean Bart IMO as museum ships, while also the Italians should have kept around one of their battleships as a museum piece. Yavuz also should have been preserved either by the Turkish government or west Germany. A south American dreadnought would have also been hysterical. Just because with SA politics I could see one state like Chile deciding to keep a battleship for use as a museum, only for the other two nations with battleships to decide to do the same.

Non warships
RMS Olympic, a tall order but maybe she is saved as a museum in a TL where she serves in WWII
HMS Beagle, whatever your thoughts on Darwin the ship did quite a bit and was an interesting design
And others but I cant think straight right now.

Also IMTL the Tirpitz suffers much lighter damage during the war and is beached. Sweden enters the war in mid 45 and captures the ship. Later handing her to Norway after the ship is refloated. Norway thus becoming a late entrant into the BB club and keeping the ship around as a source of pride. Not at all realistic but sometimes history isnt. And can you imagine the revenue they could get from tourists coming to see the ship?
Er... Washington Treaty? I am really confused here...

Also, Japan preserved Mikasa so that is kind of important...?

And if we’re talking about WWII Japanese Battleships, the only one really possible is Haruna. No way in Hell that the Americans were not going to have Nagato destroyed in some manner...

Er... Washington Treaty? I am really confused here...

Also, Japan preserved Mikasa so that is kind of important...?

And if we’re talking about WWII Japanese Battleships, the only one really possible is Haruna. No way in Hell that the Americans were not going to have Nagato destroyed in some manner...
The situation is a little different to OTL. And yeah I had a total brainfart when I said Musashi... Yikes!

Hey, let's look out to the Long Lancers. What about Yukikaze? Literally the most distinguished destroyer in the entire IJN, and a major cultural/moral symbol by the end of her life, especially between China and Japan.

As for other ships, I would quite liked have seen U-48 survive the war and be preserved. Only the most successful U-boat of WW2. The Littorio-class would have been nice as well, although I accept that the money isn't there for them. I think that they would be a good example of Axis capital ships.

USS Maryland and USS Baltimore (the WWII Heavy cruiser) are obvious choices. Baltimore these days has a sizable naval museum in the Tourist oriented Inner Harbor including among other things the USCG cutter Taney (Which is the only remaining ship afloat that was at Pearl Harbor though at the time of the attack it was actually a short distance from the specific Pearl Harbor) the USS Constellation (A 1850s era sail sloop), and the USS Torsk a Tench class WWII diesel submarine that I think still has the record for most submergence's and surfacing by any Submarine ever.

USS Maryland (and preferably USS Maryland) would make obvious good choices for centerpieces of the Inner Harbor maritime Museum. Maybe have the USS Maryland in front of the National Aquarium instead of the Torsk.

Also one of the conventionally powered US Supercarriers would make a good choice. As of now it seems like none of them will be preserved. And it's not really viable to preserve the nuclear powered ones because in order to defuel them you basically have to rip out a substantial part of the shit and more or less tear the ship in half. Since it doesn't look like the the USN will ever build new conventionally powered super carriers that means the US may never have a super carrier museum.

Of the eight or so (I think) US Supercarriers that were built conventionally powered what would be the best possible option to be saved? I'm guessing USS Forrestal, USS Kitty Hawk, or USS JFK.

Well HM M33 is a preserved WW1 monitor albeit a small one.
A RN Flower Class Corvette would be high on my list.
Considering how cheap they could have got one of the Irish hulls back in the 70's it would have been possible, though a lot of work would have been needed, though we did give the RCN a weapons mount for their one from memory.

USS Maryland and USS Baltimore (the WWII Heavy cruiser) are obvious choices. Baltimore these days has a sizable naval museum in the Tourist oriented Inner Harbor including among other things the USCG cutter Taney (Which is the only remaining ship afloat that was at Pearl Harbor though at the time of the attack it was actually a short distance from the specific Pearl Harbor) the USS Constellation (A 1850s era sail sloop), and the USS Torsk a Tench class WWII diesel submarine that I think still has the record for most submergence's and surfacing by any Submarine ever.

USS Maryland (and preferably USS Maryland) would make obvious good choices for centerpieces of the Inner Harbor maritime Museum. Maybe have the USS Maryland in front of the National Aquarium instead of the Torsk.
Speaking of the poor Taney the bastards who run Baltimore have formally stripped her of her name(including her stern plate) because of who she was named for. Disgraceful behavior inflicted on a ship that served her nation faithfully and well for a long long time. Honestly the Coast Guard should repossess her(which as per the contract signed back when the Taney was donated to be a museum ship they legally can)and put her up at their academy in New London

Last edited:
USS Texas was preserved and is now falling apart since noone is willing to repair the ship. Better to be nuked than to be neglekted

The Yamato would be interesting to see, if only for its sheer size. Maybe it could become a monument to the stupidity of the Japanese high command.

Clearly USS Enterprise CV-6. Saratoga was not that famous a ship plus it was nuked so there was no way to save it. I can argue Washington either way, Yes it sunk another battleship but its sister ship North Carolina is preserved. USS Enterprise CVN-65 is a candidate but the cost of removing the reactor may make it cost prohibitive.

Speaking of the poor Taney the bastards who run Baltimore have formally stripped her of her name(including her stern plate) because of who she was named for. Disgraceful behavior inflicted on a ship that served her nation faithfully and well for a long long time. Honestly the Coast Guard should repossess her(which as per the contract signed back when the Taney was donated to be a museum ship they legally can)and put her up at their academy in New London

This is pretty directly current politics and inside the scope of Pol Chat.

Clearly USS Enterprise CV-6. Saratoga was not that famous a ship plus it was nuked so there was no way to save it. I can argue Washington either way, Yes it sunk another battleship but its sister ship North Carolina is preserved. USS Enterprise CVN-65 is a candidate but the cost of removing the reactor may make it cost prohibitive.

From what I understand to completely remove the reactor on a nuclear super carrier more or less means ripping the ship in half and tearing out a massive chunk to get to the reactor and remove it. So unless you're talking about having it as a museum ship that has practically been ripped in half it's not really viable. To restore it's appearance and structure afterwards might cost as much as actually building a nuclear super carrier.

Which makes it all the more of a shame that none of the USN's conventional super carriers are going to be preserved since it looks like none of the none of the nuclear carriers are going to be preservable.