What sources do you use for the late empire? I've been reading from a few more common ancient sources but you seem to have more little tidbits that I'm not as familiar with.
I google pretty much everything for research. I'll even use Wikipedia, provided the pages are sourced of course. It's also useful for finding historical individuals, which I like to include in my alternate timelines when possible. Categories like this are helpful if you're looking for Romans who lived in a particular century.

One source that I found particularly helpful is this: http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/secondary/BURLAT/home.html

It's very useful for understanding the politics, culture and history of the Dominate/late Roman Empire and how much it differed from its Principate past.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see you're back @Romulus Augustus! I was a fan of your original timeline The Reign of Romulus Augustus. It was one of the first things I came across on AH and it was a major inspiration for me to write own Eastern Roman timeline.

I can't wait to see where you go forward with this tl!

CHARACTERS (AD 491)

1603341242053.png

Romulus Augustus, son of Orestes
Ngl, but that throne from the movie Agora was actually really cool. Its a shame something like that didn't really exist in real life. Though I could see Romulus maybe build something creating more a cult of personality around his dynasty distancing himself from the old foundations of the Empire as a "Republican Monarchy." Though Romulus more like a measured and more contemplative man than the Commodus (from Gladiator) type version he was in the original story. While its different from the original, It still sound interesting.

Edit: here's a bigger picture of the throne from the movie
i1hzeoxuuelsywbotyhy.jpg

Last edited:
I'm glad to see you're back @Romulus Augustus! I was a fan of your original timeline The Reign of Romulus Augustus. It was one of the first things I came across on AH and it was a major inspiration for me to write own Eastern Roman timeline.

I can't wait to see where you go forward with this tl!

Ngl, but that throne from the movie Agora was actually really cool. Its a shame something like that didn't really exist in real life. Though I could see Romulus maybe build something creating more a cult of personality around his dynasty distancing himself from the old foundations of the Empire as a "Republican Monarchy." Though Romulus more like a measured and more contemplative man than the Commodus (from Gladiator) type version he was in the original story. While its different from the original, It still sound interesting.

Edit: here's a bigger picture of the throne from the movie
i1hzeoxuuelsywbotyhy.jpg
Thank you! That's kind of you to say. The Reign of Romulus Augustus will always be one of my favorite projects, and knowing that it helped inspire someone to write their own timeline means a lot to me. I hope you and others enjoy this timeline as well.

Thank you! That's kind of you to say. The Reign of Romulus Augustus will always be one of my favorite projects, and knowing that it helped inspire someone to write their own timeline means a lot to me. I hope you and others enjoy this timeline as well.
Dude what you had Romulus do with the Senate and the Italian aristocracy was brilliant! Romulus was the definition of a madlad right there.

Though how come you ended up eventually giving up on the tl? I thought where it left off was appropriate, but at the same time I was a bit bummed out that it was over. I kinda wanted to see how his successors held everything together kinda like how the final chapter of the Macedonian legacy for the Byzantines ended with Manzikert, starting the beginnings of the Komnenian era.

I hope you and others enjoy this timeline as well.
It looks great so far! I was delighted to see that Syagrius at least survived.

Dude what you had Romulus do with the Senate and the Italian aristocracy was brilliant! Romulus was the definition of a madlad right there.

Though how come you ended up eventually giving up on the tl? I thought where it left off was appropriate, but at the same time I was a bit bummed out that it was over. I kinda wanted to see how his successors held everything together kinda like how the final chapter of the Macedonian legacy for the Byzantines ended with Manzikert, starting the beginnings of the Komnenian era.

It looks great so far! I was delighted to see that Syagrius at least survived.
That was definitely the highlight of my first timeline. I still remember writing it, and how it was actually the easiest thing I ever wrote just because it was a lot of fun and I couldn't believe I was actually taking the story in that direction. It was great seeing people's reactions to it as well. That made it all worth it.

As for why I ended that timeline, it's a long story but suffice to say I was just burned out. x'D

As much as I had fun writing it and enjoyed the reactions of people who commented on it, I needed to move onto other things but I'm really glad to see that some people not only remember my first timeline but actually think well of it.

Timeline (Part 4)
PART 4 (AD 497 to AD 500)

AD 497

Western Roman Empire

Romulus Augustus begins taking a more active role in government, far more than his courtiers ever expected. Throughout his reign he has essentially been a figurehead for the Imperial Court, its members governing the Empire through the Emperor. A byproduct of this arrangement is the period of peace and stability that Italy has experienced after a century of decline and upheaval. Nevertheless, the Emperor is confidant in his ability to make meaningful administrative decisions for the betterment of the Empire.

Intrigued by the domestic policies of Emperor Majorian, Romulus chooses to continue the work left unfinished by one of his more able predecessors. He issues reforms to combat administrative corruption, financial abuse and inflation. He organizes a committee of legal experts to improve on the success of the Codex Theodosianus, intending to complete the codification of over a thousand years of Roman law.

Regarding the non-Roman population of Italy, Romulus grants Roman citizenship to the children of the various Germanic peoples (ex: Scirii, Heruli, and Rugii) who were settled in Italy. Compared to their parents, these first generation “Germanic Italians” are Romanized to the extent that they speak Latin and generally live as Romans, with some following Nicene Christianity instead of Arianism. Although the traditional senatorial aristocracy balk at this action, Romulus believes it is a natural step in the generational work of assimilating the Western Empire’s non-Roman peoples.

Romulus reignites sacred fire of Vesta, the sacred eternal flame of the city of Rome. The fire had been extinguished when Emperor Theodosius I declared the universal end of all pagan rites in the Roman Empire. Romulus decides to reinstitute it in hopes of promoting civic pride in the Roman identity, although he is also careful to reframe it in a Christian context. The Temple of Vesta is reopened as the Church of St. Mary Magdalene, and the fire is relit by the Emperor himself. While his critics grumble, scholars take note of this move with amazement while the average citizens are happy to celebrate with the free food and entertainment that the Emperor provides on this occasion.

Vandalic Kingdom

King Thrasamund, the brother and successor King Gunthamund, dies under suspicious circumstances barely a year into his reign as ruler of the Vandalic kingdom. His death is eventually blamed on Berber assassins, but the real culprit is the Roman princess Serena. Though she is outwardly a paradigm of piety and virtue, she is in fact extremely ambitious, covets the absolute power of kings and emperors, and desires above all to see her son Valentinian accede the Vandal throne (and possibly even the Roman throne in Ravenna).

Serena played a long game by spending years assimilating herself into the Vandal court, progressing from a Roman outsider to the beloved wife of a Vandal prince. Her status as a Roman princess born to the purple, combined with her husband’s Theodosian lineage, served to inflate Serena’s sense of greatness and destiny.

Over the years Serena became a favorite of King Gunthamund, as well as his brother Thrasamund. She even had an affair with the latter, and she is uncertain if her daughter Thermantia was sired by her lover or her actual husband. Regardless, this affair brought her close enough to poison Gunthamund in order to promote Hilderic’s interests, and therefore, her son’s as well.

Hilderic is crowned king of the Vandals and Alans, with Serena serving as his queen consort. At her request, the new king commissions statues of himself and his queen to be placed in the royal palace of Carthage. The Vandals, who have been minting their own coinage for some time, begin making new coins bearing the images of Hilderic and Serena.

Restoration of Roman Gaul

After three years of conflict with Clovis, Syagrius and his Burgundian allies seize control of northern Gaul from the Franks, achieving a decisive victory at the Second Battle of Soissons. Although Clovis and the remains of his army escape to the safety of Salian Frankish territory, Syagrius officially reclaims most of his former domain on behalf of the Western Roman Empire.

Clovis’ defeat encourages the independent Ripuarian Franks to attack their Salian kinsmen. As a result, Clovis agrees to a ceasefire with Syagrius in order to deal with the Ripuarian Franks who are joined by the Alamanni.

Syagrius holds a Roman-style triumph in Soissons where his soldiers suddenly proclaim him Augustus, in effect declaring him Emperor in opposition to Romulus Augustus. Although Syagrius styled himself as the Dux of Gaul, his recent achievements (marrying Clotilde, forging an alliance with Chilperic II, and returning to power in Gaul) spur him to accept the Imperial diadem.

AD 498

Imperial Family

Romulus Augustus and his son, Joannes, both fall ill. While the Emperor makes a full recovery, his heir succumbs to disease and dies at the age of sixteen, only weeks before his expected elevation to the status of junior Augustus (his father being the senior Augustus in the West). Gordian, the sole remaining son of Romulus and Amalaberge, is swiftly proclaimed Augustus as a result of his brother’s death, becoming Emperor Gordian IV (in historiography).

Wisimar, son of Hilderic and Serena, is born in Hippo Regius. He bears a Vandal name, unlike his older brother Valentinian, to honor his Vandal heritage.

Paulus, the uncle of Romulus Augustus who escaped from his prison on Capri, is discovered hiding in Sardinia which is under Vandal occupation. He beseeches his great-niece, Serena, now the queen of the Vandals, to give him sanctuary in Carthage. He is brought to the Vandalic capital, only to be locked in the royal dungeon.

Roman Gaul

Syagrius also falls ill and almost dies. He barely recovers due to his old age, and his survival is not expected to last long. Although his claim to the title of Augustus remains unrecognized by either Ravenna or Constantinople, he appoints Aurelianus, his chief advisor since before the First Battle of Soissons, as his Caesar or junior colleague.

Eastern Europe

Theodoric leads the Ostrogoths (reinforced by Thracian Goths, Bulgars and even defecting Roman soldiers) to victory against an army led by John the Scythian in the Battle of Traianopolis. He proceeds to ravage the Thracian countryside, massacring peasants, stealing livestock, enslaving women and children, and burning settlements until the Eastern Court acquiesces to his conditions for peace.

Leontius grudgingly agrees to Theodoric’s terms to avoid fighting a war on two fronts, paying a considerable bribe for peace and recognizing the Ostrogothic king as viceroy of the dioceses Daciae and Macedonia. Theodoric, in turn, withdraws from Thracia. The Ostrogoths are officially reinstated as Foederati of the Eastern Roman Empire, but the regions effectively ceded to them become the core of a de facto independent Ostrogothic kingdom.

AD 499

Western Europe

The Vandalic Kingdom recalls its forces from Sicily, as well as Sardinia and Corsica to a lesser degree, in order to defend its African borders from the Berbers who have been fighting the Vandals for years. Under Serena’s influence, Hilderic cedes Sicily back to the Western Roman Empire in exchange for several thousand Herulian Foederati. These Germanic mercenaries transfer to Africa to fight alongside the Vandals with the understanding that they will be permanently settled in the kingdom.

With Syagrius bedridden and near death, de facto control of the government in Soissons defaults to Aurelianus and Clotilde. Nevertheless, they pursue Syagrius’ plans to restore more of Gaul under Roman control despite the current political crisis with the Western Court of Ravenna. Shortly after the victory over Clovis in AD 497, Syagrius’ army has made advances into Visigothic Gaul, retaking Bourges and reaching as far as Clermont with the help of Clotilde’s Burgundian kinsmen.

Alaric II, king of the Visigoths, negotiates a peace treaty with the Roman emissaries of Syagrius’ domain. Syagrius and Aurelianus agree to peace with the Visigoths due to Clovis’ invasion of the lower Rhineland, driving the Alamanni out of the region. This expansion of the Frankish kingdom, combined with the suppression of the Ripuarian Franks, re-strengthens the Salian Franks’ position under Clovis, which the Gallo-Romans and the Burgundians see as a threat.

Eastern Europe

Flavius Illus
takes command of the army in the East as magister militum per Orientum. Outwardly it is a promotion, but it is also seen as an "exile" from the Eastern Court. Illus has grown too powerful in his capacity as Leontius' chief commander, to the point where Leontius feels that he must either kill him or "reward" him with a post worthy of his service. Under the advice of his closest counselors, he chooses the latter so as to not make enemies out of Illus' supporters, in particular the soldiers who serve under his command. He accepts this assignment as an opportunity to secure the loyalty of one of the Empire's strongest armies, as well as to purge the Oriens of the Miaphysite heretics and supporters of the Henotikon.

AD 500

WEST

Romulus Augustus falls ill again, and is confined to the Palace of Honorius in Ravenna for his recovery. Although he does recover, he remains locked in his chambers by the Herulian guards stationed throughout his palace on the orders of his wife, Empress Amalaberge. She had poisoned him before in AD 498, not enough to kill Romulus but to incapacitate him and limit his growing independence. Her plan backfired as her son Joannes was accidentally poisoned as well, resulting in his unplanned death.

Romulus officially remains Emperor, but cannot leave his own palace. His son Gordian IV is promoted in his stead, being allowed to address the Imperial Court in Ravenna and the Senate of Rome, but is very much under his mother’s influence.

Clovis achieves a decisive victory against the Alamanni, who are consequently forced to become a vassal state of the Frankish kingdom. Now effectively sharing a border with Roman Italy, Clovis entreats the Ravenna court to an alliance, arguing that they have a common foe in Syagrius and Chilperic II. Amalaberge, acting "on behalf" of her husband and son, Romulus Augustus and Gordian IV, agrees to a treaty with Clovis, eager to use the Salian Franks as a countermeasure to the threat posed on the Italian northern border by Franks, Burgundians and rebellious Romans in Gaul.

Victorina, the youngest daughter of Romulus and Amalaberge, is sent to Trier, the current Frankish seat of power in Austrasia, where she marries Clovis to cement the new relationship between the king of the Franks and the legitimate Roman government in the West.

Eudocia Perpetua, daughter of Hilderic and Serena, is born in Carthage. She shares her names with her paternal grandmother, Roman princess Eudocia, and Saint Perpetua (Vibia Perpetua) who was martyred in the 3rd century AD.

Eraric, second-born son of Frideric and Helena, is born in Salzburg. His grandfather Feletheus dies within a few weeks of the Rugian-Roman prince’s birth, allowing his father to accede the throne as Fridericus Rex (Frederick I of Rugiland).

Syagrius dies from his infirmities brought on by old age. He is succeeded by Aurelian II (Aurelianus). Clotilde takes a vow of chastity ostensibly to honor her late husband. Regardless, in this state she is able to maintain control over her own estates rather than seeing it transferred to the control of a new husband. She also wields enormous influence as a Burgundian princess and (disputed) former Roman empress. As such, she effectively controls the Gallo-Roman domain as Aurelian’s de facto co-ruler.

Visigothic Civil War

The Visigoths break the treaty with the Gallo-Romans on the grounds that it died with Syagrius. However, their efforts to recapture the cities they lost ends in disaster; Alaric II is killed in battle near Clermont, resulting in a power struggle over his throne.

As Alaric II dies without a legitimate heir, his illegitimate son Gesalec is elected king of the Visigoths. Despite his illegitimacy, support for his rule proves strong with the Visigoths who wish to see the bloodline of Alaric I continue, notwithstanding its end in the legitimate line. Gesalec also has the support of the Gallo-Roman nobility due to his father’s leniency towards the Catholic population. Anianus, a Gallo-Roman nobleman who served as Alaric’s referendary, becomes one of Gesalec’s closest advisors.

However, Hispania’s Visigothic nobility rejects Gesalec due to his illegitimacy and general disillusionment with the recent territorial losses in Gaul. They are led by the so-called Theodoric III, a nobleman who renames himself after Theodoric I despite grabbing power on the basis that the Balt dynasty has officially ended.

With Gesalec in Toulouse and Theodoric III in Toledo, the Visigothic kingdom falls into a state of civil war dividing the realm between Hispania and Gaul.

EAST

Theodoric begins styling himself king or basileus of Macedon (Latin: Macedoniae Rex) in addition to his title king of the Ostrogoths (Gothorum Rex), clearly attempting to create a connection between Macedonia’s ancient heritage embodied by its native Greco-Roman population, and the Ostrogothic migrants they now share the land with. Theodoric holds Alexander the Great in high regard, and seeks to promote himself as the great conqueror’s spiritual successor.

Emperor Leontius dies through palace treachery. His death is blamed on Miaphysites, which creates a mob that lynches the non-Orthodox communities of Constantinople. His widow, Ariadne seeks to influence the accession of the next Emperor; having grown to favor, Anastasius, a palace official that she has known since Zeno's reign, she rallies her supporters to back his candidacy. Anastasius' Illyrian background is arguably more acceptable to the senatorial aristocracy than that of his predecessors, the Syrian Leontius and the Isuarians Longinus and Zeno. Ariadne also intends to bring Anastasius into the House of Leo by marrying him.

Last edited:
AD 500 Map
1603606289975.png

Theodoric establishes the Ostrogothic kingdom over Daciae and Macedonia. Although he controls lands from the lower Danube to Thessalonica, he is as yet unable to enforce his rule in Greece (Achaea) where the eastern Romans reject his rule, despite Constantinople's inability to send aid at the moment. With Leontius' death, his decision to recognize Theodoric as his viceroy over Greek lands dies with him. Anastasius, de facto head of the Imperial Court, makes preparations to restore Imperial rule in Roman Greece.

In Egypt and the Oriens, however, the late Leontius' policies towards Miaphysites and other groups recognized as heretics is causing unrest in these territories. The recalling of Flavius Illus to Constantinople, now to deal with the Ostrogoths, is only encouraging descent among those who oppose Chalcedonian Orthodoxy.

The Western Roman Empire is currently divided between the Imperial Court of Ravenna and the restored Gallo-Roman enclave centered at Noviodunum (Soissons). While Romulus Augustus and Gordian IV are considered the rightful Augusti in the West, Aurelian II maintains his claim as the successor of the late Syagrius (who was never recognized by either Ravenna or Constantinople).

The Visigoths are also embroiled in their own civil war following the untimely death of Alaric II, the last legitimate heir of the Balt dynasty. Although his illegitimate son, Gesalec, rules southern Gaul from Tolossa, the Visigoths in Hispania support the usurper Theodoric III as their king.

The Salian Franks are enjoying renewed success under Clovis, who subdues their Rupuarian kinsmen while also subjugating the Alamanni. Austrasia and Alamannia form the core of his Frankish kingdom, and he has strengthened his relations with Roman Italy in order to weaken the Gallo-Roman domain of Noviodunum.​

Last edited:
Wait, how did the Ostrogoths take up that much of land in Greece? I could maybe see them take lands in the Northern parts of Eastern Ilyria, but it would likely be political suicide for and Emperor to give such core lands in what was the Greco-Roman world to "barbarians."

I know its a minor nitpick, but wouldn't the Romans and Germanic tribes here use Roman names like Tolossa, Lugdunum (Lyon), Noviodunum (Soissons)?

Although he does recover, he remains locked in his chambers by the Herulian guards stationed throughout his palace on the orders of his wife, Empress Amalaberge. She had poisoned him before in AD 498, not enough to kill Romulus but to incapacitate him and limit his growing independence. Her plan backfired as her son Joannes was accidentally poisoned as well, resulting in his unplanned death.
You know on a personal level, I Iike ttl's Romulus Augustus. He seems like a pious, and well-meaning Roman Emperor trying to do his best for Rome. On the other hand I miss the old benevolent sociopath.

Romulus reignites sacred fire of Vesta, the sacred eternal flame of the city of Rome. The fire had been extinguished when Emperor Theodosius I declared the universal end of all pagan rites in the Roman Empire. Romulus decides to reinstitute it in hopes of promoting civic pride in the Roman identity, although he is also careful to reframe it in a Christian context. The Temple of Vesta is reopened as the Church of St. Mary Magdalene, and the fire is relit by the Emperor himself. While his critics grumble, scholars take note of this move with amazement while the average citizens are happy to celebrate with the free food and entertainment that the Emperor provides on this occasion.
Although the traditional senatorial aristocracy balk at this action, Romulus believes it is a natural step in the generational work of assimilating the Western Empire’s non-Roman peoples.

Senators: I can't believe Emperor Romulus is accepting these barbarians as equals to us. Let's engage in more intrigue and corruption that brought the Empire to its current state!
OG Romulus: Ah hello my good Senators
Senators: Shi.....I um.....I mean hello my Emperor. What brings you here today
OG Romulus: Don't you think its a bit chilly in here?
Senators: You're right my Emperor, maybe we should wear some furs.
OG Romulus: I just relighted the fires of the Vestal Virgins
Senators: ..........
OG Romulus: I've noticed that Rome is full of corrupt people scheming against me
Senators: Oh no, but we wouldn't know anything about it. We should conduct a thorough sweep of it.
OG Romulus: I agree. *smiles menacingly* In fact we should light a fire under them to smoke them out especially as fire tends to have an almost purifying quality to it.
Senators: Oh shit!
Romulus: The time has come. Execute Order 66!

Last edited:
Wait, how did the Ostrogoths take up that much of land in Greece? I could maybe see them take lands in the Northern parts of Eastern Ilyria, but it would likely be political suicide for and Emperor to give such core lands in what was the Greco-Roman world to "barbarians."

The map is meant to show what Theodoric is "claiming" to control (as a "viceroy" of Constantinople). In reality he only actually controls parts of Macedonia and Dacia (Moesia), but asserts his claim on Greece (Achaea) as well. OTL Goths more or less "occupied" or inhabited these lands for decades before they ultimately moved westward. Circumstances in the Eastern Empire (i.e. Zeno's death, years of civil war and foreign incursions, the conflict between Longinus and Leontius, etc.) have kind of allowed Theodoric to make the bold move of trying to actually pacify Greece for permanent Ostrogothic settlement, as he did in OTL Italy. However, there are many Romans who are not going to accept this, and will oppose the Ostrogoths for ethnic and religious reasons, and I plan on getting into that in the next few updates.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll update the map to hopefully give a more accurate representation what the Ostrogoths actually control.

Failing to prevent the Osrogothic invasion of Greece is bad for Leontius' as emperor, but now that he's gone it gives the next emperor or someone who is the power behind the throne an opportunity to court great favor with the people by taking back Greece. This land was invaded before even when the ERE was strong, but one way or another the ERE managed to regain its lost lands and hold itself together (until the 600s of course, when things really started going downhill).

I know its a minor nitpick, but wouldn't the Romans and Germanic tribes here use Roman names like Tolossa, Lugdunum (Lyon), Noviodunum (Soissons)?

I've been thinking about using the Latin names for Roman cities to make this timeline feel a little more authentic. I thought it might help if I just use the OTL modern names for readers who might not know that Noviodunum is Soissons, but I think I will switch to the Roman names in future updates, minus exceptions like Rome (Roma) and Constantinople (Constantinopolis) for obvious reasons.

You know on a personal level, I Iike ttl's Romulus Augustus. He seems like a pious, and well-meaning Roman Emperor trying to do his best for Rome. On the other hand I miss the old benevolent sociopath.
So do I. Developing his character in the old timeline was one of the best things about writing it, but I wanted to do something different for this timeline. Personally I think he turned out weak, at least compared to the other version of him. That's saying something though; kind and well-meaning, but weak and malleable versus brutal and deranged, but feared and obeyed.

Last edited:
Timeline (Part 5-A)
PART 5-A (AD 500 to AD 510)

Western Roman Empire

Romulus Augustus
escapes from the palace in Ravenna, disguised as and in the company of slaves. He flees to Rome where he publicly accuses his wife Amalaberge of treason before the Roman Senate. Flavius Agapitus, the urban prefect of Rome, is the first to declare his allegiance to Romulus. The city’s treasury is used to raise an army loyal to the Emperor, who takes up residence in the Palace of Domitian on Palatine Hill.

Although Romulus is popular with the native Roman population, Amalaberge commands the loyalty of most non-Roman Germanic inhabitants in Italy, including the soldiers who compose the Roman army’s Foederati, due to her Germanic heritage as the daughter of Odoacer. They rally to her cause, although officially they are fighting for her Roman son, Gordian IV, for appearance’s sake.

Romulus’ forces are immediately put on the defensive, lacking the strength to push into northern Italy, much less attack Ravenna with its natural defensive location. Despite the odds against them, their resistance is successful for several months and only steadily lose ground but at some cost to Amalaberge’s army. However, the tide shifts even more in the Empress’ favor when the Rugian kingdom chooses to support her side. King Fridericus I leads his army into Italy to support Amalaberge, the mother of his wife, Queen Helena, soon after she gives birth to his third son Theuvanus in AD 502.

With the Rugians from Noricum and Pannonia supplementing Amalaberge’s forces, the remains of Romulus’ army withdraw behind the Aurelian Walls of Rome. The city is stockpiled with supplies and able to withstand the siege for nearly a year, but the Emperor’s calls for aid go unanswered. In AD 503 the walls are finally breached and the city quickly falls to Amalaberge’s troops. Romulus retreats to St. Peter’s Basilica on Vatican Hill for sanctuary, but is handed over to the Empress’ Herulian guards by soldiers loyal to Pope Gordian.

Following the Battle of Rome, Amalaberge controversially allows her army to sack the Eternal City for five days as a reward for their loyalty. However, she does forbid the looting of private estates and businesses belonging to Roman noblemen in order to placate the senatorial aristocracy. The Church and its properties are also off limits; the rest of the city and its people are less fortunate. Amalaberge also has her son-in-law, King Fridericus I, assassinated so that her grandson Fridericus II can accede the Rugian throne, The boy-king's mother, Helena, becomes his regent and his father's death is blamed on Romulus' supporters.

With Pope Gordian’s support, Amalaberge has her husband declared insane to justify putting him under house arrest. Romulus is moved to the Castellum Lucullanum in Campania, to spend the remainder of his “reign” and indeed his life in virtual exile. He is allowed to keep his title so Amalaberge does not lose hers, and with her son Gordian IV as a malleable figurehead, she is now effectively the absolute ruler of the Western Roman Empire in Italy. Although she is still referred to as Augusta (Empress) for official purposes, she also claims the title Mater Patriae (Mother of the Fatherland) and Mater Gordianti Augusti (Mother of Gordianus Augustus). Some begin referring to her as Regina Italiae (Queen of Italy), which she does nothing to discourage.

Amalaberge knows that her hold on power largely depends on maintaining the loyalty, or at the very least, the obedience of the senatorial aristocracy. She promotes multiple high-born Romans to positions of great authority and wealth in order to keep them in line. This includes:
  • Anicius Manlius Severinus Boëthius as magister officorum (Master of Offices) despite his young age;
  • Flavius Ennodius Messala as quaestor sacri palatii (Quaestor of the Sacred Palace);
  • Petrus Marcellinus Felix Liberius as comes sacrarum largitionum (Count of the Sacred Largesses).
Amalaberge still reveals her ruthless side by liquidating the Senate of its members who are loyal to Romulus or harbor overt anti-Germanic sentiment. She plies its remaining members by allowing them to confiscate the wealth and properties of their proscribed colleagues while appointing new senators loyal to herself. All of her actions are carried out in her son’s name, but her hold on power becomes so blatant that even her longtime supporter, Pope Gordian feels the need to rein her in out of embarrassment of being seen as the “creature or slave of a power-mad she-wolf.” He is soon found dead, drowned in his private baths in the Lateran Palace in AD 508. He is succeeded by Pope Leo II, a Roman of noble birth and a known member of the Empress’ inner circle.

Amalaberge’s reign becomes more tyrannical; she rescinds Romulus’ decree lowering taxes in the Italian regions with weaker economies, including Liguria which suffered much from Burgundian incursions. Gordian IV, by now 21 years-old, grows to resent his mother’s control. However, as the only people even allowed near him are personally chosen by Amalaberge, he is virtually as powerless as his father, who remains locked away in Campania. She also grows more indolent, losing interest in administration she turns such matters over to courtiers who abuse the system in order to increase their own profits. Amalaberge also ignores her daughter Helena's pleas for assistance as Lombards and Gepids invade Pannonia, steadily driving the Rugians out of the province. Despite the request coming from her daughter on her grandson's behalf, the Empress has no intention of weakening Italy's military garrison for Rugia, which she now considers a virtually worthless vassal and outpost of the Empire.

By AD 510 Amalaberge is in her late forties and surrenders herself to complete vanity as well as all sorts of vices. She has a bronze statue modeled on of the winged goddess of Victory placed in the Great Senate Hall of Rome, but the face of the statue bears her likeness. She also spends lavishly on banquets and parties that lasted for weeks. She commissions a new palace for herself in Ravenna, using the one in Constantinople as a template. Her vanity projects all but empty the Western Empire's coffers. When the Senate protests her actions, she uses the St. Appolinaris' Basilica in Ravenna as a brothel staffed by Roman noblewomen for use by her palace officials and Germanic soldiers. The senatorial aristocracy is outraged, as are common Romans and non-Romans alike. Civil unrest spreads across parts of Italy.

Finally Amalaberge’s own court has had enough when she angrily demands that orders be issued for the burning down of Rome. Refusing to comply, she is strangled to death in her chambers on the orders of her own palace chamberlain. Magister Officorum Boëthius effectively seizes power in Ravenna by assuming control over Gordian IV, while Pope Leo II retrieves Romulus Augustus from the Castellum Lucullanum and brings him to Rome.

1603648125026.png

A M A L A B E R G E

Next Update: Eastern Roman Empire (AD 500 to AD 510)
Note: The next few updates will follow this format as I feel more details are required at the moment. For brevity's sake I will return to the previous format I used in Parts I and II.

Last edited:
@Romulus Augustus
Honestly I feel like Romulus is one step away from breaking at the moment. The increasingly worsening situation would force him to bloody his hands taking drastic measures to undue the damage caused by his wife. I can see him become very paranoid and forced into swift decisive leadership.

Basil II while intelligent, was basically a sheltered palace prince all his life. He was essentially a puppet throughout most of his childhood through which the bureaucracy or military aristocrats ruled with him as a figurehead for legitimacy. Basil II and Constantine VIII were only kept around because of the loyalty of the commons to the the dynasty. In fact most people thought that they'd eventually be forced into a monastery or deposed. Instead Basil launched a surprise and very well-coordinated coup retaking full power and authority for himself. Of course in his youthful impetuousness and arrogance, he chose to lead an army into Bulgaria to reconquer lost land. However he suffered a crushing defeat at the Battle of Trajan's gate which triggered a civil war against him.

Basil was so shocked and sobered by this experience that he abandoned his indolent and playboy lifestyle choosing to instead adopt an ascetic lifestyle as that of monks and more pious emperors. He became celibate where he once was an avid womanizer and devote his life to the army and the state devoting his focus towards a slow and methodical conquest of Bulgaria.

Finally Amalaberge’s own court has had enough when she angrily demands that orders be issued for the burning down of Rome. Refusing to comply, she is strangled to death in her chambers on the orders of her own palace chamberlain.
Ding Dong the With is dead!

Honestly I'm shocked that she was able to last for so long. I guess she's ttl's Cersei Lannister here in Roman history with her ranking among unsavory Roman characters such as Valeria Messalina.

Interlude: Constantinople
Note: I altered some details in Part 4 concerning the Eastern Empire after Leontius' death.
/
/
/
Interlude: Constantinople (AD 500)
A succession crisis ensues from the death of Emperor Leontius, who leaves behind neither a natural heir nor an adopted successor. His widow, Ariadne, having only married the Syrian rebel after he successfully usurped the throne from Longinus, who usurped his own brother Zeno (Ariadne's first husband), seeks to influence the accession of the next Emperor of the Eastern Roman Empire. Anastasius, an Illyrian official who has served in the Imperial Palace under the successive reigns of Zeno, Longinus and Leontius, is a favorite of the Empress. However, Ariadne overestimates her own influence. Although she is the heiress of the Imperial House of Leo, the civil wars between Zeno, Longinus and Leontius, as well as the various proxy wars with external and internal foes, have significantly weakened her family's hold on power.

Leontius' own actions as Emperor ironically undermines Ariadne's plans for the succession. Prior to his death, he began favoring Dagalaiphus Areobindus, a distinguished nobleman of mixed Roman and barbarian ancestry. With the Emperor's support, Areobindus gained the consulship and joined the ranks of the praesental magistri in AD 496. Leontius strengthened his position with the ruling class of Constantinople by favoring noblemen such as Areobindus, but in the process he also allowed Areobindus to gain near unrivaled power and influence by controlling the capital in the Emperor's name. He is also linked to the prestigious House of Theodosius through his marriage to Anicia Juliana, a direct descendant of the Emperors Theodosius the Great, Theodosius II and Valentinian III.

Although Juliana has never been regarded for her ambition, she realizes that there is a real chance to restore her family to power. In addition she also resolutely opposes heresy, including the Monophysite leanings of Anastasius, and is eager to use Imperial power to promote her pro-Roman views. She persuades Areobindus to make a play for the Imperial throne whilst it remains vacant, although they both know that Areobindus himself might not receive the full backing of the Roman people due to his barbarian ancestry. Instead they promote their son, Flavius Olybrius (named for his grandfather, a Western Emperor), knowing that he will be a much more suitable candidate to the senatorial aristocracy.

The Imperial Court ultimately rejects Anastasius out of preference for Olybrius, who is raised to the throne by the Scholae Palatinae and the Excubitores after his parents bribe the loyalties of their commanding officers, the Magister Officiorum and the Comes Excubitorum. Anastasius and Ariadne are both confined to the Great Palace by the Excubitors, ostensibly to live as guests of Emperor Olybrius, but in reality it is to ensure that they do not incite a revolt against the new regime. The citizens of Constantinople accept Olybrius because of his mother's Theodosian heritage and the family's overall Chalcedonian leanings, which ensures that the Eastern Empire will continue to maintain its opposition to Monophysitism and other heresies.

Although Olybrius is old enough to rule in his own right, it is his more accomplished father who holds the real power, allowing Areobindus to serve as a de facto regent similar to the way Orestes ruled through his son Romulus Augustus. Juliana uses her new status as mother of Emperor to take the honorific Augusta for herself.

1603757432781.png

Consul Areobindus (left) and Anicia Juliana Augusta (right)

1603757848331.png

The Excubitores raise Olybrius on a shield
as he is crowned Emperor of the Romans
by the Patriarch of Constantinople.​

Another solid chapter! I can't wait to see how the East handles things.

Will a certain peasant named Flavius Petrus Sabbatius make an appearance in ttl?
Thanks! I didn't plan on getting this much into the Eastern Empire, given the original title of this thread, but I think it's almost unavoidable. In many ways the ERE and WRE function like separate governments, but they're still officially "one empire" and their politics are so intertwined. I changed the title due to how much this timeline is covering events outside of the WRE, but I'm not really sure what I think of it. For now it's just placeholder until I come up with something better, although I am open to suggestions.

As for TTL's Petrus Sabbatius/Justinian, I wouldn't discount the possibility of him making an appearance. I'm not sure what role I see him playing here. The POD takes place before his birth in the early AD 480s, but it's still close enough that I can see some alternate version of him existing. Besides, the fact that his family rose to Imperial power despite their very modest background (to put it kindly) and survived the backlash of the much more high-born Roman aristocracy of Constantinople means that, in my view, they are certainly capable of gaining power and influence in more than just one timeline.

List of Roman Emperors
Note: Part 5-B (Eastern Roman Empire, AD 500 to AD 510) is not ready yet, but I thought it would be helpful to create a list of Emperors who have reigned since the POD of TTL.

1603774074724.png

Augusti
The Age of Emperors
Western Roman Empire
  1. Julius Nepos (AD 474 – AD 485)
  2. Romulus Augustus (since AD 475)​
  3. Syagrius (AD 497 – AD 500)​
  4. Gordian IV (since AD 498)​
  5. Aurelian II (since AD 500)​
  • Julius Nepos is connected to the House of Leo through his marriage to a niece of Leo I. He becomes Emperor in the West in AD 474, but flees to Dalmatia in exile after Orestes, his magister militum, leads the Foederati in revolt. He is killed in AD 485 whilst campaigning to reconquer Italy.
  • Romulus Augustus is the son of Orestes, and by his marriage to Amalaberge he is the son-in-law of Odoacer. Although he becomes Emperor in the West in AD 475, it is not until AD 496 when he is officially recognized as such by the Eastern Roman Empire.
  • Syagrius is the son of Aegidius, the magister militum of Gaul. He reclaims his father's domain from the Salian Franks with the combined support of Gallo-Romans and Burgundians, although his acclamation as Emperor automatically makes him an enemy of the Imperial state as neither Ravenna nor Constantinople recognize him as one of the Augusti.
  • Gordian IV, the sole surviving son of Romulus Augustus and Amalaberge, is proclaimed his father's co-emperor (a junior Augustus) in AD 498, roughly a year after Syagrius was illegally proclaimed Emperor in Noviodunum.
  • Aurelian II is the self-appointed successor of Syagrius, who dies in AD 500. He previously served as one of Syagrius' most trusted advisers and commanders, and he is also a close confidant of Syagrius' widow, the Burgundian princess Clotilde. Like his predecessor, Aurelian II is regarded as a usurper by the Imperial governments in Ravenna and Constantinople.
Eastern Roman Empire
  1. Zeno (AD 474 – AD 488)
  2. Basiliscus (AD 475 – AD 476)
  3. Leontius (AD 484 – AD 500)
  4. Longinus (AD 486 – AD 495)
  5. Olybrius (since AD 500)
  • Zeno is the father of Emperor Leo II. His wife Ariadne is the daughter of Emperor Leo I and Empress Verina. He was briefly deposed by Basiliscus, the brother of Verina, but returns to power and kills his rival.
  • In AD 484, Leontius is declared Emperor in opposition to Zeno. Longinus, the brother of Zeno, starts his own rebellion by declaring himself Emperor and forging an alliance with Theodoric Strabo. Zeno's reign effectively ends when he is driven from Constantinople and captured by Flavius Illus, a supporter of Leontius. He dies in captivity a few years later.
  • Leontius wins the civil war against Longinus, who is executed after Leontius gains control of Constantinople in AD 495. Leontius becomes the first Eastern Emperor to formally recognize Romulus Augustus as a legitimate Western Emperor.
  • Leontius dies in AD 500. Ariadne attempts to make her favorite courtier, Anastasius, the new Emperor but the Imperial Court is co-opted by Areobindus and Anicia Juliana in favor of their son, Olybrius, who becomes Emperor with the support of the senatorial aristocracy, the Chalcedonian population of Constantinople, and palace units such as the Scholae Palatinae and the elite Excubitores. The accession of Olybrius restores the House of Theodosius to Imperial power in the Eastern Roman Empire.

Last edited: