War of the Worlds sequel by Stephen Baxter

I wonder how many sequels to WotW are out there. I have one by George H. Smith titled 'The Second War of the Worlds', which was actually the middle book in the Anwnn (IIRC) world trilogy...

Pkmatrix

Monthly Donor
I wonder how many sequels to WotW are out there. I have one by George H. Smith titled 'The Second War of the Worlds', which was actually the middle book in the Anwnn (IIRC) world trilogy...

I'm pretty sure it's a genre unto itself. I've got the earliest known one, Edison's Conquest of Mars by Garrett P. Servis published in 1898, which is fascinating because it pretty much was the origin point for most of what we now call Space Opera.

I have both of those, haven't read THE SECOND WAR OF THE WORDS in decades while I still need to get to the Edison book. There's also DISPATCHES FROM THE WAR (an anthology, can't remember the authors), still need to read it as well...

It's about Time that Stephen Baxter make a Sequel to "War of the Worlds" by Wells
he made the official sequel to "The Time Machine" with unique twist and turns

That a BBC critic had to say this: Stephen Baxter is arguably Wells's current representative on Earth

Other adaptations i can highly recommend is the comic Scarlet Traces by Ian Edginton and illustrated by D'Israeli.
First book Scarlet Traces plays in 1908 in aftermath of Martian Invasion
Second book The Great Game happens in 1938 as Earth Invades Mars what ended a in disaster
Third book The Cold War take place in 1968 since events of Mars, Earth is in cold war with Martian
but last one have master plan to murder rest of solar system and move on to next star system...

What i like about Scarlet Traces that Ian Edginton intelligence story and D'Israeli artwork has tons of references and homage
next Wells work, it feature also Dan Dare, Dr Who, Gerry Anderson series and Hammers "Quatermass and the Pit"
And other Sci-Fi references in story that's make wonderful to read

like this Homage to Gerry Anderson work in first page of Scarlet Traces: The Cold War

2000AD-1998-28-628x816.png

SCARLETT TRACES and SCARLETT TRACES: THE GREAT GAME (from Dark Horse Comics) were excellent and worthy successors to the original novel...

The most amusing one I've ever read was in 2000AD, with, I think ... its been a while and I could be wrong, Sherlock Holmes investigating a series of disappearances in the aftermath of the Invasion.

(Being 2000AD it got Grimdark really fast!)

I've read it, and quite enjoyed it. The writing style is a mix of the original and modern. Much of the scientific concepts of the time of the original, that were used or described in the book, were kept, even if we today know they are wrong, so as to keep the same universe and events logical.

Just finished the book, after picking it up in paperback from my local library.
I liked it, although I do disagree with some things such as the timing of the original invasion as 1907, and how Britain became quasi Fascist state between the first Invasion and 1920.
Some great ideas of how the original book is viewed in the universe of the invasion and how the narrator (now named as Walter Jenkins) is regarded.
Some great tie in's to the original book (which in the universe of the book is not a novel it is a first hand account of a historical event). I will not spoil those here, also when reading it, I made sure I had a copy of the original book alongside. Also some great nods to the George Pal movie and the Orson Wells radio play (one brief line made me punch the air!!!)
Worth reading and a worthy sequel to the HG Wells classic (his best book by miles in my opinion).