War of the Belgian succession possible?

At the turn of the 20th century, the line of succession of the Crown of the Belgians was *very* short. In 1900 Leopold II (died in 1909) 's heir presumptive was his brother Prince Philippe (who died in 1905) . Philippe had one living son, OTL Albert I, who himself had a son (OTL Leopold III) in 1901.

(There were daughters and sisters, but Belgium used Salic Law)

So, OTL Albert I dies dies on his wedding day (2 October 1900) and the Belgian Throne begins its approximately 10 year count down to non-existance.

Out of Britain, France, German and the Netherlands, what sort of ideas are likely to occur as to the future of Belgium?

Note this is around the time of Fashoda and the *very* beginning of the Entente Cordial, so a British/German alignment on the question is *possible*.

At the turn of the 20th century, the line of succession of the Crown of the Belgians was *very* short. In 1900 Leopold II (died in 1909) 's heir presumptive was his brother Prince Philippe (who died in 1905) . Philippe had one living son, OTL Albert I, who himself had a son (OTL Leopold III) in 1901.

(There were daughters and sisters, but Belgium used Salic Law)

So, OTL Albert I dies dies on his wedding day (2 October 1900) and the Belgian Throne begins its approximately 10 year count down to non-existance.

Out of Britain, France, German and the Netherlands, what sort of ideas are likely to occur as to the future of Belgium?

Note this is around the time of Fashoda and the *very* beginning of the Entente Cordial, so a British/German alignment on the question is *possible*.
By this point the age of succession wars was over though, especially in the case of democracy's like Belgium. There might be domestic squabbles though. Does the Belgian constitution allow the Belgian Parlement to appoint a successor? I know the Dutch constitution does.

By this point the age of succession wars was over though, especially in the case of democracy's like Belgium. There might be domestic squabbles though. Does the Belgian constitution allow the Belgian Parlement to appoint a successor? I know the Dutch constitution does.

Per Wiki

Article 86 provides that, in the event that there are no descendants of King Leopold I, the King can name a successor with the consent of both Chambers of the Federal Parliament. This consent cannot be given unless a quorum of at least two-thirds of its members is present and at least two-thirds of the votes cast are in the affirmative. In case no successor has been appointed in this manner, the throne is vacant. Article 95 stipulates that, in the event that the throne is vacant, the United Chambers meet to provisionally provide for the regency. Subsequently, a federal election must take place and the newly elected Federal Parliament must meet within two months to permanently fill the vacancy.

While I would like to believe we were past the era of succession wars there nearly was one when Spain invited a German to be king in 1869 and France threatened war.

I think Belgian Congo (at the time personal colony of the monarch rather than a Belgian colony) would be more likely to fire off a war than mainland Belgium.

Bordering British French and German colonies things could be interesting.

Per Wiki

Article 86 provides that, in the event that there are no descendants of King Leopold I, the King can name a successor with the consent of both Chambers of the Federal Parliament. This consent cannot be given unless a quorum of at least two-thirds of its members is present and at least two-thirds of the votes cast are in the affirmative. In case no successor has been appointed in this manner, the throne is vacant. Article 95 stipulates that, in the event that the throne is vacant, the United Chambers meet to provisionally provide for the regency. Subsequently, a federal election must take place and the newly elected Federal Parliament must meet within two months to permanently fill the vacancy.
Of course this assumes they can come to an agreement on who to select...

Of course this assumes they can come to an agreement on who to select...
Pretty easy. Leopold II oldest daughter was married to a Saxe Coburg and Gotha prince (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Philipp_of_Saxe-Coburg_and_Gotha), so of the same house. Though the marriage was disaster they did have a son named Leopold together. Though he was later involved in a scandal in Hungary that wouldnt happen if he becomes king of Belgium early enough.

Leopold II other daughters were married to the Austrian crown prince and a Napoleon. Especially the latter would be hilarious if they get the throne.