War of 1812. The french twist

We only won in a battle after the war had ended. Don't you think it's unfair to call that a victory? I mean, when the other said says "Alright guys, time to pack up and go home" and the other says "CHARGE!"..that isn't a victory. It's "Peace has bee made..but let's charge at these guys anyway!"

Well, the Brits were the ones who charged. They'd dragged out the peace talks as long as they could to give time for their forces at New Orleans to capture the city. If they had been successful, it wouldn't have really mattered what the peace treaty said about New Orleans, it'd be in British hands and they'd control the mouth of the Mississippi.

So since the US didn't lose ground and got formal recognition over the Louisiana Territory (The British still saw it as a Spanish Holding), I'll call that a win.

It is nice to finally meet an american who thinks we won.:) The british might have won more battles, but we won the battles that counted!:):):D

We all know the war of 1812. I would like you, the reader of this thread, to come up with a way for the war of 1812 to be against france or spain. Good luck.

Well, apparently, people don't know the war of 1812. Quick refresher:

Britain AND France were seizing American ships during the 18zero's to supply men for their navies. This is impressment, and we hated it. Britain also was accused (somewhat accurately) of inciting the Native American tribes in the NW (michigan and area) to fight the expanding Americans. There were internal US issues such as New England not wanting to fight and the west (Oh, Kt, and Te) really wanting to fight. Under great pressure, Madison declared war on Britain (via Canada) in 1812.
The US unofficial goal was to gain Canada (early Manifest destiny). Well, on land in 1812, we made NO progress towards Montreal, lost a few hundred troops along the Niagra frontier, and lost all three forts (Stephenson, Michilimackinac, and Detroit) guarding the triangle that was Michigan. The only vaguely American success was in killing the British's best general, Sir Isaac Brock (who was very good).
In 1813, no new progress towards either Montreal or Niagra (in fact, we lost 2 more battles towards Montreal). We held our own in hastily build Fort Meigs in Indiana Territory (courtesy of General/Territory Governor/Future President Harrison), lost decisively at the River Raisin, then won the naval conflict on Lake Erie (Think Oliver Perry: "we have met the enemy and they are ours"), and then won a battle in Upper Canada, which ultimately meant nothing since we retreated again.
In 1814, we won the battle of Chippewa, held our own at the very bloody battle of Lundy's Lane (both due to Winfield Scott), along the Niagra, but then retreated. So all of OUR invasions were over.

On the Native American Front, in 1811 Harrison destroyed Prophetstown. At the Upper Canada Battle in 1813 His forces also killed Tecumseh. In the SW, in Mississippi and Alabama Territory we got involved with the Spanish in the Creek wars (a sub-part of the War of 1812), and Andrew Jackson ultimately enjoyed great victory.

At sea, our few frigates did very well in single ship engagements, (old iron-sides) but then they were all blockaded.

Then, once Napoleon was exiled the 1st time, Britain sent 4 brigades to America. Three went down Lake Champlain, where they would have won if the navy had kept up (we won the naval battle there). The fourth was shipped to Washington DC, which it burned, and then onto Baltimore, which stood (think Key and Fort McHenry [fun fact, the fort's commander was the uncle of Lewis Armistead, as in high-water-mark at Pickett's charge]). That brigade was joined by others from the Carribean, reached the outskirts of New Orleans, and were met by 4000 troops under Jackson again. After the Christmas Peace Treaty had been signed at Ghent, and before either combatant could know about it, the British attacked (Casualties = 13 for America, 2000 for Britain) and lost badly. It was only a moral victory, but it carried Jackson to the White House.

ANYWAY......America never would have fought France directly from any small deviation from real-time. She may have focused more on Spain and the Floridas, rather than Britain and Canada. However, no scenario I have read in this thing has simultaneously satisfied the original conditions and been believable.:(

It is nice to finally meet an american who thinks we won.:) The british might have won more battles, but we won the battles that counted!:):):D
Canada won 18 to 12. Besides how do you think the USA won if it didn't accomplish it's goal of conquering Canada?

Great Britain won the war of 1812, not Canada.

Now, as to how Napoleon would be so deranged as to declare war on the US when he can not send any forces to save Louisiana due to that pesky little British blockade AND he's adding the US to Great Britain's list of allies while also removing any possible British concern over a US land grab against Canada...

This is even more pleasant for the British because an actual French troop presence means the US fields a larger peace-time military and is therefore both more useful as an ally but potentially more irritating as a foe.

The US lost the war. Period. None of the goals on which the war was supposedly based were met, even the issue of impressment. Not for nothing did an exceptional team of US diplomats rush to accept an offer based on the status quo. It isn't a win when you start the war and @30 months later are happy to go home without losing substantial territory.

The french lack any real significant forces in theater... so Nappy will need to get himself and a large army (i.e. a bloody heap of troop transports) past the RN. Given the naval situation post-Trafalgar we're talking Seelowe levels of probability.

I think you might find you are incorrect in this assumption. After Trafalgar, Napoleon embarked on a huge building programme which would have given him at least parity with the British by 1814.

Meanwhile, Britain was facing a three major problems;
  • Maintenance costs were going through the roof for its aging fleet as they were hard used while blockading the French ports 24/7, 356 days a year.
  • The prime wood from the Baltic was no longer available in quantity, forcing England to use less suitable wood for its ships which only increased maintenance costs.
  • British financial resources were stretched as it had to support its continental allies as well as its navy and the steadily increasing army.
If the royal navy indeed had to scrap old ships no longer suitable for service, France would actually have had superior numbers in ships of the line by 1814. Indeed, it was this fear that led to the British invasion of Antwerp, to destroy the shipyards.

Now, there would have been a wide gap in quality between French crews and British crews but the French did have the Dutch on their side in 1812 and they certainly weren’t strangers to beating the English. So this 1812 scenario isn’t as far fetched as the some believe SeaLion to be.

I agree with Grimm Reaper over the impressment issue. But I still think it was a draw. We still survived after you burned our capitol and beat you at baltimore so it wasn't a total loss. It showed our strength to the world. And you worked with us at the Monroe Doctrine, even if you weren't in it. You gave us the idea for it.

I think you might find you are incorrect in this assumption. After Trafalgar, Napoleon embarked on a huge building programme which would have given him at least parity with the British by 1814.
But poorly trained crews! Hence, if Nappy puts to sea, the chances are the poms will have just got themselves a couple of dozen new ships of the line.
:D
Now, there would have been a wide gap in quality between French crews and British crews but the French did have the Dutch on their side in 1812 and they certainly weren’t strangers to beating the English. So this 1812 scenario isn’t as far fetched as the some believe SeaLion to be.
Uhm... You're aware that by the Napoleonic Wars it had been over a century since the Anglo-Dutch Wars, the major series of encounters when the Dutch displayed some naval advantages over the poms... thus it's largely irrelvent.

Plus the Dutch would only be manning a tiny proportion of the french fleet... likely not enough to make a differance.

Baskilisk

Banned
No, second line British forces fought you to a standstill while the poms were busily dealing with one Nappy Blown-a-part over in Europe.

I mean you yanks invaded Canada but failed misrably... true, you gave one or two British expeditions a bloody nose, but that hardly counts as fighting the poms to a standstill.
The war with Napolean was over soon after the war of 1812 started. 1814, i think? Don't cite me, I'm probably wrong. The Brits invaded the Cheasapeake after that, burned Washington, and were stompted at Baltimore.
Argueably, the Canadian campaign could have been won if there was a single, unified assault on just Montreal, instead of three foolish seperate invasions. At the time, the goal was to grab a bunch of land to use as collatoral against the British, as opposed to the popular belief that it was about conquering, so the separate invasions made more sense.

Baskilisk

Banned
We only won in a battle after the war had ended. Don't you think it's unfair to call that a victory? I mean, when the other said says "Alright guys, time to pack up and go home" and the other says "CHARGE!"..that isn't a victory. It's "Peace has bee made..but let's charge at these guys anyway!"
The Battle of New Orleans was fought so soon after the peace was made they couldn't have possibly known.
It's silly how many modern Americans, Canadians, and Brits think the war was fought over Canada. And even sillier that the USA lost. Ultimately the winners are the Canadians, as they're still independant to this day. It didn't have much of an effect on the rest of the British, except they learned that the USA wasn't on the verge of falling apart at any moment and they could always get their wheat from Argentina instead.

Baskilisk

Banned
Canada won 18 to 12. Besides how do you think the USA won if it didn't accomplish it's goal of conquering Canada?
Once again, the goal wasn't to conquer Canada, it was to gain control of it. The war was never about Canada, that was just a staging ground. The war was about prestige, social, and economic independance. And proving that the USA wan't on the verge of falling back into British hands.
And (as been pointed out), the Canadians didn't beat the USA, the British did. Had the British taken French leave (sorry, I thought that felt fitting considering the subject) and left the Canadians to fight the USA alone, Americans would have been in York and Quebec in a month. Actually, I don't think it took much longer than that to get York, actually.

1812 Peace overtures

One way of changing it would have been for Alexander Hamilton to have survived his duel with Aaron Burr and purseud a cooperative policy towards Britain. In return there would be no press ganging of American crews and no need to search American ships. The United States Navy would deal with any American ships that were breaking the blockade. Britain would not be arming the Cree and Shawnee Nations

We all know the war of 1812. I would like you, the reader of this thread, to come up with a way for the war of 1812 to be against france or spain. Good luck.

AHem.

War of 1812 was France + allies against Russia ( + allies ) in OTL.

There was some minor spat on the side, but that doesn't really count.

:D:D:D:D:D

I agree with Grimm Reaper over the impressment issue. But I still think it was a draw. We still survived after you burned our capitol and beat you at baltimore so it wasn't a total loss. It showed our strength to the world. And you worked with us at the Monroe Doctrine, even if you weren't in it. You gave us the idea for it.

I steal someone else's fine analogy here, may whoever it was forgive me, but anyway:

Imagine this: in 1944, fully engaged in a vast war against the Axis across the globe, the US finds it strategically necessary to seize some Mexican ships in a minor violation of international law. Mexican hawks get the country to declare war, believing that recovering the old border will be a matter of marching. Needless to say the Mexican army is whomped by the local national guard units in numerous embarrasing defeats and forced back to the border. America imposes a blockade on top of all its other naval commitments and the Rio Grande area (of Mexico) makes serious noises about seceding and the Mayans rebel. American national cross Mexican borders as the Mexican economy suffers. Mexico city is demolished from the air in a disciplined exercise. The Mexicans manage to defeat the Mayans and send a team of superb diplomats to Washington who manage a status-quo peace, not even resolving the original issue of the seized shipping. America accepts in order to concentrate on the Axis. After the war is formally over, an ill-considered attempt to take Veracruz is defeated by Mexico.

Over a century later, Mexicans on the internet seriously claim that their country was victorious because it "showed America that we weren't going to be pushed around" and "we preserved our independence and borders", ignoring the fact that the war was naked aggression on their part in the first place.

America = British Empire.

Mexico = America.

Axis = European commitments.

I steal someone else's fine analogy here, may whoever it was forgive me, but anyway:

Imagine this: in 1944, fully engaged in a vast war against the Axis across the globe, the US finds it strategically necessary to seize some Mexican ships in a minor violation of international law. Mexican hawks get the country to declare war, believing that recovering the old border will be a matter of marching. Needless to say the Mexican army is whomped by the local national guard units in numerous embarrasing defeats and forced back to the border. America imposes a blockade on top of all its other naval commitments and the Rio Grande area (of Mexico) makes serious noises about seceding and the Mayans rebel. American national cross Mexican borders as the Mexican economy suffers. Mexico city is demolished from the air in a disciplined exercise. The Mexicans manage to defeat the Mayans and send a team of superb diplomats to Washington who manage a status-quo peace, not even resolving the original issue of the seized shipping. America accepts in order to concentrate on the Axis. After the war is formally over, an ill-considered attempt to take Veracruz is defeated by Mexico.

Over a century later, Mexicans on the internet seriously claim that their country was victorious because it "showed America that we weren't going to be pushed around" and "we preserved our independence and borders", ignoring the fact that the war was naked aggression on their part in the first place.

America = British Empire.

Mexico = America.

Axis = European commitments.

I don't think this quite works as a parallel.